How do you do it ?

Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2008/02/12 09:38:30 (permalink)

How do you do it ?

Mixing that is .I mean do you write all the parts first,then EQ + Compress,then add the effects ?.Or do you prefer to process each part as you go along ?.
Just interested in how other people go about this ! I tend to process each part as I go along....
Kev
post edited by kev11111111111111 - 2008/02/12 09:54:30

11 Replies Related Threads

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 11:04:54 (permalink)
    I've found that I do some "non-destructive" processing as I go along, but never "destructive" until everything is done. It's to easy, for example, to put reverb on something, and then find you cant get it to sit in the mix. I think its best to wait until everything is done. Too many different effects change the levels, tones and other factors to do it effectively as the process is still ongoing.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 11:24:19 (permalink)
    It is very difficult for me to make anything like good mixing decisions unless I am hearing the whole song. How can I tell what the bass should sound like without drums or guitar? The temptation is to mix everything as though it's a solo instrument, which usually results in a very bad mix.

The typical (and I believe best) way to create a record is to
    1. write the songs, then
    2. have the musician(s) learn and rehearse the songs and develop the different parts, then
    3. Record the song essentially as it is played in rehearsal
    4. If necessary, overdub individual parts, and/or do any "studio arranging" (adding intros, weird bridges, solos, bringing in other instruments, etc)
    5. Mix the song

Certain sample/synth/loop-based styles of music blur the boundaries somewhat between songwriting, performance, and production. That is a very different way of working and it can be challenging for traditional musicians to keep focused if they are trying to do sound design at the same time they are writing and practicing and playing their instrument. Obviously, with a lot of electronica and hip-hop for instance, there is no conventional "song" in the sense of chord changes and melody, so the process changes.

But sticking with "small-m" musicians playing actual notes and chords on instruments, as opposed to broader producer/sound-designer types, I believe the greatest challenge in the studio is to keep the left-brain technical aspects from interfering with the right-brain creative flow and expression. This is probably the biggest advantage to working with an engineer, is that you don't have to think about impedance matching, compression ratios, digital overs, or predelay times while you are also trying to perform your magnum opus. It's kind of like trying to make love while doing your taxes.

To that end, I think most typical songwriter-performers are better off just turning off the computer until the song is actually written and rehearsed and ready to be performed live. *Then* you can go in and actually record it with confidence, without second-guessing each chord change at the same time that are second-guessing mic placement and reverb tails. Once you have that core structure down pat, it is relatively easy to add embellishments and accompaniments and so on. Then, once you have all the recorded tracks, you can go in and start to pick apart the sounds.

My two cents.

Cheers.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 11:30:34 (permalink)
    It varies a little from project to project, but I usually get most of the tracks down before I start adding effects or other processing.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 14:35:10 (permalink)
    I usually wait until the project is near completion before I start adding all the other "stuff". I have found that from experience that when I added all my EQ, dynamic and fx processing, and then afterwards added additional instrumentation, it changed the entire mix. Now I do my best to wait untill I feel convinced that the song structure is completed.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 14:42:39 (permalink)
    The hardest thing to do in this environment of unlimited tracks and FX is to not start mixing until the engineering and the producing is finished. To me, once the tracks are down don't be afraid to commit to a certain extent. What I mean by that is soft synths and such. I freeze those right away or bounce to a track. (I always keep the originals archived and hidden if I want to make a change) But you really can't EQ and mix until you know what the song sounds like.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 16:51:26 (permalink)
    Interesting thread.

I usually start with a somewhat "completed" song. However, after recording the whole thing straight through with maybe just voice and guitar, I will invariably make some basic structural changes. For example, I will often find myself cutting back on the number of chorus repititions - I get carried when I'm having fun.

I usually develop some kind of idea of the instrumentation for the song when writing it.

After it has has been fleshed out structurally, I just start recording each instrument part as needed. In the final mix some stay, some wind up on the cutting room floor.

I don't start mixing until I feel that I have EVERYTHING recorded that will be needed for the song.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 17:12:28 (permalink)
    Although I almost always will end up tweaking or completely changing the effects later, I often add reverb or certain "key" effects early on while still tracking. For example, if the rhythm guitar was going to have a tremolo effect or delay that was key to the song's sound, I would add it right away because the other tracks are kind of building around that sound. But usually compression, EQ and things like that I will wait until the end.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 17:49:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dlogan

Although I almost always will end up tweaking or completely changing the effects later, I often add reverb or certain "key" effects early on while still tracking. For example, if the rhythm guitar was going to have a tremolo effect or delay that was key to the song's sound, I would add it right away because the other tracks are kind of building around that sound. But usually compression, EQ and things like that I will wait until the end.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

Hmm...

I guess I should clarify my post above to say that I am almost always *monitoring* with effects while tracking, and sometimes even printing the effects as I go. I am also riding the faders and setting appropriate levels for headphone mixes and stuff like that.

But in my mind, that stuff is not the same as "mixing" with a capital M. Getting a bass sound that allows the bass player to hear herself and be inspired by is one thing, actually mixing the bass is something else. Maybe that's a semantic difference, but the main thing is to avoid getting caught in the mire of trying to write, record, mix, and produce one perfect measure at a time. I think that approach generally produces less satisfying results, or more commonly no results at all. By the time you've got two or three "perfect" measures you're so sick of the thing and unable to get it any further that it just sits languishing on the hard drive as another forgotten idea.

Cheers.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 18:32:04 (permalink)
    Yeh, you have to get a sound that sounds good as you are tracking it, and you won't be much inspired laying down subsequent tracks if the drums are completely unprocessed and the bass is unprocessed and so forth. I think that this is another of those things where the difference is often substantial between the traditional scenario and the mostly DI'd scenario, since a lot of what would seem like 'mixing' is nothing more than the guitarist or bassist would have done to get the sound he/she wanted or that the recording engineer would have done to get a good drum sound. It's mixing, but it's not really mixing, and you are using a lot of the same tools you use when big M mixing.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/12 21:01:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: yep
    To that end, I think most typical songwriter-performers are better off just turning off the computer until the song is actually written and rehearsed and ready to be performed live. *Then* you can go in and actually record it with confidence, without second-guessing each chord change at the same time that are second-guessing mic placement and reverb tails. Once you have that core structure down pat, it is relatively easy to add embellishments and accompaniments and so on. Then, once you have all the recorded tracks, you can go in and start to pick apart the sounds.

totally agree with this. for us solo people, of course we will have to record something to add parts, but i always do this in a 'scratch track' first, then get the rhythm (usually just drums for me, since i don't have a bass to play) and make another scratch track that follows the rhythm of the song. then sing or play over the scratch track until i have what i want.

while i have some EQ presets that i will use for tracks i typically don't mess with anything technical until i've laid most of the groundwork for the song. that doesn't mean i'm done adding stuff, but music first, tweaking second.

- jack the ex-cynic
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: How do you do it ? 2008/02/13 05:44:23 (permalink)
    Hi !
    Great to see so many replies to this thread.Its seems like theres a general agreement to get the song down first,then put the energy into the mix.I guess this makes good sense !
    Recently I've been working the other way round,and man it has been a struggle !! I love that quote 'Yep' come up with.... trying to do it the whole process at once is like making love whilst working out ya taxes.LOL,its a good analogy that one !
    Thanks for all your posts !
    Kev
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1