How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device?

Author
SonicExplorer
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 775
2017/10/23 20:58:05 (permalink)

How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device?

Hi,

I removed a flaky SBLive card (being used for MIDI out/synth) from a new DAW build and it caused a real problem with my projects.  Apparently Sonar lists the physical MIDI devices first in the track output selection list, so after removing the SBLive all the outputs are screwed up.  Sonar doesn't remember by names, only the ordinal/position in the list. In other words, all the Synth instances (LiveSynthPro, Superior Drummer, etc) in the list that followed the SBLive are now moved up a notch, yet Sonar continues to adhere to the old position in the list, thereby causing everything to be off.  

I could assign an RME MIDI output under MIDI Devices to take the place of the SBLive, but would rather not since MIDI data would, some instances, be piped into the RME for no reason.  Are there any other solutions to resolve this issue I'm having?  A way to put a stub in the MIDI output list?  Or some other solution???

Extreme thanks for any help with this....

Sonic

21 Replies Related Threads

seriousfun
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/23 21:20:18 (permalink)
    From Bob Bergen on the Facebook Cakewalk SONAR User Group https://www.facebook.com/...roup/?ref=group_header

"Bob BergenGroup Admin Do you mean my hack:
    With Sonar closed, delete ctrlsurface.dat and ttsseq.ini, open Sonar, set your controller and control surfaces prefs (and set the midi lookahead buffer to 500ms), close Sonar, set the file attributes for ctrlsurface.dat and ttsseq.ini to read-only. No more forgotten settings for those anymore. Of course, if you want add a midi device, you'll have to remove the read-only attribute and put it back after you're done."

Doug Osborne
    SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/23 21:59:46 (permalink)
    And that will work in the case of a MISSING MIDI device??  Or is the implication I'd have to install the SBLive again, then go through the configuration hack, and then remove the SBLive?  

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/23 22:21:02 (permalink)
    you can always test it by making a back up of ctrlsurface.dat and ttsseq.ini.
    If it doesn't do what you want, its easy enough to reverse.
    What have you got to lose ? takes probably 3 minutes.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/23 22:43:56 (permalink)
    Mostly just trying to understand what it is I'm supposed to do.  I'd also hate to muck anything up on a brand new DAW rebuild that took me many days.  But if all I have to do make a copy of the original files and restore them in order to get 100% back to square one, then as you say there's no reason not to try.  That is of course assuming I understand the sequence I'm supposed to follow..... that's not quite clear to me at the moment.

And are we saying there is no other Sonar method, nor MIDI device stub of sorts, that could be used?
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/23 23:29:14 (permalink)
    I've been trying to figure out what it is you have a problem with as it does not make any sense to me, and possibly most of the others around here so therefore no answers. 

We EXPECT when we change our hardware set up that older projects will need a few minutes of TLC to bring them up to date on the new system. This doesn't take much time really. So not sure what it is your mad about.  

I have over time changed my system, my interfaces, my controllers and my computers a dozen or more times. I'm always happily upgrading. 
    Sonar is pretty smart and warns me of some of the changes and even re assigns some stuff without issue. 
    The most troublesome has been any old projects from one system that the Master is set to my SPDIF instead of 1/2 resulting in playback silence and a few minutes of pondering until I remember that fact. Otherwise all works as expected. 

In preferences I make sure my 3 midi  input devices are checked and ready to use.. I really don't care where they are on the list. Why would that matter? They show clearly on the midi track input list so I just select the controller I want when I'm recording midi. a 3 second task. 

I do not select any midi device outputs as mostly I'm not driving any outboard midi gear and if you don't select a device Sonar will automatic insert TTS_1 and populate all 16 tracks when you open any midi file. A huge timesaver for me.
    If I want to hook up some old midi hardware it takes a half a minute to select my Scarlett midi output. 
    NOBODY uses on board wavetable synths unless they are tone deaf. Sonar should totally remove that as an option, it would keep new users out of trouble. 

Now if your talking about midi track outputs those will always stay assigned to the VST instrument they originally used unless that VST is no longer installed. You'll get warnings when you open that project and they will show  greyed out so easy to find a newer, better replacement.  Sonar will ussually re assign midi tracks to the last used VST. Supper easy to change. 

I open older projects almost daily as I upgrade my backing tracks using newer better VST instruments. Midi files I made on a 1985 Atari 1040ST still open and will play. But I don't expect the Bass patch I used in 1985 to be correct. A little TLC to each project and 15 minutes later using track templates I've got a whole new upgraded sound. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 01:16:16 (permalink)
    Uh....no, seems you are definitely missing something, not sure how I can explain it more clearly.  Here's another stab - this WRT the MIDI outputs:

This is one example of the way the old machine might display within a project for each MIDI track:
       1 - SB Live! MIDI Synth
       2 - Toontrack DFH Superior 1
    * 3 - LiveSynth Pro 1
       4 - Livesynth Prof 2

And this is what would display on the new machine without the SBLive:
       1 - Toontrack DFH Superior 1
       2 - LiveSynth Pro 1
    * 3 - Livesynth Prof 2
       4 - (nothing/non-assigned)

You see how the list is now shifted AND the wrong output is selected?  This is not a simple or trivial matter in context of numerous tracks across 100+ projects (and BTW which altering them would also make the projects no longer backward compatible if I ever needed to load them up on the retired/backup machine).

How is this not a legitimate, serious concern?  If I'm overlooking something then clue me in please....

Sonic
    chuckebaby
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 01:35:33 (permalink)

never mind. Sorry I cant be of help more.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 01:46:21 (permalink)
    The only thing I can think of is to go back to the retired/backup machine, install your new interface and drivers, remove the SB live and all it's references, make sure the new interface is listed first, save save save then move the projects with the new preferences to the new machine.
    I know that's a lot of work, but so is going through every project you have and changing every output of every one of them.
    Excuse me, too, but sometimes I get crazy ideas about how these magic boxes work. 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 02:57:45 (permalink)
    Greg, I'm not following, won't that just move the current problem on the new machine back to the old machine?  I mean, if I remove the SBLive card from the old machine then I'll essentially have the same config as I now have on the new machine...

???
    Base 57
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 249
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 03:40:30 (permalink)
    I have a wacky idea that may work for you. Basically you need a midi out that would show up before the soft synths. So why don't you download and install LoopBe1. It's free. SONAR would see it as hardware so it should be first on the list. And it is pretty darn useful.
    Worth a try.
    vladasyn
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 03:43:38 (permalink)
    I dont see the problem. I have MANY keyboards all working as controllers. All have their names on the list. Nothing gets massed up. I have them on some time, another time, I do not. Sonar asks me, "Yamaha Motif was removed, do you want to reassign MIDI Inputs?" I say NO and everything stays in place. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
    http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
    I am a female. Windows 8.1
    Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
      Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
    SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 04:07:10 (permalink)
    vlad, my bad, I was trying to make the scenario as simple as possible for the purpose of creating this thread.  The reality is I'm not removing a card from an existing system, rather I built another system which doesn't have an SBLive card any longer.  So, true, what you are saying might work for a situation where you already have a machine configured that matches existing projects.  But in my case I have a new machine that is now missing the first MIDI device so everything in the track output selections is shifted incorrectly when I open the projects.

Base57, that suggestion makes sense. Come to think of it, I might be able to use one of the already existing MidiYoke outputs (which seems the same concept as LoopBe1). That might however put things at risk for a nasty feedback loop were I to accidentally select the wrong IN/OUT combination on a track.  I wonder if that's a potential system damage concern or not?

BTW, is there a way to rename I/O devices in S5 PE?  I'm not seeing anything obvious, unless it can be done via an INI file...
    vladasyn
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 04:15:51 (permalink)
    I switched to new computer this year as well. Every time I open old project that had something I dont currently use, it asks me, "MOTU MIDI Output and Input are missing, would you like to Reassign?" I say no and it just silencing the missing tracks. Also there is a setting for Friendly Names, I dont know if it applies to MIDI or only Audio, but all my inputs are marked. I have at least 10 controllers, and i will assure you that I dont use them all at the same time, but they show up in the options if the driver is installed. If the driver is not installed but the project had that assignment, it simply asks me if I want to reassign. I dont like to let it reassign, so I say NO and reassign myself. How hard can it be to reassign Inputs when you need them? Most likely you only will need to reassign few inputs per project. Also I commit my tracks to Audio, I almost never keep anything in MIDI. Yes, I may want to change it later but I make my decision when I work on that part. So I have 80% audio. The only time I have real issue with not knowing what is what is when i set my Metronome to MIDI on certain MNIDI out, let's say Out 6, and I have to remember that it is 6th module in my hardware synths rack, and it gets massed up and some time it is 4, some time it is 5. So I started using Audio click. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
    http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
    I am a female. Windows 8.1
    Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
      Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
    SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 04:28:42 (permalink)
    vlad, keep in mind I'm using S5 PE, it may not have that behavior/functionality you mention.  And in my case, between the drum synths and keyboard tracks I have 15-20 MIDI tracks per project I'd have to mess with.
    Cactus Music
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 16:23:55 (permalink)
    As I said, I don't think any of us understand what your problem is. We totally get that you have changed your system and we all totally get that this will result in what you are describing but we don't get what your "problem" is with that. 

question- are you using VST soft synths at all? or are you trying to use MS wavetable or external hardware?? I have a feeling your troubled because you were using the sound fonts on the Sound Blaster and now they are gone//right? 

As I said, Sonar will open old projects on a new system no problem other than the plug ins may no longer be available so it warns us as it loads and then they show but are greyed out. You either find the old plug ins and install them or you replace them with something more up to date. 

Inputs as I said, so what if they show in a different order.. why does that matter, I can't think when this would cause a problem. 
    You just choose the controller your going to use to record with. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 17:22:25 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    As I said, I don't think any of us understand what your problem is. We totally get that you have changed your system and we all totally get that this will result in what you are describing but we don't get what your "problem" is with that.

Well, some people understand what the problem is...
    There is a BUG in Sonar. I am not sure when exactly it was introduced, probably in the version when they have made MIDI ports "more persistent".

Sonar identify existing MIDI ports by names. That is a questionable decision by itself (f.e. the reason why more then one instance of some USB-MIDI devices is impossible to use), but it has one logical advantage: if you let say have "MY_MIDI_DEVICE" and use it as MIDI input on some track (for using more then one controller in parallel, fighting with "MIDI Leaks" Sonar bug, etc) or as a Control Surface, you can expect "MY_MIDI_DEVICE" will be set as the input even when MIDI configuration is changed, as long as "MY_MIDI_DEVICE" exists (or re-appear) in the system. Unfortunately, that is not the case. That is clearly a bug. And that is a problem for OP.

I (and many other) observe this bug (with hi probability the same, but I am not 100% sure) in a more weird way. If "MY_MIDI_DEVICE" is assigned as an input for some Control Surface plug-in, after MIDI configurations is changed, it is still shown as the input for this plug-in. So everything looks good. But it only looks good, in reality the input is shifted to some other device... Temporarily re-assigning the input to another port, apply, assign to correct one most of the time fix the problem. In worse case, INI files wiping is required.

For someone the workaround with "fixing" assignments is not a big deal. In other that is rather annoying. I think it is incorrect to claim that no one see that as a real problem.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    chuckebaby
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 17:31:46 (permalink)
    azslow3
    Cactus Music

Well, some people understand what the problem is...

Im with Johnny, I have no idea what the problem is.

The problem he is trying to solve here is with Sonar 5 in Windows XP.(perfect example why we need a sonar legacy forum)

azslowThere is a BUG in Sonar. I am not sure when exactly it was introduced, probably in the version when they have made MIDI ports "more persistent".

If there was a midi bug introduced here, we are talking about a 10 year old midi bug. 
    Im not even sure there were .ini files in Sonar 5. that's why I dropped out of this thread.
    However it may seem what Johnny is saying is of no use.. it might actually help.
    Because the issue can be described in better detail. Thus more of us may understand a little better.

Though I believe if anyone can help Sonic solve this issue it would probably be you because of your knowledge of midi.

Cactus Music
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 17:48:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Chuck for backing me up as I think both of us would truly like to help the OP but so far I just don't see why ins and outs changing is a problem. I'll admit I not using a lot of in's and out's and maybe it is an issue for someone with a very complicated set up but for me it only takes a minute to fix this. To expect the Software to figure it out seems like asking a lot.  And to complain about OLD versions will fall on deaf ears anyhow.  

I have 3 midi input devices and these have all changed over time as I upgrade. 
    If I open an old project, and some of these were made in Guitar Studio which I think is same era as S5 and S6 they might go looking for my Sound blaster card and things are not going to work right away until I do a little bit of work. As I said,,, I would expect this when you try and open any old projects. 
    If you don't like this then I guess you just never upgrade your system. 
    I really wonder if the input and output assignments would behave the way your asking in any DAW? 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/24 19:57:13 (permalink)
    Everybody relax. lol  I really appreciate the help, truly. If there isn't a solution, then there isn't a solution.  I'm just trying to understand what the options are.  I can't see how anyone can say they don't see the problem though.  To say it's not a problem in their opinion is fine, but to say they can't see the problem I'm referring to is very perplexing.  I spelled it out about as clearly as can be (in particular see post #7).  Sonar seems to track the ordinal/position of the MIDI output selection in the track output listing instead of the actual proper output selection when it comes to the configuration changing.  Sonar really should be tracking by name or some other internal ID, anything that allows it to retain the proper mapping.  I don't care how old the software is, it should have the basic intelligence to at least be able to maintain the previously selected output (provided it still exists) on a new system or configuration.  

It sounds like Sonar is hopeless in this sense and the only way to potentially resolve this is to make sure some kind of placeholder remains in the initial location where the SBLive used to be.  Whether it be putting the SBLive back in the machine or use a virtual software stub (MIDIYoke, etc).  

If anybody has any other ideas please share....

Sonic 
    SonicExplorer
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/26 19:46:14 (permalink)
    I've actually got this under control now for both MIDI and Audio - with one exception - the MIDI INPUT side.  I cannot explain why, but when All-Inputs Omni should be selected Sonar is instead on the new machine choosing the next down the list. If however None was selected (which is FIRST in the list) then Sonar gets it right on the new machine.  WTFrig??  This doesn't even follow any common sense order so I have no idea what to make of this....

Any guesses ??
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: How To Keep Track MIDI Output Assignments Correct After Removing Device? 2017/10/26 22:08:36 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    The problem he is trying to solve here is with Sonar 5 in Windows XP.(perfect example why we need a sonar legacy forum)

I have not noticed that, my bad...
    That means the problem exists at least since Sonar 5 (no wonder,  I bet MIDI core engine is still the same)

Cactus Music
    I really wonder if the input and output assignments would behave the way your asking in any DAW? 

The only other DAW I have started to use recently is Tracktion Waveform. Its solution for MIDI inputs is brilliant compare to Sonar. I have barely used MIDI outputs there, but I had no problem when I did.

In short, you can create "Virtual MIDI input" devices and use them in projects. So they stay in tact independent from physical devices available.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1