How do you handle keyswitches?

Author
mcgooze
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
2011/02/02 21:28:58 (permalink)

How do you handle keyswitches?

I have a lot of sample libraries that use keyswitching (notes not assigned to a sound, used to change from one articulation to another).  I usually put the keyswitches on their own track so I can easily see where they are.  I wish X1 had some type of a "look back" feature for keyswitches the way it does for controllers so that when I start playback somewhere I don't have to worry about the correct keyswitch being active.

Anybody got any good work-arounds for handling this?
post edited by mcgoo - 2011/02/04 05:46:04

greg

Greg McGuirk Music & Audio
www.gmma.biz

14 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/02 22:55:33 (permalink)
    mcgoo

I wish X1 had some type of a "look back" feature for keyswitches the way it does for controllers so that when I start playback somewhere I don't have to worry about the correct keyswitch being active. 

That would be an excellent feature.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 01:00:59 (permalink)
    Hi, McGoo - It's an interesting idea.  I've seen it come up before, but I've never seen anyone get beyond the basic problem with the idea - which is trying to figure out how a program could interpret keyswitches as something distinct from notes, since keyswitches are in the normal ranges for low instruments. 

I guess it would have to be something that's programmed on a per-instrument basis.  Keyswitches are in the octaves lower than the lowest note in a given instrument's range - but as I'm saying, other instruments can have playable notes in that same range, so, on a instrument-by-instrument basis, there could theoretically be a way of programing Sonar to understand "These aren't notes, and need to be interpreted as data which you can search back to when play back is stopped."---

How I handle keyswitches is extremely straight forward.  Since they're at least an octave lower than the range of the instrument I'm working with, working in the PRV, I can see them down there below the range of the instrument - so I never have any confusion over them. 

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    PenguiN42
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 04:03:46 (permalink)
    rbowser

Hi, McGoo - It's an interesting idea.  I've seen it come up before, but I've never seen anyone get beyond the basic problem with the idea - which is trying to figure out how a program could interpret keyswitches as something distinct from notes, since keyswitches are in the normal ranges for low instruments. 

I guess it would have to be something that's programmed on a per-instrument basis.  Keyswitches are in the octaves lower than the lowest note in a given instrument's range - but as I'm saying, other instruments can have playable notes in that same range, so, on a instrument-by-instrument basis, there could theoretically be a way of programing Sonar to understand "These aren't notes, and need to be interpreted as data which you can search back to when play back is stopped."---

Cubase does almost exactly this with their "Expression Maps" feature.

Check out my band Never Right Now -- SONAR powered! :)
    www.neverrightnow.com
    mcgooze
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 05:28:50 (permalink)
    Keyswitches aren't always low notes though.  East West puts them low and high depending on the instrument.  A double bass for example will have them high (above its playable range).  Many instruments have them both above & below the playable range.

Yeah it would be cool if Sonar could tell an individual track to "look back" for notes below and/or above a certain range.

greg

www.gmma.biz

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 06:09:52 (permalink)
    Could it be acheived if there was an expansion of the Drum map functionality?

Drum maps could be a useful way of managing keyswitches. I have always intended to attempt a drum map for a keyswitched instrument but have never got around to it. (If I recall correctly Susan G linked a drum map for Real Guitar to a thread once)

One imperfect work around would be to repeat keyswitches periodically, say at markers or other points where you may want to frequently start a section playing.

post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2011/02/03 06:16:22

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 07:17:18 (permalink)
    Yep ...

drummaps are pretty useful ...

One guy set up loads of drum maps for the different EWQL SO. 
    One tip ... create an additional track to use just the drum map on  (2 benefits - you can still transpose the music and also the prv in track view willl show the articulations for you. 
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 07:22:50 (permalink)
    Someone here posted their "Drum Map" approach for Keyswitches.  Because you can split the PRV between Controller Lanes, Drum Map and Piano Keys, you can see all three views at once.  And you can name the articulations just like drum pieces.  And because Drum maps display only those notes mapped, you could have notes below and above the working range displayed.  I never tried it, but it looks promising.

I think Sonar should pay attention to this kind of feature and further develop it. 
    post edited by guitartrek - 2011/02/03 07:24:07
    Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 08:59:49 (permalink)
    A few days ago I posted some thought on this in UnderTow's Suggestion List he maintains http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2193406
    I'll duplicate the salient points here:

First, The Drum Map Editor really needs an overhaul.  It is very Windows 3.1'ish   The current interface and the functionality is quite lacking.  Some people (like me) use(struggle with) it to create articulation maps for libraries like EWQLSO.
    I also suggest a funciton that would facilitate working with multiple instrument articulations for orchestra and other libraries.  It would contain an expression map editor to map and remap the articulation controllers, such as key switches, controller changes or MIDI channel remapping. Also, it would have a companion articulation lane on the PRV and/or Staff view,  similar to how you can view velocity and other CC information in their own lane.

And, since I mentioned Staff View, that needs an overhaul too.  I'll elaborate a bit.

If  Staff view or PRV had a separate lane that simply identified the channel that a particular note played, that would be a great great help.  Although I can, present state, change the articulation of a instrument by selecting an individual note in the Staff or PRV views and change its channel (thus articulation), I have no visual clue (other than reviewing the event list- yech) what channel that note is playing on after editing.   This functionality would not replace the Articulation function stated above, but it would go a long way getting there.  I'm not expecting the automatic keyswitching functionality of Overture or Sibelius (that would be an absurd request) - but something better than what is there now.

Katherine  

rbowser
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 10:11:43 (permalink)
    mcgoo

Keyswitches aren't always low notes though...

That's right, I over simplified.  They can be above or below.

I haven't thought very much about the complications that can set in if someone is using a lot of libraries at a time, each with a slew of keyswitches.  It could get more confusing than in my projects with mostly Aria instruments where I use the Aria GUI as a reference for where/what the switches are.

Neat stuff about using Drum  Maps for keyswitches.  Great concept - I've never tried that.   Of course at the same time it's easy to agree that the Drum Map interface could really use some sprucing up.  It's a drag to use it, but still, useful tool, even more useful to use it in ways beyond its design.  Thanks for the tips!

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mcgooze
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 10:18:11 (permalink)
    Apologies for being a little slow, but I'm not really getting the benefit of using the Drum Map.  Would this be simply to remap all the keystrokes to one zone that Sonar could deal with?  If so, that would be too much programming for me, at least the way the Drum Map is currently designed.  Since so many different instruments have so many different types of articulations, I can't imagine there's a way to have a standard assignment set.  Then again, maybe I'm missing something that is obvious to everyone else.  Please enlighten me!  Thanks.

greg

www.gmma.biz

rbowser
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 10:29:25 (permalink)
    mcgoo

Apologies for being a little slow, but I'm not really getting the benefit of using the Drum Map.  Would this be simply to remap all the keystrokes to one zone that Sonar could deal with?  If so, that would be too much programming for me, at least the way the Drum Map is currently designed.  Since so many different instruments have so many different types of articulations, I can't imagine there's a way to have a standard assignment set.  Then again, maybe I'm missing something that is obvious to everyone else.  Please enlighten me!  Thanks.

Hi, Mcgoo - Well it's just theoretical with me, since I haven't done it before.  But what I'm picturing is that you would have a special drum map for each library of sounds you're using.  Like someone mentioned a map for Real Guitar - you'd call that up in the track header.

And this isn't going to help with the problem of them being somehow automatically found in the look back function when you push Play - But it could certainly help you keep straight about what switches are available and what they do since in the PRV display of a drum map, you only see the mapped notes you want and they're labeled.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 10:52:19 (permalink)
    Katie_Katie

And, since I mentioned Staff View, that needs an overhaul too.  I'll elaborate a bit.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Sorry to be negative, but it's just not going to happen in any significant way.

I think the power of cubase's expression maps, or whatever they're called, really take shape in the staff view. In the context of a PRV, is it much more than a convenient "syntactic sugar" for tagging/identifying/manipulating controller data (plus the keyswitch management, of course, which is critical)?

What I'm trying to say is... the ability to manage key ranges explicitly, and treat those effectively as controller data (at least as far as lookback is concerned), would be a major step forward without necessarily having to implement some complex mapping and management facility, that really is just a nice/convenient way of presenting PRV data.

They could simply make a version of Drum Maps... call them Key Maps... that define your keyswitch ranges, take part in the lookback function, and maybe have some other nice doodads like channel mappings or even CC mappings.

Keyswitches are such an integral part of so many libs that managing those alone would give you the 80% for your buck, IMO...

Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 11:34:57 (permalink)
    Keith, yeah, but a girl can dream.

I have created drum maps for EWQLSO and Miroslav.  They are particular to my composing desires and they were arduous to create.  But the functionality they provide pale in comparison to the functionality of Overture for example.  I don't expect Cakewalk to get that far with the articulation because there are specialized products that specifically facilitate composing, but you are correct, giving us a better drum map editor (or Key Map editor) would indeed be 80% of the dream come true.  Sure, I would like a tie-in to the Staff View so if (were able  to) put a staccato or pizz art on a note it would switch.  Reading a piece of music and noting the art vs looking at a PRV and then the extra chore of associating the note to art is bit tiresome - even with good Drum Maps, which I have. 

Which is why I outsource all my scoring work to another program.  I really don't expect Cakewalk to reach the level of art processing I need.   I do expect it to be good enough for scratch work (simple art with maybe some peds, De- and Crescendos, and other basic stuff), but for the detail work I don't think that is what X1 and its siblings will achieve or need to achieve.

I do like you 80% solution.

Katherine  

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:How do you handle keyswitches? 2011/02/03 12:03:01 (permalink)
    Anyboady got any good work-arounds for handling this?

Hi Greg,

Kontakt's custom scripting could be used to circumvent the problem - for anything loaded into Kontakt.
    Not much help for anything else...  

I like Keith's idea for "Key Maps"... where Sonar looks back for the last note. 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1