How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/26 19:10:49 (permalink)
Thanks for confirming... every now and then a feature I've been hoping for sneaks in and don't learn about it right away.

:-)

edit spelling
post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/03/27 08:56:30

F@ker
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 00:31:01 (permalink)
yeah, sorry; MS Paint mock up.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 01:22:32 (permalink)
Has anyone else noticed that Sonar X1 (and earlier) can't actually play a MIDI note that starts at 1:01:000 ? If I set up Bar 1 to be a four beat count-in, and then rewind to start and press PLAY, I do not hear the first beat.

Should work fine in most cases. Is this with hardware or software synths? If hardware, make sure you're not sending a patch change from the track header, as I've seen some synths ignore that first note while processing a patch change. If software, you might need to increase your Prepare Using buffer in Preferences for MIDI Playback and Recording.
MaestroGeek
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 302
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 01:36:37 (permalink)
F@ker

yeah, sorry; MS Paint mock up.

Awww...you got my hopes all up, only to just let me down.

Perhaps Cakewalk should take notice of something so simple. Yes, I've seen this topic pop up in the forum in the past and it always seems to just gets passed over as there being 'workarounds' to this issue. Well, 'workarounds' are great if there are no clear alternatives. I mean, with that logic, we've got plenty of 'workarounds' to forgo many features implemented in the current version of SONAR over the years.
I think having those 'negative' measures will make more...dare I say...'musical' sense.

SONAR X1c Producer; SCOPE 5; Windows 7 x64
PowerPulsar+PulsarPlus+PulsarSRB+A16 Ultra; DIGIMAX FS; MTP AV USB
Core2 Q9300+DP35DP+8GB PC6400 DDR2 DIMM+GeForce 8600 GT
MCU PRO; BCR2000; Lemur/Dexter
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 02:29:11 (permalink)
brundlefly

Has anyone else noticed that Sonar X1 (and earlier) can't actually play a MIDI note that starts at 1:01:000 ? If I set up Bar 1 to be a four beat count-in, and then rewind to start and press PLAY, I do not hear the first beat.

Should work fine in most cases. Is this with hardware or software synths? If hardware, make sure you're not sending a patch change from the track header, as I've seen some synths ignore that first note while processing a patch change. If software, you might need to increase your Prepare Using buffer in Preferences for MIDI Playback and Recording.

Soft-synth. SFZ player, actually. I use a two note SFZ file as my metronome. I've done this ever since the built-in metronome stopped working around tempo and time signature changes.

(That's the SONAR way, really, isn't? Feature doesn't work? Find a work-around, and don't look back.)

I haven't used a hardware synth for some time. I'll retest this and see if it is just an issue with softsynths. Thanks.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 15:38:12 (permalink)
stickman393

brundlefly

Soft-synth. SFZ player, actually. I use a two note SFZ file as my metronome. I've done this ever since the built-in metronome stopped working around tempo and time signature changes.

(That's the SONAR way, really, isn't? Feature doesn't work? Find a work-around, and don't look back.)

I haven't used a hardware synth for some time. I'll retest this and see if it is just an issue with softsynths. Thanks.

I'm not sure what might be causing the problem you are seeing, but I can't reproduce it. SFZ responds to MIDI at 1:01:000 without a hitch for me.

It shouldn't matter for soft synths (which are treated like audio, even though they're MIDI-driven), but are you running a non-zero Timing Offset value?

And I'm wondering what's the miinimum amount you have to push a MIDI event out from 1:01:000 to get a response from SFZ? Also, is it the same for all soft synths? And is it the same number of ticks at all tempos, or is it a fixed absolute time, regardless of tempo?

stickman393
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 17:09:22 (permalink)
brundlefly

stickman393

brundlefly

I'm not sure what might be causing the problem you are seeing, but I can't reproduce it. SFZ responds to MIDI at 1:01:000 without a hitch for me.

It shouldn't matter for soft synths (which are treated like audio, even though they're MIDI-driven), but are you running a non-zero Timing Offset value?

And I'm wondering what's the miinimum amount you have to push a MIDI event out from 1:01:000 to get a response from SFZ? Also, is it the same for all soft synths? And is it the same number of ticks at all tempos, or is it a fixed absolute time, regardless of tempo?

Brundle - 

Thanks for the questions. On closer examination, I have discovered the following:
  • Hardware synths work fine; the first MIDI note is being received and sounded completely.
  • The SFZ player *is* responding to the first MIDI note, but the first part of the "click" waveform is not being played. I can actually hear the last short decay of the sound, but the initial "click" is being swallowed - perhaps by the SONAR audio engine not quite being ready to play back.
  • The same effect occurs with a different softsynth - for example, I switched from SFZ to Session Drummer 3 : Only the decay of the initial note playback is heard.
  • If I move the initial note +45 ticks away from beat 1 of the first bar, I believe I am now hearing the full click. The closer to 1:01:000 I move the note, the more is bitten off the initial attack of the playback.
  • I tried varying the tempo of the project from 60 bpm to 160 bpm but it was hard to get a definitive answer. I think that slower bpms reduced the number of ticks required to offset the first note in order to hear the full attack, but it is very subjective. I am willing to say that it is my opinion that the delay time is absolute in millisecs, not ticks. If this is related to the audio engine warming up, then that makes sense I think. 
  • This effect is not noticeable in a rendered, exported WAV file. The full attack of the click is audible, even when the note is at 1:01:000. Therefore, this effect happens on playback in an open SONAR project only (which, of course, is when I want the click to be audible :) )
  • If I quadruple the size of my ASIO playback buffers from 512 to 2048, this does not seem to alter the results.

And final test:
  • If I bounce-to-track, and then solo the rendered track, I hear the same thing, the intial attack of the first click is truncated; but if I then move the rendered audio clip out to start at measure 2, I hear the full attack. So the rendering is correct, but the waveform playback at 1:01:000 is still truncating.

So that's all interesting.

Sonar X1B (32bit); Windows 7 (64bit); Echo Layla 3G PCI.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 17:33:02 (permalink)
This should be no problem to "cure" by the Bakers ... unless ... (I leave this bit open for Cake to fill in :-)

How's this: An attribute called "offset" (as someone said) in Preferences where you could enter any number.  Whatever number you enter is deducted from Bar 1, i.e. if you put 4 in, then all bar numbering is moved to the right and you get  -3, -2, -1, 0, 1 etc.

Flexible, and should cover most cases (I say "most" as there'll always be at least one disagree-er :-)  Obvioulsy, this would also need to be reflected in printouts and all displays, etc.
This subject of ruler offset was discussed here and a feature request was submitted.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 18:12:39 (permalink)
I have mentioned this before but why cannot people simply start a production at 2.01.000 instead of attempting to start at 1.01.000 What is the big deal here, I cannot see it.

Anyone who attempts to start music right on 1.01.000 is tempting fate a bit. For a start, tracks that have been advanced may not get played and when a sequencer actually starts up right on 1.01.000 there are a few tasks that need to be done which might get in the way of music sounding off correctly.

By simply putting your music at 2.01.000 or later you avoid a raft of problems then. I know its nice for printing out music etc to have everything starting at bar 1 but musicians are not fussed about bar numbers in general.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 20:01:12 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

I have mentioned this before but why cannot people simply start a production at 2.01.000 instead of attempting to start at 1.01.000 What is the big deal here, I cannot see it.
Actually I find any project that has stuff not starting at multiples of 4, 8 or 16 annoying. That said, I tend to start my projects at bar 17 or 33 so I have no problems with the fact that SONAR doesn't have negative bars/beats.
Anyone who attempts to start music right on 1.01.000 is tempting fate a bit. For a start, tracks that have been advanced may not get played and when a sequencer actually starts up right on 1.01.000 there are a few tasks that need to be done which might get in the way of music sounding off correctly.
Which tasks does it have to do that it doesn't have to do if you start a project midway?
By simply putting your music at 2.01.000 or later you avoid a raft of problems then.
I don't see how this is the case. I don't see what difference it makes to the sequencer where you press start. If you start at bar 1 with music starting immediately or if you have your Now Time set to the beginning of the Chorus and press play, it should give the same list of tasks to perform and the same load on the DAW...

UnderTow

pathos
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 20:23:53 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

By simply putting your music at 2.01.000 or later you avoid a raft of problems then. I know its nice for printing out music etc to have everything starting at bar 1 but musicians are not fussed about bar numbers in general.

I agree, one problem being with bouncing tracks with vsti's or audio tacks with fx's or any note number info starting directly on 1.01.000
I always set the bounce 'start' pre the initial starting measure or time.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 21:16:42 (permalink)
Hi Undertow I agree that it should be the same starting a piece at 1.01.000 or a later time but for some and I am not sure of those reasons myself, it is not the same. With some sequencers I have worked with, I have found that starting right at the very start just kicks off a tiny bit later. Why one could ask. Sonar and Studio One seem to start off the bat at 1.01.00 but even with Sonar I have found that sometimes the very first metronome click wont sound for some reason. I have also had some of my external hardware synths not do something they should have as well at this position. But at all later positions there were no problems. So simply, there is a difference between starting at 1.01.000 and any later time. I wish I knew what it was, but if some things happen or don't happen at 1.01.000 and all is well at a later position then it must be deduced there is a reason.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/03/27 21:35:13 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Hi Undertow I agree that it should be the same starting a piece at 1.01.000 or a later time but for some and I am not sure of those reasons myself, it is not the same. With some sequencers I have worked with, I have found that starting right at the very start just kicks off a tiny bit later. Why one could ask. Sonar and Studio One seem to start off the bat at 1.01.00 but even with Sonar I have found that sometimes the very first metronome click wont sound for some reason. I have also had some of my external hardware synths not do something they should have as well at this position. But at all later positions there were no problems. So simply, there is a difference between starting at 1.01.000 and any later time. I wish I knew what it was, but if some things happen or don't happen at 1.01.000 and all is well at a later position then it must be deduced there is a reason.
Strange... As I said, I tend to start at 17 or 33 so I don't encounter this behaviour. Ah well...

UnderTow

Compguy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/05 22:50:54 (permalink)
F@ker, you are the devil himself!

LOL, my heart almost skipped a beat when I saw your mockup and I was wondering if I could do that in 8.5 (because I've retired X1).

For all you guys who don't see the use of a pre-roll, every guitarist knows that his playing begins significantly before zero. It would be nice to have a one or two measure preroll so that measures would be numbered realistically (instead of with a one or two measure offset. Personally, I want to know that measure one is actually measure one, and so on.
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/05 23:04:15 (permalink)
I would like to have the measure number match up with the sheet music, so I can read the sheet music as I listen to playback, and go to measure x where the error is etc.  To do this, I would need to be able to specify negative measure numbers at the beginning.  I support the feature request for a custom offset.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
F@ker
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/06 00:27:30 (permalink)
it really does seem simple; when you select an offset, the globally displayed measure would reflect the measure minus the offset, thereafter, any input references to a measure would add the offset respectively; no internal changes, just what is displayed.
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/06 00:46:00 (permalink)
SimonFenner

Because musically you are starting in measure 1, but you are not using all of the beats in the measure. If you think about it how can you record music into a measure before measure 1? It's just not possible cos it doesn't exist. So the DAW is not at fault. It's no different to playing live where the drummer gives you a count in and you start before he has completed this!

You'll just have to accept that some of your songs will have some silent beats in measure 1.

+1 - This supposed "annoyance" never gave anyone a moment's pause before our modern recording programs.  Many pieces of music begin with a pause.  Measure #1 can be, for instance -1-2-3-4-AND (first note/word) then measure 2 starts.  It's incorrect to think that first mostly silent measure isn't part of the piece/song.  And that's why it doesn't make any sense to think a DAW is supposed to somehow completely re- write the history of music and now decide that measure 2 is actually measure 1.  hehe.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/06 01:32:38 (permalink)
rbowser

+1 - This supposed "annoyance" never gave anyone a moment's pause before our modern recording programs.  Many pieces of music begin with a pause.  Measure #1 can be, for instance -1-2-3-4-AND (first note/word) then measure 2 starts.  It's incorrect to think that first mostly silent measure isn't part of the piece/song.  And that's why it doesn't make any sense to think a DAW is supposed to somehow completely re- write the history of music and now decide that measure 2 is actually measure 1.  hehe.

Randy B.
That's not what we're mainly discussing here, AFAIU. Beginning a song with a pause is not the question here. People want to have count-in bars for example to make sure that plugins are "awake" when they're needed or to be able to use a click-track with a count-in or they find it easier to visually follow the start of the recording and for various other reasons.

Having bar-numbering follow sheet-music is a strong argument. Also, as I mentioned earlier, when a song follows certain cycle of bars it's easier to cope with when you can follow the bar-numbering you see, without doing extra calculations.

There aren't many features that are asked for as freguently as this, and it can not be very difficult to apply.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/06 12:27:55 (permalink)
I had recent experience with this.  I took home the recording to listen for places that needed editing.  I noted them on the score.  I went back to the studio and the engineer said, where is the first edit?  I said, measure 35.  He figured out that would be 38 for him.  And so on, always having to shift the measure number I gave him.  Small thing?  Yes.  Annoyance that need not be?  Yes.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
LJB
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/06 12:53:58 (permalink)
Also, it makes it hard to "guess" how long the piece actually is. And to convince the client that it's actually 30s, not 32s or whatever. +1 for -2 and more :O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 10:04:21 (permalink)
This is for stickman (missing the attack of the first note). Have you set the option for fade on start in the playback and record preferences dialog?
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 13:23:50 (permalink)
dantarbill

If you are sequencing against printed music that already has measure numbers, it would be way handy to have the numbers match up instead of having to add an offset.

I for one, would love the option of starting on measure zero (or -1 or -2 for that matter).
+1 in spades!  The computer can do the math way faster than I can and will never make the kind of mistake I might when I'm toasted ... er ... tired.
chaunceyc
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 13:56:49 (permalink)
+1.  I'm sick of having to manually calculate the 1 bar offset for bars 33, 65, etc. Change the label of the first measure to zero and I'd be happy.  Anything that pushes or pulls the beat is always going to be slightly ahead of the measure mark anyway, so I'm fine having it start on the "second" measure, but would like the numbers to align with normal notation and or dance/remix conventions 8/16/32 etc.

PC AudioLabs Rokbox 7 (Core i7 3.40GHz, Gigabyte Z-68, 20 GB Ram, Windows 10 64-bit), MOTU 2408 Mk II / PCI-424, UAD-2. Sonar Professional,

Soulphonic Soundsystem (soulphonicsound.com)
Convincing Woodgrain | Portland USA
nujazz/brokenbeat/neo-soul/downtempo/deep house
www.soundcloud.com/chaunceyc
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 16:26:20 (permalink)
I have a potential solution that would be easy to implement without having to risk modifying any existing code (i.e changing the current MBT implementation).

Basically Sonar could allow you to add another timeline format along with the presently offered MBT, HMSF, etc.  This would be displayed along the timeline just as you currently do any of those other existing formats.  Any combination of these can appear, just as we can do with MBT, HMSF, etc.

I'd suggest a name like OMBT (for offset MBT).  And the offset is a value stored per project somewhere in the preferences.

The advantage here is that the internal code that supports the present MBT implementation would not need to change.  Of course this only changes the timeline display in the tracks and not in the other windows (like Event View and the dedicated Piano Roll etc.), but in those cases they could include the OMBT as well.

At least it would help with those infernal calculations when comparing the DAW readings to some printed music.  I may be a maths major, but I was never very good at arithmetic ;-)
Kev999
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 18:14:53 (permalink)
VariousArtist

I have a potential solution that would be easy to implement without having to risk modifying any existing code (i.e changing the current MBT implementation).

Basically Sonar could allow you to add another timeline format along with the presently offered MBT, HMSF, etc.  This would be displayed along the timeline just as you currently do any of those other existing formats.  Any combination of these can appear, just as we can do with MBT, HMSF, etc.

I'd suggest a name like OMBT (for offset MBT).  And the offset is a value stored per project somewhere in the preferences.

The advantage here is that the internal code that supports the present MBT implementation would not need to change.  Of course this only changes the timeline display in the tracks and not in the other windows (like Event View and the dedicated Piano Roll etc.), but in those cases they could include the OMBT as well.
Great idea.  Another alternative would be to allow a second (user-definable) timeline in addition to the existing (fixed) one.  Here's a more elaborate suggestion:  

Allow the user to create as many timeline rulers as he/she wishes.  Each ruler can be assigned a start and finish point and it will only be displayed between these points.  It can also be assigned a name and a colour.  Rulers can be created to represent the different sections of a song, e.g. verse, chorus, middle-8 or whatever.  You may want to adopt a colour scheme (e.g. choruses red, verses blue) so that the structure of the song will be clearly visible in Track View.  When editing in PRV, it will be obvious which part of the song you are looking at by the colour and name of the ruler.  And of course, the start point of a ruler can be set as any integer.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 18:51:12 (permalink)
Try setting a count in beat of 1 to 2 measures. Or physically count it in after hitting record aiming for the start of the third measure. When you mix it all down it won't matter and it'll give the flexibility of starting the mixdown anywhere within the first two measures.

Craig DuBuc
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/07 19:07:02 (permalink)
Kev999

VariousArtist

Great idea.  Another alternative would be to allow a second (user-definable) timeline in addition to the existing (fixed) one.  Here's a more elaborate suggestion:  

Allow the user to create as many timeline rulers as he/she wishes.  Each ruler can be assigned a start and finish point and it will only be displayed between these points.  It can also be assigned a name and a colour.  Rulers can be created to represent the different sections of a song, e.g. verse, chorus, middle-8 or whatever.  You may want to adopt a colour scheme (e.g. choruses red, verses blue) so that the structure of the song will be clearly visible in Track View.  When editing in PRV, it will be obvious which part of the song you are looking at by the colour and name of the ruler.  And of course, the start point of a ruler can be set as any integer.

I like the idea of colour-coded sections.  In fact, I believe I saw this feature in Pro Tools and it made a lot of sense to me.  When there's a lot going on screen-wise, these kinds of visual cues can really assist and since I already make heavy use of markers I would welcome colour-coding here.  Having the ability to include my own starting point for measure numbers in this would be a great bonus.  There are probably lots of uses here, and a simple example would be some instruction you might want to give such as "...start the delay in the third measure of every chorus".  With your additional feature this would be a piece of cakewalk...
MZmuda
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2011/06/09 00:28:24 (permalink)
Count me in! (Pun intended.) But seriously... this would be a great feature.
Treppenwitz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2012/08/01 17:51:51 (permalink)
This is another reason why Sonar trails the industry in terms of music-to-picture. Say your first cue (bar 1 beat 1) begins at SMTPE time 1:00:10:00 but the start of the video is at 1:00:00:00. This is very common if your video has an academy leader pre-roll before your downbeat. Sonar has no way to slide the video on the timeline, so you have to make the SMTPE time match up with Bar 1 Beat 1. Every professional DAW which does music-to-picture allows you to define your first-measure downbeat at an arbitrary place along the time line. Sonar does not. 

I've had to move on to other DAWs which work much better as post-production tools. I cut my teeth in Sonar, but this missing feature is another indication of how Sonar continues to ignore the needs of people working with music-to-picture.
Kev999
Re:How come DAWs can't do a "below zero" start? 2012/08/02 06:49:37 (permalink)

Here is a refinement of the above suggestion.  

Keep the existing timeline as it stands, but also have an additional customisable timeline.  This second timelime can be divided up as required by the user to represent different sections of the song, e.g. intro, verses, choruses, bridges or whatever.  Each section can be assigned a colour and a starting number which could be 1 or 0 or some offset.  It could also be assigned a name or descriptive piece of text.  When zoomed out the sections of the song would be obvious by the colours.  When zoomed in it would be easy to see that you were looking at say the 6th bar of the 2nd chorus.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1