Higher latency in project with many synths and tracks

Author
jimutt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2014/08/24 09:49:13 (permalink)

Higher latency in project with many synths and tracks

Hi,

I've run into a wierd problem. I'm very new to Sonar X3 Studio so I'm not really sure what could be causing this. I'm recording Midi audio with a Yama E423 connected through an midi usb cord. I'm using ASIO4ALL drivers when recording and I'm having allmost no latency. Though I have one problem, which I've originally created in Music Creator 6 but now I've opened it with Sonar X3 (I just upgraded) to continue editing it. Though I'm now getting a ridicilous latency problem. When checking the preferences it says I should get about 16 ms. That's high enough, but it's nowhere close to the latency I'm really getting. I'm talking maybe 100 ms or something like that.

And it's the same no matter which soft synth I'm using. Though if I create a new empty project and add an instrument I don't have this issue. So I believe it's something wierd with my project. Do you have any idea of what it could be? And where I should begin the troubleshooting?

I've tried to different soundcards as well (before I realised that the problem wasn't there if I created a new project). And when using the same audio driver settings in Cubase 5 I'm getting virtually no latency at all. 

3 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Higher latency in project with many synths and tracks 2014/08/24 10:02:04 (permalink)
    The reported latency from the interface does not include Plug-in Delay Compensation. The keyboard shortcut "E" and the FX button in the Mix module will disable all plug-ins. If the latency goes away, plug-ins are causing the problem. Generally plug-ins which add latency will have something about it in their documentation. They may also mention using a look ahead buffer. Compressors, limiters and IR reverbs are often the cause of plug-in latency. When going through a project to determine which plug-ins are the source of the latency make sure to toggle the audio engine off/on to force PDC recalculation.

In the future consider posting in the X series forum. This forum is for older Pre-X series versions of SONAR.
    jimutt
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Higher latency in project with many synths and tracks 2014/08/24 10:04:15 (permalink)
    Thank you! I will look into that and see if it solves the problem. But it sounds like that could be the problem here.
    Oh, sorry for posting in the wrong forums as well.. Going to read more carefully next time. ;)
    PH68
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re: Higher latency in project with many synths and tracks 2014/08/24 13:55:41 (permalink)
    If you have multiple synths, then freeze all the ones apart from the one you are working on.
    You then just unfreeze any when you need to work on them again.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1