How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track

Author
EmbSysPro
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2009/07/03 00:51:29 (permalink)

How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track

Hi,
I have an exquisite guitar backing track that like to keep but it has a few places in it where I can hear 'popping'. I really did not know what I was doing when a first began using SONAR PE.

Now that I'm trying to do some real work and I'd like to clean up some of my earlier mistakes. I've read a bunch of stuff on how to prevent this from happening in the first place but I've found nothing that tells me how to fix this problem if it has already happened.

Any suggestions?
post edited by EmbSysPro - 2009/07/03 01:04:05

11 Replies Related Threads

jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/03 02:38:41 (permalink)
    Clip gain envelope.
    Split clips, tweak start / end, short fades.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/03 13:28:25 (permalink)
    Depends how transparent and complete you want the fix to be. Software such as iZotope RX and Adobe Audition can remove pops with little or no residue.

Sometimes you can get away with envelopes, most of the time you can't. A wave editor or spectral editor is the way to go. If you don't want to spend any money, a free wave editor like Audacity will let you draw out short clicks.

If it's a particularly bad pop, though, spanning hundreds or thousands of samples, you're going to have a really hard time fixing it. In some cases it's nearly impossible, even with advanced editing software.

How about posting a screenshot? Zoom in really tight on the wave so we can see the nature of the artifact. That'll give a clue as to what, if anything, can be done.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    paul01
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/03 14:57:48 (permalink)
    You could use the gate plugin. Cant garuntee results, but it could work.

Just mess with the threshhold until you hear only what you want, you will probably have to adjust a couple other things in there as well, but its all dependent on what kind of click you got going on.

If you use envelopes they normally work well, but it can cause problems if not done perfectly. You can also zoom in far enough to chop up the click. But that causes the same problems if not done properly.

I would say the quickest way to do it would be the gate plugin, which like I say may or may not work, as this would clear up all unwanted noise on the whole track at once.

Also a well placed notch on an eq would help as well. Actually, I would probably eq it before using the gate plug, as this will dampen the click sound before using the gate.

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/03 15:56:47 (permalink)
    So, if it is a rare moment where the energy get's particularly high, perhaps you can cut and paste from another time in the same track, writing over the bad moment.

Just thought.

G
    DIGATELIER
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/03 19:03:36 (permalink)
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/03 20:28:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: EmbSysPro
    I have an exquisite guitar backing track that like to keep

I wish I had one of those!

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/04 07:17:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: EmbSysPro

Hi,
    I have an exquisite guitar backing track that like to keep but it has a few places in it where I can hear 'popping'. I really did not know what I was doing when a first began using SONAR PE.

Now that I'm trying to do some real work and I'd like to clean up some of my earlier mistakes. I've read a bunch of stuff on how to prevent this from happening in the first place but I've found nothing that tells me how to fix this problem if it has already happened.

Any suggestions?

Do you have access to a program like Soundforge or another good sound editor that will allow you to go in and surgically fix things? And whether it can be fixed or not depends on exactly where the popping is happening in relation to your guitar sounds. If it's happening exactly as you hit a note you've got a real problem that may not be fixable.

Jack
    Qapla!
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/04 07:30:00 (permalink)

If its actually clipping, then it may not be fixable, cause its in the sound of the guitar. a gain envelope will just lower the popping sound and the guitar part at the same time. In some cases, you can fix it, but in some you just cant and re-recording is the only option.
    Or, if you played the same guitar part in another section of the song, you can copy and paste it to the bad section. Make sure to cut out the bad section first and use cross fades to ease the 2 clips together.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    EmbSysPro
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/04 11:15:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I haven't purchased any additional software yet. Hopefully I can find a good software package or VST plugin that will not only solve this issue but solve some of the other issues that I have previously made RFCs on. The creation of a VST 'Guitar Tools' plugin for guitarists like myself would be great.

But back to the issue at hand, I have carefully examined the 'waveform' as displayed by SONAR and it appears that at the places where I hear 'pops' extreme gain/clipping has occured. I've found that I can eliminate the 'pop' sound by selecting the cycle in which the 'pop' occurs and then setting the gain to -INF. But this method is very time consuming.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    MatsonMusicBox
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/04 11:33:10 (permalink)
    Izotope RX can fix both pops and clips - check it out.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: How do I remove the popping sounds from an audio track 2009/07/05 00:41:26 (permalink)
    I have just fixed a track with a very similar problem and nothing beats a separate program like Cool Edit Pro or Adobe Audition. Usually when something nasty happens like this the waveform takes a complete downward shift and that often is what you are hearing. In Cool Edit you just keep on zooming in until you are down to the individual sample points. You can just drag these points around and rebuild the waveform so you make it just flow on as if nothing has happened at all. Of course you make a backup before you do anything in case you need to go back.

I have just rebuilt a section of a vocal that was really badly clipped in just one little spot and it sounded BAD! . After doing this wave rebuilding it is completely gone now and the track is fine again. These things usually only happen for very brief periods as well. So get an editor and Sonar can access it easily so you dont have to close down and bootup the special editor. Nothing comes close to this type of repair in Sonar. I have said it before, you really need two programs. Sonar and a great editor for surgical operations.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1