"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!)

Author
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
2010/08/14 17:56:39 (permalink)

"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!)

I was actually able to talk my daughter (who just turned 15) into the studio to record some vocals. She just had a dance routine to this song and I figured that was a good way to talk her into it. I could have done a better job tracking the vocals and hope to get her to re-record them, but I’m not holding my breath because she starts school on Wednesday (Sophomore – eek!!). She had a party to go to that night so I was only able to steal about 45 minutes of her time so it was a rush job.
Here’s the link – it’s “How He Loves” by the David Crowder Band

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9526101

If you’re familiar with the original, you’ll be able to tell we took a lot of liberties.
Any comments and feedback appreciated!!
post edited by dlogan - 2010/08/14 19:36:42

29 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/14 18:55:54 (permalink)
    For some reason, the link isn't working, but I found it on your SC link. 

Wow--I'd listen to this over the original ANY DAY!!!  (David C. isn't my favorite singer by a long shot.)  Anyway, your daughter has a great voice.  I hope she keeps singing.  It doesn't sound like a rush job to me. 

I like it all. Great job, you two!  :-) 
    dlogan
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/14 19:39:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Janet!! I've got the link fixed.

Yeah I hated this song when I would hear it on K-Love, then our band played it a couple of times and I realized the main thing I didn't like about it was his voice. But I also didn't like the arrangement much, so I changed it!! :)  

But David Crowder is one crazy looking guy, ain't he???
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/14 19:41:32 (permalink)
    My sentiments exactly.  And you greatly improved this in many ways. 

No comment about the last question.  lol
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/14 21:29:51 (permalink)
    OMG! What is this angel voice from heaven?

Her voice is a good fit for this song. Soft and pensive, not boisterous and belting.

If she's this good at 15, just think what she'll do in a couple of years with more experience behind her.

I went to YouTube to hear the David Crowder Band perform this.

I liked your addition of the piano close to the opening. Er...that was a piano, wasn't it?  I'm listening through blown speakers.  

And the way you arpeggiate the guitar chords is nice.  That 6/8 arpeggiation is timeless. Every decade uses it, so it will never be dated. I noticed the David Crowder Band didn't do this.  It was barely perceptible to me that they were even in 6/8 time. They just didn't play it up like y'all do. It sounds good.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/14 22:18:15 (permalink)
    I liked it. I think it's cool that you have a buddy right at home to play with.
    My beagle comes into the studio room from time to time, but doesn't contribute much except some percussion/ scratch,scratch.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/14 22:55:58 (permalink)
    David Crowder is the wierd Al of CCM.... this is beautful.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 00:08:02 (permalink)
    Dave

I do hope you can get a few takes on her voice.

She does great for 15! Maybe a little work on diction but she sounds great.

Most of my students are 15-17 so I know how difficult it can be to get them to talk to us old people.

Bver heard the original, but like this one.

Nice work

Ron
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 01:37:14 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

I'm not familiar with the original, (or am I?) but this is all well found.

A nice sturdy arrangement, and a delightful performance from the songstress there.

Lovely.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 02:24:03 (permalink)
    Hi, the mix is good and nice vocals especially for her age. I have always loved this song including this version. Good guitar playing. Blessings.
    PS Please please change your avatarRather happy and sad at the same time! 
    post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2010/08/15 02:25:05
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 09:10:34 (permalink)
    Hey, Dave!  this isn't fair, I can't tell you that you need to replace the vocalist!!! LOL!  I can't tell you that because she's really great on this! 

I've always liked this song, but you and your daughter have really brought this up a notch!  she's not perfect, but at 15 - wow!  keep encouraging her because she really can do well with some experience!

on a little note, I noticed a little distortion on the vox - how did you record them?  what was your signal path? 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 13:38:23 (permalink)
    wonderful  + + + 1
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 13:43:26 (permalink)
    Did you do all the instrumentatation on this Dave? If so..nice playing and some good dynamics too. Piano, acoustic and lead guitar were noted!!

Your daughter has a very nice voice and this was performed well. I think some articulation (not volume) on the vox is in order as it was a bit tough for me to understand the wording. I know I'm 'old scholl' with that thought, so just my humble 2 drachma....

Larry
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/15 13:49:13 (permalink)
    Never heard the original and don't even know who DC is, so can't comment in comparative terms. Her vox sounds really nice, but is a little lost in the mix to my ears and I'd be inclined to bring her forward some more. Good though. Insts all sound good to me.Nice work
    dlogan
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 09:16:05 (permalink)
    Peggysuechan - thanks!! Yeah I thought her voice was a good fit for this, too. I really wanted to emphasis the 6/8 timing because I thought it added to the feel. I appreciate your comments!
    Thatsastrat - well maybe you need to get him to howl on some tunes! Actually my daughter loves to sing along while I'm playing the acoustic, but getting her to record only happens a couple times a year. I wish it was more often, but you know teenagers and their schedules!

Thanks, Herb, Ron & Jon!!
    Karalie - I appreciate your listening! But c'mon, I love my avatar! It's my slightly odd way of reminding myself that you can be happy no matter what your situation!!

Reece - yeah you wouldn't be mean to a kid, would you?? You know I'm not sure if it's distortion or what. My signal chain was just my Blue Blueberry mic into my Presonus Eureka preamp into my interface. But I don't think she had a good headphone mix and was standing too far off the mic, so I got a pretty weak signal. I think boosting the track just raised the noise floor too much and plus the A/C was running. Bottom line, it was a rush job and I hope I can redo it.

Thanks BIABDude!!

Larry - yep that's me on all the instruments. Thanks for listening buddy!!

Paulo - thank you sir. I agree with you - it worked well on the first verse where it's kinda of breathy but when it kicks up a bit I think I need a different song that's a little more direct so it doesn't get lost. Thanks for your ears!!
    Beagle
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 09:25:10 (permalink)
    dave - don't take too much from my comments about distortion, I know I'm having problems with the inputs of my soundcard, but didn't think I was having problems with the output - but who knows?

cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 09:35:51 (permalink)
    i'm unconvinced by the elcetric guitar tone, I think the piano encroaches on the vocals a little in the frequency spectrum.

I'm not sure the mic or the way you've mixed the vocals do them justice, although having said that, you can tell its a rush job. She has a tendancy to be a little nasal and lacks conviction in places. Its hard when its a cover of a singer songwriter because you feel they've took great pain in writing every word and it means something deep and intimate to them and it takes great work to reproduce that power of a vocalist who deeply believes everything they've written and put it into someone else. I think that's what sticks out to me. Also one or two tuning issues vocallay, but that's often an issue with a nasal delivery making things sound flat in my experience.

Overall, i quite liked it (even though all my comments appear negative i often overlook the positive as people have either already picked up on that or you already know about it, but i often feel i can offer constructive criticism, so i do).

There seems to be a lot of christian songs on here, I am wondering if Sonar is the DAW for Christians.

Good track it was nice listening and i hope you get your daughter in the studio for a decent ammount of time in the near future, that would be really nice to hear the result of a good studio session with her, she has potential definatly. (i couldn't dream of singing that well anyway).

Cheers,
    Chris.
    dlogan
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 10:17:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Chris. I agree with you on the vox. Aside from my recording issues, my daughter is still trying to find her own style. One day she's trying to sing like Taylor Swift and the next day it's Ke$ha!

Guitar-wise, I'm happy with the arpeggiated clean tone but not overly thrilled with the distorted rhythm or lead tones.

Oh yeah, and Sonar has 20% more Christian users than ProTools.
    post edited by dlogan - 2010/08/16 10:19:15
    cho_drummer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 10:36:57 (permalink)
    Well our church album is being produced in a PT studio...shame on us!
    Beagle
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 10:48:53 (permalink)
    cho_drummer

Well our church album is being produced in a PT studio...shame on us!

SACRILEGE!!!!

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 14:04:57 (permalink)
    I can't compare this to this original, as I am not familiar with the original; however, this one sounds excellent to me.  The playing is terrific and your 15 year old daughter sounds great!

Freddy J
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/16 22:37:53 (permalink)
    This is excellent... Great job for a 15 yr old... I love the sound of the guitars... Well done...
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/18 11:21:08 (permalink)
    Hi Dave.  Performances are very good.  Seems to me like the vocals could come up a bit more.  Your daughter has a good start if she chooses to continue with her singing - and I hope she does.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    dlogan
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/18 14:33:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Freddy, Frank & Mark!! I appreciate the great feedback from such talented folks!

Got some more mixing to do for my friend's bluegrass CD then I'm looking forward to getting back to working on a new original tune...

Dave

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/18 19:48:20 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

I'm not familiar with the original but I think this sounds great.

The mix sounds good on my cheesy headphones and, of course, your daughter
    sounds like an angel.

Mostly I think it's fantastic that you and your daughter were able to spend the
    time together recording this when most 15 year olds won't talk to their parents

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/19 12:02:02 (permalink)
    Very nice!!  She sounds somewhat like my Granddaughter who at the age of 12 decided to STOP singing much to my dismay.  She is one of the most naturally gifted vocalists I have come across and she won't sing.  I'd be totally torqued except she is a phenomenally gifted artist too.  I am very happy for you that your singer is using that talent.  It comes from her Daddy, at least.  I hope she continues to sing. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/19 13:25:35 (permalink)
    Dave,
    I have a 6 yr old daughter that I drag into the studio every now and then.  The last time I recorded her she really "listened" to herself and was very disappointed at what she heard.  She's quite the perfectonist.  I applaude you for spending time with your daughter this way.  It's an awesome feeling being able to record your children.

I agree with most of the comments.  Your daughter has great potential.  My only suggestion is to try a different mic or if you have EQ'ed the vox I'd try something different.  I'm listening on PC speakers so take this with a grain of salt.  The vox sounds a little harsh, which is most likely the mic.  Just my 2¢.

Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    dlogan
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/19 13:45:23 (permalink)
    GR, Warren & Rich - thanks so much! Yes, when I get my daughter down in the studio it's definitely more about the experience than it is the end result. That's probably why I didn't put the attention to detail in that I normally would on recording vocals - I didn't want to make it an unenjoyable experience by worrying too much about the technical aspects. Not only does that make it more likely that she will want to record more, it helps me get practice at getting it right the first time (obviously something I need to work on a bit). I do feel fortunate to have those opportunities with her because there are only so many things where a 38-year-old guy can relate and connect with his 15-year-old daughter, so I'm glad we have our love for music in common!
    amateur
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 451
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/19 17:24:22 (permalink)
    She has a lovely voice, and it really fits this song.   More!
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"How He Loves" (collab with my daughter on vocals!) 2010/08/19 21:53:00 (permalink)
    Very nice.

I know what honor it is to record or peform with a daughter.  I've played concert halls and nightclubs, TV, opened for some very big acts, I've played with some great musicians.  But nothing was ever a bigger thrill for me than performing with my daughter.

My recordings of my daughter singing are my favorites.

Be proud dad, it doesn't get any better!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1