How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode?

Author
overdub
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
2017/02/24 17:51:49 (permalink)

How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode?

Hi friends, the subject line asks it all... I have two HDMI monitors I want to connect to my new Asus laptop via HDMI. I've researched this stuff for a couple of months now and I still don't know the best way to do this.  I've been told to use an HDMI splitter and I don't think that would give me an extended desktop.  Obviously, I don't want the same image on both of the monitors.  Instead, I want a full extended desktop on two monitors to use with SPLAT and create more screen real estate.  Has anyone here been successful in doing this?  Thanks everyone!
Dub

Dub Campbell
Nashville, Tennessee Music City USA

6 Replies Related Threads

rivers88
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 328
    Re: How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode? 2017/02/24 18:11:30 (permalink)
    Splitter definitely wouldn't do it - 
    You need the equivalent of two separate HDMI outputs.

Can't attest to the quality, but something like this might work for you:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/j5-create-superspeed-usb-3-0-to-2-x-hdmi-external-video-adapter-silver-white/5615018.p?skuId=5615018

If your laptop already has one HDMI output, you could send that output to one monitor, and use a single-output USB to HDMI adapter for the second.

Some laptop hardware manufacturers offer docking stations with dual monitor outputs; might be worth looking in to.

FWIW - 
    Adding a USB video adapter might be asking a lot for you laptop if you're already driving a USB audio interface and other hardware like MIDI controllers. As much as a like having two big monitors for my desktop, I have found that just adding one bigger monitor to my laptop (I use a 23" with mine, attached directly to the laptop HDMI output, when I'm hanging out at my "2nd home") makes a world of difference. I setup the HDMI monitor directly behind and above the laptop, and use the monitor for all the detail work, while using the laptop screen for the console, VST's etc.

Works great!
    highlandermak
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    Re: How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode? 2017/02/24 18:13:12 (permalink)
    My first thought is if there is a docking station that you can purchase for your laptop. Usually docking stations will give you multi output options. I have not tried the extended view with a splitter but as you said know for sure they work well to clone the image as I do that with my TVs. I guess it would come down to if the adapter could recoginze the 2 and enable the feature. Good luck

Computer: CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR GXiVR8140A Gaming PC
    CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core | Intel Z370 Express Chipset
    Graphic: NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB
    USB: 6 x USB 3.1 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000
    Storage: 240GB SSD+2TB HDD
    Application(DAW): Studio One 3 Pro and SONAR PLATINUM - Version (Most current update)
    Audio Interfaces: PreSonus Studio 192 and Focusrite: Scarlett 6i6 (Most current updates)
    Snehankur
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re: How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode? 2017/02/24 18:18:39 (permalink)
    Hi Dub,
    For this I have some questions:
    You have mentioned "New" Laptop means it has an HDMI port which you can use for you first monitor.
    Is there any other monitor port available - like older laptops used to have one VGA and an HDMI. If you have one then you need a converter for that port to HDMI because your other monitor is also HDMI. Secondary option is : what are the other option available on your monitors apart from HDMI.

If you can physically connect the two monitors to your laptop then Right-clicking on windows desktop you will get a popup menu with Graphics properties/Graphic Option where you will get Output to>

From there we can go ahead.
    Regards
    Snehankur
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode? 2017/02/24 19:43:53 (permalink)
    ^^^ +1 right here ^^^

My desktop only has one HDMI output, but I am using two monitors.  I also have a VGA and DVI output to work with.  If your second monitor has one of those inputs and your laptop can also do that, Windows will let you run two monitors just fine in extended desktop mode.  You do not need dual HDMI.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    DayDay72
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode? 2017/03/09 20:24:14 (permalink)
    or, use a usb2 video adapter...as many as you need...
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: How Can I Connect Laptop to 2 Additional Monitors, extended desktop mode? 2017/03/11 11:06:04 (permalink)
    Look up Matrox DUAL head to go digital

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1