Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 17:30:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: cAPSLOCK

I agree that stereotypes can be needlessly limiting. But your second statemnt is simply false. Especially concerning groups, which this topic is addressing. But it is often false even in the case of individuals. For example: I am a road biker. I am pretty fast, but I do not have the potential to win a race against Lance Armstrong. It is not because I have not been dedicated to the sport. I used to ride ~170 miles a week. But my body type, VO2 MAX, muscle composition, among other things I cannot control limit me.

It could be argued that there are differences in the male and female soul as well, but that is a much less quantifiable line of thought.

Still, I think it is easily quantifiable that within the scope of biology there is a difference between brain chemestry across the sexes. This may have something to do with the work men and women choose to do.

cAPS

I disagree regarding individual potential. It's been proven countless times. In the NBA, for instance, when I was in elementary school there was a player named Spud Web. He was 5 feet 1. Yet he was dunking the ball and playing pro ball in the NBA! Even Michael Jordan wasn't the talest or necessarily the best physical Specimen. It was their will. I believe someone could beat Lance Armstrong physicaly, but who has the disicpline and mental toughness? That's why he is who he is. Not because he is a man in particular. Or take Chynna from the WWF. She has a better chance of making it on an NFL team than 90% of the males in the world. I wouldn't pick a fight with her.

Regarding biological differences, well there are of course differences, but none that can't be overcome by a persons inner strenght (with the obvious exceptions of child birth and gender specific biology).

Anyway, that's my opinion.
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 18:55:30 (permalink)
Hi Hans-
I didn`t say that there is a "positive" or justifying interpretation, I was just wondering if her interpretation could be biased by her former experiences. I was not there, so I just politely asked if there are possible other reasons. The way she described it 2:1 is no relevant number to treat her conclusion (that she was disregarded because she is a woman) as a fact like you do

I don't think it had anything to do with my former job experience. I started on 09.15, and was presented with a spot at a table, and a bunch of unopened boxes. No problem, I put it all together... Days went by, no supervision; no problem, I read the documentation (written and online) and made some suggestions... Started answering calls... no problem. I figured they just expected people to jump in...

Then 2 new guys were hired. They had help with setting up their PCs (even their chairs, fer cryin' out loud); they've listened in on support calls, and had at least 3 hours of individual training on the software. One also sat for 2 days next to the manager, bending his ear.

So now these guys have "bonded"; they're best of friends, and I'm still the new kid on the block! Whatever -- I do my job to the best of my ability, that's all I can do. Individually, the guys are very nice, but put them in a group, and you can almost smell the testosterone!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:02:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Hans-
I didn`t say that there is a "positive" or justifying interpretation, I was just wondering if her interpretation could be biased by her former experiences. I was not there, so I just politely asked if there are possible other reasons. The way she described it 2:1 is no relevant number to treat her conclusion (that she was disregarded because she is a woman) as a fact like you do

I don't think it had anything to do with my former job experience. I started on 09.15, and was presented with a spot at a table, and a bunch of unopened boxes. No problem, I put it all together... Days went by, no supervision; no problem, I read the documentation (written and online) and made some suggestions... Started answering calls... no problem. I figured they just expected people to jump in...

Then 2 new guys were hired. They had help with setting up their PCs (even their chairs, fer cryin' out loud); they've listened in on support calls, and had at least 3 hours of individual training on the software. One also sat for 2 days next to the manager, bending his ear.

So now these guys have "bonded"; they're best of friends, and I'm still the new kid on the block! Whatever -- I do my job to the best of my ability, that's all I can do. Individually, the guys are very nice, but put them in a group, and you can almost smell the testosterone!

-Susan

they sound like a bunch of arseholes.
Susan G
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:08:21 (permalink)
Hi ooble-
they sound like a bunch of arseholes.

Yup. They're nice individually, but I don't know what comes over these guys when they get together. Whatever it is, I don't much like it!

-Susan

EDIT: I almost thought they knew each other from before, but no, that wasn't it!
post edited by Susan G - 2006/10/15 19:25:48

gnie
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:17:34 (permalink)
Women have a rhythmic advantage. They are intrinsically connected to cycles.
Women should be better at communicating. In ancient times, while the men were out being silent on the hunt, they tended to agriculture and talked amongst themselves to keep animals away. This social capacity probably makes them more harmonious too.
Maybe the diligent observation skills of hunting gives men an advantage in aural and spatial perception.
Being aggressive, men were able to advance in all the arts, musical, culinary, whatever. That was a societal thing, and no reflection on capability. Women just weren't afforded the opportunity.

Just some random thoughts.
sandman5000
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:18:24 (permalink)

Individually, the guys are very nice, but put them in a group, and you can almost smell the testosterone!

-Susan

I'm sorry, but this sounds sexist to me. Maybe they are bung holes, maybe they were raised as sexists themselves. Maybe it's your personality, maybe it's theirs. But the testosterone has nothing to do with it.
sandman5000
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:23:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gnie

Women have a rhythmic advantage. They are intrinsically connected to cycles.
Women should be better at communicating. In ancient times, while the men were out being silent on the hunt, they tended to agriculture and talked amongst themselves to keep animals away. This social capacity probably makes them more harmonious too.
Maybe the diligent observation skills of hunting gives men an advantage in aural and spatial perception.
Being aggressive, men were able to advance in all the arts, musical, culinary, whatever. That was a societal thing, and no reflection on capability. Women just weren't afforded the opportunity.

Just some random thoughts.

If you accept the positive stereo types, then you have to accept the negative ones as well. Are women moodier and vindictive and therefore unfit for leadership too? As far as better at communicating, well talk to my ex and I think she'll dispell a lot of those stereo types .
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:25:06 (permalink)
As far as better at communicating, well talk to my ex and I think she'll dispell a lot of those stereo types

hell yeah, same here! like talking to a wall, it really was!!
HansDampf
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:28:38 (permalink)

Ok, thank you Susan for the description of your situation and for not getting me wrong
I was just asking, because for example it could also be that you are better educated than your co-workers and they are biased about you because of this. That may ask for other strategies to get along with them... maybe you could create a situation of trust to at least one of them and talk to him about your situation in a factual manner after a while. I wish you the best for overcoming your momentarily situation.
post edited by HansDampf - 2006/10/15 19:45:43
Susan G
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:36:23 (permalink)
Hi Hugh-

I'm sorry, but this sounds sexist to me. Maybe they are bung holes, maybe they were raised as sexists themselves. Maybe it's your personality, maybe it's theirs. But the testosterone has nothing to do with it.

That's okay; I don't know how many posts you've read of mine. Read the whole thread, then post back, if you want to. I doubt you'll find anything in this thread or anything I've posted that sounds "sexist".

-Susan

sandman5000
RE: Home studios, daws and so forth - is this mainly a guy thing? 2006/10/15 19:43:30 (permalink)

Hi Hugh-

That's okay; I don't know how many posts you've read of mine. Read the whole thread, then post back, if you want to. I doubt you'll find anything in this thread or anything I've posted that sounds "sexist".

-Susan

Well, you are implying that they are behaving that way because they are male. I say they are behaving that way because they don't know any better. I've been in both situations. All male co-workers, and were I was the only male. There were differences in how the genders behaved, but again, I believe it to be cultural rather than estrogen or testosterone.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1