Hitting the red: I was wrong about this

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2014/07/11 13:58:53 (permalink)

Hitting the red: I was wrong about this

In the past I've expressed the belief that you don't have to worry about keeping your tracks out of the red, as long as you pull everything down prior to going into the master bus. That was based on the belief that there is no serious harm done to floating-point data that occasionally goes over 0dB, as long as you ultimately provide adequate headroom before hitting the master limiter. Everybody knows floating-point audio doesn't clip, right?

I was wrong about that. I feel bad about having made that assertion and misleading others, so this post is to make amends.

Turns out, there are a surprising number of plugins that distort in an unpleasant way with input > 0dB, or that generate > 0dB internally. Testing has revealed that the list includes some of my favorite plugins, from highly-respected vendors that have a reputation for great sound quality.

My epiphany occurred a few months ago, when I noticed some ugly popcorn-type distortion on a track and set about hunting it down. It turned out to be a SampleTank instrument, and the distortion was occurring within the plugin itself. Turning its internal volume down solved the problem. However, the instrument was now too quiet, so I had to turn every other track down, too, via their Trim/Gain sliders. (A pain, because it meant re-doing every track compressor.)

Had my old assumption been true, there would have been no change to the overall sound of the mix. To my surprise, the difference was huge. The whole mix had become clearer.

There had been an embarrassing number of little red flags scattered throughout that project. Several plugins had been introducing subtle distortion as a result. Aside from the SampleTank track, none of these distortions was individually noticeable, but they had a cumulative effect. Even then, it was not obvious there was a problem - until it went away.

Nowadays, I make a point of maintaining adequate headroom from the get-go. Sorry for having promulgated wrong information.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

42 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 14:11:05 (permalink)
    I have a brand new, for me, Kontakt 5 patch, Upright Piano Modern Preacher, that hits the "red" with moderate velocity mapping in the MIDI source. I came upon the circumstance just yesterday.

Yuck.

My suggestion: mix with the powered monitors switched to "on". 

:-)

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 14:37:01 (permalink)
    Hard Top. 103% if you are lucky on a computer. 105% maybe, but probably not.

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 14:41:06 (permalink)
    In a dense mix, one of the single most challenging things to get right can be gain staging.Especially when you have the occasional peak transient on an otherwise great track.Let it go or lower the whole track ? Edit midi velocity? Apply some clip compression in only a few places? Volume automation? Lots of approaches, but it isn't always as easy as it seems.

Pianos can be some of the toughest IMO. But they aren't alone. 24 bit seems to be a bit less forgiving, but that might be a misconception on my part.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 15:15:05 (permalink)
    happiness is clean audio.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bitflipper
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 17:01:43 (permalink)
    Starise
    24 bit seems to be a bit less forgiving, but that might be a misconception on my part.

You're right, because when we say "24-bit" we're implying integer values. For integer (as opposed to floating-point) numbers, there simply isn't anything beyond 0 dB. That's why it's so important to not drive your audio interface into the red, because it knows nothing of decimal points and therefore has an absolute upper limit that literally can't be crossed.

Floating-point, OTOH, automatically adjusts to whatever size number you want to stick in there. It just shifts the decimal point as needed. It can therefore accommodate very large (or very small) numbers without running out of bits. You do lose some accuracy as some of the least-significant decimal places are chopped off, but this loss of accuracy is irrelevant in audio, so in theory 32-bit floats can go over zero with impunity.

It's a wonderful innovation, using floating-point data in DAWs. However, it breeds sloppiness because it allows us to get away with practices that wouldn't have been acceptable in the pre-digital age. And presuming everything's OK can occasionally bite ya in the arse.

My suggestion: mix with the powered monitors switched to "on".

Good advice!
    However, it was because I had the speakers off (listening on cans) that I initially noticed the crackling that headed me to this discovery.

My Stuff
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 17:43:45 (permalink)
    Bit, some plugs are designed to start distorting before you reach zero. They model overloading before the signal is clipping.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 17:51:05 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    in theory 32-bit floats can go over zero with impunity.

You can exceed zero and never clip - this much is always true (as long as you appropriately attenuate before a conversion back to fixed point format happens, of course).

On the other hand, I think I'd feel cheated if a plug-in that purported to emulate analog gear didn't behave differently when processing signals that would be considered too hot in the analog world.  If that plug-in doesn't do something different when being fed too-hot data like the real gear, then it's not behaving as advertised.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 18:22:47 (permalink)
    This explains the popularity of all those tape emulators. 

You're supposed to hit the red hard with those things.

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 18:23:01 (permalink)
    I guess this is why the ProChannel modules have clip lights? 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 19:50:43 (permalink)
    The problem is that there is no consistent answer, so you have to know how each of your plugs behave. Unfortunately, many people can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that you have to gain stage each individual plugin.

Of course I like to go into the red just because it upsets some people. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    bitflipper
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 20:54:04 (permalink)
    gswitz
    Bit, some plugs are designed to start distorting before you reach zero. They model overloading before the signal is clipping.

Yes, that's intentional harmonic distortion. Lots of plugins do that, on purpose, and it usually sounds OK. They're emulating the way tubes and transistors behave as they're driven outside their linear range. But that's not the kind of distortion I'm talking about.

Digital clipping and foldback are just ugly. They generate tones that are not harmonically related to the signal. They don't emulate anything in the real world. They just sound bad. Fingernails on a chalkboard bad. Technically, neither should happen in a floating-point system. I can only speculate about what's going wrong within those plugins.

Values are passed into and out of the VST interface as floating-point data. However, the spec calls for audio to be represented using values between -1 and 1. That means 1.000 is valid, but 1.001 may not be.

Now, there is no reason 1.001 can't be stored in a floating-point variable and manipulated exactly the same way as 1.000. But if the developer assumed that no value would ever exceed 1.0, it's possible that his math could be thrown off, or some logic circumvented when values unexpectedly went over 1 or under -1. You'd have to examine their code to know what's happening, but I think it's reasonable to say that it's either a mistake or an oversight.

My Stuff
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 21:47:57 (permalink)
    There are some plugs that add limiters/saturation at ~0dBFS. Some PSP plugs are like this (EDIT: the PSP stuff does this mainly as protection, not as a saturation effect). And I know Reaktor won't let things go above 0dBFS, but my theory is that they do that to protect people from accidentally creating an ensemble that goes to 11.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 21:57:48 (permalink)
    If you have to turn things down too far on track faders before you mix you are still recording a little hot. All the more reason for K system and VU metering.  The use of the K system for me extends right back to setting input signal levels arrivinga at the DAW.  It is easy to get a K system ref level recorded on a track for any input source.  Apply it at the time of turning soft synths into audio ensures the audio is also at the ref level.

If you track at your reference eg K-14, then later when you are mixing, the faders are much closer to unity to still achieve a K system ref levels on any buss those tracks are sent to.  I prefer the amount of gain  adjustment around unity compared to anywhere else on a fader.  Tracks only have to be shifted downward slightly from unity in order to create a perfect balance and the right level on that buss. A buss master can also easily fine tune your K ref level on any buss.  That is what it is for.

With plug-ins if you make sure your levels are K-14 or 0 dB VU just prior to going in, you know you have got a nice level going into any plugin without clipping.  Then make a slight adjustment with the VU level on the way out too.  You can get those two levels (IN and OUT) very well matched and you can be sure nothing bad is happening inside the plugin itself. (things getting near 0 dB FS for example)  If you are still concerned, drop down to K-20 and you will never have an issue with internal distortion. (with plug-in chains you can always insert VU meters between all the plug-ins in a chain to ensure they are ALL working at a perfect level too. Not all plug-ins match the OUT level exactly to the INPUT level, you need to keep an eye on that. Output levels vary from many plug-ins and need to tuned back to your ref level sometimes.) Matching plug-in input and output levels with a VU also means when you bypass or test for what a plug-in may be doing in your mix, the level won't change and that sound sits perfectly in your mix, in or out.

With soft synths, they all vary by a lot.  Some from very quiet to very loud.  All you have to do is take a VU meter reading straight out of any soft synth and just adjust that for your K ref or 0 dB VU.  You will never hear distortion again from any virtual instrument when you get into this habit.  Some of mine are quiet and I have to add gain to them to achieve the desired K ref level.  Others need to be turned down quite noticeably.  As much as 9 or 10 dB.  Most offer output variable level adjustments.

By doing this all your soft synths will be at the right level prior to mixing too.  It is good to render them at the correct level, one less step to do in your pre mix work prep.

Reading a VU meter also takes a little practice too.  Signals vary over a wide dynamic range sometimes and it is a matter to understand what the VU meter is showing you.  We are looking at the loudest bits and over longer times as well.  After a while it is easy to see where that average point is with the meter ballistic and line that up as best you can around 0 dB VU.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/07/13 16:45:21

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/11 23:02:53 (permalink)
    Hey Jeff. I'm very interested in knowing your methodology with respect to VU meters. I know you posted it sometime before but I can't seem to track it down. Could you please repost it?

I bought the PSP meters and have been wondering exactly what it is I am supposed to be looking/aiiming for.

Thanks Jeff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/12 09:07:42 (permalink)
    Epiphanies are defining moments. You never know to much to have one every now and then. 

I've noticed that Melodyne can distort and clip in a really nasty way and you don't have to be in the red to do it. I forget the exact circumstances but the wave before was nowhere close to clipping, yet in the processing, Melodyne slammed it to the flat top..... I went back and used undo to get back to the pre-processed wave, then reduced the gain and tried again..... waaa laaa.

I always try to look to be sure I'm at the proper levels and check the processed output before moving on to the next thing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/13 12:06:24 (permalink)
    Hitting red on older programs is -6 dB, but I see in X3 -6 dB is orange. I haven't hit red in X3 yet. Haven't recorded with it (no interface/no FireWire port for that W7 computer).

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    batsbrew
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/14 11:18:37 (permalink)
    MY TYPICAL TRACKING LEVELS:

Peak = -6 to -8
    RMS = -22

that's a big crest factor.

i don't feel the need to EVER get into even the yellow with my track levels,
    and most of you have heard the results.

happiness,
    is clean tracks.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

TremoJem
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 10:19:26 (permalink)
    BatsBrew,

So are you saying that when you check your incoming levels on Sonar...you do not exceed -6dB?

I just read (on another site) that you should bounce the master to a 24 bit stereo track and then bring that into a mastering session, I guess, meaning that you copy this stereo, 24 bit track to another project and then use mastering tools to master the project.

I really did not know this. I am wondering what your thoughts are.

Here is my workflow.

Track musicians/instruments.

Create busses where applicable...like for overheads and drum set.

Mix each track.

Mix each buss.

Mix the master, as all tracks or busses go to the master.

I then use the master track to master on, using tools like Ozone5.

I could not tell you if there is, or is not a benefit to bouncing the master to a 24 bit stereo track and then copying this stereo track to a new project and the mastering it...but it does kinda sound like it would be.

What do you think?

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

batsbrew
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 11:17:42 (permalink)
    tremojem

i'm talking strictly about TRACKING.

during the tracking phase, i like to try to have my individual tracks never exceed -6 on PEAK.

typically, it's actually -12.
    that is the sweet spot.

when i combine all of my tracks together to do a mix,
    i try to keep the MASTER bus with peaks of no more than -8, and RMS of no more than -20.

this has to do with matching analog scale of 0dbu at digital scale -20 dBFS

so when i pull my final mixes into WAVELAB to do my mastering,
    i have a file that usually has a Peak level of about -6, and a RMS of about -22, if i did my job right.

then i master it, and typically bring my levels up to peak of -0.2 and RMS of about -10-12,
    aiming for a dynamic range of about 10.

i can push my masters louder, to about DR8, and NOT get into trouble,
    but i like the sound of it less squished.

if i could put out my mixes WITHOUT mastering, i think those sound the best of all.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 11:19:56 (permalink)
    wanna see the dynamic range of your favorite album?

look it up here:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

vanceen
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 814
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 11:36:54 (permalink)
    TremoJem,

I do the same thing as you. I've found that when mastering tools are applied, it inevitably changes the relationship between the various parts of the mix, so it's necessary to go back and do some tweaking of the levels of individual channels or busses. In other words, there may be an optimum mix, but you don't know what it is until you've done the mastering.

I'm sure that in someone's eyes this will be "wrong", but it's what works for me.

SONAR Platinum
    Windows 10
    ASUS X99E WE
    Core i7 5960X  
    32 GB Corsair DDR4 2133 C13
    Fireface UFX USB driver 1.098
    GeForce GTX 950
    TremoJem
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 12:45:10 (permalink)
    BatsBrew,

I am talking about the same thing, except my levels are a bit hotter...but not by much.

Of course the master is not even close, as I have been mastering like Vanceen.

So...when you say you move this file into Wavelabs, does this mean you bounce the master to a stereo track?

And if so, is it 24 bit?

You get my point.

I really do have to try this on my next project.

Vanceen, I too agree, that our workflow is not envied by others...I am just happy to be learning. I am ready for the next step...I guess.

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

batsbrew
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 14:07:07 (permalink)
    trem,
    sounds like you are asking 'mastering' specific questions....

that is an entirely different thing.

i have a 3rd party software i use (Wavelab) dedicated specifically to mastering.
    i use a 3rd party set of Plugins (WAVES) to use for mastering.

when i am going to master a song, i bounce it to a stereo file, 24 bit, no dither.
    it is a 'what you hear is what you get' bounce directly thru the master bus, with all plugins and automation included.

then i "EXPORT" that 24 bit wav file out of sonar completely and work in Wavelab.

if you are going to try to master inside of Sonar (not my choice method) then i would suggest bouncing your song down to a final mixed stereo file, export that, and bring up a brand new clean 'song' file and import it into that, putting your plugins on the master bus and processing directly thru that, avoiding all the unnecessary processing in your working song. (even the channel strip eq's hog memory)

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

bitflipper
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 14:47:34 (permalink)
    Everybody understands that leaving headroom throughout the process is a good practice, from tracking on through to the final mix. You'll avoid so many potential problems along the way if you do.

However, there is a phenomenon that's sometimes referred to as "fader creep". As you mix, you frequently identify an element that's not popping out like it should so you give it 1 or 2 decibels. Later on, you hear something else that's gotten lost in the mix and give it a couple dB. Keep doing that for a few days and before you know it your whole mix has gone up 6 or 8 dB.

Sometimes, the only cure for fader creep is to go in and lower every track. It's a hassle, often requiring readjusting compressor thresholds on multiple tracks and busses. Consequently, most are reluctant to do it. I certainly have been, especially on a nearly-done mix that I've invested many hours in. The point of this thread is to offer a justification for undertaking such an effort.

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/15 16:14:57 (permalink)
    I find when you are sending a group of tracks to a buss it is not hard to keep an eye on buss levels.  When you are VU metering there it is easy to get an overall reading on that buss.  You can almost mix with the VU meter itself.  On a drum buss as you bring in the big hitters such as kick and snare then you can get those VU's moving up to -3 dB VU or so.  As you add extra things into that drum buss the final levels will start reaching 0 dB VU.

As you solo into a buss and listen to what is just on there, the VU will tell you if your buss is starting to run hot or not.  I might group all those tracks that are feeding that buss and pull them down a dB or two during the process of getting buss mixes correct.  You can fine tune the buss master to keep things on track.  Any slight compression over a buss will create the effect of raising its rms level up slightly and reducing slightly the dynmic range on that buss too.  (usually to good effect)  The ballisitics of the meter changes immediately you insert a compressor over a buss.  You can use it to fine tune your compressor settings. Light compression over some Virtual Instruments is almost essential.

Buses then feed the master buss and it is not hard to juggle those buses to get the mix perfect and the main stereo buss ends up at the K ref level too for the entire mix.  I have the real VU's over the main stereo mix at all times right in front of me and that keeps you in check right back at the point of bringing tracks up one by one into their buses.  You have always got your final target level in front of you as you mix.  The virtual VU's are good for the spot positions within your mix.

Do this and the whole session drops down to the point of no clip lights on anywhere at any point in your signal flow.  With plug-ins it is easy to VU meter on the way IN and OUT to make sure everything is running at the right level.  It is possible to send too high levels to a buss and then you are struggling to pull things down.  Mixing into a VU is more like you gradually build up the VU level as you bring things in and then to the point where everything is in and it is just hitting its final target level of 0 dB VU. And not swinging wildly over either.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/07/15 17:17:35

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    TremoJem
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/16 06:15:22 (permalink)
    BatsBrew, sorry...I did not mean to get off track.

I will definitely change my workflow.

I have no choice, but to master in Sonar.

I am certainly not at a point in my learning curve where I could justify a stand alone mastering SW Suite.

Thanks for all of your insight.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

TremoJem
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/16 06:17:52 (permalink)
    Jeff E., what VU meters are you referring too?

This option does not exist in X3e...to my knowledge, but then again I have only scratched the surface of this application.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/16 07:40:12 (permalink)
    Oh, are you referring to when an virtual instrument is clipping because the volume in the synth is too high? s o you'd turn the track volume down assuming it was affecting the synth volume?
    I can def see that as an assumption... I used to think that was how it worked until I (probably) started really messing with synths and seeing that when I would try to turn everything down, they were still sounding messy... carry on :)

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/16 16:02:31 (permalink)
    No, the VU meters are not standard.  They are extra plug-ins that you can get.  But they don't cost much though.  A few companies make them.  The Klanghelm meter is pretty good:

http://klanghelm.com/VUMT.php

The rms or VU meter can take different forms.  eg bar graph displays etc but I like the standard VU needle.  It offers a lot of information in a short space of time.

I have encountered soft synths that produce too much volume and the sound can actually leave those VST's almost clipping.  Metering their output level will enable you to fine tune their output to match your system reference level.  Make the VU meter the first effect in the effects bin.

Some soft synths have limiter features built in and I usually prefer to switch any of that off and let them send out a full uncompressed or unlimited signal.  By turning the output down to match your system level the VST is now not creating any signal that is close to clipping.  The signal level is right at the source.  Synth sounds vary in level a lot because of the nature of the envelopes etc.. The time to turn the output level right up on a soft synth is when the sound is a very short envelope that does not reach much level and dies quickly. Then you may even need the VST output level at full just to get a K system ref level. A really loud bass sound or brass patch on the other hand might require the VST output level way down to get that same K system ref level coming out. Hardware synths behave the same way wth patches. They vary so much in level.

VST Presets can sometimes take over the setting of the output level knob as well.  Changing it will often only work with your current selected preset.  Selecting a new preset will often return the output level to the setting locked in with that preset.  (It is not a bad idea to resave presets used in any production with the right output level setting for that preset and your system)

Messy sounding instruments can also mean messy sounding arrangements.  It is good to look at which synths are playing what all the time and seeing how many are playing at once.  Ideas can interweave rather than try to exist all at once. But that is all another story.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/07/16 18:31:17

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1