How do I play the synth Instruments without.....

Author
musicislove
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/08/09 08:44:40 (permalink)

How do I play the synth Instruments without.....

Using my keyboard. Is there a way to play the synth instruments internally through cakewalk without having to connect my keyboard to my PC?

5 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: How do I play the synth Instruments without..... 2006/08/09 09:19:45 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what you're using as a host application for your virtual synths, but it should have a MIDI editor or piano roll view of some sort. There are plenty of people who just use the mouse to manually enter notes or controller values. You can also import .mid files found throughout the internet and use those, or edit them once they're in the host. Personally, I find keyboard or external controller input much quicker & easier, but computer-based applications offer a few different ways to get your ideas across.
    tshear23
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: How do I play the synth Instruments without..... 2006/08/09 16:49:01 (permalink)
    A lot of hosts have a key command that allows you to play notes from your computer keyboard... in Logic, it is capslock. I'm pretty sure Cubase has a similar feature.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: How do I play the synth Instruments without..... 2006/08/09 17:56:53 (permalink)
    Or drag a midi clip into the timeline.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: How do I play the synth Instruments without..... 2006/08/10 11:55:50 (permalink)
    There are some EEG (Electroencephalogram) devices that allow one to map the EEG signals (or some function of them) into MIDI data (note, velocity, controllers, etc). This MIDI data can be routed to your host sequencer (Sonar, Project-5, Cubase, etc.) via a MIDI loopback device such as MIDI Yoke. This way, you can just place the electrodes (EEG sensors) in your head or body, set up the EEG software to map the signals into MIDI data, and play your synths with your brain (look ma, no hands!).

One of these devices is the Mindpeak WaveRider. The software looks like this:

In this picture you can see the raw EEG signals for two channels (top-left), the spectrum analyzer (top-right), the average power of the signals in the alpha band (8-12 Hz) (bottom-left), which is being mapped to MIDI note and velocity (bottom-right). Just for the sake of the example, I ran the MIDI output through the internal soundcard's GM synth and recorded the resulting sequence as audio. You can listen to it here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the device here with me, so this sequence doesn't come from my own brain, but from pre-recorded signals. But the program does work in realtime. It sure is more fun than entering notes with your mouse.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: How do I play the synth Instruments without..... 2006/08/14 12:35:49 (permalink)
    Boy, that jogged my memory. Around 1978 or so, our little neuroscience graduate student company CrystaLogic designed a device called the "Mind Meld". Of course, it was the pre-MIDI era so our device produced contro voltages from EEG. We had an 8-electrode head cap and only monitored EEG. The way we envisioned the device being used would be in cafe style clubs where everyone in attendence would wear a Mind Meld and contribute to the mass modulation of electronic music compositions rendered on a host of analog synth equipment. I still have the circuit diagrams around somewhere as well as a working prototype. Come to think of it, it shouldn't be too hard to connect it to a CV to MIDI converter since it was designed tio work with 5v/octave equipment (I had a MiniMoog and a Polyfusion modular rack at the time). I might just give it a shot, sounds like a fun project. Ah, the days of the Burr-Brown 12 bit converter

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1