How To Cure Latency Problems?

Author
sgaines44
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
2008/05/16 12:15:42 (permalink)

How To Cure Latency Problems?

I've gone back and re-read Robomusic's Startup Information For Beginners post and I've been searching the archives for other posts about latency. I still don't know for sure how to cure latency. I'm very confused about why this is such a problem.

About 20 years ago I bought a MIDI recording program from Cakewalk. Being 20 years ago my desktop computer was much less powerful; it might've been a pre-Pentium 386. But still, I never had latency problems and could monitor my previous tracks real-time while laying down new tracks. However, it was only MIDI; no audio tracks.

Now I've got MC 3 which adds Audio tracks alongside the MIDI. As soon as I try to monitor my audio tracks latency throws off the sound and I can't sync up my new work with my existing tracks. I've bought a new mid-level sound card (SB Audigy) and I've slid my sliders, but it still sounds awful. Why, with so much more power in my desktop PC is latency such a serious problem? MC3 gives you 100+ tracks, but don't try to monitor them.

I'll buy a mixer like the Behringer if that's the solution, but does that really solve the latency problem? I don't understand how. I think Robomusic has written that you can monitor existing tracks through the mixer. Is that correct? How does that work?

Do you turn off monitoring in MC3 and only monitor the sound from Behringer (the mixer)? By turning off monitoring in MC3 do the latency problems go away? How do you connect the Behringer to the inputs and outputs to both record through it and monitor through it simultaneously? Does that differ for audio and MIDI tracks? Are soft synth tracks the same as an audio track in this scenario? Does the Behringer ever get overwhelmed with too many tracks and start having latency problems?

Thanks

Steve

PS: Can someone tell me how to find the Windows GS synth in XP?

24 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 12:27:36 (permalink)
    The problem is in the sound card. low end (factory cards) and even the "mid level" cards are really not designed to do the processing necessary to handle the load MC or any other modern program puts on them. The latency comes from the card's inability to process the synth parts fast enough to get the sound out at the same time as the audio. You might be able to get the settings close enough to give a playback that's close enough to play in sync.... but it's really stretching the limits of the card to do it.
    The best solution is to buy a soundcard or interface that can handle the work load without latency...at least not where you can hear it and it affects your ability to record in sync.

You mentioned that you recorded 20 years ago...just midi. You might be able to record just midi w/o problems, but when you put audio in the mix.....that's when latency rears it's ugly head with the cheaper cards. Also, back a number of years ago, the cards & programs process the sounds a bit different than they do today. Even then...with my old rig, I can remember spending time on tech support with latency issues.

There are a few people here who can help with your current card, and might be able to get it working for you.
    The "CURE" is to upgrade to a "pro level" card/interface.... and latency will be a thing of the past for you.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/16 12:32:40

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 12:33:28 (permalink)
    the mixer won't resolve latency problems with MIDI being sent to softsynths, a mixer will give you 0 latency for monitoring audio recordings, but MIDI doesn't go thru the mixer.

I've bought a new mid-level sound card (SB Audigy) and I've slid my sliders, but it still sounds awful.

I wish you had come here and asked our opinions before spending money on the audigy. the sounblaster cards are not designed for recording and you'll likely not get good latency out of them. for low latency with midi you have to have a soundcard with drivers written designed for recording. check my website for recommendations on soundcards designed for recording.

I can give you some suggestions of things to try with the audigy, but they may or may not help. you can try moving the latency slider to the FAST side in OPTIONS>AUDIO>GENERAL. that will reduce your latency, but it very likely will start popping, clicking and possibly make your system dropout during recording and playback.

as far as the MS GS Wavetable, you can only access it if you're in MME driver mode. MME driver mode will give you the WORST possible latency. Besides that, the sounds in the MS GS Wavetable are the worst possible sounds you can use - the sounds in your Audigy should be a lot better than the MS GS Wavetable - so I'd use them instead. Also besides that, the synth sounds in the softsynth included with MC is better than the sounds included with the Audigy, so I'd further recommend learning to use softsynths instead anyway (do tutorial #8).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 12:48:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

the mixer won't resolve latency problems with MIDI being sent to softsynths, a mixer will give you 0 latency for monitoring audio recordings, but MIDI doesn't go thru the mixer.

I've bought a new mid-level sound card (SB Audigy) and I've slid my sliders, but it still sounds awful.

I wish you had come here and asked our opinions before spending money on the audigy. the sounblaster cards are not designed for recording and you'll likely not get good latency out of them. for low latency with midi you have to have a soundcard with drivers written designed for recording. check my website for recommendations on soundcards designed for recording.

I can give you some suggestions of things to try with the audigy, but they may or may not help. you can try moving the latency slider to the FAST side in OPTIONS>AUDIO>GENERAL. that will reduce your latency, but it very likely will start popping, clicking and possibly make your system dropout during recording and playback.

as far as the MS GS Wavetable, you can only access it if you're in MME driver mode. MME driver mode will give you the WORST possible latency. Besides that, the sounds in the MS GS Wavetable are the worst possible sounds you can use - the sounds in your Audigy should be a lot better than the MS GS Wavetable - so I'd use them instead. Also besides that, the synth sounds in the softsynth included with MC is better than the sounds included with the Audigy, so I'd further recommend learning to use softsynths instead anyway (do tutorial #8).

I might be able to trade in my Audigy for a better card - it's been less than 30 days since I bought it. Is the EMU 0404 what you would recommend? How many audio tracks do you think I can monitor with it at the same time without a noticeable delay? I see two versions of EMU 0404: USB ($200) and PCI ($80). Is the PCI version sufficient?

I want to kill latency once and for all so that I can think about creating music. Either that I'm going to spend my time playing tennis and video games. Debugging computer problems does not stir my inner muse.

Steve
    Beagle
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 12:57:51 (permalink)
    the emu-0404 is a good card. some people have trouble with its patchmix software, but we have a resident expert here who can help if necessary (RobertB). the difference between the PCI version and the USB version is that the USB version comes with preamps for your microphones and instruments and allows you to monitor directly from the sound card. think of it as a combination of a soundcard and a mixer (without the sliders). Either of those cards will reduce your latency to a reasonable level (usually >6msecs).

as far as how many tracks you can monitor without noticable delay, that will also depend on your CPU and RAM, but if they are meeting the minimum specs you should be able to monitor several at a time. it will also depend on how many softsynths you have running at the same time also. the more softsynths, the more you need CPU speed and higher RAM to keep the pops and clicks and dropout from occurring.

Guitarhacker
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 12:59:33 (permalink)
    If you have a desk top the PCI version should be a fine card to use....good price too. I do not use the 0404. I have the external interface Saffire. I had the 0404 in my desktop at one time. I can't say for sure cause I really never used it much.

Ask in another thread for advice from users of the 0404 card.....

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 14:32:15 (permalink)
    One thing to keep in mind during these discussion is that Latency as a general rule is all about Midi and Midi synths. It is a measure of the round trip time for a midi note to be sent from a host to a synthand back to a audio out source, i.e. sound card or the like. The reason you did not have heavy latency back then was that it was midi only either sent to a hardware synth, and in that case audio outputed there to an amp or speaker, or to an internal synth in windows. The problem arises when one tries to send midi to a softsynth and there is a lag without the proper and faster setup.

Audio latency is far different it is just a lag between the tim eit takes for the procesor to play the wave file or samples. They sound the same but come from different issues altogether, and therefore are solved with different remedies.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 14:37:14 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker (and Beagle)

I've been searching the archives and I found another post (by the Guitar Guru from 2004) which seems to be contradicting you. Like what I think I read from Robomusic he is saying that the latency problem can be solved by using a mixer. He wrote:

NOTE: Latency only deals with incoming signal. You will hear previous recordings fine, just not what you are currently recording.

However, it seems to me that I was hearing a delay in the previous recording. If the problem is only with the incoming signal then I could monitor the guitar or vocals I am recording from the mixer and hear the previous recording without delay from the sound card. However, I will check tonight when I get home. I think my delay was in the previous recording playback.

Will latency ever cause the recorded tracks (audio and MIDI) to get out of sync with each other? I'm guessing that's impossible, but I thought it sounded like that was happening at one time during playback. Also, it seemed like the tempo was slower in playback. Is that possible? If I recorded a song that lasted 3 minutes could it take 4 minutes to play back due to latency?

Steve
    post edited by sgaines44 - 2008/05/16 15:04:19
    Guitarhacker
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 14:52:15 (permalink)
    Just remember that these forums are not a perfect source of info. If you search, as you did, you will find contradictions all over the place on every subject.... wanna get opinions all over the board....post on mastering.

But to the point at hand....Robo is right when he says
    One thing to keep in mind during these discussion is that Latency as a general rule is all about Midi and Midi synths. It is a measure of the round trip time for a midi note to be sent from a host to a synthand back to a audio out source, i.e. sound card or the like.

This problem will be solved for you when you get a pro level sound card that can handle the massive processing required to get the sound stream from multiple tracks in, and processed and back out again within a few milliseconds...so that you are not able to perceive the slight time delay (latency) involved. SB cards are NOT able to do this well. Pro level card are very good at it.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 15:07:44 (permalink)
    I used to use the 0404 card...but I found it and the software complicated. So I eventually sold it and got the Saffire...it costs more but I can use it...and that's what is important.

The problem I had with the EMU-0404 was the patchmix software & Proteus.... good sounding stuff but with my feeble brain....I need simple.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 15:41:31 (permalink)
    The reason that at the mixer eliminates most audio lag time, is that when the sound card send the existing tracks into the tape input, you hear it at that time thru the headphone jack on the mixer with zero latency, then if you sing into the mike plugged into the mixer that as well is send to teh headphones thru the control room mixing button, now the existing tracks and the currently being recorded track are in the control room at the same time. Impossible for latency to happen there. If it takes a full minute fro the computer to send the music tracks to the mixer, you still will hear it live along side the mike track. Now under that situation there might be a need to nudge the new track about 30 feet to line it up, but that is where a prosumer card comes in

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 16:12:17 (permalink)
    GH is right.
    In this case, Guitar Guru has fallen for an illusion. Playback is very much subject to letency, and is really where most of it comes from.
    You can't tell that playback is subject to latency, because you have no reference to what initiated the sound. When you play songs in the Windows Media Player, these have 500ms of latency. That's 1/2 a second. This is the default setting for MME(the basic Windows driver for XP), which is why when you set the driver mode in MC to MME, you initially have that huge delay.
    When you record an input, you DO have a reference from the initiating source, and this delay is immediately perceptible.
    By monitoring from the mixer, you can hear your audio sources before they go through the process. Or with a sound card that has direct input monitoring, you can hear the same. However, this all goes out the window when you are using soft synths. How fast you hear these is entirely dependent on how efficiently your sound card handles playback, and how fast your CPU processes the synth data. The synth output is all on the playback side of the equation.
    It takes a certain amount of time for the synth itself to process it's data, and for most of mine, 8ms is the magic number.
    i can monitor audio at 2ms, so I interpret this as 6ms for the synth to di it's thing, and the additional 2ms to comvert the output to sound.
    Your own impression that the delay is from the previous recording is quite correct. If you try to play along with previous tracks, your new track will be consistently behind, by whatever the latency is.
    If you are seeing a change in tempo, that's not latency. It could be caused by different sample rates, different timing masters for playback and record, or some other mismatch somewhere in the system.
    Getting back to your question on the different versions of the E-MU0404, they will both ultimately cost about the same,
    The USB version has the preamps and A/D converter(sound card) integrated into one unit. The user interface is simpler, but less flexible.
    With the PCI version, a mixer is almost a must, and you need at least some kind of preamp(s) for audio input.
    The E-MU0404PCI($100) + a Behringer Xenyx802($60), makes for a solid package that is hard to beat.
    Since you seem to be primarrily looking at synths, this seems relevant.
    I record all my synth tracks live, in real time. I have up to 12 synths running(this varies, depending on how hard the particular synths hit the CPU).
    Most projects have betwenn 15 and 30 track, a mix of audio and MIDI. I hold off on heavy effects(ie, Reverb) untill after all tracks are recorded, then bump the latency to 20-50ms for mixing.
    Bottom line, for purely audio work, the more basic cards will work, but if you are using primarilly soft synths, you need a capable sound card.
    And boost your RAM to at least 1 Gb. 512Mb is a killer with the synths.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 16:13:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Robomusic

The reason that at the mixer eliminates most audio lag time, is that when the sound card send the existing tracks into the tape input, you hear it at that time thru the headphone jack on the mixer with zero latency, then if you sing into the mike plugged into the mixer that as well is send to teh headphones thru the control room mixing button, now the existing tracks and the currently being recorded track are in the control room at the same time. Impossible for latency to happen there. If it takes a full minute fro the computer to send the music tracks to the mixer, you still will hear it live along side the mike track. Now under that situation there might be a need to nudge the new track about 30 feet to line it up, but that is where a prosumer card comes in

Thanks Robomusic and GuitarHacker

I actually found another thread where The Guitar Guru wrote that the solution to latency problems is in buying a better sound card. But I've also found some other tips such as turning off input monitoring that I want to try. I may buy the Behringer mixer. I may buy the EMU or some other sound card. I may buy another 2 meg of memory. But first I'm going to try starting with a blank canvas and creating a "Hello World" recording.

In computing when we want to test a new programming technique it's common to write a "Hello World" program which is a simple test of the process with no bells and whistles. I will record 4 bars (or 12 bars) of one simple guitar audio track and see if I get any latency. Then I'll add more audio and MIDI tracks until the latency comes in. At that point I can know better where the problems begin and decide if buying better equipment is worth it.

I don't mind spending the money if it solves the problem (up to a point) but I loathe spending more money only to find out that it doesn't fix the issue.

Steve
    post edited by sgaines44 - 2008/05/16 16:52:32
    Beagle
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 16:47:44 (permalink)
    yes, these guys are right. that thread you found from guitar guru is misleading at best. and rob's right, even tho I said that MIDI latency is what you're dealing with - it's actually the AUDIO aspect of it which causes the problem, thus the need for a good soundcard and drivers.

I had the exact same problem when I started. I speak from experience - I bought SHS4 and plugged in my keyboard and wow - horrible latency. then I did something stupid and I bought a soundcard without consulting anyone on the forums. I bought a SB LIVE! USB. better, but latency still sucked badly. then I finally wised up and found out from the forums that you needed a sound card which was designed for recording with drivers written for recording. I went and bought an EMU-0404, but the package was opened and it didn't have the cable or software with it. I took it back and exchanged it for an M-audio Delta 44.

WOW. what a difference. latency is at 5.8msec during recording and the sound quality is absolutely audible!

would never consider an onboard soundcard or a SB card again!

Guitarhacker
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 17:06:21 (permalink)
    Well...since you are having to spend about $200 for a PCI or USB based system....

If money is not to much of a problem. Go firewire. I have a focusrite saffire. I have NO mixer, & NO preamp. I plug my guitar or mic directly into the saffire and record. Listen to the top 3 songs on my soundclick site and you can hear for yourself. All 3 were recorded in MC4 with the saffire...all audio straight in.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire/

Also, I have no noticable latency with this rig. I think Greg also uses saffire. You can buy one new for $300, and be done with all the latency issues.

BMI/NSAI

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 17:34:29 (permalink)
    Hey Steve, I agree with Hacker about the firewire. Two weeks ago i purchased a delta 1010lt (pci) which I'm sure with a little more workingh out would have yielded pro results and allowed for expansion. I brought it back and picked the presonus firebox and I am runnining it on vista with the supplied ASIO drivers on MC4 with no latency, stuttering, crack and pop and I'm getting clear recordings. I'm new to recording and although I did pickup some great knowledge trying to get the pci going, it really goy to the point where I realized how utterly important your interface is. i don't think it's a matter of just getting a mid level sound card to work "ok". I have a berringer mixer but I'm not using at all. I get a good strong signal and it also has a 48v preamp for mics. After my sound card struggles I felt it was well worth the money. Good Luck.
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 18:03:11 (permalink)
    Help! Now I've got no sound from Music Creator. I opened my test project and played it. It sounded normal. I decided to look at the settings in Options, Audio again. Someone mentioned not using MME as Driver Mode. Mine was set at WDM/KS. I tried switching it to ASIO. Then I got no sound. So I switched it back to WDM/KS and now I've still got no sound.

This is so frustrating. I just want to record some music. It appears that I have to attend 4 years of Cakewalk University before I can learn how to operate this. If I can't figure this out the average bear is going nowhere with Music Creator. Where did my sound go? Do I have to reinstall Cakewalk? Do I have to reinstall Audigy? Why can't this be more straightforward?

Steve
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 18:09:41 (permalink)
    I notice that my audio tracks now have DXi symbols on them. Why did that happen? How do I restore them to be audio tracks? The audio wave still appears in the wave pane.
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 18:20:38 (permalink)
    OK, problem solved. I recovered my sound. I had to deselect my input device, then re-select it, then close Cakewalk and when I re-opened the project I had to select the audio input device (Audigy) again on each track. So simple. Not.

Steve
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/16 19:05:52 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if there is a connection yet, but in the past two weeks, I have seen at least two of you experience thiis same extremely bizaar behavior. In the same two weeks, Microsoft has been shuffling the deck, by sending SP3 updates to XP. Sometimes these updates can have unexpected results, as a side effect of what they intend to do.
    Do you have automatic update enabled?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    sgaines44
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/17 00:33:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RobertB

I'm not sure if there is a connection yet, but in the past two weeks, I have seen at least two of you experience thiis same extremely bizaar behavior. In the same two weeks, Microsoft has been shuffling the deck, by sending SP3 updates to XP. Sometimes these updates can have unexpected results, as a side effect of what they intend to do.
    Do you have automatic update enabled?

Robert

No, in my case I don't have automatic updates enabled. In fact, at one time I activated something called Live Update (I think it is) and it trashed my Windows XP operating system. I had to re-install Windows and it took me weeks to get most of the damage undone.

Steve
    Beagle
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/17 07:41:11 (permalink)
    "Live Update" is Norton/Semantac. I refuse to have Norton on my machine - it bogs the system down and causes problems.

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/17 10:57:13 (permalink)
    McAfee for me, I could never find a way to turn Norton off when I wanted to record audio.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/17 11:14:06 (permalink)
    I hate auto updates...... when they come in ...even windows updates at times screw up the system until they issue a new update that fixes that issue but creates another....... and on it goes....

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    RE: How To Cure Latency Problems? 2008/05/17 11:42:29 (permalink)
    Getting off topic, but I use AVG FREE now. It never bothers me.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1