How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ?

Author
jjroxus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2009/04/01 01:15:45 (permalink)

How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ?

I have a song I have finished that has eight tracks. It's ready to be export as .wav tracks for CD burning. The only problem is that it has about fifteen seconds of blank space before the tracks start. When I export to the .wav tracks I get this silence before the song starts. I have tried to select all and drag to zero but nothing will move. I have tried to select all and cut and then put the cursor at zero and paste- and still nothing moves. Could this have something to do with having some tracks with VVocal and audio snap? I would really like to get this figured out as it is driving me crazy. Help would be much appreciated. I am using Sonar 7 with the most recent update.

JJ

JJROXUS
Windows 7 64-bit, ADK i7 2600 3.4GHz 24 gig RAM, 120g SSD 2 Seagate-1Tb HD, Focusrite 18i, Roland A300 PRO, Mackie HM-54, Focal Solo 6 Be & Adam A7x Monitors

10 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 01:28:26 (permalink)
    The simple way is take the exported wav file and import it into a new project then slip edit the part that you don't want and slide it over to zero. That last slide is unnecessary if you then bounce or export it. Getting back to your project. If you have a V Vocal clip in your project that could cause the inability to move all the tracks.

Best
    John
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 01:40:04 (permalink)
    if you select all the tracks.. (i.e. ctrl - a) then you can't move the tracks to the left..
    you would need to select the area from i.e. measure 7 to the end of the song..(after you have selected all) then you can move the tracks to the left,
    but then you wouldn't need to move them.. just export from that position on and don't start exporting from the start of your project!
    if you move the tracks like I described above it can mess up your project as i.e. tempo-maps don't move with the tracks.

so,.. I wouldn't try to move the tracks to the left.. if I do so I usually use the "cut" option (ctrl-x)..
    in detail..
    (ctrl-a)
    then select in the upper ruler the area from 0 to where you want to cut..
    (ctrl-x) (have a look at the options menu that opens now.. there's something like "close gap" or so)
    done

but still the easiest way is to just select the area you want to export..
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 06:34:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, simply select all (ctrl + a), then just drag along the timeline for the area you want exported, i.e. ignoring the first 15 seconds, set your options and export.

I think this is what Frank was suggesting.....

I wouldn't bother with the extra hassle of exporting the whole thing into a new project then slip editing etc. This seems like unecessary work.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    CoteRotie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 09:24:01 (permalink)
    Or just put the timeline where you want your export to start and type CTRL-A, then function key F9.

John

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
    Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
    3 cats 1 crazydog
    Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
    SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
    Win 10  
    SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
    corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 10:17:58 (permalink)
    Or download Audacity... that's what I usually use to finalize (heads and tails) of a song
    javahut
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 361
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 10:26:28 (permalink)
    Or... easy way... just select all the tracks to export. Then highlight on the timeline, from beginning to end, what you want exported. The export will only be from the start to the end of the highlighted time. Set markers for start/stop and select everything between the start/stop markers if you want to be able to repeat the exact same export time every time.

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
    Canartic.Modulotion.out now!
    Canartic . Lossless Downloads now available.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 10:39:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John

The simple way is take the exported wav file and import it into a new project then slip edit the part that you don't want and slide it over to zero. That last slide is unnecessary if you then bounce or export it. Getting back to your project. If you have a V Vocal clip in your project that could cause the inability to move all the tracks.

This is going to result in another trip through the audio engine and that's why I think it's important to have a wav editor to do mastering. Audacity, SoundForge, Wavlab.. anything so you can edit your exported wav file. You might need to fade and trim the ends... do some final gain change, resample to 44.1, bit reduce to 16bit. I do all that in SoundForge after I have export from Sonar at the project sample rate and at 24bit.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/04/01 10:48:06
    corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 11:01:30 (permalink)
    Agreed, Frank.
    Except, I do the dithering to 16 bit 44.1 when I export from Sonar, because I master in my master bus. Basically, the export from Sonar is the master copy, and then I just clean up heads and tails with Audacity, that way I'm not having everything re-calculated.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 15:12:21 (permalink)
    This is going to result in another trip through the audio engine and that's why I think it's important to have a wav editor to do mastering. Audacity, SoundForge, Wavlab.. anything so you can edit your exported wav file. You might need to fade and trim the ends... do some final gain change, resample to 44.1, bit reduce to 16bit. I do all that in SoundForge after I have export from Sonar at the project sample rate and at 24bit.

Yes true to a point but if using Sonar's audio engine at 64 bits FP and just trimming the length that should not have any impact on, well anything. I also have SF and use it for many of the same things but I have found for 90% or better of the stuff I do I only need Sonar. If I don't have any hard core editing to do to a file or stuff that SF is great at doing Sonar fills all my needs 90 % of the time. Either way in this case the file that was already created and exported can be further edited either in Sonar or SF. It really makes no real difference. To me SF seems like overkill for anything that is ready for mastering.

For getting to CD I use CD Architect.

Edit I should say in the past Sonar was not ready for this sort of thing now I believe it is. Sound Forge was needed for mastering and so many other things. Now Sonar is a great mastering tool on its own with the right plugins. As I have noted before I have a template for mastering in Sonar that serves me well. I like the environment in Sonar much better then in SF for this too.
    post edited by John - 2009/04/01 15:25:12

Best
    John
    RodC
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: How do you move all song tracks to start a zero ? 2009/04/01 18:50:33 (permalink)
    I like to use markers:

Provided you have no other markers, this will save your selection and keep you from having to do it again if you have to mix down more than one time.

Move to the exact point you want the song to start
    Press F11 to create a marker (Name it Start)
    Move to the exact point you want the song to end
    Press F11 to create a marker (Name it End)

Press Ctrl + A to select all
    (This will collect the whole length)
    If you then click on the Start marker (Right on the word Start) it will only select what is in between

Then do your file export to mix it down.

post edited by RodC - 2009/04/01 18:59:29

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com/

'sorta like a peace rally fist fight'

SPE X1c  MOTU 24 i/o,  AMD Phenom II X6 3.3 GHz 8G RAM, SSD OS HD
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1