Helpful ReplyHey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Author
davidpa
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 02:57:45 (permalink)
Wow! I am - like all those who have already commented - deeply saddened to read this news Craig. You've been part of my musical education from the early days of 'Midi for Musicians'. I keep a low profile on the forum but read it regularly and can't imagine Sonar without your contribution. To be frank it has pissed me off no end to see people still complaining about having to pay $12 for your collection of Tips and it's quite clear that many still have no idea of the time, work and commitment it takes to educate a group of fanatics - many of whom themselves are not novices. I for one place huge value on everything you have shared - and many of these lessons have gone on to shape the way I work on a daily basis. Thank you also for the generosity of spirit you have demonstrated while sharing this vast wealth of knowledge. I too have a sinking feeling RE: the future of Sonar as I have always been reassured that for as long as you've been involved with the product, it's got to be OK. I hope my reservations for the future are proved wrong. Best of luck with your new ventures. I wish you much happiness and success! Regards David (Australia)
Billy86
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 362
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 03:18:05 (permalink)
Anderton
Well I always said I wasn't a Cakewalk employee, and now I'm not a Gibson employee, either. Gibson was the first job I ever had in my life, and it's been a wonderful and extremely educational experience with many truly great people. However looking back, a lot of projects that meant a lot to me have fallen by the wayside while I was there...it's time to get back to writing books, doing workshops, consulting to the industry, and making more music.

Even though I did a lot of initiatives for Cakewalk on my own time, that will no longer be possible because I'll need to spend a while re-establishing connections with former clients and publishers. So I won't have time to do the Tip of the Week, any more books on SONAR, the eZine, 30th Anniversary freebies, forum support, SONAR-specific seminars, etc. 

I've really enjoyed interacting with all of you - yes, even the malcontents who think everything sucks...they're part of the world, too. I'll continue to stick around the forum because it feels like a bunch of friends, and of course, I'll continue to use SONAR. I'd also like to thank you for the appreciation you've shown for my efforts. I'm not perfect, but I do strive to be the best person I can be. 

Thanks for all the amazing knowledge, Craig. May the road rise up to meet you...

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 03:41:51 (permalink)
I first got to “know you” when I read your book “MIDI For Musicians” cover to cover to cover, back in the days when we rode to work by horse and carriage.

Thank you for all your amazing contributions, here, there, and everywhere. Good luck with your future endeavours and...as Douglas Adams wrote:

“So long, and thanks for al the fish”
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 03:42:04 (permalink)
filtersweep
Thanks so much for the huge contribution you have  made to this forum. As a much younger man I wrote a blistering email to Steve Case when AOL eliminated the content that you provided on that site.

Ha! Here's the story behind that. My microsite was too successful. When AOL charged by the hour, I was the golden boy - got invited to a big corporate shindig, and received an award for community building. But when they went to a flat rate, the people in Sound, Studio, and Stage were spending too much time there and downloading too much stuff, thus costing AOL money. I was given the choice of either selling music gear online, or leaving...so I left.

As far as Gibson goes, I suspect you are too honest, as evidenced with your often very favorable opinions of competing products on this site,  to be a true company man and being free of corporate bosses is probably best for a true educator such as you.

I have to set the record straight there. There was never any attempt by anyone at Gibson, most definitely including Henry, to muzzle me. I sometimes sent him emails and people would say "oh man, you're going to get fired for that" but Henry would reply with a thank-you note instead. He needed someone who didn't need the job and would speak his mind...I was that person.

As to HC, Henry felt that if it didn't have complete neutrality, it would lose why people went to it. He gave HC 100% editorial control, and that policy remains to this day. I believe that is the main reason HC was able to come back from the dead and thrive again. Ultimately, though, Gibson isn't a charity and has to make money to stay in business. If Harmony Central hadn't been successful, the outcome would probably have been different.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
LLyons
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 03:44:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2017/10/19 19:10:41
Service to others, civility, knowledge, passion, leadership, dedication, education. Just a few of the words that might be used to describe the dimensions you bring to our group Craig. And that you will continue to lurk, speaks volumes to those same aforementioned words. Thank you for the mess I never had to step in because you went first, and guided me around it, take care.

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
CS18ai - Connect AVB
lowerfreq
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 03:45:11 (permalink)
Shocker to me, probably not to you... Thanks for your willingness to share all your Cakewalk knowledge and of course, efforts!  

A periodic post from you will be greatly appreciated if ya got the time...   

Again,
Thanks!

Sonar Platinum, Intel i5 4670K, Asus Z-87-K, 24 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 04:19:37 (permalink)
Hey Craig, I was chatting with Kenny Gioia a little while ago, and brought up your name. He told me something you wrote a while back that stuck with him. It had to do with you questioning why software incorporated the fader model from outboard gear. Do you remember writing that? It's funny the things that people remember.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 04:22:59 (permalink)
I just hope that wherever you end up has a decent staff view! 😱
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 06:40:40 (permalink)
Craig, it's all been said, but a personal thank you from me for mastering my song Roasting On The Stones for the monthly ezine feature. It's rare indeed to get the chance to learn directly from a true expert, and I've learned lessons which are now part of my skill set and music making. Thank you so much.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 08:09:02 (permalink)
Anderton
...to be clear it wasn't my decision, I was fired but frankly, it felt more like I was graduating. It's time to move to another level...

It sucks that you were fired, but good that you are keen to move on. Your positive attitude is inspiring.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 08:13:39 (permalink)
Can't you see it already? We're stretching this gratitude/all the best-thread for so long long you'll forget you're going somewhere!! Clevuh! Not? Yes!!!

Well... Thanks a lot and enjoy!!

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 11:53:03 (permalink)
Happy trails Mr. Anderton.

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 12:20:56 (permalink)
Thanks for all of the great tips and info over the years. I hope you'll still be around from time to time. Good luck! (and thanks for all the fish)

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 13:34:20 (permalink)
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!    I personally want to be selfish and keep you here .  Anderton, know that you have enriched my learning, recording and mixing life.   As much as we don't like it we know that change is inevitable.  Like really, may God Bless all that you have done and all that you are about to put your hands to do - 

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
royarn
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 427
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 15:52:52 (permalink)
Thanks for all you've done for all us Cakewalk people.
(Maybe some truth in the rumour that Gibson is going bust). Sure hope not.

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
90 dB
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 15:55:49 (permalink)
Craig,

I guess I may have known you the longest. I go back as far as Mandrake Memorial in Philly. Great band.

You will be missed here.

Regards,

Bob
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 16:02:38 (permalink)
listen
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!    I personally want to be selfish and keep you here .  Anderton, know that you have enriched my learning, recording and mixing life.   As much as we don't like it we know that change is inevitable.  Like really, may God Bless all that you have done and all that you are about to put your hands to do - 

How sweet the words are, and the intent is, and the way is open, and the doers do, and the giving and sharing of it was good, or very good, and some given back, and that door is never shut.....Thank you all who find it.....and do as he did do...to help others.....Neighbours eh, life has many....Be good to them all...And you will find you and others of good cheer, will suffer some pains of those who hate you, be good to them also, and forgive some who do not know...But the pudding is in the doing to gain such a love of...Is it not true?.....Ah ha!...Look at all he did do, for us....And I think he will go on doing it, because it is already in him....and hope it spreads into most if not all of us...Yep,...who we help, is not always what everyone else does...But, if Truth be with it....let it stand as away to get it done right!

Truth has no wrongs in it..but it sure makes proving it, a reward worth tending to find the good ones trying , Thank You, and regards knowing it was given to help...is the greatest of rewards when it is done all you do with it!.

And even more will be given that one or more!
look at the Love here People..for People who came to say whoop whoop for a helper!....Now that is fantastic....Jousting up!....lol...apply that to the Earth...and you might find it becomes a better place for life, to sing out loudly for....Truth...does it not solve all troubles , when used properly, as asked by the Truth to do?....and some hate the truth....and so we know why Mr. Anderton ....still gets underlined in red (meaning misspelt?) when spelt as he says it is spelt....what's up wit dat?

Wooo weee, what's up wit dat, what's Up with Dat?...interesting Parallels...eh?

Cheers

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Tunerman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 16:31:58 (permalink)
Your depth of knowledge, clear thinking and excellent presentations of all things relating to making music
will be missed! I'll be bookmarking the links you provided to keep up with what you are doing. 

Don't be a stranger around here!!

Michael

“When I sit at my worm-eaten piano, I envy no king in his happiness" -F.J.Haydn
Sonar Platinum v22.9.2; W10-64; i7,950,3.06Gz;12GB ram;Korg BX3; Korg M1; Roland FP dp. Two grand pianos: 1929 Steinway M 5'7" &  a 1913 Steinway B  6'11"; Focusrite PRO24 & 18i8; Yamaha NS10M, JBL LRS305.

"Myrna's Love" - Slide show movie of a piano rebuilding process, with original music, recorded using Sonar 8.5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANU-lrom_Y0

outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 16:33:17 (permalink)
I'm not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said already; I've been following you since your early days at Electronic Musician, got to meet you once at a seminar you did in New York or Canada (or Texas?; it was long, long ago now), been reading you here at Cakewalk Forums. I've always appreciated your patience, humor, and insight, and have gleaned much from the knowledge that you've shared so easily. I've also admired you for your, shall we say, "understatement" when dealing with the more scurrilous here; thank you for so often choosing the high road even when others had abandoned it.

You are a true gentleman, sir. Have a wonderful time on the rest of your pilgrimage. May it be long and rewarding.

"Goodbye, Farewell and Amen."

post edited by outland144k - 2017/10/19 19:42:59

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

Mack
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 17:02:31 (permalink)
Please forgive me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that anyone from Cakewalk has joined this thread. I would think that at least one official Baker might have a pleasant, positive remark to make. Most curious.

Sonar Platinum 
Cakewalk BandLab  
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10
Garritan Personal Orchestra 5, Instant Orchestra  
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid
Windows 10/64  Intel i7 CPU, 16G RAM
Dual Screen Monitors 
ADK Pro Audio built Computer
dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 17:25:16 (permalink)
Anderton
Piotr
But I think we all understand your decision...

Well to be clear it wasn't my decision, I was fired...

Well now I don't feel quite so bad.  I got fired on the same day as Craig Anderton!

Dan Tarbill
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 17:27:25 (permalink)
Mack
Please forgive me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that anyone from Cakewalk has joined this thread. I would think that at least one official Baker might have a pleasant, positive remark to make. Most curious.

This is a user forum and the OP was directed to the users.
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 17:33:01 (permalink)
Thanks for all contribution - and maybe mostly the oversampling that you and Noel brought about.
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 17:41:22 (permalink)
Wow..

Craig, you will be missed..all the very best in your new endeavors!

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
Sir Les
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 18:04:56 (permalink)
Mack

He is blessed by a higher power any way...So?...He has other things to tend to...might be his path anyway....As the light is leading him...and many others....Where truth needs be put!....He goes!....Right on, Right on...and more sharing and caring and giving....If you read the book of telling....He is trying hard!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

Sir Les
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 18:07:55 (permalink)
If you put that truth into your heart , and do as he is doing, or asking be done...He is always with you!...and you a link is bonded!

Ah..learning how to make things better....Is a way...to finding the door...to his truths were given....what makes something not work right....is error.

amiller
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 876
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 18:13:12 (permalink)
 Craig,
When I used to subscribe to Guitar Player magazine I would always check to see if you had written anything in the current edition.  I very much enjoyed reading your work then as I do now.  Even still on this website I always look for your input in posts that interest me.  Always honest, informative, and most of all, helpful and caring.  I have to admit I got more than a little spoiled here with such easy access to your expertise and contribution.

But, as you have pointed out, you will still be available and contributing to the ether.  Good luck and I'll check you on the flip side!

RAWK!!!

. SONAR Platinum: 2017.10
System specs:
Purrrfect Audio:
http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/ 
• Case Silent Mid Tower
• Power-Supply 600w quiet
• Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz
• RAM 32GB DDR3/1600
• OS drive 1TB HD
• Audio drive 2TB HD
• Samples drive 1 3TB HD
• Burner 24x DVD/RW
• Video HD4600
• Add TI chipset Firewire For all others
• Operating System Windows 10 x64 Home Edition
. MOTU 828 mkII
. Lucid 9624 A/D
. Millennia HV-3b pre
. Dual 24" Widescreen Monitors
Anderton
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 18:29:59 (permalink)
Mack

I posted this thread to the community, so I really don't think anyone from Cakewalk needs to say anything public. I've been receiving very kind PMs and emails from some of the Bakers, i.e., those who didn't find me overly annoying . Advocating for the community and what I believed were necessary steps to preserve the health of the company wasn't always popular.

But - one of the great parts about getting older, aside from the senior discount for 3D IMAX showings of "Blade Runner 2049," is you stop caring too much about what other people think, and you can just do what you think is right.

(P.S. - Please do not PM me on anything that involves mod powers, they were removed. So for example I won't be able to restore posts that were removed improperly by Akismet.)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 18:30:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/10/20 13:30:19
Hey! I just realized I can remove the disclaimer at the end!

whattarush
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
Re: Hey Guys, It's Been Great But I'm Moving On 2017/10/19 19:07:09 (permalink)
Thanks Craig for pouring your knowledge and wisdom into us here on these forums and other websites. You will be missed here but I'm sure there is a bigger blessing waiting for you!!!

Thank again and God bless!!!

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1