How do you guys use offset mode?

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2014/06/19 10:04:43 (permalink)

Hey, guys. I'm not actually asking how it's actually used, but much more like:

what use do you guys make of offset mode?

I generally record everything at an incredibly low level, then normalize to around 1dB. After loading my synths and doing a lot of my recording, I'll go to offset mode and take EVERYTHING (except Master fader) down about 6-12dB, then make the small changes to the mix again.
It's not very smart, but it ensures that the final mix ends up far below clipping, and gives me room for some final mix EQ and compression. How about you guys?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

11 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    . 2014/06/19 10:12:13 (permalink)
    post edited by Splat Chat O'samplemashy - 2018/12/21 17:01:15

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/19 12:20:10 (permalink)
    Offset mode as Mike describes.  It is an operator error save your hinny after you've finished a track(s) and decide it has to be louder or softer.

As to recording everything low and then normalizing - that is not a good process to use.  Record a nice, strong signal - but not one going into red.  This is where recording through a comp/limiter really gives peace of mind - as well as a nice tone.  And where a high-gain preamp can allow you to back off the mike and still get a solid signal.  But esp. for soft synths etc. there is no reason to not record loudly.  It is always easier to turn down something rather than raise a level and attendant noise - and that is not just from tape day's training.  I seldom have a recorded track playing back at 0 dB - it is usually -6 or -20 db.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/19 14:18:14 (permalink)
    I find offset mode to be confusing and potentially dangerous (mainly if you forget it's on) so I leave it alone. I have no qualms with editing an automation envelope if needs be.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/19 15:59:07 (permalink)
    I've never used it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/20 11:53:18 (permalink)

Never.

Too damned confusing. I'm not at all averse to editing my own envelopes - and it's easy enough to select the whole env. & drag it up/down as needed.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/20 14:01:57 (permalink)
    Ooh AT, I have to admit that until now I never actually stopped and took notice of the fact that a LOT more noise comes thru when I record really low level - That's something I won't be doing again.

Not sure I'll be changing my other use of it (to bring everything in the mix to a non-clipping level), it's just TOO handy for that. Really useful imo

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/21 13:54:21 (permalink)
    sharke
    I find offset mode to be confusing and potentially dangerous (mainly if you forget it's on) so I leave it alone. I have no qualms with editing an automation envelope if needs be.

I agree with this...but only because there aren't enough blatant changes in Sonar to show a user he or she is in offset mode. It's VERY easy to forget you're using it which can really be a nightmare.

However, if you are focused and extremely anal about stuff like I am and you can remember to immediately change back to normal mode, it can be a really cool feature.

For example, I'm done mixing and I decide I need to do all my automation. I start with a lead vocal and make sure that each word is heard. When I get done, I find that maybe the entire track can come up +1 dB. I can no longer use my volume slider because the nodes I created for my volume will be locked in to the automation. If I moved the fader it would only move back as soon as I press play.

To raise that track 1 dB higher, I have three options.

1. Raise all the automation I just drew by 1 dB which would be tedious and a pain in the butt

2. Raise the "gain" on the track. However, because I use gain staging to make everything just right with my plugs etc, this *might* cause audible clipping. Or it just may work.....but I'd never touch my gain for the sake of adjusting automation.

3. The correct choice, press O, the volume fader turns to a + and I raise it to 1.0, press O again to get back to regular mode...and I'm done.

The same can be done when you may have automated pans that might need subtle tweaking. For example, during guitar solos, I like to pan my rhythm guitar tracks out a little wider to get them out of the way of the guitar solo. Sometimes I bring them out too wide...so going into offset mode allows me to bring them a little tighter without touching the automation nodes I've drawn in.

The key to this is to remember to press O immediately when you're done and you'll be in good shape. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/06/23 07:31:35 (permalink)
    I never use it.  Actually, probably didn't realize it's there.... well I knew I could raise things up after the fact but don't.

As far as recording at a low level and then normalizing to make it loud enough....  one word:  DON'T

Go ahead and get nice strong signals that are below the clipping points at their peaks. On the mix down, keep the master under the clipping points as well and you should end up with a nice wave that needs very little "boosting" after the fact.

With nice strong levels going in, if there's a track ... perhaps vocals... that afterwards simply isn't loud enough to cut over the mix..... rather than adding Boost11 or normalizing to get a few more db's out of an already cranked track..... I look at turning the other tracks down. With good strong waves, this is a viable and workable option that I've used a few times. Go back to square one when things are not working like they should.

I normalize only when there is no other option and usually there are many options. If a track is low, you did something wrong at the recording  session. Go back right then and fix it. I always record a short couple of measures to see where my signal levels going into the track are at. Fix if necessary.

Offset mode.... like anything else in Sonar, it's a tool put there for you to use, if and when you need it. Some tools we use every day and all the time. Others, like the "jaws of life" we pull out and use only as a last resort to save something without having to do massive amounts of work in another way. You decide which ones you use and when. Think ahead and you won't need the life savers very often.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2014/06/23 07:36:17

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    TremoJem
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/07/18 06:27:14 (permalink)
    I did not know about offset mode.

I would create envelopes and if I needed to cut or boost a track with volume automation, I would either tediously move each node or, select all and move as a an "object" (not sure that is correct semantics).

If I understand what is being said here...next time I need to boost or cut an automation envelope for a specific track, I just hit "O" then adjust by the value I wish the boost or cut to realize, BUT, make sure to hit "O" again.

One other thing, did I misunderstand when I read that you could use a limiter when tracking to make sure you have a hot signal, but not clipping? That sounds scarey to me. Please elaborate.

TNX

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/07/18 10:15:17 (permalink)
    software limiters only work AFTER (after) AFTER the incoming signal has already hit a convertor somewhere.

do not rely on software limiters to 'HOLD' your peaks, or you will end up with overs.

that's why outboard compressors and limiters are still so useful.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re: How do you guys use offset mode? 2014/07/20 14:07:19 (permalink)
    I realized last night (this morning really) that I have got myself all screwed up with offset mode.  I have been doing most of this mix, pans etc. in offset mode without realizing it.  I never realized there was a button that displayed that this mode was activated, I must have hit O at some point early in the mix by accident and never noticed.  Then as I am nearing the end of the mix and started writing automation I noticed that I could hear my automation working but my faders and pan knobs weren't moving...?   hmmm So After about 2 min of investigation I was feeling pretty foolish.  I just checked to make sure I wasn't running into any gain staging issues at the bus level, and let it ride.  Sounds good, is good.  If I go back to this mix 2 yrs from now I will be confused as hell, but I am not redoing everything at this point for no real reason.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1