How Does SoundClick Operate?

Author
sgaines44
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
2008/05/21 17:58:31 (permalink)

How Does SoundClick Operate?

I had seen some of the members here with links to their page on SoundClick but I didn't realize until I created one for myself that SoundClick also offers an MP3 store where strangers can buy your songs. I haven't uploaded my first song yet and I'm wondering whether entire songs or 30-second clips should be uploaded. The pages I saw mostly had entire songs. If you upload an entire song to your artist page can't anyone download that song without paying? How does SoundClick normally operate in terms of uploading original songs for sale? Has anyone here had any significant success selling songs as an unsigned artist there or on some other website?

Steve

10 Replies Related Threads

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/21 18:11:02 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,

When you go with the free option as I have I believe you can ony upload only whole the whole song. They offer some sort of package for $9.95 a month probably with the things your looking for. It walks you through it anyway. Believe me, like everything else they let you know where you can spend your money. All new to me so i don't know about the success stories.

rhyno
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/21 18:17:30 (permalink)
    Steve - I have a paid SC account. The only reason I do that is so I can upload and have played at a higher mp3 bit-rate. I do have the option to sell my music via downloads if I so choose, and it's just a matter of walking thru a couple of check boxes to do so.... I personally don't know of anyone on this forum who has made any significant amount of money by doing this tho.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/21 20:10:47 (permalink)
    Sgaines44.... You can opt to have the songs as streaming only...people can listen but not download. Or you can allow downloads. You can even set up licensing of your songs if someone wants to record it commercially, they can pay a licensing fee.....that still means you own the copyright and you still collect royalties. Licensing is just giving them the right to record the song "legally" on a CD they are making. Royalties will come IF it is a success and sells to thousands of people.

I would not be to overly concerned about letting someone download a few dozen songs ..... It's totally up to you what you allow to be done, it's your SC site.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/21 22:20:25 (permalink)
    Steve, I don't approach music as a career, I'm long past that (unless I get a lucrative offer from out of nowhere!). I just play/write/record for fun. Consequently, I let anyone who desires to download any of my songs they want. I figure otherwise no one will ever hear them!

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/22 12:03:24 (permalink)
    www.garageband.com offers you a free page with high quality bitrates. as long as the song is under 10mb, you can make it a 320kbs mp3. review other peoples songs and then you can have yours reviewed. very fair. if you write a review for i think 30 songs, you get yours in the review process and will have at least 20 people review it and leave detailed comments, plus a chance to go up in the ranks, many unsigned bands have gotten signed from this site, because you never know what song you are going to review.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/EnemyofEarth
    post edited by insecure420 - 2008/05/22 12:24:04

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    sgaines44
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/22 12:12:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mcourter

Steve, I don't approach music as a career, I'm long past that (unless I get a lucrative offer from out of nowhere!). I just play/write/record for fun. Consequently, I let anyone who desires to download any of my songs they want. I figure otherwise no one will ever hear them!

I understand that music may never turn into a career for me (particularly at my age, 51) and I'm content to enjoy it as a hobby. I believe if nothing else it helps to keep our minds strong and ward off senility. However, the MP3 Store idea interested me and I've seen many reports about people who start second careers on the Internet and some who get rich doing so. Since it won't cost me anything to try (beyond what I've already spent on this hobby) I'm willing to give it a try.

After getting feedback from the SoundClick forum (and from GuitarHacker) I believe I now have the the answer to how their MP3 store operates. Apparently you can set whether your MP3s can be downloaded or just streamed. You can also set a limit of 2 minutes played in the store. So hopefully the users don't know how to copy from a stream if you are seriously trying to sell the songs. I have software which will copy from streams, but I don't use it for that. I buy my songs online for about $1 each and since I don't buy very many it doesn't impact my budget, and it helps to keep the songwriting and music recording business alive.

Steve
    post edited by sgaines44 - 2008/05/22 12:34:15
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/22 14:52:08 (permalink)
    I'm planning to start selling .wav files via share-it.com when that gets interesting, and give away the (demo) mp3's. The wavs will be of much better quality than any mp3 can ever hope to be, and can be in surround, ready to burn to CD/DVD.
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2008/05/22 15:12:29

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    sgaines44
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/22 14:59:45 (permalink)
    It's true that WAV files are better quality, but MP3 is good enough for my ears. I convert the songs I want to listen to in my car or at work to MP3 and I can put about 200 of them on a single CD and groove to that for weeks. So if you really want to encourage sales you might want to consider a different strategy. Or maybe you've got a good plan. I don't know.

Steve
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/22 15:05:19 (permalink)
    I'm not the only one, TBH:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/03/72847

Lossless FLAC is also an option, but if the music is very complicated the compression is less efficient, and it's another technology you need to introduce on both ends. Wav is ubiquitous, and to download only a problem in remote places these days.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: How Does SoundClick Operate? 2008/05/22 22:55:29 (permalink)
    "Like Butta"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1