How do software guitar amp sims compare with hardware modellers

Author
jonathan1967
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2013/03/12 17:48:09 (permalink)

How do software guitar amp sims compare with hardware modellers

I'm curious how the TH2 and Guitar Rig amp sim plug ins compare with dedicated hardware like the POD HD500 and the Boss GT-100 both in the quality of the effects and the quality of the amp modelling. Thanks, Jonathan

1 Reply Related Threads

r_baeyens
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:How do software guitar amp sims compare with hardware modellers 2013/03/14 08:31:02 (permalink)
    My experience is that while hardware units (like the POD) are great for playing live and at rehearsals, the software amp-sims have MUCH better sound and MUCH more sound-shaping possibilities.

I use 'ReValver' from Peavey myself, and the sound is incredible. In a mix, there is no one that's going to hear the difference between your tone and a real amp, it's just THAT good!!

However, 'Guitar Rig' is not one of my favorites. It's much too 'clean' to sound anything like a real amp (although you can get some great sounds out of it).
     A much better option is 'Amplitube 3' from IK Multimedia or 'ReValver III.V' (the best!!) from Peavey.
    These programs really DO sound like real amps (and you get tons of amps, speakers and effects to work with).

Of course, for playing live, I wouldn't recomend a computer-based set-up. But when it comes to recording and playing at home, the software amps have taken the lead for sure!! You DO need a strong computer with a very low latency soundcard though...

There is even a FREE version of 'Amplitube' http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/ , which you can update later with individual purchases from the 'Custom shop'...
    Peavey's 'ReValver' is quite expensive (but woth every penny), but you can install the entire program (without save-function) to hear what the fuss is all about. http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/

Give them a try before you decide!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1