Hope some one can help....

Author
msam876
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/03/10 10:27:00 (permalink)

Hope some one can help....

I've been online doing alot of searching, I've been recording for quite awhile but I just got into the large world of MIDI. I'm looking for a very realistic Ochestra/string plugin. if anyone knows the best one to get could you please let me know. I find the ones that come with this program and ever the Legacy ones that came with my Korg just don't sound realistic. The more I think of it, its probably solo'd instruments that the user puts together to sound like an orchestra, still, none of the cello/violin...etc sound real....if anyone has anything thoughts......send'em this way !!

Thank you very much

Mike Sampson

4 Replies Related Threads

beethoven17
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Hope some one can help.... 2007/03/10 10:34:52 (permalink)
    Garritan Personal Orchestra's not bad, IMHO (http://www.garritan.com). It uses an unusual control method (mod wheel for volume) but can produce some fairly expressive results. I'm sure there are more realistic solutions out there...but I'm sure there are much more expensive solutions too - GPO's quite reasonably priced. Listen to their sample files and see what you reckon.

best

andrew

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Hope some one can help.... 2007/03/10 10:42:33 (permalink)
    +1 for GPO - check out some of forum member Randy Bowser's work with Garritan Personal Orchestra to hear what can be achieved...

http://rbowser.tripod.com/mikado/sound.html

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: Hope some one can help.... 2007/03/10 11:17:18 (permalink)
    The more I think of it, its probably solo'd instruments that the user puts together to sound like an orchestra, still, none of the cello/violin...etc sound real....if anyone has anything thoughts......send'em this way !!

There's a book called the "Guide to MIDI Orchestration" by Gilreath & Aiken. It's somewhat pricy but it is said to be the bible of making real sounding orchestra recordings with MIDI. (I haven't read it but it sounds like it would be helpful for what your are doing.)

Just a thought.

I am not an expert
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Hope some one can help.... 2007/03/10 11:26:39 (permalink)
    Thank ye James for the plug!---BUT the sound track I produced for "The Mikado" was actually done with the Korg X5dr synth module years before I had GPO. There's also an error on that page I gotta fix, the Act 1 Finale clip doesn't play.

BUT!--

Here are samples of 100% GPO sounds--I just finished doing the entire score for "H.M.S. Pinafore" using nothing but GPO, and this page has a cool MP3 player that starts instantly and cycles through 10 short demo clips:

http://rbowser.tripod.com/pinafore.html

msam876
    , you simply couldn't do better than to get GPO. It's way beyond "not bad"--it's the best.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1