How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Saxon1066
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 619
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2007/08/16 22:55:19 (permalink)
Will try it. Interesting to hear that about the Avalons. I read every review I could find about the 737's before buying them (the Avalon site gives a bunch), and I don't recall any reviewer emphasizing their coloring per se, but it makes a lot of sense after using them. One reviewer called them "strikingly accurate." I do not concur! BTW, I love them for vocals with the TLM 103's. Just not on guitar. I'm thinking about the Grace m201 for transparency or Vintech X73i for the eq. Any advice?
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2007/08/17 19:42:58 (permalink)
you will never get the "exact" sound you hear, it's simply not possible. you can get pretty close though, and you probably already have. something else you may want to consider is that you are way too scoped into your guitar sound. when you are the only person that can hear the difference, you are close enough. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2007/08/17 21:00:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

you will never get the "exact" sound you hear, it's simply not possible...

On the contrary, I highly encourage anyone on any budget to invest in at least one omnidirectional reference microphone. If you can't afford to go Earthworks, even the cheap behringer ECM8000 will do. Plug this mic into a clean preamp (Grace, Presonus or soundcraft are good choices in different budget ranges) and just leave it in the middle of the room and record people talking or whatever. Play it back and it will fool people into responding to recorded conversations. What you hear is what you get, seriously.

The difficulties of accurate, authentic recording are greatly exaggerated. The hard stuff is things like how do we take a massive guitar sound at 100dB SPL and try to create the same illusion of power and size when it is played back on a little car stereo at conversational volume, or how to take a throaty, reedy singer and make their voice sound rich and full-bodied, and that kind of stuff.

One of the hardest things for bedroom producers to come to terms with I think is just how accurate most of their diappointing recordings are. Much the way that people are often embarassed by the sound of their own voice, musicians have a tendency to discount just how difficult it can be to create even those bland, disposable pop records. We sit around with friends and play and everyone overlooks the missed beats and buzzing strings and heavy-handed articulation and nasal, pitchy singing and loosey-goosey timing and so on, but the microphone doesn't lie all that much.

My two cents, anyway.

Cheers.
jacktheexcynic
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2007/08/17 21:56:05 (permalink)
well i was being pretty pedantic about the word "exact" - i totally see your point though.

what i was thinking of was all the differences between listening to say a guitar being played through an amp and recording it. the OP wants the "exact" sound he hears, but where is he standing? probably not 5" away from the grille, exactly between the center and voice coil of the speaker. maybe he's been playing for an hour and finally has "that" sound because his ears aren't hearing the highs anymore, but mics don't get ear fatigue of course.

so if he's 8 feet away, and puts the mic there, he should get the same sound, but no one mics a cab from 8 feet away and calls it a day, right?

- jack the ex-cynic
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2007/08/17 22:44:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic
...so if he's 8 feet away, and puts the mic there, he should get the same sound, but no one mics a cab from 8 feet away and calls it a day, right?

Not usually, but again, I think that's the underlying problem here.

You are absolutely right that almost no studio guitar sound accurately represents the sound that the player is hearing live, which was the OP's complaint-- he wanted to hear exactly what he hears live, if I read him right.

Trouble is, I think there is a very high likelihood that the exact sound he hears live would actually be something of a disappointment as a recorded guitar sound, primarily due to the effect that real-world volume has on our hearing, which is not at all linear.

Stuff that sounds great at loud volumes often sounds pretty crappy at low volumes. Live music is usually played at high volume while most recorded music is listened to at relatively lower volume. So it is very often the case that the best onstage sound is different from the best album sound.

Cheers.

PS-- funny how the same kinds of issues come up all at once on completely different threads.
post edited by yep - 2007/08/17 22:51:58
jacktheexcynic
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2007/08/17 23:07:55 (permalink)
yeah it is kinda strange, but i definitely see how the same rules apply. the next time i mess with tone on my pod, i think i'm going to do it at a lower level. i usually don't crank it anyway but i think it'll be a good test of how it will stand up in the mix later.

i also occasionally crank the mix because that will tell you if you've got anything harsh or boomy or clangy that is isn't apparent at a lower volume. but i never listen to the mix at high volumes for more than the length of the song.

- jack the ex-cynic
Saxon1066
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 03:56:40 (permalink)
Geokauf

The problem: getting that sound recorded and coming through the monitors as I hear it live.

Hello,

This is a joke right? I mean you have all this equipment Marshall 4x12, Avalon, Royer ribbon, Apogee converters, and the whole nine yards. And you're wondering, "Why can't I get a good sound?" The question for me is why can't you? You certainly can't blame your gear.

Way before I had a chance to work with top pros I was recording guitar amps with SM57s. Not because the 57 was my mic of choice but because that was all I had. I put a 57 on a boom stand about 1" away from the grill, 1/2 way between the center and the edge. Then I would cover the amp and boom stand with a couple of movers' furniture pads. My reason for the furniture pads was to keep out street noise (my studio was in a New York City loft). (Note: on a Marshall 4x12 you place the head on top of the covered amp. On combo amps one must keep track of how long it is under a blanket because a tube amp will get as hot as you know where very quickly. So during those sessions we would break frequently to let the amp cool down. I might note that in the summer my top floor non-air conditioned space was about 110 degrees F to begin with.

However, years later working with top pro engineers, I found that they predominantly used 57s on guitar amps and a few of them even covered the amp with furniture pads, but not to keep ambient sound out but to improve the sound by blocking out all ambience. If they didn't use 57s for guitars the next mic of choice was a 421. Sometimes there might be a U87 in the distance to get some room. But mostly I saw guitar amps placed in vocal booths, and then cranked up to 11 (if that was the sound you were looking for) and a single 57 or occasionally a 421. I once saw a rather exotic setup used on one of my band's recording date and it is interesting to note that the engineer was not a top pro but a middling pro. The amp was a twin reverb on stool about 7 or 8 feet away from the control room window, facing the control room window. There was a 57 in the usual position in front of and facing the amp and then there was a U87 facing the control room glass about 12 inches from the glass. This mic (it was explained to me) was to get the amp's reflected sound from the glass. Then there was another U87 behind the amp about 7 or 8 feet in the center of the studio to get the room ambiance. I remember thinking, cut the cr*p, just use the 57 and record some guitar."

A huge amount of guitar through the ages has been recorded with 57s in places where they had just about every exotic mic available. This has been my experience.

In today's modern digital DAW world I strongly recommend ditching the hardware for Amplitube or Guitar Rig, etc. and spend your time creating your own pre-sets. Then you develop a library of setups with sounds that are easily repeatable. Also you are playing through your monitors from the get-go and you can formulate your sound to sound best in the monitors rather than in the room. I know you're a hardware guy and you got this nice Marshall bottom. I'm not entirely unsympathetic. I have a 23 year old Music Man HD130 amp with 4x12 bottom, a Fender Blues Deluxe, 62 Twin Reverb re-issue (belonged to Robert Quine) and a 1970 Ampeg B-15 bass amp. I luvs my tubes. But I did a little test. I created a set-up in Amplitube 2. I dialed up a twin reverb amp clean sound and then put the "fuzz ace" (Amplitube Fuzz Face simulator) in the line. Then I took my real 1970 Arbiter Fuzz Face and plugged it into the 62 Twin re-issue with the same clean sound. I had to smile because with my 5ms round trip latency playing through the computer really didn't feel (or sound) any different from the real thing. I was surprised but I really shouldn't have been. After all we have no problem using software reverbs, delays, compressors, EQs and every kind of softsyth. Why draw the line at software guitar amps? An advantage of a software guitar amp is that "nothing is etched in stone." You can go back and make adjustments to the amp rather than having to add EQ on top of the sound. For example I was about to bus an Amplitube track to a reverb and I realized I could go back to Amplitube and add spring reverb to the amp which is what I really wanted (make sure you unfreeze first). Or, more likely, the opposite: You realize at mixdown that you wish you hadn't used so much reverb but now you can't "turn it down." Things like that.

In the end it doesn’t really matter what kind of sound you have tweaked if you can’t really play or have nothing (musical) to say. I prefer the playing over the sound. Listen to Albert King and you’ll hear what someone can do with just a guitar and amp.

GK

Wow!  I was just re-reading this old thread I started back in '07 and getting pissed off again at this guy's (George's Kaufmann's) condescending tone.  I checked his band website--and he passed away two years ago at age 58!  I am now 50.  It reminded me that taking offense--and giving offense--is a waste of precious time.   Every moment of life and health should be a joy.  The Lord is my Shepherd.

Sax
post edited by Saxon1066 - 2011/06/08 04:14:24
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 05:30:45 (permalink)
I dunno Saxon, I think we have to draw the line when it comes to someone being offensive in a harsh way. I found his first line a bit uncalled for in his reply to you and the rest was a good attempt at helping you out. However, even in 2007, listening to his tunes as well as his description on how to nail high gain....I'd say he "thought" he knew what he was talking about. Let's be realistic, (God rest GK's soul) you don't bring in a 1970's Ampeg bass amp, fuzz faces and a 62 Twin reissue as well as a mention of Albert King into the equasion when a man cries out and asks how to capture "today's modern/high gain rock/metal sounds". You just don't go there...period. I would have been a bit surprised by this and would have considered the source and then listened to his material. This is not a bust on the man, but we're talking about high gain in 2007, not fuzz box tone of the 60's.

There is a slightly different way you go about it with the gear you are using. I wish I would have seen this thread...I would have definitely helped you out. Unfortunately though, the first thing I would have made you get rid of is the VooDoo Valve. LOL! I had an endorsement with Rocktron years ago. I tried that thing 3 different times for over 2 months. I just could never get the sound I was looking for out of it. I actually got a better sound out of the first black and green Chameleon (which I still use to this day as my back up pre-amp) than I did the VDV. Yeah the VDV was tube sounding, but very tired tube sounding to my ears. Not tight enough...kinda flabby and loose. The Chameleon had hints of tube tonality at times, but not enough to convince anyone it was tube simulated even with the Rocktron Velocity power amp. (which I still use to this day)

However, I have always felt the Chameleon was light years ahead of the VDV in actual tone and the speaker simulation in it to this day is still one of the best I have ever heard or used.

Anyway, getting back to your point...you're right, everything should be a joy, but sometimes people feel the need to be helpful and may voice for the sake of a voice. They mean well, they are helpful and they may know what they are talking about, but you have to consider the source *especially* when tone is in question.

I don't care what credible people someone has worked with in their time. If I listen to a tune of theirs after reading a sermon and their tone is not a good representation of "good tone" (especially in the case of your situation) how can it be totally credible? It's like, do you listen to the guy that knows nothing about recording that has a tone that rips the flesh off your bones or the guy that has worked with numerous pros and doesn't have a sound even remotely close to what you are looking for? See my point? That's honestly not meant to sound mean or harsh since the man can't defend himself here, but that's being realistic in my opinion....and if I would have saw this thread, that is exactly what I would have said to him.

Sure, as a guitarist, you know that tone comes from your fingers, your execution, the guitar you play, the pups you use, the amp you choose...all that is super important. However, it doesn't mean you can capture YOUR sound that you hear to disc/tape properly and that's what you were asking. There is a technique to this...especially for high gain guitar. Now to me, it IS easy to get a good tone...however, it may not be easy to get YOUR tone captured to disc. There is a difference. We can make *A* tone sound good easy enough, but it may not be a tone *YOU* are down with and this is where you were crying out for help in my opinion, and didn't get the right answers from this gentleman. You don't need to hold a grudge, but in a sense, you had a right to be a little surprised by his response. We don't need to hear classic rockers talking about fuzz boxes, fenders and stuff like that when we ask a question about modern gain type tone. It's a totally different gain stage with totally different artifacts and mountains to climb.

I'm a guy that feeds off of proof by example. I can't help it if that sounds rough, but why on earth am I going to listen to someone that doesn't have any examples (or good examples) of their work or work they have done for others? Talk is cheap, ya know? I'll give praise to the kid that jumps on here and says "hey, I got this sound out of Amplitube Metal, a speaker sim, this impulse and I used a little tube compression on my line signal...listen to it here" over the guy that tries to sell me on how great his vintage gear sounds with others or in the past or on his own recordings. That doesn't answer the question and it has nothing to do with the discussion of "high gain in 2007", know what I mean? It sucks when we get upset, but it also sucks when someone doesn't proceed affectionately with the proper response and may be a bit harsh in their delivery while making you feel like an idiot. It's uncalled for really. Anyway...sorry for the novel, but that's my take on it for what it's worth. At least you DID get some pretty cool things to try out of this thread. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 10:31:23 (permalink)
bottom line is, the guys that get good tone captured, don't get it by accident.

and

not everything that works for guy X, works for guy Y

and what's the point of a great capture, if the guy is playing doo doo?

and guitar players don't play in a vacuum, everything they do has to relate to the rest of the mix.

there's so much going on here, it's pointless to take a harsh stand on any of it... it's so subjective.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 13:09:38 (permalink)
My comments are a little off topic, but I felt compelled. Prolly too much coffee:

This article is of interest:
[link=http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/330.html]http://www.recordingmag.c...esourceDetail/330.html
[/link]

Although it is primarily about impedance settings/mod for an SM57, it applies all things audio. (the author's findings: the sm57 needs an impedance of about 600 to sound correct, less brittle.)

As others have described, set a stereo pair at the height of your ears where the sound is correct, and then an omni,... And then many other mics around the room, record them simultaniously all trying different preamps and different impedance settings, as you already have.

And, of course, play with some of those old tape recorder mics you have in the drawer. Tape one of these mics to the cabinet.

Attach a contact mic to the speaker cab and send it to the board with a DI box.

============================

What do headphones sound like?

It may be the recordings are fine but your listening space/speakers are not replicating the sound.

This page has a bunch of links to articles about the problems of small rooms
http://realtraps.com/articles.htm

Especially this one: http://realtraps.com/art_small_rooms.htm

Get the test tones here:
http://realtraps.com/info.htm

And a Sonar project file here:
http://logicalarts.com/temp/response1secondtones0611a.zip

J
Saxon1066
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 17:09:17 (permalink)
Thanks for you comments, guys, and especially yours, Danny.  George did try to help, in his own way.  In general, though, punk bands are not as concerned about tone as metal bands.  RIP, George.  None of this is important in the cosmic scheme.

Anyway, noobs can expect a slap or two, and I got some, but I've had some cool adventures in tone in the last four years.  For one thing, I've added a crapload of gear:  a pair of AMS/Neve 1084's, a pair of Great Rivers, a Pacifica and an API 3124, along with a bunch of mics, including the SM7B and PR-30, which are excellent on high-gain amps.  Any combination of those gives me something slightly different from the same guitar amp.  And I definitely don't blame the gear.

One thing I've realized (and should've known, duh!):  mics are not ears, and recording chains are not brains.  I'm not going to capture through electro-mechanical devices the human experience of standing in front of an amp in a particular room.  (Duh!)  What I originally wanted was to "hear" what I got standing in front of a stereo setup with a Peavey Wolfgang and a voodu valve -- coming out of my control room monitor speakers.  I never quite got that, but I have gotten some pretty cool and usable sounds. 

One problem I have to work around is that my studio is in my home--and so is my wife.  I just can't crank a 5150 III up to 6 or 7 for hours at a time.  Since 2007, Revalver and Amplitube (and all the new impulses) have really come into their own, and I seem to be headed in that direction. 

Danny, LOL about the Voodu Valve.  My band has been trying to get me to dump that thing for 9 years.  One thing I like about it is that cranking the Voodu Valve/Velocity has no effect on tone, so I can record at low levels--great for peace in the house.  I can't do that with the 5150 or even the low-watt Orange amp I have now.

I did manage to get ONE (and only one) really great sound out of the Voodu Valve that is closest to the high gain tone in my head.  Getting it out of my head is the hard part.  If you still had your Voodu Valve, I could send you the preset.  BTW, I dig your tone on your songs, especially on "Happy to be Alive."  Kind of an updated big-80's sound, maybe?  Still not what I'm aiming for, though!

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 17:40:14 (permalink)
Saxon1066

In general, though, punk bands are not as concerned about tone as metal bands.  
Not sure why, but that sentence made me laugh - almost signature worthy material.  Hehe...

Parts of this thread reminded me that I have posted about why things sound different at lower volume levels here (the Fletcher-Munson curve).  On other forums, I used to have to repost it about once every six months, so I think I'll make a separate topic for that.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Saxon1066
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 17:51:35 (permalink)
Because it's silly, over-generalized B.S. while, at the same time, too obviously true to be stated.  (Sorry, Punkers!)
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 18:06:12 (permalink)
LOL Saxon, thanks for the kind words. I change up my tone for just about everything these days. Sometimes I like the poppy 80's type thing, other times I'm doing stuff that sounds a bit like Dream Theater. As a matter of fact, here's a little test clip of me actually doing a piece of a DT song called  A Right of Passage. Much heavier tone on this one. :) Still probably not to your liking, but it's a good representation of "high gain in control". LOL!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/AROPtestMaster16.mp3

Yeah I can relate though to capturing that sound you love. I've come up with quite a few ways to do it. One way which has always been good, it to stand in the actual sweet spot where you hear your cab the best and literally mic it there on a 45 degree angle. Most cabs (to me) sound the best at about 3-4 feet away...so sometimes I'll use that technique along with close mic'ing. Another thing to keep in mind...and this is the most important of all....

Quite a few guys have cabs that literally blow sound at their knees. What you think you hear with a cab being that low is not what you are really getting at all. All eqing for amps needs to be done with a cab that is at ear level at all times. This will make it much easier to cop the tone you hear coming out of the speakers. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone in my studio that supposedly loved their tone and then threw up repeatedly once we really listened to what they had. As soon as I raised the cab up and re-eq'd the amp, everything changed for the better. But being down low like it was, we tend to raise the high end because of all the bass that is going on while the cab is lower to the floor and out of ear range. So always try and eq at ear level if you can before you attempt to mic your cab. :)

Craig: I too laughed at the punk comment. I think part of what makes punk so cool is how much they really don't care about stuff as long as it's aggressive and has some "sizzle" to it. :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/08 18:09:22

My Site
Saxon1066
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 18:58:26 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

LOL Saxon, thanks for the kind words. I change up my tone for just about everything these days. Sometimes I like the poppy 80's type thing, other times I'm doing stuff that sounds a bit like Dream Theater. As a matter of fact, here's a little test clip of me actually doing a piece of a DT song called  A Right of Passage. Much heavier tone on this one. :) Still probably not to your liking, but it's a good representation of "high gain in control". LOL!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/AROPtestMaster16.mp3 

Now THAT is a killer tone!  If I could get that, I'd be content.  Of course, your playing has a lot to do with it.  I don't think the Voodu Valve is gonna get me there.  What amp are you using?  Care to share your recording chain?
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 19:39:43 (permalink)
Glad ya liked it, thanks. Sure I'll share the chain...anything to help someone out. :) They key on that tone...ready for this....is believe it or not, I'm using a Digitech 2101 tube pre-amp. The unit didn't do too well due to it being so tricky to use, you needed to spend about 3 months of your time getting it down. LOL! The presets that come with it didn't impress me at all, but I knew in my mind that with a little tweaking, this thing could be one heck of a pre-amp. It sounds really good through cabs or using the speaker sim it has.

But anyway, as far as the signal on that, XLR outs out of the 2101 using speaker sim internally on it into a Mackie 32x8 mixing board. No eq used....no board pre-amp used, a slight compressor at 1:5 taking out -2dB of gain, and right to my Layla 24/96 soundcard recorded at 24/48 at -6dB input.

From there, I like to create "Room within a room" impulses. The first impulse was used to sort of simulate the air between a mic and a cab just so it adds a little of that "live presence" so to speak. From there, another impulse is used on a bus and this impulse literally simulates the room the guitar is in. I compress the impulse pretty hard with a UAD 1176 plugin and I eq it. This bus is a send on the guitar tracks and I mix it in just right so it allows the room of the guitar to travel slighly outwards making it more lively yet we still have the up front direct type tone in there as well. There are 2 guitar tracks that make up that sound both recorded individually.

From there, both guitar track outputs are sent to a bus with a UAD Precision Bus compressor on it to make the guitars a little tighter taking out about -1.5dB of gain. I had to high pass these at 120hz just a bit and took out -2dB of 640hz. Nothing needed to be changed in the high end, so I left it as it was. That's pretty much it. Not too bad for a speaker sim sound.

The funny thing, if I mic this same tone, it sounds nearly the same as what you hear which is why I don't feel the need to mic my tones as much any more. The sound itself is modeled off of my mic'd tone using 2 SM 57's on 2 of my best speakers (where the paper of the speaker meets the cone on a 45 degree angle right up against the grill screen) on a 25 watt Greenback Marshall cab and a 421 at about 3 ft away on a 45 degree angle. Hope this helps. :)  
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/08 19:41:13

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 19:51:52 (permalink)
Saxon, here's another cool little idea for you in case you may be interested. I've been working with a company called Acme Bar Gig for about 2 years now helping to develope a guitar suite that will do anything and everything. The amp I've been working on for them is called "Skull Job" which is pretty much as close as I can get to my 2101 tone. This is a bit of a work in progress, but you can hear what I've come up with so far using this plug. We keep on changing the tone stack on it so I have to change this demo file like every month. LMAO! But this was the last one I put together. Sorry about the mix not sounding too good, I'm still not done with it...but you'll get the idea.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/Shred%20On%20II%20ABG%20Demo.mp3

You can check out Acme Bar Gig products on their website at www.acmebargig.com if you get a minute. Most of them are free. The one I've demo'd here is about $26 I believe...but you get a bunch of heads and options with it for that price. Honest I'm not trying to make you buy it, just give you an alternative for some stuff you can do with today's software. Heck I'm allowed to share the exe of this for free if you are interested. But if you buy it, you get all the beta versions past and present as well as the final release. So it's something to look into. :)

My Site
Saxon1066
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 20:24:46 (permalink)
Another great tone!

My band's vocalist has been swearing by Acme Bar Gig for at least a year!  I already have the site bookmarked, but haven't been able to look too far into it.  I will do so!  I don't mind supporting a good product by buying it.

I have no idea how to create an impulse.  I'd better stick with the software packages.  Thanks for all your help, man!

P.S.  The plug you demoed is "Head Case" for $26.35, right?  Great bargain for what you get.  Interesting that buyers also get to be beta testers, so your input/needs might go into the final product.
post edited by Saxon1066 - 2011/06/08 20:44:52
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 21:27:13 (permalink)
You're quite welcome. :) Ah I don't have a clue on how to create an impulse either. LOL! I just buy them and there are quite a few you can grab off the net for free that are really good too. Noizevault.com has some good ones. You just need an impulse loader like Perfect Space, Voxengo Pristine Space or if you use Waves, they have an IR loader that is awesome too. :) Glad some of this was helpful to you...best of luck.

My Site
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/08 22:12:30 (permalink)
Geez Danny - Fanstastic tones. Both examples. What you are doing with the impulses is really cool.  I like the fact that you can get these tones without traditional amps.  I love playing with amps but for recording I like using a dry signal and an amp sim.  It is so conveinient to record directly and then tweak later.  You've taken amp sims to a whole new level.  Amazing.

Geno
post edited by guitartrek - 2011/06/08 23:30:29
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/09 02:11:28 (permalink)
Thanks Geno, much appreciated. :) Yeah you can get some pretty cool sounds without using an amp. I would never say one is better than another to be honest...they are both just "different" really. The impulses can really make a difference as well as cab impulses. If you went on a mission to mic your cab and got a great sound, and then took that sound you recorded and studied it while experimenting with the tools we have today, chances are, you'd come up with something acceptable that not many people would be able to tell the difference in any way. We get so close to our tones, we can hear every little nuance. It takes something unbelievable for me to say "oh yeah, I so gotta use this because it makes a huge difference!"

Sure, there is a bit of a difference between my mic'd tone and my speaker sim tone using the same pre-amp. However, the mic'd tone isn't better or worse...it's different. The speaker sim sound (in the DT example) is the core of my tone which is the same sound coming out of my cab with a bit of a different timbre. It's so close it's not even worth me mic'n it. As long as I'm using 12AX7's in my pre, that's all I need. LOL! But hey, if you use a killer amp, that's cool too. As long as we get the sounds we're looking for, mission accomplished. Like that amp sim I'm working on for ABG. I know it will never sound like tubes...but I like the sound it puts out. It's a really good tranny sound that does a nice job and it compliments the way I play. That's when you know a tone is pretty good. It's not perfect, but what tone is? LOL! :)

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/11 06:10:58 (permalink)
Hey Saxon, I meant to share this with you before but forgot. I had a student that recently wanted to take part in some contest on YouTube. Well, he's a great player but extremely shy and as he was trying to make up his mind, he asked me what I would play to the backer they supplied. I'm trying to get him to do a mixture of feel, bends, nice vibrato and then scorch up some speed and tech to rip peoples heads off in the right places. Anyway, this was the one take solo I did for this to give him some food for thought. It's using that 2101 tube pre I was telling you about. Check out the pinch harmonic at 1:14....that's why I like 12ax7's better than tranny rigs and software plugs...they just have a "lash out at you" type tone and really accentuate harmonics where the tranny stuff doesn't seem to lash out as much other than with treble over-tones. Anyway, just thought you might enjoy this, man. Sorry to dig up this thread again. LOL.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/DannyFeel.mp3

My Site
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/11 09:16:59 (permalink)
Simply beautiful Danny... it sounds emotionally and harmonically engaged.

Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/11 20:06:58 (permalink)
I found useing a blend of a Audix I5 for close cab and a SE Ribbon R1 placed about about 2 -3 feet away captures a fantastic sound from most amps that  i have used

Not sure if this is of any help at but just thought I would put my findings out there Te I5s are cheaper than a Sm57 and I think there better If I am looking for a bit more of the room sound ar growel from the amp then I place the R1 in there.
 You can get the R1 from for about £150 the retail was £500 or I might be selling mine actualy to buy a Audix condenser to swap for the R1 if anyone wants it ?

I have fallen in love with Audix mics  !

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/12 07:37:27 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Simply beautiful Danny... it sounds emotionally and harmonically engaged.

Thanks so much brother Mike. :)

My Site
Saxon1066
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/14 17:14:17 (permalink)
My original question was undeniably noobish, but this thread ended up with some good information for those seeking high-gain tones.
Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/15 00:08:08 (permalink)
No way Saxon, the only bad question is the one that doesn't get asked brother. I think what you asked here originally was quite credible and something that is a bit of an art for people to get down when it comes to *their* sound. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, we can get A sound to sound good, but it may not be the sound you are hearing. And, sometimes "a good sound" isn't good enough.

Honest, a lot of this has to do with guys that use single cabs and eq their amps while the cab is blowing at their knees. They put a mic on it and wonder why it sounds like @ss. LOL! When that cab is low like that, it makes it sound like you have lots of low end because you can't really hear what's coming out unless you sit on the floor. When you raise the cab to ear level and eq it, you have a much better chance of mic'ing the sound you are hearing. I can't tell you how many times I've run into this with clients. And, add in the fact that sometimes digital recording isn't as forgiving as tape and you can really be in for a rude awakening. LOL!

I actually think this was a great question....seriously man. And to be honest, it's not a question I've ever seen asked. Most times it's "how do a I get a good guitar sound?" or "what's the best way to mic my cab?". I've never heard anyone ask "how do I record high-gain guitar as I hear it live?" until this thread. A very valid question in my opinion and one you got quite a few good answers on. :) Best of luck!

My Site
M@ B
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/15 00:52:00 (permalink)
hello,
thanks for reviving a great thread.

danny, you whail!

thanks again,
matt

Danny Danzi
Re: RE: How To Record High-Gain Guitar As I Hear it Live? 2011/06/15 09:09:13 (permalink)
Thank you very much, Matt. :)

My Site
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1