How can I do this in Sonar

Mic Breath Controller

http://youtu.be/aQDSkFs7WZ8

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road

MySoundClickPage

4 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:How can I do this in Sonar 2011/09/25 03:37:53 (permalink)
    It's not really controlling anything. He's blowing into his mic and using velocity strokes on his keyboard for dynamics.

To do this, create an audio track and record yourself blowing into a mic they way you would for a flute, sax, oboe, etc. either in real time or to the already created midi track. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:How can I do this in Sonar 2011/09/25 03:44:55 (permalink)
    I take that back...he IS controlling that! I saw the one part of the vid near the end where he taps on the mic and it is making it sound off. I thought for sure his fingers were going in sequence...but when he taps it, his right hand is not moving with the taps. Wow...no clue on how you'd do something like this...so forget what I said above if you want to control it that way. However, what I said above will work if you want a work-around for now until you can find out how the heck he's doing that. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How can I do this in Sonar 2011/09/25 04:06:05 (permalink)
    Hi Danny nice to see you over here too! I have got a little Yamaha CS01 synth with the breath controller and the amount of control it has over the sound is pardon the pun breathtaking.

You can do this in Fruity Loops would you believe. There is a special plugin that converts the envelope of the sound ie volume into a control signal and that can be routed to all matter of things. The blowing in the mic is really only making sound and it is being converted to a voltage that is controlling the cutoff frequency of the synth. It would work equally as well singing into it too.

The Yamaha breath controller is better because it right in your mouth and it offers some resistance to the air flow hence it is easier to play. Tounging effects are also picked up and can really effect the sound in many ways too.  I would love to see a plugin similar to FL Studio that takes the envelope of any sound and enables it to control stuff. There may be a third party plug out there that does it too not sure.

I would love to see a little box that accepts the Yamaha breath controller and sends out midi control data. Some of their synths do it of course but that is an overkill way to get that signal out.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Myuzishin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:How can I do this in Sonar 2011/09/25 14:01:02 (permalink)
    Well, a breath controller is an obvious option, and would plug right into my Motif. But I'm trying to avoid having to order one :-p I have a lotta stuff here, should be a way to do this with what I have already.

Danny, yeah I didn't really get it the first time I saw it either. Much like Jeff described above, that breath signal is converted into midi and used as a velocity control...real time. The mechanics of how to set something like that up in Sonar is what bafflin me....filters, routing, etc.

It sure would be neat, I have some very decent brass fonts I'd like to try it out on, and it would make programmin that stuff a breeze.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road

MySoundClickPage
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1