How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer

Author
guitz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
2009/01/28 02:00:20 (permalink)

How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer

Yea , it's sounds great and has alot of cool sample loops...but to me the PROCESS of 'auditioning' and selecting just the correct 1 bar piece to go here or there is STILL extremely tedious, not to mention trying to figure out what fill out of the dozens and dozens of possibilities fits....so what is your solution to this extreme tediousness, or is it just me? :)

15 Replies Related Threads

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 03:23:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, there's a lot to chose from. Stay focused.
    Ludvig
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 04:04:00 (permalink)
    I tend to use it either as drum replacement on acoustic drum recordings or played from scratch with my fingers. Don't use the included MIDI much.

Best Regards
    Ludvig

Intel Core i7 3770K | ASRock Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | ATI Radeon HD6450 PCI-E | 30" @ 2560 x 1600 | 2x120GB Intel 330 SSD's | 5TB HD's | Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit | SONAR Platinum Everett | All PC-modules | Octa-Capture | Studio-Capture | VS-700 |
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 07:16:59 (permalink)
    I use it with a combination of Slicy Drummer(because I'm very familiar with it and it's fast to get started), or my Roland Octapad and sometimes my keys. Although the included loops are very good they sound like somebody elses ideas whereas Slicy Drummer is more non descript and I can shape or add to it to make it more original. Of course with the Octapad it's original from the start.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 07:26:35 (permalink)
    Yea , it's sounds great and has alot of cool sample loops...but to me the PROCESS of 'auditioning' and selecting just the correct 1 bar piece to go here or there is STILL extremely tedious, not to mention trying to figure out what fill out of the dozens and dozens of possibilities fits....so what is your solution to this extreme tediousness, or is it just me? :)

Its most likely you.. Ive used EZdrummer triggered by my roland v-drums with 17 plus songs that i have in my soundclick page. Its very easy to use Ezdrummer.
    cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 07:37:39 (permalink)

Hi there Mark

Once you get your workflow sorted, you'll be writing your drum tracks in no time at all.

I start with a loop or a couple of loops that's close to what I want to use for most of the song - if they need customising I'll do that in the PRV.

Next trick is to convert the loop/s into groove clips and drag them out into the sections of the song they're going to be used in (BTW - When I've done this - I'll record the audio parts)

Next job is to add your fills - just split off and delete the parts where you want your fills to go and then either drag in ready-made ones or (as I do) create your own in the PRV.

Now I'll go through and add cymbal crashes if I want them - take care to remove any other drum strikes that occur at these insertions or it can sound like your drummer has got three hands!

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 07:44:46 (permalink)
    +1 to Steve Strummer........

It is exactly the way I work no a days after spending days and days trying to writ my own drum parts.........It is so much easier..........after a while of auditioning your parts you will get a feel for what exactly it is that you want and then your searchs will be less time consuming.........(it's a learning curve thing!!)..........but this way you really do get exactly what you want in a very short time

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    john5959
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 09:23:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

take care to remove any other drum strikes that occur at these insertions or it can sound like your drummer has got three hands!

What if your drummer actually has 3 hands?
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 10:28:37 (permalink)
    I tend to start with a basic boom chick to establish the timing of what I am working on. When I have my guitar riffs the way I want them, I get rid of the EZ Midi file and record what I want there. I probably spend more time retracking the drums than the initial track on the guitars.

I never end up using the loops that came with EZD anywhere past the very rough sketch phase.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 12:58:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: guitz

I almost always rough it out first... just dragging midi with little effort into selecting the best, the ngo back and replace as necessary (or get a real drummer to play). How tedious it is from there is up to you. IF you know there's only one possible fill that would work, you may spend a lot of time looking... if you are the kind of person to listen to a fill, then say "That works", then you can get it done pretty quickly. The good thing about EZD is that you have the option... you don't have to explore every option available.
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/28 15:36:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: john5959

take care to remove any other drum strikes that occur at these insertions or it can sound like your drummer has got three hands!

What if your drummer actually has 3 hands?

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

soundchaser59
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 558
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/31 00:10:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mlockett

if you are the kind of person to listen to a fill, then say "That works", then you can get it done pretty quickly.

That's me......I wasted countless hours and days trying to program my own drum tracks hit by hit, midi note by midi note, beat by beat, bar by bar.....and I thought I had it easy because I was recording the midi "live" by using my piano as the controller and "playing the drums" on the piano keyboard with my fingers. But I cannot remember one single drum track I made that way that I was happy with. I'm a guitar player......

EZDrummer was manna from heaven for me. I can play the patterns in tempo with the recorded tracks (recorded to a click or a hi hat or something) by just clicking on them in the EZD screen while Sonar is playing the song. I find as few or as many as I think work, and then drag and drop them in roughly the correct order. Fills are easy. One reason it's so easy is because all I look for is "will it work or not?" I never have a specific drum beat or pattern in my head when I start. It's almost like I let EZD audition itself, as if the drummer is saying "howzabout this? or this one?"

I cant imagine any other "drummer" being near as easy......

This is the very first serious tune I did after I got EZD about 9 months ago. Nothing dazzling, and it is 7 minutes long, the drums dont really come in for real until after a couple minutes go by and drop out the last couple minutes. So be prepared to skip around, or sit and wait for it if you dont have anything better to do. But the point is that it was pretty darn easy, and the song has a couple places where it stops and starts and the drums had to fit. A little bit of creative use of fills got it done. I was surprised at how quickly I had a drum track that works for the song. I think it took a total of about 3-4 hours tops to get the entire track.

I did not edit any of the patterns manually at all, this is all stock EZD loops. The only things I did were shorten a few patterns to match timing cues and stops, etc., and I added a few manual cymbal crashes on a second midi track.

Eleventh House (160kb MP3)

Singer (DJ) is from Australia. Real bass, guitars, Sonik Synth keys, Sonar plugs, and EZD Vintage Rock kit. (and no I dont have any affilatiion with Toontrack, I just buy their kits!)
    post edited by soundchaser59 - 2009/01/31 00:31:44
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/31 05:26:25 (permalink)
    I find ezdrummer is in blocks anyway to help out. It's about as easy as it gets.

The only strange things are the order of the patterns within the blocks. Some 'obvious' and 'over-used' patterns/variations are in the middle of lists. Drum machines, and I've tested many, do have an order about them.

The fills also are a little disordered too. Use their later stuff (SD2.0) and there is a better flow to patterns and fills.

SD 2.0 is worth a look. I resisted as an upgrade to it is one and a half times more (UK) than ezdrummer (+free expansion pack). That's hefty, in my opinion. But it's great. Recommended by many on here and I would too. It completes what you need - apart from more midi - because no amount is ever enough.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/31 07:22:11 (permalink)
    if you are the kind of person to listen to a fill, then say "That works", then you can get it done pretty quickly.

Or if your like me and just use EZdrummer as a sound source for my V-drums you can get what ever you want by just playing it in real time very very quickly. I really don't get this post. Ezdrummer is one of the easiest drum programs on the market. Making music is work. I'm wondering what the original poster wants. Maybe a program that can read the rhythms of his song and maybe his mind also and then just play it??? Its really wired, or he just doesn't know how to use it and use sonar and he's just assuming.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/01/31 08:46:15 (permalink)
    I've never used a pre-purchased MIDI clip.
    A mouse and a finger, PRV, EZD, and I'm set.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: How do you REALLY get things done with EZ Drummer 2009/02/01 13:19:57 (permalink)

Hi there Mark

Once you get your workflow sorted, you'll be writing your drum tracks in no time at all.

I start with a loop or a couple of loops that's close to what I want to use for most of the song - if they need customising I'll do that in the PRV.

Next trick is to convert the loop/s into groove clips and drag them out into the sections of the song they're going to be used in (BTW - When I've done this - I'll record the audio parts)

Next job is to add your fills - just split off and delete the parts where you want your fills to go and then either drag in ready-made ones or (as I do) create your own in the PRV.

Now I'll go through and add cymbal crashes if I want them - take care to remove any other drum strikes that occur at these insertions or it can sound like your drummer has got three hands!

Steve

Exactly.

regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
    16 GB RAM

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1