How do I use my computer keyboard as a MIDI input?

Author
mmholtman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2014/01/03 13:28:57 (permalink)

How do I use my computer keyboard as a MIDI input?

I am relatively new to Cakewalk products and home recording in general, so I don't know if this is obvious or not. I have the Sonar VS 100. I want to record mainly on the drum machines that Sonar has. I went to add new track, instrument track then SI-Drum Kit. It opens up the drum machine window and something I noticed at the top right hand corner was a keyboard symbol that said "Give all keystrokes to plug in" and i click enabled. Except nothing happened. How do I use my computer keyboard to perform on the drum machines and other virtual instruments that include this capability?

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How do I use my computer keyboard as a MIDI input? 2014/01/03 14:08:38 (permalink)
    The short answer is don't do it, buy a MIDI keyboard, pads or other input device instead.

The long answer.
    The "Give all keystrokes to plug-in" feature is for sending keystrokes that would normally be interpreted by SONAR as shortcuts directly to the plug-in instead. In order to use the PC keyboard as a MIDI input device requires a virtual MIDI keyboard and virtual MIDI cable. There are a few available on the internet but the better solution is to purchase, no matter how inexpensive, a real MIDI input device. Many of them directly connect to the PC via USB. Instead of using a MIDI input device, MIDI can also be entered in SONAR, albeit not in real-time, using the step sequencer, piano roll and staff views.
    post edited by scook - 2014/01/03 14:10:18
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: How do I use my computer keyboard as a MIDI input? 2014/01/03 22:26:27 (permalink)
    I'm  with scook.
    The only computer keyboard controller I have used is Bomes Mouse. It has its place, I suppose, but setup is somewhat involved, and it offers limited control. And you have to purchase a license after a short trial period.
    Something like this might fit your needs nicely:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/akai-professional-lpd8-laptop-pad-controller
    A dedicated controller is 1000 times more satisfying to play than faking it with the computer keyboard.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    mmholtman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: How do I use my computer keyboard as a MIDI input? 2014/01/04 00:56:23 (permalink)
    What I am trying to accomplish is to get drums going that I can manipulate without copying and pasting some preset drum beat. Robert, would you say the drum pad you posted can do the job? Thanks guys
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: How do I use my computer keyboard as a MIDI input? 2014/01/04 10:36:33 (permalink)
    As far as creating your drums, yes it would. For me, the best way to get an idea from my head to the track is to play it. That's where a drum pad or controller comes in.
    Once your MIDI track is recorded, you can manipulate or edit the notes in the Piano Roll View.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1