How To Make A Bleep?

Author
xenohazard
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2008/04/23 22:25:46 (permalink)

How To Make A Bleep?

I Am trying to figure out how to duplicate the Bleep that you hear during communications between NASA and orbiting spacecraft or like when the Eagle landed on the moon. It's very high pitched with an instant attack. Where to start?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dual Beautiful Daughters 5yr. and 6yr.

15 Replies Related Threads

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/24 05:07:19 (permalink)
    "Cakewalk Synthesizers" by Simon Cann. Use one of the free mono synths he uses in the first couple of chapters. This would be a good exercise for learning basic synth programming.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/24 08:10:45 (permalink)
    Ring modulation is probably one of the best ways to start, its good for bell like sounds (and ergo good for bleeps as well), and yes it would make a good exercise in learning how to program a basic sound.
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/24 08:49:31 (permalink)

There are several ways to make a sound like that -

One way would be start with a sawtooth wave; set attack, sustain, and release to zero, and decay to 5% - 10%; then run it through a chorus.

I am not an expert
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/24 09:35:11 (permalink)
    Where to start?
    You're in the Instruments forum, XH, so I'll give you the Rapture version. Except for the 'periodic' part using the StepGen, you could follow the exact same process in one of the Dimension flavors. I just played back a transmission archive, and this particular one sounded like about a D8 + 50 cents (the D three octaves above middle C). I added the 50 cents in the Tune parameter.

Alternately, if you want any key to trigger the core pitch:
    Keytrack - 0
    Transpose - 38
    Tune - 50.

The choice of wavetable can be variable. It's not quite as pure as a sine.wav, but one of the triangle wavetables, or sine cube would be a good choice. It will depend on how much filtering you'd want to do 'downstream', but don't start with anything too 'brassy (like a saw).

Using a wavetable with low harmonic content, you may want to only add some distortion. A little bit of Decim or BitRed (<20%) will go a long way here. If it gets too upfront, tame it on down by following it with a LP1 filter. State-of-the-art was eight-bit, and you've got the distance of transmission & cosmic influences to consider here.

As far as the Amp EG goes, you're all set without creating one. Instant-on; instant off. You may want to create a little releasing envelope on a second Element, loaded with a noise.wav. There's often a little garbled crunch at the trailing end of the 'beep', as a switch is opened or closed. I'd make that subtle: barely audible, and then turn it down a notch. This is more of a subliminal effect.

If you'd like the 'beep' to be periodic, turn on the Amp StepGen, raise the first step, and drop all of the rest to zero (level). Then adjust the Freq / Sync / Steps settings to taste for the overall timing and length.

I added a very brief Pitch EG; one-shot, without a sustain point. You could do the same with a one-shot Pitch LFO or Pitch StepGen. In the envelope, I set the Depth to no more than 100 cents. Then I drew an erratic set of nodes & segments which eventually settled down to zero level. The 'beep' pitch has trouble locking to a specific frequency before it settles down. This is another subliminal effect that adds to the realism.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/24 09:40:22 (permalink)
    Here you go.

That's the basic beep note, it's real easy to make with Audacity's tone generator set to 2450 hz (checked with moon landing recording) at 0,25 secs, the other settings left to default. (Sinus wave, amplitude 1)

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/24 11:12:34 (permalink)
    Years ago I had to do the soundtrack for a slide show for floural (sp?) carbon emissions (back when this was cutting edge and before the global warming crusade). I used a moog's filter turned up to feed back resonance. The only problem was it took a while to get the sustain right (I had to play it manually since I couldn't midi trigger it and some of the bleeps were a bit longer than others - it was also put down to tape).

My suggestion would be a sine way with a set frequency and amp legnth. Maybe a hint of envelope attack and release if you want to smooth it out. Once you get the timing right, then you could see if Tom's triangle way, etc. might better the sound. A bleep is a bleep except when you are creating it.

Good luck and trust your ears with all the above advice.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    xenohazard
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/26 19:37:26 (permalink)
    I have been gone for a couple of days but thanks for all of the replies.

This should give me all the info. I need to make the right bleep, beep or ping.

Talk about "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know" about making a BEEP.

And yes, a great way to learn a little synthisis.
    post edited by xenohazard - 2008/04/26 19:57:11

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/26 20:43:44 (permalink)
    Yes, that's called a Quindar tone, and it is essentially two sine waves, both very close to 2500hz, for 1/4 second. (Google Quindar tone for the exact specs). This is doable in any of the Cakewalk synths, and in Rapture for instance, you'll get some practice using the amplitude wave modulation, and tuning a couple of sine wave elements.

--kwgm
    xenohazard
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/04/26 22:12:27 (permalink)
    Thanks kwgm, excellent resourse for the official specs.

electropop2
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/05/02 12:57:52 (permalink)
    I recently made my version of the 60's NASA bleep, using Reaktor. It has instant attack, and is basically like a sinewave with a bit of bandpass-filtered noise. It's important to play it at the right pitch.
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/05/15 13:01:50 (permalink)
    Hi xenohazard,

I thought that you might be interested in a plugin that would automagically add the Quindar tones so I wrote one --- mostly to get more familiar with the VST/SDK. It was an interesting project. The zip file containing quind.dll and Quind.fxp (preset) are at:

Quindar Tone Plugin

It has the basic interface, nothing fancy, but you can set:

Gain (overall gain for the tones)

Threshold at which the intro and outro tones are triggered

Buffer size (impacts how quickly it reacts)

InGain and OuGain (intro and outro gains separately)

Pan's

Intro and outro frequencies (hard to set at specific freqs, but includes 2525 and 2475 in Quind.fxp preset)

Durations between 0 and 1 second

I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work in about half a dozen hosts. If you decide to try it, you'll have to play around with the buffer size and possibly the thresholds to match your audio. I should also mention that the buffer stores values that are the *max* of L and R for an RMS calculation to apply to the threshold. It's stereo in/out. Uh --- can't think of anything else. Hope it works for someone!!

Regards,
    Dave Clark

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/05/15 13:06:49 (permalink)
    cool Dave.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/05/15 13:35:51 (permalink)
    Wow, impressive!

( Maybe you can sell to NASA? :#)

--kwgm
    xenohazard
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/05/15 19:28:34 (permalink)
    WOW, DC.

Thanks for the time and effort.

There may be a few new Major Tom spinoffs.

DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: How To Make A Bleep? 2008/05/17 23:16:58 (permalink)
    Greetings all,

Thanks to those who responded. Hope it works!

I went ahead and added a couple of new features for the heck of it --- and because I thought I would find it more useful: Saw, Square, and Tri waveforms, but not band-limited so sound awful for higher freqs.

I also added a feature to reduce the gain of the original sound that triggered the pulses. This should be very useful because you can now create just the bleeps, or the bleeps with a very low original sound, then process this clip with effects, then mixdown the original track plus the bleeps after processing to another track. Probably easier to understand if I just point you to a clip:

Quind2 and FX Demo

In this clip, I fed a two nonsinusoidal bleeps plus a very small amount of voice to a guitar preamp effect (CM SLO-88) then a delay (RetroDelay). Then the original voice and effect clip were fed to Perfect Space with an IR I calculated for ambience.

Quind2 plugin:

Quind2

Regards,
    Dave Clark

PS (on Edit, 27May08): Updated Quind2 to fix bug which prevented it from working with certain hosts (e.g. VST Adapter for HS hosts).

post edited by DaveClark - 2008/05/27 02:13:22
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1