Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue)

Author
jarar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/01/23 01:42:31 (permalink)

Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue)

Hi folks,

I'm converting from SX to Sonar. Anyways, I'm learning my way around Sonar 5 and I must say I'm liking this way better then Cubase (which I've been using for years), but this latency issue is driving me bonkers.
I've got a Motu 828, and thats set to I think 128 buffer size. Works great in Cubase - I can hear no latency when tracking vocals, guitars..etc.
Now in Sonar, I'm hearing very real and frustrating latency. I've got the slider all the way to the left. Is there something I'm missing? Should I reduce the Motu's buffer size even more?

A sidenote, the Pantheon reverb is beautiful.

Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue) 2006/01/23 03:03:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jarar

Hi folks,

I'm converting from SX to Sonar. Anyways, I'm learning my way around Sonar 5 and I must say I'm liking this way better then Cubase (which I've been using for years), but this latency issue is driving me bonkers.
    I've got a Motu 828, and thats set to I think 128 buffer size. Works great in Cubase - I can hear no latency when tracking vocals, guitars..etc.
    Now in Sonar, I'm hearing very real and frustrating latency. I've got the slider all the way to the left. Is there something I'm missing? Should I reduce the Motu's buffer size even more?

A sidenote, the Pantheon reverb is beautiful.

Thanks

On Sonar, are you using ASIO, MME or WDM/KS drivers (!! The slider won't work with ASIO drivers (works only with WDM and MME))?

If MME (32-bit) or WDM/KS drivers then run "Wave profiler" (button) first, and then set the final latency (lower) by sliding the Mixing latency slider left to the position you like (lets say to 3 ms).

If ASIO drivers then open the ASIO panel (by pressing the "ASIO Panel" -button) and adjust the latecy to the value you want.

Junski

dude24man
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue) 2006/01/23 08:27:50 (permalink)
    ASIO is the way to go, just go to options, audio and change WDM to ASIO. Arthur www.dmsstudio.com
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue) 2006/01/23 11:22:45 (permalink)
    Right... what they said.

I "converted" from Cubase as well, and it took a couple of times to figure out NOT to move the slider for ASIO drivers. Use the Control Panel, which will open the 828 dialog, and set things there.

I have an 828 as well, a MK1 not a MK 2, and I couldn't get the WDM drivers to work well at all, so I chose to use the ASIO drivers. I could get it to work alright at the lowest buffer setting, but none of the others sounded like "no" latency. Personally, I had much the same problem with the 828 on Cubase SL2, in addition to their famed midi timing bug that drove me beyond crazy (and finally away from the product).

Glad you like Sonar... I love it. I can nearly ignore software development issues once everything is configured, and concentrate on music.

The drivers for the 828 are years old, and predate Windows SP2, and far predate Sonar 5...
    Do you have a MK1 828, or a MK2?

This next bit is just opinion, but seems to be backed up by their (MOTU) driver release cycle:
    - MOTU has all but abandoned Windows users of their "old" products. Their forum, as well as this forum, as well as the Cubase forum has loads of Windows users with issues that aren't being fixed, though the mac users seem to be doing alright with them.

Personally, I gave up on the 828 when as an experiment I hooked my MUCH cheaper Presonus Firebox to the same system and my latency issues disappeared (much more current driver work going on there).

Not trying to swing you away from MOTU... oh wait... maybe I am.
    Sorry MOTU - you've got to keep drivers current.

Anyway, I had luck with the 828 for 3 years or so, so I suppose I can't complain?
    Good luck.
    soccerman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue) 2006/01/23 13:31:14 (permalink)
    Try this:

1) Use ASIO or WDM drivers (as some have said, perhaps the card's drivers favor one over the other, so you may have to try both)

2) Choose a buffer size for your audio card that's appropriate (smaller the buffer the better the latency, but 128 should be fine)

3) DELETE AUD.INI! (close Sonar first, BTW. I've found this step is often necesary above and beyond just re-running the wave profiler after changing audio settings and buffers, driver type, etc.)

4) Run Sonar (say yes when it asks you if you want to rofile your audio card)
    post edited by soccerman - 2006/01/23 13:36:53
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Help this Sonar convert! (Latency issue) 2006/02/07 17:02:52 (permalink)
    This next bit is just opinion, but seems to be backed up by their (MOTU) driver release cycle:
    - MOTU has all but abandoned Windows users of their "old" products. Their forum, as well as this forum, as well as the Cubase forum has loads of Windows users with issues that aren't being fixed, though the mac users seem to be doing alright with them.

in fact, if you go to Motu's unofficial forum there is a lot of grumbling about MOTUs wintel support. But the moderator is a pro Motu pro-mac guy, so he closes threads, moves them, etc to keep the appearence of any negative remarks off the front page. As somebody over there said, MOTU needs to stop advertising that they ar windows compatible if they arent willing to do the work. "walk the talk" so to speak. I like the functinoality of the 828 mkII. I was astounded that it had so many features and can also function as a stand alone 18 by 8 mixer. But it doesnt really matter what features it has if it doesnt work. I personally cant get the "new" (one year old this saturday) driver to work on my system so I have been using the old one for a while now. Not to mention the absurd lack of any ongoing driver support, 64bit drivers, or even semi conscious tech support

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1