Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice)

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2014/06/04 03:57:14 (permalink)

Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice)

Hey, I probably forgot to comment about your band's free demo CD "Singles."  I downloaded it during the SXSW talk and really liked what you guys are doing.  I was just going through some music stuff and ran into it again then pulled you up on Discogs.  Had to laugh at the one reviewer's description (though I really like all the bands mentioned):

"Take the turbulent undercurrent of Joy Division, add edgy guitar-synth crunch and hooks ala Garbage, drop in the haunting post-punk of Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees, a dash of Love and Rockets psychedelics, and polish the whole mix with angst-meets-curious inclinations inspired by The Cure's rhythmic urges. Something like that with a twist.”

Once I can get a few things sold I'll have to contribute for an album or two (I saw you have digital downloads from your website).

Keep up the good work! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

8 Replies Related Threads

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/25 08:45:05 (permalink)
    Yeah Craig!  You rule my man.  Yeah, descriptions need to be taken with a grain of salt for sure.  We especially have been hard to pigeonhole for listeners - but that's just fine with us!!  HAHAHA!!

Sorry that I never saw this, I haven't been on forums as much as I used to be a few years ago.

Keep in touch!!!

Scott

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/25 09:22:38 (permalink)

Hey Scott, is this how you chose the name of the band

(WARNING - LANGUAGE)

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

spindlebox
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/25 23:05:16 (permalink)
    you got it Steve!

craigb
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/26 00:00:28 (permalink)
    I've been enjoying my new purchases all day and, if anyone else is curious, they should at least try out the free album "Singles" which can be downloaded from off their website www.alicesweetalice.com 

I'm listening to the albums in chronological sequence so it would be interesting to hear the growth as you go along (and you do).  I couldn't help but wonder what your first album might have been with drums like that of the Cure (interesting tom lines, etc.).  

spindlebox
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/26 02:20:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Craig, the first 2 albums I did with a lot of help from members of the Cakewalk forum here, especially in the Songs category.  I was just learning how to use a DAW (and really consider myself to STILL be a student of the art and probably always will).  As with all albums, there are songs I love and songs I hate, but they are what they are!

Thanks for taking the time to download, listen and comment!  

craigb
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/26 02:42:24 (permalink)
    I try to support lots of members I meet in the various forums I'm in, but it's always easier when I enjoy the music.  Downloading "Singles" made me want to hear more. 

I may have a couple of minor comments later, but I want to see how things have progressed after the first two albums. Just started the first song of your third album - and already I can hear more maturity, there was a little bit of tentativeness in some of the older vocals that some confidence, experience, learning and letting go can help with.  Sometimes you have to venture into slightly uncomfortable territory to figure out what you're capable of (applies to both the male and female vocals).  So far I can say that the female vocals are sounding much better!  (Haven't heard any male vocals on the third album yet.)

spindlebox
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/26 03:11:39 (permalink)
    Yes I think we have grown a bit - the first two albums were online collaborations, and albums after that were created in a full band situation - all together in the same room - with playing together under our belt.  So I am not surprised that they sound a bit more confident.  

After all, on the first two albums, we had never even met face to face - and it was just Ali Kat and I that have been the constants throughout all of the bands' history.

craigb
    Re: Hey Spindlebox! (Alice Sweet Alice) 2014/07/26 03:58:50 (permalink)
    Wow, for online collaborations they sound very good!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1