Here We go again!

Author
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
2014/07/21 20:05:06 (permalink)

Here We go again!

Last week I posted a Thread about preferences not saving my settings for a Control Surface. With a little digging I traced it to file that got corrupted. (ctrlsurface.dat) I surgically replaced it with a file from X2 that works fine with my X3.

Today I found a similar problem with saving settings for my instrument definitions. The instrument definitions are fine but when I connect my ports to the instrument definitions it doesn't save them.

I can't find an obvious file that performs this function. Anyone know where this might be saved?

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music

13 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/21 20:33:34 (permalink)
    I have a Mackie Control and I also have hardware synths all using MIDI ports that connect to Sonar. I have had this setup for many years.  I have a Master.ini file of 350 kb because I have the instrument definitions for all of those synths including custom patches as well as add on cards. I have never had to replace any of it at any time except when I change my computer. Then I copy the Master.ini over to the new computer and Sonar.   Why you may ask? I never start Sonar before I turn on all my external gear first. I also wait so that I am sure all is connected and working. I don't switch ports or reconfigurer any of it. 

Best
    John
    WallyG
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/21 21:58:43 (permalink)
    John
    I have a Mackie Control and I also have hardware synths all using MIDI ports that connect to Sonar. I have had this setup for many years.  I have a Master.ini file of 350 kb because I have the instrument definitions for all of those synths including custom patches as well as add on cards. I have never had to replace any of it at any time except when I change my computer. Then I copy the Master.ini over to the new computer and Sonar.   Why you may ask? I never start Sonar before I turn on all my external gear first. I also wait so that I am sure all is connected and working. I don't switch ports or reconfigurer any of it. 

Hi John,
    Thanks for the response. I have 4 hardware synths going into a MOTU MIDI EXPRESS XT as the MIDI traffic cop. The basic problem is a couple Sonar files got corrupted, the surface controller and the file that connects the ports to the appropriate instrument definition. In other words Port 2 of the MOTU is my Roland Integra 7 and is then connected in the preferences to the I7 instrument definitions.

I installed a Roland Editor for the I7 and I think this is when all hell broke loose! Tomorrow I'll try using some of my back ups to try and restore the Sonar files.

Where is this "Master.ini" file and what does it do? My instrument definitions once again are fine.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/21 23:17:58 (permalink)
    The master.ini is where instrument definitions are stored and read from. Without it you have no way to access the patches from within Sonar. Its located under C:/users/"your name"/appData/roaming/Cakewalk/Sonar x3 Producer. 

Best
    John
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/21 23:31:36 (permalink)
    I believe it is master.ins and Craig
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/22 00:18:11 (permalink)
    scook

LOL.  No doubt you're right!

Best
    John
    WallyG
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/22 01:07:02 (permalink)
    scook

I'll try restoring it from a backup tomorrow. Thanks scook and John.

Walt

WallyG
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/23 18:17:21 (permalink)
    Well it's not the Master.ins file, but I have a wedding coming up next week that I have to finish a couple songs, so I'll have to put this issue on the back burner.

Walt

noldipro
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/31 08:10:48 (permalink)
    Hi everybody

I humbly admit:

After
    - having connected my V-700 set-Sonar X3e-Integra7-hardware correctly with my PC Win 8.1, 64-bit)
    - having installed all the most recent drivers and editor softwares
    - having gone step-by-step through the more or less outdated (?) manuals in the packages
    - having had a lot of fun and creative moments made over the past 18 months with all the well working parts (Audio Recording, Lounge Lizard, Addictive Drums Dimension Pro, Rapture, audio recording and so on)

I still have (greenhorn-?) trouble to have my Fantom and Integra-7 work (be it no sound / midi signal on the Integra-7 synthesizer track or Fantom-sound only with direct mix).

- Knowing that this is not a plug-and-play-system 
    - hesitating to contact support (which one? Cakewalk or Roland?) but
    - seeing that some other more experienced users are fighting with the same problems
    I would like to ask:

Are there any recent helpful threads, tutorials or manuals for the proper Fantom / Integra-7 integration into the most recent system Environment or shall I contact support directly? I can't find them..
    Always thankful for the helpful posts of all bronce, silver, platinum and diamond members...

noldipro

Roland RD-700-NX
    Windows 8.1 (64bit), i7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/31 08:44:51 (permalink)
    Noldipor how do you have things setup How are your hardware synths connected?

Best
    John
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/31 10:19:18 (permalink)
    For support, I assume you would want to contact Roland as the Integra, Fantom, and V-Studio are all Roland products.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    noldipro
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/31 10:58:03 (permalink)
    John
    Noldipro how do you have things setup How are your hardware synths connected?

Hu, That's fast... thank you
    [- V-700-C and V-700-R are connected by the connection cable]
    USB:
    - Integra-7 and the V-700-R (with integrated Fantom) are both USB-connected to PC (2 separate USB cables connected to two USB-Ports [2.0])
    Midi:
    - Roland RD-700-NX (Midi Out 1) -> V-700-R (Midi In)
    - Roland RD-700-NX (Midi Out 2) -> Integra-7 (Midi In)
    (had tried also 
    - Roland RD-700-NX (Midi Out 1) -> V-700-R (Midi In)
    - V-700-R (Midi Out) -> Integra-7 (Midi In)

(if I was stupid, you may disconnect my head bone from my neck bone ;-)
    [With this Setup In Sonar preferences -> Audio Driver Settings Integra-7 cannot be activated as audio driver (checkbox is inactiv), only by disabling all the other audio drivers in SONAR I can (or could) activate Integra-7 as audio driver]

Thank you..

Roland RD-700-NX
    WallyG
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/31 11:45:33 (permalink)
    noldipro
    Hi everybody

I humbly admit:

After
    - having connected my V-700 set-Sonar X3e-Integra7-hardware correctly with my PC Win 8.1, 64-bit)
    - having installed all the most recent drivers and editor softwares
    - having gone step-by-step through the more or less outdated (?) manuals in the packages
    - having had a lot of fun and creative moments made over the past 18 months with all the well working parts (Audio Recording, Lounge Lizard, Addictive Drums Dimension Pro, Rapture, audio recording and so on)

I still have (greenhorn-?) trouble to have my Fantom and Integra-7 work (be it no sound / midi signal on the Integra-7 synthesizer track or Fantom-sound only with direct mix).

- Knowing that this is not a plug-and-play-system 
    - hesitating to contact support (which one? Cakewalk or Roland?) but
    - seeing that some other more experienced users are fighting with the same problems
    I would like to ask:

Are there any recent helpful threads, tutorials or manuals for the proper Fantom / Integra-7 integration into the most recent system Environment or shall I contact support directly? I can't find them..
    Always thankful for the helpful posts of all bronce, silver, platinum and diamond members...

noldipro

My situation is a little different. For about 2 years, I have been using the Integra-7, and other synths with Sonar X with no problems. I believe the issues I mentioned started when I installed an Integra-7 editor. It is supposed to allow me to edit the parameters of the I-7 right from within Sonar. It never did work (no communication) and it has messed up my setting files. I think I am going to have to reload Sonar to fix it...
    Walt

noldipro
    Re: Here We go again! 2014/07/31 13:16:25 (permalink)
    Anderton
    For support, I assume you would want to contact Roland as the Integra, Fantom, and V-Studio are all Roland products.

Thank you. If I get any generally useful information from Roland concerning integration in SONAR X3e I'll post it in this forum. In the meanwhile I thank for eventual hints.

Roland RD-700-NX
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1