How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser?

Author
Silhan
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2013/07/08 12:44:09 (permalink)

How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser?

I recently started using Dimension Pro and Sonar X2.  One thing that frustrates me is trying to locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser after I've closed the plug-in window.

For example, the other day I needed to use an accordion sound.  I settled on one (let's call it "Accordion 1") then I closed the Dimension Pro plug-in window.  The next day I changed my mind and wanted to use a different program from the same bank (let's call it "Accordion 2").  But when I reopened the Dimension Pro plug-in window and program browser, I couldn't remember which bank "Accordion 1" was in, so I had no idea where to look for "Accordion 2".  I ended up having to manually open up several banks until I found the right one.

Is there a better way to find the location of the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser?

(I hope I got the terminology right.  Hopefully it's clear what I meant.)

5 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser? 2013/07/08 13:03:10 (permalink)
    Not that I am aware of. If I could not remember where a program was in the browser list, I would use the OS to search the program folders.
    Silhan
    Re: How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser? 2013/07/08 15:17:27 (permalink)
    scook
    Not that I am aware of. If I could not remember where a program was in the browser list, I would use the OS to search the program folders.

Thanks for the response.  That's too bad.  I've tried using the Windows search feature too, but for some reason it doesn't always find all of the matching programs that it should.  Maybe my file index is out of date?  I should check that.

Dimension Pro is a great program, but it definitely has its flaws.  I really hope Cakewalk updates it to bring the program handling at least up to the level of z3ta 2.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser? 2013/07/08 15:21:51 (permalink)
    Keep in mind the programs are in a hidden directory C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser? 2013/07/08 18:49:31 (permalink)
    But when I reopened the Dimension Pro plug-in window and program browser, I couldn't remember which bank "Accordion 1" was in, so I had no idea where to look for "Accordion 2".

Well, if you haven't loaded more than 8 programs since the "Accordian 1", there's a way to locate the parent folder.

When you open up a fresh instance, click on the right-pointing arrow (just left of the 'Empty Program' text).  It will drop down the last eight programs loaded in descending order.  Click on '"Accordian 1" to load it into Dimension Pro.

Then go to the Program Handling icon [#1 of four], and select Load Program ...  It will point to the subfolder of the last loaded program.  Hopefully, it should be easy to spot "Accordian 2.prog" at this point.

Use the same host to get consistent results.  In other words, the last 8 programs in the Dimension Pro microhost won't necessarily be the same as the last 8 programs loaded in Sonar.  (Rapture has a 16 program history, and seems to hold its listing across multiple hosts.)
    Silhan
    Re: How do I locate the active program in the Dimension Pro program browser? 2013/07/10 13:22:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.  I played around with this some more last night.  The best workflow I've come up with so far is to use Windows 8 Explorer to search for the *.PROG file I want, then drag the file onto the Dimension Pro window to load the program.  It worked great with the standalone app.  Hopefully drag-and-drop will also work with the VST window in Sonar.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1