Helpful ReplyHow could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth?

Author
LWD19821483
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2017/06/03 12:27:15 (permalink)

How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth?

Hi, when I load up a midi track, and plug my midi from my synth to my audio interface, I have a midi connection it's just that in Sonar Pro it plays like some kind of default piano.  I thought it could be a way that it plays your hardware synth sounds, what do I need to setup to get it to do that?

Thanks,

LWD
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/03 12:41:53 (permalink)
Hi. To do that, you need to connect your synth via audio cables to your Audio Interface, and record the Audio.
You can also record the MIDI first, and edit it before you record the Audio.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

LWD19821483
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/03 13:25:56 (permalink)
so its not synchronous? 
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/03 13:58:20 (permalink)
LWD19821483
so its not synchronous? 

Yes its synchronous as far as syncing midi, but what Zargg is saying, which is correct is, you are only going to hear your hardware synth sounds through your synths "audio" outputs.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/03 18:59:57 (permalink)
OK I am confused, and I think I am not the only one. If you have a MIDI connection to your audio interface, it is not an audio connection but a MIDI interface built into your audio interface. I think what you are trying to do is to play a MIDI track in SONAR to control the output in your external hardware synth (since softsynths have no physical MIDI connections). If that is the case, and you are hearing any output from your external synth (and it would be helpful to learn where that sound output is entering the atmosphere from), then the problem is to get your hardware synth to interpret the MIDI input coming from SONAR on channel X to be playing the instrument you want to hear on your synth. Typically that requires settings in the synth either physically or by transmitting MIDI patch or other messages.

But before going much further, realize that asking a meaningful question generally requires far more work than answering one. Take the thirty or forty minutes needed to trace and write down exactly what physical equipment you are using, how it is physically connected, and how your SONAR internal routing is set up, exactly what you are trying to do with what make and model of equipment, in such way that someone who has no idea what you are talking about will understand, and then post it here. Often just doing that exercise will clarify the problem for you. 
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/03 21:01:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LWD19821483 2017/06/04 04:08:28
Yes as said above it's not clear what your trying to do and how it is connected.

You do say your hear a piano but then who knows, that could be your midi output is sending to MS wavetable .

The list: 

In preferences/ midi/ devices/ select your audio interface as output. 
Set the output of the Sonar midi track to the interface midi port
Make sure your midi cable is from the OUTPUT of interface to the INPUT of the synth. 
Make sure your hardware synth is set to receive the midi channel your sending
Monitor the hardware synth by plugging the audio outputs into your interfaces line inputs which will also allow you to record it to an audio track.

This is all only worthwhile if the hardware is unique and cannot be duplicated by a soft synth. If you make any changes to the song or the midi track you have to re record the audio again, and again. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

LWD19821483
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/04 04:17:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the input you all, 

Cactus music, I do believe that it is sending out a wavetable piano.  How do I get it not to send out the wavetable piano, and possibly recognize my synth as a sound module of some sort, hope that wasn't too vague... thanks

LWD

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: How could I get Sonar Pro to recognize my synth? 2017/06/04 08:53:03 (permalink)
What's the synth? I ask because if it's a "General MIDI" one that emulates "real" instruments that's different to e.g. a Korg MS-20, a GM synth might be playing the piano sound.... It would also help to know if the synth's a keyboard or a sound module.

Basicall you need to activate the MIDI port(s) on your audio interface in Sonar's preferences. Unless the synth does MIDI over USB when you need to connect the USB and select that as the MIDI ports.

Then create a MIDI track with the input being either the synth (if it has a keyboard) or your keyboard controller. Or no particular input at all if you work by drawing notes in the piano-roll view, step sequencer or staff view. The track output needs to point to whatever the output MIDI port in your interface is. The track and the synth must be on the same MIDI channel. That should get MIDI working. If the synth has a keyboard switch it to "local off" so it responds only to the MIDI that's passed through Sonar or it will duplicate notes.

The synth audio output(s) need to be connected to audio inpouts on the audio interface and routed to an audio track(s) in Sonar. You can hear whet you play either by enabling the audio track's echo function or by using whatever method the audio interface uses to send incoming audio out to monitors/headphones.

All this would be much easier to explain if we knew what you're using....

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1