How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE?

Author
CK97
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2011/08/24 05:24:55 (permalink)

How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE?

Hi.

I'm a registered newbie with SONAR LE.

I want to use VST Instruments with SONAR LE.

I don't have any VST plug-ins.
I don't have a software synthesizer.

How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? How do I get VST plug-ins?

(It seems this post allows me to attach one picture only - I will try to attach the rest below)

I hope someone can help me.

Attached Image(s)

19 Replies Related Threads

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 05:31:32 (permalink)
    Another pic.

Attached Image(s)

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 05:38:21 (permalink)
    Another picture.
    I don't see a VST Option under Global Options.

Attached Image(s)

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 06:45:31 (permalink)
    Should there be a VST option in Options > Global ?? I don't remember. I'm not at my DAW. If you think VSTs are opened via Options dialogue I recommend reading the Help file.

You insert soft synths via Insert-dialog (LE does not have Synth Rack AFAIK???) or/ and VST effects by right clicking in the FX bin of the track.

You don't say what version of SONAR LE you have. IIRC the older versions surely did not include the basic workhorse synth TTS-1, which is unforgivable. So I don't know what you have in your LE.

There are lots of free and commercial FX and synths at www.kvraudio.com

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 08:31:54 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

You don't say what version of SONAR LE you have. IIRC the older versions surely did not include the basic workhorse synth TTS-1, which is unforgivable. So I don't know what you have in your LE.

Hey thanks for responding!

Version? On the CD is just written SONAR LE, with a date 2005.
    I got SONAR LE when I purchased a ROLAND product.

Attached is a picture of the synths.

Attached Image(s)

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 08:35:30 (permalink)
    And another pic.

Attached Image(s)

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 08:46:07 (permalink)
    But my SONAR LE does come with something called "Cakewalk VST Adapter 4".

See attached pic.

(Thanks for the link, I'll check it out)

Attached Image(s)

Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 17:05:22 (permalink)
    CK97

But my SONAR LE does come with something called "Cakewalk VST Adapter 4".

However, but it does not mean that there is an VST option in the Options-dialogue.
    The Options dialogue has nothing to do with loading VSTs.

I have the VST adapter in my SONAR 4 but I don't remember how it's used, because newer SONARs don't need it.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 17:07:51 (permalink)
    Forgot to add:
    Please give your system specs. For example the DXsynths don't work in 64 bit environment.

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 20:24:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for coming back to me.

Kalle Rantaaho

However, but it does not mean that there is an VST option in the Options-dialogue.
    The Options dialogue has nothing to do with loading VSTs.

I see that now. (I looked in the Options-dialogue because I read at the link http://www.homemusician.net/articles/using_vst_with_sonar_page1.html to click on Options=>Global and then select VST Plugins tab, but I see now that you're right - it has nothing to do with the version I have. )
    Kalle Rantaaho

Please give your system specs. For example the DXsynths don't work in 64 bit environment.

Thanks, that's good to know as I plan to upgrade soon. I presently work in a 32 bit environment, running Windows XP Home.

In the mean time, since my last post above, I have at least achieved the following.
    I found the following link and successfully downloaded Free VST plug-ins from Cakewalk Product Support by Roland.

Free VST plug-ins

I chose the folder C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins to install it to (I don't know if it matters which folder to install it in).
    Then I clicked Start\All Programs\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST Adapter 4.
    When the "Welcome to Cakewalk VST Adapter Configuration Wizard" box appeared, I clicked "Next"
    and when the "VST Plug-In Search Paths" box appeared I clicked "Add" and then the picture in the attachment below appeared.

post edited by CK97 - 2011/08/25 09:53:46

Attached Image(s)

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 20:30:42 (permalink)
    I then clicked on Local Disk (C:), then Program Files, then Cakewalk, then Shared Plugins (because that's where I installed the Free VST plug-ins I downloaded from Cakewalk Product Support by Roland, as described in my previous post above) and then I clicked OK.
    Then I clicked "Next" and the following Plug-ins showed up - see attached picture below.

Attached Image(s)

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 20:38:33 (permalink)
    I then configured the plug-ins one by one after selecting one plug-in at a time and then clicking on Properties.
    After having configured each plug-in I then clicked "Next" and the "Finished" box appeared with the message "Your VST plug-ins were configured successfully, and are now available to your DirectX applications". I clicked "Finish".

I then opened SONAR LE, clicked "Insert" and then "DXi Synth", and look at the following picture below ! I now have 11 plug-ins where I previously had only two plug-ins (compare to my picture in my post #6 above). I am happy !  I will try to see tomorrow what happens next.

Thanks for your help so far.
    post edited by CK97 - 2011/08/24 20:58:45

Attached Image(s)

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/24 22:45:00 (permalink)

You're moving in the right direction, CK.
     I would suggest starting with Triangle II. It has some decent presets to get you up and running.
    Cheese Machine, Delay Lama, DreamStation, and triangle are synths. Cyclone is a sample player(if memory serves, you have no included samples to play with), and the others are effects.
    Here's the basic routine you will use with most all soft synths:
    Click Insert>DX Synth>[synth]
    In the pop-up box, select:
    MIDI Source Track (This is where your notes are recorded from a controller or input via the Piano Roll).
    First Synth Audio Output(This is where the audio output from the synth returns to Sonar).
    Synth Properties Page (This is the synth GUI, and is where you interact with the actual synth).
    By inserting the synth this way, everything you need is there, and is automatically linked together.
    if you are listening with headphones, keep the volume fairly low. Triangle is pretty civil, but Dreamstation in particular is capable of some incredibly piercing sounds.
    Just out of curiosity, what Roland product did you get?
    Sonar 4LE is a bit long in the tooth, but is well suited to run in the XP environment.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/29 19:38:23 (permalink)
      Hi RobertB. Thanks for your response! "Sonar 4LE is a bit long in the tooth, but is well suited to run in the XP environment." Do I have Sonar4LE? I don't know which version I have. I see at the top left of the screen (see attached image at post #12 above) is written "SONAR1" and as mentioned in post #5 above, the date "2005" is printed on my SONAR LE installation CD. "Just out of curiosity, what Roland product did you get?" I bought a Roland JUNO-G a few years ago and worked with it without SONAR LE, because I did not have a PC until recently. The other day the LED screen of my JUNO stopped functioning, so with lack of cash to have it repaired and with my mind full of music ideas, I scratched out the SONAR LE CD and decided to learn to work with SONAR LE and software synths. "I would suggest starting with Triangle II. ... Here's the basic routine you will use with most all soft synths: ..." Thanks for your suggestion and tutorial bearing with my beginning phase of learning my first computer digital audio workstation ! Besides the Triangle II synth that was included in the Free VST Plug-ins that I downloaded from http://www.cakewalk.com/S.../reader.aspx/20090918, (Free VST plug-ins) I also downloaded Triangle DXi from the same page as the aforesaid link, and then noticed that the Triangle II synth included in the Free VST Plug-ins that I downloaded, looked different than the Triangle DXi synth I downloaded from the same page. I also found another Triangle II synth download at http://www.kvraudio.com/db/triangle_ii_by_cakewalk (T2111), that looked different to the above two mentioned Triangle II synths. See the attached images below to see the differences in appearance between the three. I installed all three of them, including a user manual that automatically came with it. I wonder why they all look different to eachother and what the differences are ... Thanks for your support. At least I got sounds now ! Strange sounds and cool to tweak and play with, but ... where are the drums, bass guitars, strings, brass instruments, wooden instruments, organs, pianos, etc. ?

Attached Image(s)

CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/29 19:48:37 (permalink)
    CK97
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/29 19:50:19 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/29 21:30:18 (permalink)
    Some synths use a generic GUI if one is not provided with the synth. I'm trying to remember where I read that. The second 2 images look like the GUI of my Triangle II.
    What other synths do you have? Edirol VSC? DreamStation DXi?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    57Gregy
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/29 23:35:30 (permalink)
    I recommend Proteus VX. It's a dynamite synth with over 1,200 patches and they sound great.
    Creative (Sound Blaster) doesn't have the link for the free download but I found it here:
    http://en.audiofanzine.com/partner/a.proteusvx.html
    You'll have to register on their site. I don't know if it's a legal copy, though.
    I downloaded it on my Win 7 64-bit computer and it works in standalone mode, but I can't get it to scan in SONAR. The scanner keeps hanging up (not responding).
    Works great on my XP DAW computer, an original download a few years ago from the Creative web site.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/30 18:39:23 (permalink)
    +1 to ProteusVX.
    It works well in XP, if you have at least 1Gb RAM. It will not function properly on a system with only 512 Mb RAM.
    You can also download it directly from E-MU here:
    http://www.creative.com/emu/proteusvx/

Download the manual, too.
    As Greg mentioned, it has plenty of sounds, including variations on many of the instruments you are looking for.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    Re:How do I get VST instruments for SONAR LE? 2011/08/30 23:16:54 (permalink)
    Where did you find it at Creative, Bob? I looked all over for it and they have no apparent search function.
    Or did you already have the link? I do, too, now.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2011/08/31 00:03:20

Greg 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1