Honest Opinions Wanted

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sign of Jonah
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2011/01/23 00:23:32 (permalink)

Honest Opinions Wanted

Warrning Christian content: We would like some Honest but even handed feed back of this praise song. It is called Stand this is just a rough mix right now although I think the Drums, Lead Vox,  and Bass lines are keepers we will need to add Electric Guitar, Keyboards and backing vox on the final mix, I am using MC4 can some one tell me if this program can be used to master songs when there done and if so how? and if not what do I need to do to get them smoothed out? thanks Jimmy, SOJ

http://soundclick.com/signofjonah
post edited by Sign of Jonah - 2011/01/23 00:34:39

33 Replies Related Threads

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 06:33:58 (permalink)
    Hello and welcome to the Honest Opinions forum.
    This is a real nice song and sounds very nice vocally. The inst. performances are real nice too. The instrumental mix is a bit muffled/muddy and could use some tweaking via EQ and separation. Keep up the good work.

String Jammer
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 06:35:05 (permalink)
    Double post
    post edited by Scottytunes - 2011/01/23 08:39:30

String Jammer
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 07:24:44 (permalink)
    Hi SOJ, nice composition and nicely played and sung. The acoustic guitar part sounds like it's recorded direct and sounds a bit lifeless. Imho adding a second acoustic guitar part with a counter rhythm would break up the rather monotonous strumming pattern. While the singing is very nice I don't like the high second voice going down at the end of a passage. Maybe it would sound more uplifting if the second voice would go up.

Greetings , Rik
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 14:55:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys You're  right about the mix being muddy I'm still trying to figure out the whole EQ thing saddly I'm an OK bass player but a lousy sound engineer. Morenoise you nailed the direct recording on the head. My ( Studio) IS My Garage Really so we are forever trying to build foam boxes to cover mic'd amps  but I haven't found away to wrap my guitarest in foam "YET"!! I'll listen to the backing vocals again I hadn't thought about going up on that part but then again we will be recording backing vocals again next week.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 15:18:13 (permalink)
    SOJ.... good sounding tune... like modern P&W music....

YEah you can use MC4 to do everything you want. It has been my DAW of choice for 3+ years now.

BTW: never apologize for Christian Lyrics... or post warnings..... people should not be offended or warned off .......

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 15:40:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Herb The Warrning was a bit tounge in cheek The song started out as sort of a fight song about not being ashamed about being a Christian But over time God sofened my stance and it became a strait praise song. Yea I Love modern Praise music too, I also love all the christian rock going on out there. Good to see that Christian musicians and song writers can hold their own on AOR,
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 15:57:05 (permalink)
    Jonah.. check your PM

BMI/NSAI

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 16:13:18 (permalink)
    I like it.  :-) 
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 17:10:25 (permalink)
    Jimmy, there are many Christian songwriters on this forum so......welcome. Great start on a great song. Strong arrangement. Solid voices on this although the lead vox eq is a little "honky", nice accurate bgv. The toms are sweet and meaty on the chorus but the verse drums sound thin. Small timing glitches here and there. I think you have a winner here. I am looking forward to hearing the final. Excellent potential, enjoyed the listen................Ron 

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 19:10:46 (permalink)
    savageopera

Jimmy, there are many Christian songwriters on this forum so......welcome. Great start on a great song. Strong arrangement. Solid voices on this although the lead vox eq is a little "honky", nice accurate bgv. The toms are sweet and meaty on the chorus but the verse drums sound thin. Small timing glitches here and there. I think you have a winner here. I am looking forward to hearing the final. Excellent potential, enjoyed the listen................Ron 

Thanks Ron,  I appreciate the imput, not sure what you mean by ( Honky) But we will be reworking the Backing Vox in a week or so I have Terris voice doubbled right now but I think I'm going to back that out a bit, The Drums are a Roland TD4 we use Gretsch live and were planing to mic them and get a recording so the Roland was just a stop gap but we are liking the sound so we might see what we can do to fatten up the verses.  The timing glitches are due to me cutting and pasting the accuostic guitar part I am hoping to redo them when I can find away to mic the guitar properly. I want to have a final product in a week or two. Thanks Jimmy
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 19:38:41 (permalink)
    looking forward to hear the final of this.  Honk on a track refers to the overabundance of middle frequencies..... sometimes it sounds boxy, or honky, or in many cases just muddy. Scooping the mids a few db usually solves the problem. 

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/23 21:34:57 (permalink)
    jim - I really like this!  very nice work!

the mix is a little soft, you could use some compression/limiting on the output.  the ride is a little hot in the mix, I'd EQ that down a tad.  nice voice for a guy!  

the mix sounds very mono - do you have anything panned?

bass could come up in the mix some.

lead vox could use a little boost in the upper mids (and a pop filter to prevent plosives)

great song, very nice first work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/24 18:07:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle I haven't even tried to EQ yet but I'm getting alot of good feed back I'm beginning to think there is a problem with my MC4 though the only EQ I find in the FX bin is a PARA-Q is that the one I need?  Also good read on the Mono, I have my input set on line 6 stereo and I have two wave form in the track view but I only have sound if I pan C or left if I pan right I have nothing could you suggest what I might be doing wrong? I run my vocals through the UX2 via XLR cable when I record guitars I run 1/4" cable through a DI box to XLR and into the UX2, as for the pop I have a wind screen on my mic should I get a full blown pop screen? Thanks for your input, Jimmy.

jim - I really like this!  very nice work!

the mix is a little soft, you could use some compression/limiting on the output.  the ride is a little hot in the mix, I'd EQ that down a tad.  nice voice for a guy!  

the mix sounds very mono - do you have anything panned?

bass could come up in the mix some.

lead vox could use a little boost in the upper mids (and a pop filter to prevent plosives)

great song, very nice first work!

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/24 20:42:44 (permalink)
    on EQ - yes, in MC4 that's the only one that comes with it and it will work, or you can download some freebies.   there are a couple of really good freebie EQs out there, but I don't remember what they are right now, I always just use sonar's EQs.  search on KVRaudio.com for a free parametric EQ.

as far as the guitar recording - yes, if you record your guitar thru the UX2's software adding FX then it will be in stereo and you will get 2 waves on the track.  panning a stereo track like that won't do you any good.  if you only have one guitar then that's fine the way it does it anyway.

but some widening of that field might help, too.

what mic are you using for vocals?  a pop filter when recording vox always helps, a windscreen doesn't really stop plosives as well as a pop filter does.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/24 20:58:29 (permalink)
    Well the flying Beagle took my thundeer here...!!!!   you gotta watch that guy.....Not sure if I could trust a flying Beagle !!!!!   

Just Kidding Reece!!!!!!!!!   but I really am hoping that flying Beagle is Photoshopped!!!!!

Oh sorry...on to the tune.....    I love P & W music.....so keep it coming...

I have to agree with Beagle, try panning your instruments  and using you WHOLE Sound spectrum......this can give instruments space......

at the end I heard the lead vocals say something.....need to cut them things out....

but the music itself was strongly played and nice to listen to....try working with your track envlopes to balance the vol. of everything cause in a few spots the vocalist was moving back and forth  (closer then farther away) from the mic and the balance got off.....just a smidgen ........

my suggestion would be to remix this and let us hear it again.......

nice job at it

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/24 21:04:15 (permalink)
    like the song, could definitely here my church doing it.

agreed with most of the mix comments so far
    vocals sound good
    needs more kick/bass for sure.
    need to widen the mix, there are plugings that can help with this.   Also doing stuff like double or trippling up on the recording, and panning some middle some to the sides.

anyway, nice job :)

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/24 23:24:47 (permalink)
    Love it.... Really great song. The song is very mid and could use a little low end to punch it up a bit. Really love the vocals and the message.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 10:46:46 (permalink)
    Thanks again Beagle, I think I might have found part of the problem in looking in the help topics the XLR connection  is a mono signal according to MC4 I would have thought it was a stereo. I do have two wave forms in all my  tracks  but I still only have sound on the left I went through all my settings last night and can't find where I have anything set wrong. I use sure 58s on my vox and when I mic my amps sometimes I will mic my amp and also run a direct line the UX2 gives me that option. I'm going to start playing with the EQ this week to see what I can do but in the end I'm going to re-record the vox  ( with a pop filter)  pull up the bass and re-record the guitars.
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 10:59:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Cliford, I'm working on the panning and EQ issues As for the talking at the end, That wont be in the final mix I just didn't bother cutting it out for this mix ( Terry's issue was the the monitors dropped out) I need to figure out how to be a sound engineer LOL I think the sound going in and out was my fault we did the vox in three takes and I think I forgot to reset after some of the takes I will get that fixed. later Jimmy.
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 11:04:01 (permalink)
    Kroneborge

like the song, could definitely here my church doing it.

agreed with most of the mix comments so far
    vocals sound good
    needs more kick/bass for sure.
    need to widen the mix, there are plugings that can help with this.   Also doing stuff like double or trippling up on the recording, and panning some middle some to the sides.

anyway, nice job :)

Matthew that is about the best compliment I could have gotten Thank you. This song was written to be shared once it is done if you really like contact me or have your Church music director contact me and I'll send you a chord sheet and performance notes
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 11:20:52 (permalink)
    Hi,

Very nice song!  I like the vocals.

Would love to hear it with a mic'd acoustic.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 17:57:15 (permalink)
    good start to the tune....wont comment on the mix as I'm on puter speakers...its 100% praise song so in that vain I wont go into the backing vox being too much too often...as I'm assuming its meant for the whole congregation to be singin off the prompt....so in that light its a cool song and should work well in a service!

cool stuff
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 21:19:26 (permalink)
    thepogue

good start to the tune....wont comment on the mix as I'm on puter speakers...its 100% praise song so in that vain I wont go into the backing vox being too much too often...as I'm assuming its meant for the whole congregation to be singin off the prompt....so in that light its a cool song and should work well in a service!

cool stuff

Yes you are right it is meant to have a very singable chorus and the bridge is intended  to get everyone singing/Praising together in the final mix I plan to add more ie different voices I may cut the bridge in half for recording but leave it as is for live performances.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/25 21:46:00 (permalink)
    This is good, and has some power to it. It wants to be bigger, much bigger. At the moment it is a bit dry, and somewhat monophonic.
    Experiment with busses, reverb, doubling, etc. You can do some incredible things with MC4, so don't worry about that.
    As you try things and make changes, save as a new version. Don't sweat trashing a version. You will.
    This deserves putting some work into it. Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    DJSur
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/28 21:05:27 (permalink)

Nice arrangement and instrumentation.
    Instrumental performance has some glitches here and there that stand out.
    Lead vocals are nice but pitchy at times, could do without the harmonizer.
    Back vocals are out of tune in places and need work.
    Overall the mix is uneven. The music is far back in the mix and the vocals kind of take over the track. 

soundcloud   acidplanet   myspace

on-line fo-rum (n) - data warehouse that provides little to no ROI 
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/30 03:15:25 (permalink)
    Jimmy, Everyone has kind of nailed everything on the head, so I will just say a great start to a great up and coming song. Nicely done first.

Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/31 10:14:01 (permalink)
    I liked the song a lot.  Singing is great, i love those harmonies.
    The mix sounds okay to me.  I would boost some bass and maybe spread out the stage a bit but that's just some nitpicking.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    lackluster strumming
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/01/31 23:57:31 (permalink)
    nice song.  I think it has a lot of potentinal.  bass and drums sound good.  maybe eq the resonance out of the toms a little, they seem to be kinda boomy.  boomy is good, try to get the feeling of boom without overpowering everything else. 

the whole song could use tightening up.  some sort of audiosnap or whatever you have. to give you an example that is pretty obvious at 3:23 the acoustic and the crash don't come back in at the same time.  the crash hits first.  also the timing on the drummers rolls seems to be sloppy. 

the acoustic guitar could use some reverb or something to help smooth it out.  also, it maybe a little choppy.   try eq it out of the mix so you just hear the percussive strum of it and less of the tone.  that works in some songs with acoustic guitars.  I also think that micing it would help.  the pezio pickups don't sound that great (on any recording) 

So i think the thing that is adding so much "mud" to the mix isn't necessarily the eq of the song, maybe just the eq of the reverb on the lead vocs.  Try to cut out some of the low end reverb.  500 hz or above or maybe a 1000 or above or to taste.  Also, way to much predelay, it's distracting.  maybe there shouldn't be any at all.  i don't know play around with it and see what you come up with.

i'm just now starting to understand how to make reverb sound the way that it is supposed to.  It should sound like peanut butter being spread in one even stroke from one side of the bread to another.  or the way that bob ross whisps clouds with a brush stroke on his canvas, if that makes any sense. 

also a lead guitar part for fills would really help out.  that would help take the pressure off of the acoustic.  do you have anybody to do that for you?   

hope any of that helps.  these are just suggestions that i would try to make this song sound better.  Some of them will work and some of them won't.  Either way, i hope i didn't burst your bubble. 

quentin
    Sign of Jonah
    Re:Honest Opinions Wanted 2011/02/01 11:39:08 (permalink)
    RobertB

This is good, and has some power to it. It wants to be bigger, much bigger. At the moment it is a bit dry, and somewhat monophonic.
    Experiment with busses, reverb, doubling, etc. You can do some incredible things with MC4, so don't worry about that.
    As you try things and make changes, save as a new version. Don't sweat trashing a version. You will.
    This deserves putting some work into it. Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.

Thank you Robert,  I have been experimenting with EQ and reverb a little, I have started to re-rececord it last weekend taking in to consideration some of the tips I got here. It is already BIGGER right now I'm staying with one vocalist for recording although live we have several vocalists to cover the harmonies. I can't seem to solve the monophonic problem yet I have recorded in stereo, and on left and right inputs but I still have only sound on the left.
    post edited by Sign of Jonah - 2011/02/01 16:32:21
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1