Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/12/21 19:55:24 (permalink)

Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please

Hi all

So this is my set up and I have my monitors around 4ft from my head when mixing in a triangular shape as Ive been told before with both woofers pointing towards my ears :)

http://www.flickr.com/pho..9005534@N02/5281204867/

http://www.flickr.com/pho..9005534@N02/5281808908/

So as you can see I havent got much room going on there and the speekers are very close to the wall they are Tapco S5s and have rear fireing bass ports.

What is best to do in this situation ? Should I treat the back wall with accoustic pannels etc ?

What about the underneath of the shelf would I benifit any from puting accoustic treatment on the underside of that ?

I know very little about this type of thing so I am sorry about the questions

I am about to upgrade the monitors aswell to eather a set of Mackie MR8s that I love the sound of but am woried about puting them in there because of the rear fireing bass ports on them incase I dont get a good sound in my room ? KRK rocket 6 or 8 G2s I am going to demo them on thursday they are front fireing

So what do you guys think about accoustic treatment and the situation I am in what would be best to do ?

Thanks guys

Norrie
post edited by Norrie - 2010/12/21 19:57:51

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

13 Replies Related Threads

picklebunker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/21 21:37:21 (permalink)
    I couldn't say that I see anything that is glaringly wrong about this setup. The whole purpose of "near field" monitors is to have them "near" your ears. The volume at which you monitor will greatly affect how much bass you hear and a rookie's natural tendency is to monitor too loud. This will throw your bass out a whack. This is my biggest problem as my monitors suffer from the same thing and I'm always dialing out bass after listening to a mix in the car.

Good to hear that you are going to demo the speakers. The problem with a whole list of stats ie. "you must listen at 83-87 dB with 0Vu or -20 dBFS RMS pink noise.... blah, blah" is that you're not using your ears yet. Take the day to mix a tune on both sets of monitors if you can, and at different levels to see what you get. My assumption is that whatever you are told to do will most likely support what the smart guys will tell you to use as a starting point. Take the mix to your car, take it to the living room, use headphones, leave the room and listen to it through the wall. One day spent dailing in your current and future gear will be worth it. Don't listen to any of these mixes until they are all done to prevent yourself from "fixing" the sound of the mix.

Here's my two cents. I'm not a fan of rear ported monitors in a closed space because it contains to many variables in the distance to the rear wall, the side wall, the angles of those walls, the surfaces, (not to mention the Animal doll and the lava lamp:) Typical mixing rooms don't have parallel walls to prevent phase issues but none of us have that luxury. Don't mix in the "happy face" eq. - most home stereo speakers have this built into them already (unless they are reference quality).

The smart guys will give you some numbers, use them well and simply enjoy what you are doing. Anyone can make money playing live but if you can sell one song for 50 cents, you're doing better than most of us.

Al
    post edited by picklebunker - 2010/12/21 21:55:52

YAMAHA SY22
    Zoom R16
    DELL INSPIRON 1 GIG. 2.7
    SONAR 6PE
    REASON 1.0
    ZOOM GFX-3
    ESP LTD H 300
    MIDISPORT UNO 16
    Bugera 6262
    APEX MICS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=805324
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 03:00:51 (permalink)
    Can you post some more detailed pics of your room? A plan layout with windows, furniture and doors would help too.

Personally, I think KRK rockits SUCK! I hate the sound of them! I'll explain why in a further post when I have more time. I went with the yamaha HS80m which I think were better. MR8's were good too but it depends on the music you make. What do you make??? Are you willing to spend a little more on monitors than the MR8 and Rockit 8 price range? Or is that your limit?

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 10:42:04 (permalink)
    the speekers are very close to the wall they are Tapco S5s and have rear fireing bass ports...Should I treat the back wall with accoustic pannels etc ?

You can't really address that with acoustical treatments. You'd need to stuff a couple of feet of insulation between the speakers and the wall. The only solution is to figure out a way to get the speakers away from the wall. In my case, I had to completely reconfigure the room and rotate everything 90 degrees, which was a major undertaking. But now my speakers are 3' from the walls (instead of 6") and I have a great deal more confidence in the bass representation.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Norrie
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 13:44:07 (permalink)
    bitflipper

the speekers are very close to the wall they are Tapco S5s and have rear fireing bass ports...Should I treat the back wall with accoustic pannels etc ?

You can't really address that with acoustical treatments. You'd need to stuff a couple of feet of insulation between the speakers and the wall. The only solution is to figure out a way to get the speakers away from the wall. In my case, I had to completely reconfigure the room and rotate everything 90 degrees, which was a major undertaking. But now my speakers are 3' from the walls (instead of 6") and I have a great deal more confidence in the bass representation.

At the momment I cant move the room about I am very limited for space but I will be moveing to a new place in a couple of months time to a bigger room and it will be purposely built with accoustic treatment etc.

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 13:54:41 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

Can you post some more detailed pics of your room? A plan layout with windows, furniture and doors would help too.

Personally, I think KRK rockits SUCK! I hate the sound of them! I'll explain why in a further post when I have more time. I went with the yamaha HS80m which I think were better. MR8's were good too but it depends on the music you make. What do you make??? Are you willing to spend a little more on monitors than the MR8 and Rockit 8 price range? Or is that your limit?

Here is another couple of pictures for you

http://www.flickr.com/pho..9005534@N02/5283228046/

That is the view as you walk in the door. My monitors point towards the area that the window is. I have a set of thick blinds and thick curtains that I use to cover the window.

http://www.flickr.com/pho..9005534@N02/5283230286/
    This pic is just as you turn to the right in the room behind the reflection filter you will see another curtain..... Behind that is a huge hole in the wall it used to be a bed so if you Imagin the size of a single bed space? I use the are a for storage now keeping drums etc in there out the way.

The other 2 pics I have already posted show the rest of the room
    The door to the room is just to the right of the monitor.

Like I said I should only be useing this room for a few more months and I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Thanks again guys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 13:59:11 (permalink)
    About the monitors

Ive heard a lot of god things about the KRK rockets and I am going to demo them tomorow I like the Mr8s but I am put off by the rear fireing.

I am interested in the Rocket 6 G2 as Ive heard the 8s are a bit bass heavy

I am doing all sorts but Rock Metal and a lot of Accoustic Tracks

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 14:00:41 (permalink)
    Norrie

About the monitors

Ive heard a lot of god things about the KRK rockets and I am going to demo them tomorow I like the Mr8s but I am put off by the rear fireing.

I am interested in the Rocket 6 G2 as Ive heard the 8s are a bit bass heavy

I am doing all sorts but mostly Rock / Pop / Metal and a lot of Accoustic Tracks

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    bitflipper
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 14:39:17 (permalink)
    If you're looking to invest in new speakers, consider front-ported or sealed enclosures, which will help a little when the speakers must be close to the back wall.

My Stuff
    Norrie
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 14:44:52 (permalink)
    bitflipper

If you're looking to invest in new speakers, consider front-ported or sealed enclosures, which will help a little when the speakers must be close to the back wall.

Thanks Bitflipper
    I am going tomorow to demo the Rockets it loks like I might get a set of the 6s as I hear the 8s have a bit to much bass and I think it would be over killl in my room at the momment

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/22 20:27:51 (permalink)
    So from my listening tests I found the Rokits to be not great. The bass sounded completely disjointed from the mids and highs. The mids were lacking. It was more low and high end heavy. Clarity wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Turn the volume up a little and even on the 8's, you can hear the speakers compressing because they don't have enough power to accurately produce the transients of a dynamic piece of music. I found them to be VERY directional. By that I mean, move your head just a TEANY little bit and it changes drastically. Other monitors in the same price range did not have this problem. I needed to get my head in the perfect spot, directly in front of the tweaters line of action, otherwise I would lose most of the high end because they were so directional. It was actually really bad. The 5's were the worst. They are NOT monitors, but consumer speakers. The low end was hyped to make it sound like the bass was bigger. The 6 and 8's sounded pretty much the same except the 8's went louder and had a lower response. I think they could handle the peaks a little better too, but not great. The bass wasn't bad. Sounds HUGE, but maybe not the best for monitoring purposes. It was just weird how it sounded almost like the entire 300hz range was MISSING! I could just hear this hole in the spectrum that other monitors did not have. i was listening in a decent listening room as well. Room modes would not have caused this.

Soundwise, I think the Yamaha HS80m's (which I got) were fairly similar - in terms of detail and quality of sound. BUT they had a flatter response, and I thought much better mids. They didn't SOUND as good with the smaller bass, but sounded more accurate, rather than hyped. The bass connected with the mids and highs much better than the Rokits. The listening angles were MUCH better and I could move my head around a LOT more without the same cut in frequencies.

The MR8's are just a different monitor. I think they are better suited to dance music with lots of deep kick and bass sounds. They didn't suit the style of mixing I do so I didn't pay much attention.

Now, the Adam A7's were just a whole LEAGUE better than everything else, but double the price. The Rokits, MR8's and HS80m's sounded like they were just playing white noise in comparison. The high end clarity and detail here was just unbelievable.

Obviously take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am not an expert and these are just the experiences of one man. The best advice I would give is to not be swayed by the brand or the price. Use your ears and take your time. I wouldn't suggest purchasing on your first visit to the store. And TAKE IN A REFERENCE CD YOU KNOW WELL!! I went in to the store three times before I bought so I knew I was happy. See if you can hear the 'problems' in the rokits that I have heard. If you can't hear them, well maybe they will be fine for you. Just take your time. It's also a good idea to really get as good a monitor as you can afford. You don't want to be upgrading every year as you will just waste money. For this reason, I would suggest getting an 8" cone (or 7" in the Adams ) as your room may be small now, but in the future it might get bigger and you're going to wish you bought the bigger cone!!

Let us know how you go with your listening and selection. TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

bitflipper
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/23 00:43:05 (permalink)
    I had a similar experience auditioning the Rokits a few years ago. I was not impressed, especially with the smaller ones. I'd prefer the old oft-maligned standby Mackies which, IIRC, are sealed enclosures.

My Stuff
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/23 04:13:24 (permalink)
    I would say this Norrie.

If you are, as you say, definitely moving in a couple of months then any money you spend now on your acoustics/treatments etc will be a total waste - you'd be better off giving it to me mate.

Stick with what you have for now in order to maximise your spend on your new room.

Just my £0.02

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Norrie
    Re:Help with Speaker placement and possible accoustic treatment please 2010/12/23 14:40:10 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

I would say this Norrie.

If you are, as you say, definitely moving in a couple of months then any money you spend now on your acoustics/treatments etc will be a total waste - you'd be better off giving it to me mate.

Stick with what you have for now in order to maximise your spend on your new room.

Just my £0.02

Hey man!

Yeah there isnt much I can do with the room at the moment anyway so I just thought a couple of £5 universal accoustic pannels from Digital village

Then it will be a nice room Kit from Prima Accoustic London

I decided on the KrK Rocket G2 8'S Today it was the second time I went back to demo a bunch of stuff I was very suprised to find the 6'S were very boxy and muddy sounding but the 8s were right for my taste

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1