How do you send MIDI files from one computer to another?

Author
MelodicJimmy
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 668
2011/02/12 02:50:46 (permalink)

How do you send MIDI files from one computer to another?

Once again, thanks for all of your help with my questions in the past couple of weeks.  So, here's another one.... I'm sure it's an easy one:

My keyboard player recorded some tracks in Music Creator.  He has a REALLY cheap keyboard that's MIDI so he uses it as a controller and he inserts the TTS-1 in Music Creator.  What is the best way for him to send me the tracks that he recorded? 

I read somewhere that, if you right click the MIDI track and select "bounce to," then drag the track to the location where you want to save it, that is an acceptable way of exporting the MIDI track.  First of all, is this the correct way so far? 

Secondly - assuming what I just said is correct, what's the next step?  Open up a MIDI track on my computer, then a soft synth, then IMPORT the MIDI track that he bounched from his computer?

I'm totally sorry if this is confusing, but I'm confused myself!  lol! 

Toshiba Ultrabook Laptop (Core i7)/ Sonar Platinum/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
10 gigs ram/ solid state drive/ Roland Cubix 22 interface/ M-Audio 88-key Keystation MIDI Controller/ Samson Monitors/ Sibelius 7 Notation

3 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:How do you send MIDI files from one computer to another? 2011/02/12 07:03:29 (permalink)
    I think you can just save the project as a midi file. Midi format 1 would keep all the tracks separate.

And you can just open a Midi file just like you would a normal Cakewalk project.

It all depends on what else you have going on in the project. You can open the midi file he sends you and then add soft synths and other tracks.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:How do you send MIDI files from one computer to another? 2011/02/12 07:58:26 (permalink)
    Chappel has the right answer.  have him SAVE AS MIDI FORMAT 1.  it will only save the MIDI tracks, even if he has TTS-1 or even if he has AUDIO in the project, the result of that will be ONLY a MIDI file in format 1. 

when you get it you just need to IMPORT it in your project.  if you open it all you'll get is the MIDI file, if you IMPORT it into your current project then it will open inside your project.

you'll likely have to do some clean up after you import it.  MIDI format 1 will open 16 new tracks and some of them will be empty (probably all except 1 depending on what he recorded).  just delete the empty ones.

then you'll need to set up a softysnth or hardware synth as output in your project.  his TTS-1 will not come with the MIDI file.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    MelodicJimmy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re:How do you send MIDI files from one computer to another? 2011/02/12 09:21:25 (permalink)
    Whoa!  I have NOT been doing that.  Thanks for the replies!  Will keep you updated. 

Toshiba Ultrabook Laptop (Core i7)/ Sonar Platinum/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    10 gigs ram/ solid state drive/ Roland Cubix 22 interface/ M-Audio 88-key Keystation MIDI Controller/ Samson Monitors/ Sibelius 7 Notation

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1