Author
sagaman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/11/22 10:05:12 (permalink)

Help with Midi Device Input

Hello all,

My first post...

I recently had to re-format my HD, and re-install.   I decided only to install, Sonar 7 and 8, due to previous projects.

I no longer see my sound card, nor my sound from my Mobo, as a midi device input. 

Earlier I did get an error message stating the my drivers either do not support the current audio format, or in use by another application.  Choose , if you want to disable or use them anyway.

After this message, I did change my driver mode to MME-32 bit.  This resolved the midi device output, but not the midi device in.

I'm planning to change my sound card: to M-Audio shortly.

Any help please?
Thank you in advance,
Gates

Gates
My system:
XP Professional sp3
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual core 4600+ 2.41 ghz
3 gb ram
UM-1G
Sonar 8 studio, Sonar 7 studio, HS 6 XL, HS XL 2004
Sound card:
CM6501 (came with Mobo)
Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio
(soon to have  M-Audio: Audiophile 2496)

1 Reply Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Help with Midi Device Input 2010/11/22 12:58:57 (permalink)
    I'll take a swing at this. You used to see your soundcard and integrated audio interfaces as midi input devices? I've never seen that before. Normally the GM softsynths found on audio interfaces are for midi to audio output only. If you connected an external device like a Midi interface THAT would show up as a Midi Input Device. The error messages you got refer to audio only and are what you get when the audio device can't handle the project's audio settings. If your project settings are higher than your soundcard's capabilities it will be disabled and its Midi sounds won't be available.

Your best course of action, in my opinion, is to buy an external audio interface that can handle higher sample rates as well as the ASIO driver mode. Then you can forget about using your internal soundcard's GM midi module and use the soft synths in Cakewalk. You can probably do that with your Creative Labs card already though you may have higher latency than you are comfortable with. Whatever you do I recommend disabling your integrated sound device found on your motherboard. That is your weakest link and you don't need it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1