How do I get vocals the same volume?

Author
DW_Mike
Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6907
2007/04/21 18:00:47 (permalink)

How do I get vocals the same volume?

Hi all.

I recorded a singer and we did 4 takes so we could pick and choose which parts we liked from each track. The problem is that the guy is not a top notch singer and the strength of his vocals vary, not only from track to track but also through out each track. So when I combined all the new parts, the volume and attack from clip to clip is not matching. I'm using Sonar 6 and want to know if there is a way to fix this problem. Does the normalize feature fix this (from what I've read, it dosent seem like it). Or do I have to do it in V-vocal clip by clip?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.

18 Replies Related Threads

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/21 18:26:09 (permalink)
    Sonar 6.2 has a meter to measure average levels (I think, I'm using 4 still). You should try to match them by using the volume control. Normalization only affects peak levels so that won't help you.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/21 19:41:00 (permalink)
    If the level differences are huge, use Process -> Audio -> Gain to make gross adjustments and get them in the ballpark. This won't be necessary if they're within, say, 10db of each other.

To level out from clip to clip, use a volume envelope.

For individual words or syllables, use V-Vocal. If you're planning to do pitch correction with V-Vocal you might as well go in and level things out a little at the same time. If a few peaks remain, like overly-loud/harsh "S"s or "T"s, try using the multiband compressor - just 5KHz and up -- with a fast attack.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/21 20:02:32 (permalink)
    Next time you track his vocals, use a compressor on the way in. Carefully used, it'll keep the dynamics within a more usable range, without even being noticable.
    DW_Mike
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/21 22:30:54 (permalink)
    Thanks alot guys. Yeah, the differences are within 10db's. envelopes it is. and next time I'll try a little compression..."carefully"

Thanks again
    Mike

GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/22 18:38:27 (permalink)
    i usually use clip gain envelopes to fix vocals (my own, since i only record myself ) when they are too dynamic. the reason i use clip gain envelopes is because they are pre-fader (pre-everything if i understand correctly) which means the adjustments you make are actually non-destructively fixing the clip itself. if you use a track output volume envelope, your changes are applied post-fader and if memory serves, post-send as well. so all the reverbs/choruses/whatever on the vocals will still be triggering off the original, unfixed sound. now if you route all your tracks to buses and don't have any sends on the tracks themselves (something else that i typically do) then it doesn't really matter if you do clip gain or track envelope or even bus send volume. just something to be aware of when using envelopes.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/22 21:18:50 (permalink)
    Yeah I agree with Jack: clip-gain env's all the way. Outboard compression is a choice but, recording at 24 bit (and not having any outboard gear !), I never bother.
    DW_Mike
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/22 22:53:09 (permalink)
    Thanks , I do have FX on the track so I think I'll go with the clip gain envelopes. good thing I checked back here before getting to work.

Mike

GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/04/26 10:10:29 (permalink)
    Gain Envelopes are your friend !!!!!!

JavaMan
    Josephusmusic.com
    Jonny M
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/06 06:52:51 (permalink)
    I'd go for compression in the effects bin to correct it. I wouldn't use volume clips because that's only going to solve the actual 'volume' of the vocal. It will kill the natural velocity changes in a vocal if you just have the volume going up and down over parts that would be naturally more powerful.
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/09 23:22:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonny M

I'd go for compression in the effects bin to correct it. I wouldn't use volume clips because that's only going to solve the actual 'volume' of the vocal. It will kill the natural velocity changes in a vocal if you just have the volume going up and down over parts that would be naturally more powerful.
    Naturally there's a million ways to skin this, but I'd be inclined to think that with gain envelopes you would tend to be moving in much longer blocks of time. To my mind that could actually preserve the smaller natural changes (vs compression).
    Once the bigger 'errors are out of the way, (not every nook and cranny -that'd be too much work anyway) the comp settings options actually open up I think -not being locked into doing slow rides', or pulling what's at the 'right level' down to catch the holes.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/10 16:31:35 (permalink)
    You know, if you want to make your life a little easier...

Next time - stick some duct tape down on the floor and mark the spot where the singer's standing, exactly. Each time they step up to the mic for another take, make them stand in exactly the same spot. It's a simple thing but you'd be surprised how much less fiddling you'll end up doing in the end...

And don't let 'em bob and weave around while they sing!
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/10 18:21:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mixsit

Naturally there's a million ways to skin this, but I'd be inclined to think that with gain envelopes you would tend to be moving in much longer blocks of time. To my mind that could actually preserve the smaller natural changes (vs compression).
    Once the bigger 'errors are out of the way, (not every nook and cranny -that'd be too much work anyway) the comp settings options actually open up I think -not being locked into doing slow rides', or pulling what's at the 'right level' down to catch the holes.

i agree - it's best to control unnatural dynamics (uneven performance) with clip envelopes and natural dynamics with compression. probably exceptions to the rule but that's why they are called exceptions. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/11 10:51:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

ORIGINAL: mixsit

i agree - it's best to control unnatural dynamics (uneven performance) with clip envelopes and natural dynamics with compression. probably exceptions to the rule but that's why they are called exceptions. =)

Sounds good to me. Just call me mister volume envelope. I enable automation and use my Mackie control to ride the fader so to speak. Automation in Pro Tools might be a bit different than in Sonar (or at least the version I'm on)

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    jonespnice1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/11 19:25:10 (permalink)
    Yes automation is the best solution. It may be time consuming but it will serve you well.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/11 21:18:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: themidiroom
    Sounds good to me. Just call me mister volume envelope. I enable automation and use my Mackie control to ride the fader so to speak. Automation in Pro Tools might be a bit different than in Sonar (or at least the version I'm on)

i don't have a control surface but automation is one thing in sonar that could improve. for example, whenever i actually do a clip gain envelope i want four nodes for every adjustment so i'm not messing with the rest of the clip. at the very least i need two nodes so as not to skew the clip previous to the first node. but every time i have to manually add all the nodes... ugh.

- jack the ex-cynic
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/05/11 22:16:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic
    i don't have a control surface but automation is one thing in sonar that could improve. for example, whenever i actually do a clip gain envelope i want four nodes for every adjustment so i'm not messing with the rest of the clip. at the very least i need two nodes so as not to skew the clip previous to the first node. but every time i have to manually add all the nodes... ugh.

Yes, a 'drop a pair' click would be nice.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    Franco_ontarien
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/06/08 10:15:36 (permalink)
    Maybe you should take a look at Melodyne Studio!
    http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_studio

I'm using this software and I save a lot of time to fix volume or pitch problem.

Regards!
    pjfarr
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: How do I get vocals the same volume? 2007/06/13 13:17:44 (permalink)
    I've never had much of a knack for envelopes. Usually, once I've reached the end of the track and go back and listen from the beginning, the first series of envelopes will now sound "off" (too loud, too soft). So I adjust them accordingly, but then the envelopes later in the song are now suddenly off...and around 'n' around I go
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1