Help with program not working

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sounddude
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2010/08/09 15:12:09 (permalink)

Help with program not working

I have MC4 and have had it installed on my computer for some time. During that time, it worked beautifully. My computer crashed due to a virus which led to a complete restore of the drive after backing up all critical and non-original install files. I re-installed the program but now the files that I had created earlier will not play. The program runs, but there is no sound.

Dell Inspiron 1520
120GB HD
 Intell Pentium Duo each running at 1.46 Ghtz
A bunch of standard audio codec compressors
Sigma Tel Audio

I re-installed MC4 and updated the Sigma Tel drivers to no avail

37 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/09 15:23:47 (permalink)
    did you run the wave profiler and select the sigma tel as the audio in/out ...?

are you using the MME driver?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/09 16:20:51 (permalink)
    I tried with ASIO and MME mode and nothing works. Is there a way to send the file to someone to check the file (test it on their computer) (viruses gone as HD wiped clean and re-install done. I was also getting an error message that said that program is not compatible with Sigma Tel drivers. Any suggestions? I'm assuming that unless the file was corrupted, that all of the set up, etc. would stay the same. Yes, no?
    post edited by sounddude - 2010/08/09 16:25:17
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/09 17:47:25 (permalink)
    you said you tried ASIO and MME;  ASIO will not work with the sigma tel.  if you used MME, did you run the wave profiler after changing to MME?

if not, change to MME driver mode.  then run the wave profiler.  your sigma tel soundcard probably doesn't have WDM drivers and that's why you're getting the error message.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/10 11:35:02 (permalink)
    Sadly nothing seems to work. I had installed "asio4all" and it seemed that the program was recognizing that together with Sigma Tel, but still didn't work. I changed to MME and found that it will not run at 32 bits. Ran the wave profiler, but still nothing. I also have Cubase SE3 and weird things are happening there as well. I keep getting messages that certain files are not found, but when search run, the file came up in the same place. I brought that up because I believe that all of this is related to the computer crash. I uninstalled "Asio4all" and am going to try again. Any ideas on how to sort out what audio drivers I need, and uninstall those that I don't need?
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/10 15:57:23 (permalink)
    What is your operating system?

BMI/NSAI

sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/10 19:20:43 (permalink)
    Windows XP
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 08:27:58 (permalink)
    XP is good.

OK...I'm not a compu-geek so take this with a grain of salt.

When you had the first install of MC4 on the OS, there was a possibility that the OS was corrupted in some way that allowed MC4 to work...... now with a new clean OS in place, it will not allow MC4 to work through the same paths.......

I had a corrupted Vista OS on my Dell lappy and was not able to load some things from DVD. Finally the OS got so bad that I did a complete reinstall to factory...and reinstalled ALL my DAW software and this time everything loaded OK from the DVD.

Having said that.....MC4 should run and play audio tracks regardless even on the factory card.  The best option is of course to buy an external interface and not use the FC..... but.... if you run the MC4 install, allow the wave profiler to run, select the correct drivers (for FC... usually the MME driver works) and in the audio options screen select the computer FC as the input and output, you should be able to play the audio/wave/mp3 tracks just fine.

Check in the windows mixer page as well to be sure the correct inputs and outputs are selected there and not muted.

Here's an idea..... if you can not seem to get it going: take a series of screen shots of the settings, track view, and post them in this thread. Perhaps then we can see exactly what you have that is not working.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 08:30:08 (permalink)
     I keep getting messages that certain files are not found, but when search run, the file came up in the same place.

which files specifically are not being found?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 11:30:42 (permalink)
    Herb, my name's Nate. I appreciate your efforts. Would it be okay to send you the project that I do have that I know did work, through your "Contact me" link on your website? It's a simple 4 part "copying" of "It Is Well With My Soul" from a hymnal to the staff window in MC4. I know some music basics, but am not real good at reading music. By doing this, I can listen to the individual parts. (I'm not sure at this stage how much of my difficulty in being able to read music, is starting relatively late in life, (I'm almost 54) or the fact that I have ADD, but it's a fairly big stumbling block for me. I know the basics, but just getting it straight in terms of transferring what I see on the page, to the keyboard. LOL :-) )
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 11:49:33 (permalink)
    Nate a couple of us have either cross  loop or team viewer capability, and could take a look directly at your screen if you were to allow it. Some feel uncomfortable with this, and i understand, but i have been able to help some folks with this method that could not get up and running by looking at their actual setup and making a few basic corrections.

If this is interesting let one of us know. I know I can do this and i am pretty sure beagle can. Greg and Herb do you guys have either of these yet?

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 11:54:00 (permalink)
    Nate.... I would gladly have a look at the file.... a better way to send it is to pack it up...SAVE AS CAKEWALK BUNDLE file in the export/save options....

if it's not too big it won't take too long to upload it to www.sendspace.com and then send me a link to it by email.... from my site, or PM here. That way, I can down load the bundle which has ALL the stuff needed in the file for me to open it and see if the file itself is the problem or not.

BTW: we appreciate your patience in dealing with this, and the step by step process to find the problem. It took me the better part of 2 weeks to get MC4 working for the first time..... so I can appreciate how frustrating it can be.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/11 11:55:34

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 14:21:32 (permalink)
    That cause it takes herbie an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes!

wheeeeee!

Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 16:13:06 (permalink)
    Rob...... how do you know that..? that's amazing... how did you find that out?

BMI/NSAI

sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 17:10:51 (permalink)
    Beagle, that's with a different program. I threw that in to perhaps support my notion that all of this has something to do with the computer crash and restoration.
    Robomusic
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 18:14:31 (permalink)
    Cause I am competitive, and I can beat you!!!

I can do it in TWO hours!!

Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/11 21:30:15 (permalink)
    just because a different program works doesn't mean too much.... it's what MC4 does that matters.

BMI/NSAI

sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 07:54:16 (permalink)
    Rob, what's involved to do this, and what if any other areas of the computer would you have access to?

Herb, I don't see anything in the export options as a "bundle". All I see are the "RIFF wave", "broadcast wave", "Windows media ASF", or "MP3". Herb, so far as the patience goes, I could say the same for all of you
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 08:38:17 (permalink)
    It would be a "save as" function...then choose the cakewalk bundle option.

Then upload it to sendspace. I don't recall off hand what the exact file size limits are on SS..... if the bundle is too big you might have to post it to a different site ( look around with google) or send it on a CD/DVD to me...... I'll get you an address if that's the only way to go.....

However..... if the file is too big just save it with a different name....and delete some of the non-essential (if possible) audio tracks OR..... and yeah this takes a few minutes of work to do this...... convert the individual wave tracks into MP3 tracks which are much smaller in size. Trust me.... a wave and an MP3 work the same exact way, and sound very similar.... to the average ear...identical.

To convert tracks: my method:  solo and select/highlight the track to export..... export it as a wave and use an editor/converter program to convert it to MP3 ...have the time bar set to the very beginning of the song in MC........... delete the wave from the track and simply import the MP3......done.  It might take 3 to 4 minutes to do this.....per track.

If the tracks are midi.... no problem...... it will be small enough to go...easily.

Lets hope the limit is bigger than the file.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/12 08:42:53

BMI/NSAI

sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 11:20:44 (permalink)
    splinx
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 11:27:50 (permalink)
    Hey sounddude, just as a quick suggestion based on your scenario, I'd have a look at your DEP (Data Execution Prevention) settings under Windows XP. Reinstallation of XP sometimes results in odd behavior from things, like printers, that previously worked. Your problem sounds like it might be related to this setting: 

Control Panel->System->
    Advanced Tab-->Performance 'box'->Settings
    Data Execution Prevention Tab...

There you'll see two radio buttons.

If  the bottom radio button is selected, and MC4 is not entered as an exception, select the top radio button to turn off DEP for everything but Windows.

Reboot and see if MC4 will now process your files correctly.

If that was the source of the problem, you may want to create an exception listing for MC4, and turn DEP back on for everything else.

If that quick fix doesn't work, you're in good hands here with some very energetic and helpful people.

Good luck 

Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 12:33:00 (permalink)
    OK... got it loaded it up... opened it in MC4.

I did nothing to it at all.... I wanted to see what happened when I clicked play.....

It Is Well With My Soul played perfectly. Piano with 4 parts.

Next:  I removed the audio track (not being used) and I removed the TTS1-2 also not being used..... leaving 1 audio track with TTS and 4 midi source tracks.

Hit play...works fine.

So you know the file is good. be sure the TTS track is pointed to the sound card you are using for output. check the drivers, that you're using the right one.  I'm pretty sure at this point that it has to do with the correct driver or routing. Now.... in my DAW, (Dell laptop), I never have used the factory soundcard with MC4 or 5. I bought an external from the beginning. I do use the FC for other programs that use audio but not MC......although I do know quite a few people here use their FC's all teh time...so it is possible to get sound from it. ALSO.... since this is a midi project, you are very likely to run into significant latency when playing this in real time with the TTS synth.

BTW: I should have mentioned..... I was assuming the project had audio tracks when I suggested sendspace...... for midi projects like this you can easily email them. I attach mp's with 10mb all the time and have no problems..... this was slightly larger than 1/2 MB...easy enough to email.... ( for future reference)
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/12 12:39:29

BMI/NSAI

sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 17:55:25 (permalink)
    Herb, everything good with DEP, but no change. I think it's a driver problem, and I think it's also part of the problems I'm having with Cubase SE3. The file location problem there is a different matter. I'm getting more and more inclined to take Rob up on his suggestion. BTW, I took out the unecessary tracks.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/12 21:28:45 (permalink)
    yeah.... that might be a good option..... Rob is one of those who could help and if you let him in to the computer he might be able to help solve it...... heck we have all let a technician we don't know, have never met, who lives half a world away into our machines if we have ever done a tech support call.....

If I needed his help...I would trust Rob and a few other here to help in that manner.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/13 12:13:31 (permalink)
    It is very simple i send you a .exe file and you click it and e-mail me the code i enter that on my side and i can see your desk top. You can watch where i go and end it if you feel uncomfortable. I can't see anything you can't see. It allows me to open MC5 and look at the setup and make adjustments.

Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/13 12:24:59 (permalink)
    Under 'Options>Audio', what drivers are selected?
    What is listed for Playback and Recording Timing Masters?
    Have you selected the correct outputs in each track?
    Have you tried locating the files that it says can't be found, right-clicking one of them and selecting Open With>MC 4?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/13 14:38:05 (permalink)
    Robomusic

It is very simple i send you a .exe file and you click it and e-mail me the code i enter that on my side and i can see your desk top. You can watch where i go and end it if you feel uncomfortable. I can't see anything you can't see. It allows me to open MC5 and look at the setup and make adjustments.

you guys can also be on the phone at the same time..... talking through the process....

When I'm on with the tech support guys sometimes it's also a phone connection and sometimes it's chat. either way I can ask questions, so I can learn in the process.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/13 15:46:14 (permalink)
    I have not tried that yet, but even skype would do nicely.

Music Town
    sounddude
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/13 16:59:11 (permalink)
    I guess it's now a question of when's good for you. I'm working tonight, and then am on vacation for 2 weeks. I'm not going away so this might be a good time.
    Robomusic
    Re:Help with program not working 2010/08/16 11:22:09 (permalink)
    Sorry for not getting back, i was gone for the weekend. What time zone are you and when are you around?  Then i will carve out some time. PM me with an good e-mail link and i will send the .exe file.

Music Town
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1