Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed!

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2010/09/18 21:45:00 (permalink)

Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed!

Hello everyone.  Looking for an economical solution to keeping my computer cooler.

I just installed a new nVidea card, and the sucker gets pretty hot.  I get the BSOD if the computer gets too hot.  So right now I'm compensating by opening up the case and pointing my small fan into it.  This really helps, so I know that this is the problem.  I was getting it before, and it was a bad video driver from my onboard card; so this solution worked but it created another!  LOL.

So anyhoo, What should I do to keep her cool?

Thanks!!

28 Replies Related Threads

spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/18 22:11:43 (permalink)
    BY THE WAY, after I posted this, I downloaded this program and ran it.  Turned on my computer, and these are the temps after it's been off for about 3 hours!  (Granted, it was running all day)

PS, I turned on my fan again, and watched the temperature on the Video card drop 30 degrees in less than 4 minutes!!!  Before I turned the fan on, the top temp was 161(f), and it dropped to 134(f)!!

This is definitely my problem, I think!!??
    post edited by spindlebox - 2010/09/18 22:12:51

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 07:18:54 (permalink)
    The 8400GS is a relatively "old" low end video card.  I had an 8600GT for many years with an old Dell.

Best suggestion is to install a better video card and one with a built on fan. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 08:00:11 (permalink)
    It sounds like a budget video card.

Looking at your temps there the CPU temps are within stable and 'normal' Phenom ranges.

The gpu looks for sure to be the culprit here.

You could replace the fan on it but a good fan plus the cheap card starts to make the budget card look like a bad buy.  Another thing to check which is often overlooked is the layer of heatsink paste between the cooler and GPU and I've had up to 15% improvements in temp. from the factory fit just changing this and doing it properly myself.  That could make 20 degrees f difference here!

http://www.newegg.com/Sto...6&name=VGA-Cooling

I knew an nVidia hardware guy once who told me that silicon used in the cards is all destined for the top end cards and that second digit gives away the quality of that silicon under stress (i.e speed vs heat) and the chips are graded accordingly.  According to him the price/performance sweet spot starts at the x6xx cards and up like Fireberd says.

So you may be able to pick up an 8400 gs for less than $40 these days but add the price of adequate cooling, which is a necessity not a luxury as you've found out, and you start approaching the price of a decent 1Gb 9800GT package which plays nice right out of the box.

The other factor about buying cheap is that if it takes down the rest of your rig through overheating it may just end up being much more than the price of a video card at stake.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/09/19 08:17:12

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 15:04:53 (permalink)

Best suggestion is to install a better video card and one with a built on fan.

FWIW, Passive cooled video cards are absolutely fine (if you choose the right model)...
    If the OP's video card is overheating, he needs to get it swapped out for a unit that works (well).

@OP:
    Opening the case and blowing a huge fan into it is not a good long-term solution.  
    Swap out your current (defective) video card

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/09/19 15:07:21

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 15:06:43 (permalink)
    9800GT

FWIW, the passive cooled 9800GTs run hot as hades. 
    The newer series of Nvidia cards run cooler...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 17:11:42 (permalink)
    Bummer, I just got this one (the video card) like 2 weeks ago.  I just bought a fan which mounts right above it, and will try this solution first.  I'm keeping receipts and boxes for both.  I wish I was able to read this thread earlier, but we had a tornado come through our neighborhood last night and we lost power.  Typing this from a hotel as we speak!  Fortunately no damage to our house, but some of our neighbors didn't fare so well.  Power is out.

Anyway, unless you all think this is beyond redemption with a fan just over it, I'm going to try this route and monitor temps accordingly.  If you all think there could be long term repurcussions in the negative sense, than I'll pack both up and take 'em back to the store.

It's amazing, so much to learn here!  I'm glad I diagnosed my BSOD problem, but it seems my solution created another problem. At least I know what the deal is though.

Thank you all!!

spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 17:18:55 (permalink)
    Another thing, suggestions for video cards would be very helpful here, if anyone here knows one that works well with DAW's.  The one I have enables me to plug 2 monitors into it; a VGA monitor and a HDMI port that I hook a VGA adapter; so one with VGA and HDMI is needed here.

Anyone use these?  Maybe in conjunction with a better, cooler video card?:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835110015

Thanks everyone!!

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 19:26:32 (permalink)
    My new video card... a Gforce 210 IIRC had a fan on it.... I have checked inside and it runs pretty cool... I will check into that app to monitor the temps.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 19:33:44 (permalink)
    Thanks G-hacker.  Interested to know what your temps are.  That program is free, by the way.

Cheers

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/19 22:38:58 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

9800GT

FWIW, the passive cooled 9800GTs run hot as hades. 
    The newer series of Nvidia cards run cooler...

You're of course absolutely right Jim, although they do  tend to come equipped with great big heat sink and cooler combinations these days and while it's still a pretty good card I'm a few generations behind with the 9800's, the newer 2 and 4 series cards would be a much better bet and the 2's start out at very reasonable prices if blistering frame rates on 3d games isn't a requirement, which of course it won't be on a DAW... 
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/09/19 22:41:39

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/20 19:25:11 (permalink)
    OK, I've installed the fan

(BTW, it's this one, mounted just over my Vid card:  http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/101); it cost me $19.99 + tax)

These are my new temp readings:

As you can see, the MAX temperature is 40(f) LESS than before; the most striking thing is, this second reading is after 1 HOUR, versus 5 minutes with my first reading.

I am wondering if about 114(f) is an acceptable temp, and what is TOO MUCH.  Obviously, at 154(f) the computer hadn't blue screened yet.

So . . . . the plan is, I am going to stick with this for now - AS LONG AS I GET NO BSOD's.

Eventually, again, if my system runs well, I will invest in a better video card.  I want to have a few more clients in to get equipment money though.  BUT, if these temps are still too much, and if my entire system is at risk unless I get a more expensive card, than I obviously WILL DO SO.

But, if things seem cool (pun intended), and  I can get through a session with no unexpected shut downs - I will be VERY HAPPY!  So will my clients!!  LOL.

Thanks to all who have jumped in here.

BTW, Jim, what type of video card do you USUALLY install in your DAW's?  Can you provide links?  I hear you're the man to listen to and that you build some quality machines!!  Any component advice you can give me re: Video Card and maybe even power supply would be welcome.

Cheers

Guitarhacker
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/20 20:04:04 (permalink)
    Looks like it's working....

that reminded me of a true story about some friends that had a band.... they had some sort of electrical issue that blew out all their power amps except one Crown.... and they had a big club to play on Friday & Saturday night... biggest club in town.... if you screw up that gig... you don't ever get another chance to play there again. So they showed up with their PA and that one Crown. They hooked up as many of the full range cabinets as they dared, on each channel.  The load was well below the minimum on the nameplate. They popped off the top cover.... hung the amp from some rope between 2 chairs and put a 20" box fan running on high aimed right into the guts.... they were able to play both nights... at a slightly lower volume than usual. The amp was hot enough to cook on but it held for both nights.

Quite a testament to Crown power amps.

BMI/NSAI

spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/21 06:42:49 (permalink)
    OK, not a good way to wake up in the morning.

I let the computer run all night, and woke up to a BSOD.  Checked my event viewer, and it's very confusing.  The last event happened when I restarted my computer; however the tech I had (who couldn't figure this out BTW) set it to BSOD and hold so I could read the screen.  It just says rubbish about "if I installed new hardware, etc. etc."  Not helpful.

So I'm back to the drawing board.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the temp on my Video card, is 118(f) currently; it's been on all night.

(large 'sigh' before signing off . . . )

Guitarhacker
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/21 09:50:20 (permalink)
    could be software issues causing the BSOD?

Now the search begins.

I don't know much about them but if the new video card is causing interrupt problems that can be the cause of BSOD. DOn't ask me how to check that...IDK.

History: I have a dell lappy running Vista 32. It was crashing alot. I finally exhausted all my options for fixing the root problem with out success. One guy I spoke with said it sounded like a corrupted OS causing the crashes. It was doing a bunch of goofy things besides crashing. His remedy was to reinstall the OS and Apps after formatting the HD.   I resisted, knowing the work involved. But eventually, it became so bad there was really no other option.

In the Dell Vista 32.... I had the optionto "restore to a previous point" OR return to factory setup. I chose to return to factory setup. pushing that button was the hardest thing I ever clicked on.... because I knew all the data was going to be erased and I was starting from scratch. I had previously saved all my data to disk or USB external drives, I had all my original install disks for my apps, so I was ready.

After the reinstall was complete... maybe 30 minutes... the computer was just like new again. reinstalled all my apps and was up and running in a day. 

All that to say that might be the best option for you... if there is some sort of OS problem. If the computer is used online, it picks up all sorts of stuff that will slow it down, and eventually, that stuff can cause BSOD issues.
    During the reinstall of the OS and drivers and such, the new video card should take it's proper place if that's the issue.

Either way, you start again with a new clean OS and a fast running computer.  Somebody on here actually said that they routinely format and reinstall the OS on a yearly basis for the simple reason of cleaning up the system so it runs fast.

Update on the dell lappy, it's been on the new OS install for a year... it has slowed down some on start up, but it is not crashing yet. I am careful what I use it for online.... as little as possible.

BMI/NSAI

spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/21 16:22:55 (permalink)

Guitarhacker,
    Yes, that is usually my first remedy.  In fact, when I started this whole process, before I discovered that it could be the video card, I did a fresh Win 7 install, after doing a C: format.  So I totally started from scratch, and reinstalled everything, and I'm running a pretty much DAW only enviroment now.

Aside from my computer running MUCH faster, this problem still persists.  Not as much as it used to, but it is still there - and usually at the most inopportune time.  When is it EVER convenient?!

So, I'm pretty sure it's not an OS or software issue.  Not even a driver issue; all my drivers are up to date.

This is extremely frustrating to say the least.

I just called the place I bought it and am going to bring it in on Sunday, I think.  I'm thinking the motherboard may be going south.  I have a PCI Express slot that caused a BSOD yesterday when I tried to put my Firewire card into it.  Even though there is nothing plugged into this slot, the bad blood could be leaking somewhere else.

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/22 07:07:35 (permalink)
    The 10D error, according to a thread on the Windows 7 forum, is most likely a Firewire issue.  Do you have any firewire devices connected?

If there are any BIOS updates for the motherboard I would try that.  You could also try resetting the BIOS and see what happens.  On most, removing the CR2032 CMOS backup battery on the motherboard for about 10 minutes will reset the BIOS.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/23 16:23:02 (permalink)
    Fireberd,
    YES!  Thank you.  Actually, my new guitarist who does IT for a living has pulled my current interface out and popped one he has IN; we're letting it run overnight.  Hopefully no BSOD.

Thanks for checking into that.  I cc:'d him your message!!  I'll report back.

spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/24 20:28:16 (permalink)
    OK, apparently it WAS my firewire card.  My guy changed cards and ran it for 20 hours after the install, as well as running a number of tests, including loading all the drivers on startup prior to loading the windows drivers, it blue screened on the 3rd party.  Further tests indicated a firewire problem.

This all makes sense because my problems started soon after I changed to this new firewire card.

Oh well, I'm still not getting my hopes up.  LOL.  Even though everything is probably cool.  I'm typing from this machine now.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/25 09:37:18 (permalink)
    Very cool that you found the issue.... now... if that machine is going to be a DAW only environment... pull the internet cable out and don't go online with it.....

use a different computer for internet stuff..... if you have one.

That's my stated plan for my new DAW..... music only... totally off line.  Incoming and outgoing files swapped by USB stick scanned for virus each time.  Yeah it takes a few minutes longer but..... I want this machine to stay as fast as it is right now...two years from now.

BMI/NSAI

spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/25 09:39:24 (permalink)
    Well, my intuition was unfortunately proven to be VERY STRONG yet again . . .

Woke up this morning to a BSOD.  I had left it on all night.  The only program open was CD Architect.

Back to the drawing board! 

Guitarhacker
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/25 16:04:35 (permalink)
    bummer..... I might look to see if there is some sort of software program that troubleshoots the software interrupts and the other stuff.... that is a real PITB.

BMI/NSAI

haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/25 20:02:14 (permalink)
    Are your BSOD's the same every time?  If they are different, then you definitely have a hardware problem. 

Your system should not blue screen from interrupt conflicts, maybe glitches in audio but not blue screens.  Win7 is smart sharing IRQ's, not like the older operating systems.

Jim
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/27 06:39:02 (permalink)
    haydn,
    Not sure what you mean about "different", but they happen at different times without warning.  Sometimes doing something, sometimes doing nothing.  I thought we had the firewire problem licked, with that 10D error and all.  I'm thinking it's either power supply or motherboard.  It's gotta be hardware.  I've done a fresh install of the OS and all programs; it's happened before AND after.

My buddy from the band will track it down, I'm sure.  It may warrant a rebuild; bummer for a computer that's only 13 months old, and it's an HP! 

haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/27 17:44:20 (permalink)
    On the BSOD there is an area with the STOP code.  Is this the same Stop code every time? 

I'm sure the issue is not with the OS but is most likely either a hardware issue or a bad driver.

Jim
    chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/28 08:56:02 (permalink)
    Try some RAM heatsinks, perhaps your mem is getting too hot.

BSOD and RAM often go hand in hand!

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/29 06:49:53 (permalink)
    OK, I think I may have this licked.

Talking with my guitarist yesterday, we discovered an important feature of these BSOD's. 

They were only happening HERE.  With my AI plugged into my firewire card.

I remembered that I was using the 2.0 driver because the interface was better, and it seemed stable.

Well, I decided, interface or not, it was worth a try.  Went to Focusrite's website and they had a NEW driver which states:

Saffire Mix Control 2.2
    -Added support for Saffire Pro 14
    -Updated driver to version 3.5.3
    -Resolved some rare blue-screens which could occur in Windows 7
    -Improved driver performance in Windows 7
    -Resolved issue where MIDI driver would not load when using Mac OS X in specific languages.

I downloaded it and updated it, and was happy to see the interface was the same too.  I've had the computer on for over 13 hours, AFTER my recording session, which occurred with no BSOD's last night.  I'm keeping the computer on for good measure.  It was nice to come down to a screensaver for a change!! 

I'm hopeful, for the first time in WEEKS!!

PS, "Rare" blue screens?! 

I hope to god this is it!! 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/29 07:17:39 (permalink)
    Sounds like you might have nailed it then.

Good work <thumbs up>

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    spindlebox
    Re:Hot Computer - Cooling Solutions Needed! 2010/09/30 22:03:53 (permalink)
    YES YES YES
    It's running GREAT!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1