Helpful ReplyHow.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ?

Author
Soundblend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
2015/02/02 18:25:58 (permalink)

How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ?

There's many videos about gain-staging, and different ways how to.

Question is , how do you set the proper gain in the DAW, before mixing. ?

EDIT: Video deleted
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/02/08 09:19:33
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 19:04:32 (permalink)
Generally:

Record your tracks @ -12db or lower
Be sure a bus doesn't go over -6db
Be sure master bus doesn't go over -3db

Depending on how many tracks go into a bus you may want drop gain or output volume to achieve -6db
Depending on how many buses go into the master bus  you may want drop gain or output volume on buses to achieve -3db at the Master

Then you're ready for some non-pro mastering. Light limiting, eq and compression.

If you're going to go for a real mastering engineer, then adjust everything down by -3db.

Again, this is a general approach.

Others may disagree.

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 19:40:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robert_e_bone 2015/02/02 22:49:41
To directly answer the question in your video:

Think about the whole path of the audio. Your audio comes in, and the gain knob is the first thing it hits.

So your gain level defines how hard it will hit eveything else.

The fader is the last thing it hits. So it's just a volume control at the end of each channel.

It's sensible to adjust your gain knobs so that nothing is coming in much above 10dB on average. That'll mean you're not overloading anything they hit after coming in.

So yeah, short version is, input gain is the place to avoid INPUT clipping. What happens between there and the fader is a complicated business.

But the ONLY thing faders can prevent is clipping into the master bus. If you're worried about gain staging, you need to control levels WAY before the fader.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 19:48:50 (permalink)
use the 50 watt Marshall instead of the 100 watt?
Seriously, John T has your answer in my opinion.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 22:00:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John T 2015/02/02 22:29:34
I'll sit down and write out a complete description, but I want to point out that while the rule of thumb described above will probably keep you out of trouble in terms of clipping, it won't provide the best possible result.

The trick is to optimize the gain structure of each segment of the audio chain. So tracks and busses are not treated differently, and the two-mix is no different than any sub-mix.

With a digital audio system we need to pay more attention to clipping than noise, with an analog system the opposite was true. That seems to remain a stumbling block.

The first step is to determine how much headroom you want - that is, how louder than "average" do you want the peaks to be? Now if you want to get really fancy you can factor in "Crest Factor", but we will skip that for now.

So we know that live music has a peak to average ratio of between 12 and 18 dB, not all that big when you think about it, but there you go. So if you want to do no compression or limiting you need to record so that your average level is around -12 dBFS to -18 dBFS, so that your peaks will never exceed 0 dBFS. (we are also going to skip over the part where it might be ok to exceed 0 DBFS some times.)

But we want to apply this rule to EVERY stage. Individual tracks ought to run at the same levels as sub-mixes or effects busses. The trick is to attenuate the output of the tracks on their way to the busses so that the levels remain consistent.

Sadly - maybe - it is not simple math. You don't get to just drop each of two tracks 3 dB to keep them at a reasonable operating level when they are summed... you can usually get away with a LOT less attenuation in fact.

So instead of a rule of thumb that treats tracks differently than busses think in terms of maintaining your reasonable level everywhere.

Does that help?

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
teego
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 518
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 22:30:30 (permalink)
In your video I think you were asking if we use the gain control or track volume fader for gain staging to the busses. If you look at the signal flow chart for Sonar you will see that the gain control is the first in line as someone else mentioned and it then goes through pro channel and effects bin and on to volume fader. So let's say you have a track recorded at -3 db and you want to bring it down to the -12 range, if you reduce the volume fader it lowers it to the bus but it is still going into PC and effects bin at -3 db. This leaves no headroom in effects and PC unless you reduce the gain control. So I would say you would need to use both to maintain your reasonable levels throughout the signal path as stated above.

Computer: Intel core2 quad q8400 @2.66ghz, 4 gb memory,64 bit Windows 7 Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Sonar Platinum Ipswich and Update 1

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 22:32:10 (permalink)
Good post from Bill there. And he's right to say that what I've said is no more than a rule of thumb. This is a fairly nuanced business, and gain staging is something to consider every time one module (whether hardware or software) passes a signal to another module. And also something to consider in aggregation.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/02 23:12:02 (permalink)
And what is the best part of the signal to measure and display.  The rms part and what better thing to do it with, a VU meter.  Choose a ref so -20 dB equals 0 dB VU.  Real VU's are nice if you can get your hands on some.  Very easy to switch to any part of your signal chain.

Keep tracks and busses and final mix all sitting at desired ref levels.  Tracking has never been easier. Use a VU meter to set your level.  Unheard of.  Never have to worry about transient peaks again.  You will never clip anywhere in a mix and have tons of headrom, it sounds nice especially up loud.

Have three ref levels to chosse from even better. -20, -14 and -12.  Very thougtful.  Calibratre ref level in your DAW to SPL level in your room.  Very handy.

Last but not least learn to read how the VU meter moves to the music and let it give you even more information about that part of your signal flow you are monitoring.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Soundblend
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/03 04:32:20 (permalink)
teego
In your video I think you were asking if we use the gain control or track volume fader for gain staging to the busses. If you look at the signal flow chart for Sonar you will see that the gain control is the first in line as someone else mentioned and it then goes through pro channel and effects bin and on to volume fader. So let's say you have a track recorded at -3 db and you want to bring it down to the -12 range, if you reduce the volume fader it lowers it to the bus but it is still going into PC and effects bin at -3 db. This leaves no headroom in effects and PC unless you reduce the gain control. So I would say you would need to use both to maintain your reasonable levels throughout the signal path as stated above.

That is correct, and i think i will agree to use Gain first then the Fader's after.
I have never used the Gain knobs before, and start to see the importance
due to the FX's input's etc, so they not running to HOT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as i understand it, i should use the GAIN knobs to decrease volume down to
the -12db ( peak ) on tracks. ( some say -10db ) to have proper gain into the EQ's / FX's and so forth.

And i understand the more track's i have, the higher the summed audio is
to the "Sub BUSS's" and finally the Master, ( then less volume is needed on ea track.)

bapu
Generally:

Record your tracks @ -12db or lower
Be sure a bus doesn't go over -6db
Be sure master bus doesn't go over -3db

This seems quite simple to follow   ( i shortened it down a bit. )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point is not who has the formula, cause there's not a " correct " one
rather than a " coarse " guidance how to...

So then :

* Record at low level -10db / -12db peak for audio track(s), and if using a soft synth decrease level with Gain
* Use Gain knob to set level.
* Route ea track to it's Sub Bus
* Adjust faders, ( mix ) all instruments to a proper level according to each other
* pan tracks
* Insert EQ / compressors and so forth... ( adjust and maintain same level ) with FX's engaged.
* Adjust Bus's volume faders
* Insert EQ / Compressor and limiter on the Master ( adjust to desired Effect )
* Mixdown
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/02/03 05:04:57
wst3
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/03 07:51:56 (permalink)
Soundblend
The point is not who has the formula, cause there's not a " correct " one
rather than a " coarse " guidance how to...

Could not agree more!!!

But of course there are nits to be picked, and the devil is in the details, etc...

Soundblend* Record at low level -10db / -12db peak for audio track(s), and if using a soft synth decrease level with Gain

This is where I think folks start to get into trouble. And most folks who start to get into trouble have never recorded to tape, so I'm not really sure why this is so confusing.

The short version is this - forget analog, most folks have at most one analog gain stage in front of their computer, and I've worked on projects where no analog gear was harmed... I mean used.

In the digital domain the concern is "overs" - that is, samples for which we can not accurately represent their amplitude. 0 dBFS is the maximum value that can be represented.

But just as we can hear, and distinguish signals in the noise floor (that's how dithering works), we can also survive very short periods of overs.

So, the concern is not about the average level (that's so analog<G>), but rather that we minimize digital clipping. To do that we need to think about the difference between the average and peak values that we are recording, or that we want to represent.

-12 dBFS or -18 dBFS should be used in an analagous manner to good old 0 VU. The thing to keep in mind is that  dBFS is ALWAYS a peak measurement (that's just how digital works), and 0VU is always an average response.

Hope this starts to part the clouds...

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jeff Evans
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/03 13:56:09 (permalink)
I believe it is important to maintain constant rms levels. But of course still use your peak measurement metering at the same time. 

If the main concern is to avoid clipping then one great way to do it is to maintain a constant rms level eg -20 dB FS. Keep all the rms levels on tracks, buses and the final mix the same eg -20 dB rms = 0 dB VU.  If you do this you are directly transferring a metering concept from analog to digital and it still works the same.  Peaks take care of themselves and you can get on with other things.  The rms to peak ratio varies all over the place but I say ignore it and let the built in headroom handle it.

If you start seeing clipping lights on then often it is a simple matter to reduce the rms level slightly.  Treat it with a limiter somewhere and bring the transient back under 20 dB. If you do see a clip light even with the rms metering approach it will usually be so short lived you won’t hear it either.  (Sometimes it can sound good or better)

Your peak metering comes in handy and in conjunction with rms metering you have got it all covered.  Keeping rms levels consistent throughout every part of the signal chain makes for very easy production. You have tracked everything perfectly so you always have the right amounts of available level for the mix stages. Your buss mixes are all sitting at the same rms level as well as your final mix.  Every mix will be the same volume too before any mastering begins. 

rms levels tie in perfectly with loudness measurements and dynamic range measurements. Peak levels are related to the rms parts they are attached to. They are important. They add the snap to the sound and give us the all important dynamics.  Peak metering is fast and it lets us see how high those transient peaks really are.

Pick an rms level and put everything you do rms wise right there at that level.  Link you room SPL level to that level as well.  Drop everything you do down and you will naturally move away from 0 dB FS.  Turn the level of your monitoring up and hear how perfect everything can sound.  All because you are keeping an eye now on both components of the signal.  rms and peak.  And now keeping the rms component at a ref level like we used to.  I see it as the rms component representing the body of the signal.  The peak reading the transient component of the signal.

Nothing has changed much even in our digital recording world.  All the source signals are the same, mics on drums, guitars, vocals percussion you name it.  Synths (hardware) are all analog outputs mostly.  There is so much analog that still exists well prior to the digital recording medium.  So it pays to keep an analog metering concept alive to meter that and why not continue to meter that way right through the digital medium and out the other end.  It works for me and sounds great.  Digital sounds great when you operate it this way too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
teego
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 518
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/03 23:17:05 (permalink)
I should point out that if you record at the -12 to -18 db levels with no overages as suggested you really will not need to do anything with the gain control because you will not have to attenuate the recorded material, its already where you need it to be. You can then use your effects output controls  to maintain the proper levels throughout the PC and effects. I should also point out I am in no way an expert, this is just how I try to do it.

Computer: Intel core2 quad q8400 @2.66ghz, 4 gb memory,64 bit Windows 7 Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Sonar Platinum Ipswich and Update 1

Jeff Evans
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/04 13:46:52 (permalink)
It all starts with tracking and the good thing about thinking ref level concepts is you start by tracking there. Most incoming signals will make a VU meter move well (and the ones that don't require more use of the peak metering) so set it right with tracking.  Get that VU just hitting 0 dB VU nicely and you know you are tracking the input signal exactly at the rms ref level. Many virtual instruments have wildly swinging output levels.  Metering the correct rms ref level leaving them always ensures bounces will be at the perfect level too.  And you will always have the perfect amount available for any mix.

Peak levels will always vary in relation to rms levels. Some peaks might only be 6 dB above the rms component, others might be 12 dB above the rms component.  Keeping the rms component consistent means no gain adjustments will ever be required prior to a mix either.

If you have a plug in effect make sure the rms level is correct just prior. VU meter plugins can be inserted anywhere. There is always some place you can set gain prior to the point of interest.  If you have a plug in chain ensure the rms level is right just prior to it.

The signals leaving a plug-in/chain should be at the same rms level as going in.  Levels leaving can always be tweaked by the output level control of the plugin or the last plugin in the chain.  If you work at a modest rms ref level such as -14 or -20 you will never clip any plugin either going in, internally or coming out.  You immediately get the best performance from them.  Some plugs benefit from higher than normal rms levels going in or during but it is always easy to reset that on output.

Soundblend
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/05 05:09:31 (permalink)
Is there a way to Set the track meters in Sonar to ( Pre ) before the fader.
like in a real analog mixing desk, where you have the gain knob and a red led to watch
the Gain input ( clipping led )

Wont help to set " gain "  if the indicator... that is the meters, are affected by the fader level

We need a Pre / post, fader level switch in the Mixer panel below the meter
with a color change in the meter to dark red when in pre mode !

or have i missed something here.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit found this in console view : options \ meters \ record meter options ......  but there's no post / Pre option
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/02/08 09:20:08
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/05 11:20:15 (permalink)
When you're recording, the wave displays in the track.  This is a direct representation of the stream of numbers being output by your interface.  If your interface "peaks out", ie, the input voltage goes over the top limit for the A/D and produces a stream of numbers at max value, this is highlighted in the waveform display.  The only cure is to turn down the input gain on your interface and record again.
The pre/post meter switches on an old analogue desk are so you can measure the level that's going to aux busses that are set to pre.  The signal level going to tape is post fader, the fader being used to set the record level.

Edit:  Actually, no.  That is a use,  but a meter set to pre is mostly so you get a constant view of what is happening on the track, even if the fader is pulled right down or the track is muted.   Regardless, it's nothing to do with recording levels or even gain staging.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/05 13:39:36 (permalink)
There's so much conflicting information out on the web and You Tube, and I think alot of it has to do with the fact that Sonar is one of the few DAWs to actually have a gain control permanently on the mixing view.  Almost every other DAW out there requires a trim plugin in the FX chain.  There are a ton of videos out there showing people how to do gain staging with the faders, which as many of you have already pointed out is completely the opposite of the signal path.

I see a few folks with Cubase and Studio One use clip gain to set the gain control (I think PT recently introduced this as well), but to me that's much more tedious than just using a gain plugin or as Sonar has so smartly laid out a gain knob, because that's what you'd have on an actual mixing desk!

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/05 14:11:04 (permalink)
+1 to Sonar having a clearly visible gain knob on every track. I miss this so much when working in Logic.  Logic's meters also leave a lot to be desireD when it comes to gain staging.
Jeff Evans
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/05 15:20:28 (permalink)
Most meters on most DAW's are useless at showing you rms levels as well.  Sonar is one of the worst as it shows the rms level being 3 db down from where it actually is.  Also seeing some rms value way down low on a meter scale is also not helpful either.

When you are at your ref level (digitally that is) the VU meter needs to read 0 dB VU or close to full scale deflection.  Studio One has a mode where the buss meters can be put into this mode at anytime at the K system ref levels.

You don't need any gain trim controls at all if you track correctly using a VU meter.  All your tracks will simply be at the correct rms level before you go any further.

Clip gain in PT and Studio One is not really a gain trim control either.  If you track correctly you won’t need to adjust that but it is nice and handy for trimming sections here and there.  Also because the waveform height does change (and this is the right way BTW, the only way)  it is easy to match things by eye and get very close.

Studio One also allows you to meter the incoming signal just as it arrives at the sequencer before it even goes into a track.  You can open the inputs and insert any meter plug on there.  I thought I would not use it much but it is a very cool feature.  Don't think many other DAW's do it either.

The Klanghelm VU meter is one of the best and it is very cheap too.  You can use mono and stereo meters wherever you want.  You can change the ref level and the ballistics too.  AND right on the front directly under the meter is a nice built in trim control which allows +/- 20 dB of gain adjustment.  That is the place to  do it and the meter reflects the changes instantly.  It is actually faster than any channel trim control.

http://klanghelm.com/VUMT.php

Confusion reigns because many don't seem concerned or interested in rms and VU levels, everyone seems concerned with peak metering which actually does not tell you much at all.  Correct gain staging is near impossible with peak metering alone.

It's easy to meter incoming tracking levels. Calibrate your system at the chosen ref level eg -20. Calibrate any VU meter to the same ref level.  Playback alignment tones or set up signal generators accurately.  In track record arm and insert a VU meter plugin first in the FX bin. Monitor the incoming signal and have the track fader, buss and main faders at unity gain. Adjust your input preamp gain for 0 dB VU most of the time.  Very easy and straight forward. The meter will pin at +3 dB but there is 20 dB of headroom there should things take a sudden twist.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2015/02/05 19:42:13

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/07 01:12:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundblend 2015/02/08 09:37:01
I don't mess with the gain unless I get stuff from a client that has a super low signal level. I see clip lights hit on plugs all the time yet I never actually HEAR anything clipping or sounding bad. I record all my stuff between -10 and my peaks at no hotter than -6dB. No one probably agrees with this and that's fine...but it works for me, I have plenty of signal and can always back things down if I need to. I've always recorded at that level and have never had a problem. I have done projects with complete gain staging and to be honest, I don't hear or notice any differences. But that's just me. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Soundblend
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/08 09:35:48 (permalink)
I'v also never actually used the gain, before (always been at 0 )
I never had any real problems that would force me to use it.

It is also easy to " forget " that you have changed the gain, will not always notice it

I asked, because if there's a " common " way producers using gain as RULE in the audio world.

i guess as long the record of the track it is not peaking there's no need for gain usage !
other than if it going into the insert effect too HOT, then i can drop the gain to a suitable
level if needed !

I have never yet heard any FX...distort in my DAW, more or less regardless of
what the input volume was.
wst3
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/08 11:14:33 (permalink)
The gain/trim control is a tool, you don't have to use it every time, but you should learn what it does for those times when you do need it.

Almost all my outboard gear has sufficient headroom and adequate controls such that I hit the input with a good healthy, manageable level. So I don't need it for live inputs very often. When I do, well, it's a lifesaver.

And almost all my libraries and virtual instruments are recorded such that the level going to the track input is just right, although as I think about it, I do end up tweaking the outputs on the VIs. But that's the right place to make that adjustment most of the time.

Keep in mind that the reason gain-staging is/was critical was we needed to optimize the signal level for least noise and least distortion when we were working with tape and analog stages. We don't need that - as frequently - inside a DAW.

What we do need to do is pick a reference level that provides adequate headroom, that alone will address the noise problem, and by definition the distortion problem.

It really is that simple... well, that's not entirely accurate. But once you get accustomed to working that way it does become pretty darned easy.

Good metering is probably more important during mixing - at least it is for me. And access to both RMS and peak reading meters is pretty important.

More important is learning what each meter is trying to tell you.

An analog VU style meter (which is very nearly an RMS responding meter) is never a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure I would not make another round trip through my converters just to use one.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jeff Evans
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/08 14:32:07 (permalink)
I think there are some very useable meter VST's out there too.  You don't have to give up a pair of outputs to drive one usually.  A spare headphone out or pair of RCA's for recording the main stereo buss is another.  My hardware VU's monitor the output of the digital mixer eg the main stereo buss all the time.  Which effectively means you can meter anywhere in your signal chain. 

VST meters give you lots of options in terms of where you can insert them.

PSP have just released a nice suite of three meters. Peak, VU and RMS. They are all quite different and show different things. The ballistics of the VU is very close to the real one.  Then there is the Klanghelm meter which is very good in terms of ballistics too.  Trim is easy on the Klanghelm meter.  The PSP meter has trim of course but extra processing options and includes a very handy HPF and LPF with variable slopes as an addition.  PSP give you a lot of adjustment over how the meter responds and moves too which is always good.

I tend to treat the DAW meters as the standard ones. Some give you more in the metering than others.  Like bundled plugins it can be nice to go out and get some higher quality and more specialised ones.  Same as metering.  Except the metering plugs should come first.  They can be more important.

TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/11 06:55:45 (permalink)
This is one of the most useful threads for me personally ( at least top 10)...I love it.

I use this forum and all of the great contributor's helpful information on almost a monthly basis and am so thankful for it's rich and useful content. I read it everyday, but am able to use it less often...work, family etc. It's a hobby for me.

But, I really am thankful for this thread...I was doing it all wrong...LOL.

Thanks again.

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

denverdrummer
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/11 12:41:54 (permalink)
Jeff, I get what you are saying, but I've never used a VU meter in the digital world.  All my interfaces show output in full scale, and Sonar shows output in full scale.  I never thought of using a VU plugin, because I just shoot for -18dbfs on the metering, and making sure the peaks don't get above -10dbfs.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the metering is Sonar is -3db down from reality.  You mean -3dbfs, or -3dbvu?  Every DAW is different on the full scale rendering, so to me you just have to learn with whichever DAW you are working with.

That's why I find the gain knobs useful.  Usually I'm working with stuff people have given to me and assuming they've recorded it without clipping I can just use the trim control to set it where it falls in norm.  Now this is obviously a problem if they've recorded too quiet and there's alot of signal noise, and that stuff you have to either do the best you can with it, or have it redone.

Also FWIW, I always have my meters set in Sonar to Peak + RMS.

post edited by denverdrummer - 2015/02/11 12:47:55

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
Jeff Evans
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/11 13:36:24 (permalink)
For drums, as they are generally very fast signals the VU needs 300 mS to make its way up to 0 dB VU.  So the VU meter may not even move much with drum recording.

It does depend on how open the drums are though.  If they are allowed to ring out a little (including the kick drum) the VU will show the rms level rather nicely.  By the time you send all the drums to their buss then a VU over the whole buss actually looks good with drums but keep peak metering on all the way along for sure.  I can get drums to hit -14 dB FS (my rms = 0 dB VU)  for the sustained part of the sound and the peaks might be as high as -3 dB FS.  Still no clipping.  But -20 is a better reference to work at if drums are going to be involved.  (I can also play very evenly and not produce randomly high transients. So I can go a little higher towards 0 db FS)

If I record a continuous test tone at say my -14 dB FS ref level then I make sure the tops (peaks) of all the sine waves are reaching -14 dB FS.  If you set your VU (extra VST plugin) ref to -14 then it will show 0 dB VU.  If you switch your built in DAW meters to read rms and peak in most DAW's both the peak and rms indicators will be the same. (-14)  In Sonar it shows the rms down 3 dB at -17 instead.  That is because Sonar is sort of correct and displaying rms as being down 3 dB on peak (of a sinewave that is) which is correct.  For continuous test tones the standard in the digital world is accepted as the ref level is the very tops of the sinewaves rather than the -3 dB point.   VU VST meters still read correctly in Sonar as they are calibrated to show the level as being the very tops of the sinewaves.  It is only their built in rms meters that are a little weird.  It's hard enough reading rms levels very low down on a scale without them being dropped another 3 dB.

When I mix stuff that others have recorded I go right through every track opened in an editor program and check the rms levels everywhere.  Usually they are way out of whack.  Some very low (adding gain to quite low recordings does not usually cause a problem) and others way too hot.  I adjust all that in the editor before importing into my DAW for mixing.  I find it makes a huge difference everywhere later on.

denverdrummer
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/11 14:37:35 (permalink)
Cool, thanks for the explanation.  Good information to know.  What editor are you using to check RMS on tracks before you import?

TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/02/16 06:42:22 (permalink)
For us less technically empowered and without some of the meters you speak too, how can I ensure a good tracking session.

My MOTU interface never gets into the Yellow LEDs, as I try to keep my signal good but not hot.

When I am tracking, can I trust the meters in Sonar to tell me I am good to go, if I look for a level of about -12 on the Sonar track meter, while I adjust the MOTU input?

TNX

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

btsabq
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/10/23 14:14:04 (permalink)
I have a question about proper gain staging.

Scenario:  I use AD2 for drums and output each track to a separate track.  Now in the tracks I set up the VU meter as the first inserted effect calibrated to -18dbFS = 0VU on all output tracks.

How does this relate to the individual tracks?  Meaning I can see having the kick drum and snare hitting around 0VU but do you also have things like the individual hi-hat track hitting 0VU and then using the track fader to reduce the volume to a proper level for the balance of the drums?  I have busses set up for kick + snare, overheads, room mics and a master drum buss that these all feed into that goes to the master buss.

The goal is to get the best level into analog modeled plugins which I read is around the 0VU level (-18dbFS) and when using this type of level I can hear what seems like a sweet spot. So with that in mind, after setting up the kick track VU meter and then applying compression and EQ, I should have the level after the plugin chain at the same 0VU level and then just adjust the level of the kick in relation to the snare by using the track faders and then adjust the kick + snare buss so that it has a 0VU level and then adjust the kick + snare buss fader to balance it to the overhead buss and room buss?  Then make sure that the master drum buss is at 0VU?

I don't typically have issues with levels being too hot...it seems as though I may be going the other way and having my levels too quiet.  Sometimes my master buss is very low.  So I want to get a handle on these specifics.

Thanks for your input.
-Brian.

* UAD-2, Slate Mix & Master Suite, MJUC, Disto, RC24, Valhalla, etc.
* MOTU 828MKII Black Lion Mod
* SPlat 64bit
* Benchmark DAC-1
* Mackie HR824

Jeff Evans
Re: How.... ! Proper gain staging in the DAW ? 2015/10/23 15:39:17 (permalink)
Hi Brian.  A lot of the stuff that I have mentioned re VU meters certainly applies to sounds that although they may have an attack transient the rest of the sound has a decent rms component which can be seen and monitored by a VU meter.

But with drums it is a different story for sure.  And the reason is the VU takes too long to reach 0 dB VU so many drum sounds will slip through a VU meter and barely even move it.  So it is not so helpful for these types of sounds.  So putting a VU meter over every individual drum sound may not be such a useful approach.  (see below though. If the drum sounds are way more open and longer tones then yes they are good but if the sounds are very fast and gone instantly eg hats then not so much)

When it comes to very fast attack transient sounds with little or no rms component such as drums I revert back to fast peak metering again and just use your built in DAW peak meters as before.  Simply adjust levels from either real drums or VST drum sounds so that the loudest points in the peaks reach up to a certain level but not clip into 0 dB FS obviously. eg I typically shoot for the loudest hits just reaching -6 dB FS. (or even lower eg -8)

Then what I do is send all my drum sounds into a buss and adjust the drum mix for the best mix there and you really only have your ears as well for that job too.  What is OK though is to put a VU over the drum buss and just look at the total rms VU levels of your final drum buss instead.  I find by the time you send all your drum sounds there and you put a VU meter over that there is enough overall total rms component in the whole drum sound to give you a decent reading.  But even so the VU may only average -3 dB or so which is fine.

It depends too on the drum sounds. Kicks and toms for example that are more open and have longer ringing notes will move a VU more so compared to real tight drum sounds.

I have always said it is a combination of VU metering and peak metering that will give you the best overall control over gain staging.  You need both.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1