How can I get USB serial data into a MIDI file

Author
Coreysan
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2014/09/15 19:24:39 (permalink)

How can I get USB serial data into a MIDI file

I'd like to try the makeymakey board, and it sends its serial data to a USB port.

However, it would be helpful to convert that serial data so that I could use it in a MIDI file.

Does anyone know a way to do that? I do know a website that offers a software product for realtime conversion, so there's
a solution, but it's gonna cost.

Can Sonar do it? I'm not a MIDI programmer kinda guy, so I don't know what Im getting into!!!

Background:
makeymakey is a fun little digital board that allows you to create your own surfaces for sending data. Tap on a banana, for example, and it sends the conductive impulse through an alligator clip & wire to the board, and will trigger an event. The board uses a USB cable so you can plug into a USB port. But of course, my goal is to tap objects and create patterns for a MIDI drum track.

So once the serial data goes to the USB port, I need a way to capture the serial data and do whatever you do to get MIDI data!

3 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How can I get USB serial data into a MIDI file 2014/09/15 19:43:33 (permalink)
    It appears to be a device which acts like a regular PC keyboard albeit with less functionality. For SONAR to use a PC keyboard as a MIDI input device requires Virtual MIDI Controller software. There are a few free ones available on the internet. I don't know why one would spend $50 on another PC keyboard to create an inferior MIDI input device. Buy a MIDI keyboard instead.
    Anonymungus!
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: How can I get USB serial data into a MIDI file 2014/09/15 23:47:09 (permalink)
    I was looking into this subject recently myself. I have a nice MIDI controller (A-500 Pro), but I wanna try a device that I can tap with my fingers to send MIDI.  I can't tap those PADS on the keyboard, way too slow for my fingers.  I know with most any Sonar products, one could just mic & record audio taps, and then turn that into MIDI data. Let me know what you find out Corey. 

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: How can I get USB serial data into a MIDI file 2014/09/16 08:51:06 (permalink)
    That looks like a good way to fry your USB system. It probably has a lot of latency too. 
    As Scook said, a waste of $50 that could be better spent purchasing a used controller surface with Pads. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1