How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2012/09/28 16:57:05 (permalink)

How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo?

I have a Pioneer Premier in dash CD player, 8 or 9 years old. I need to update to something I can hhook an i-pod to and that is XM/Sirrius ready... but that is another story.

What I wonder is how you set the bass/mid/treble. I have always run one of  two ways. Either Loudness on with the bass on 2 mid on 1 and treble on 4 or 5.. OR Loudness off with bass on 3 or 4 mid on 1 and treble on 4 or 5. It also has a frong speaker enhancement thing that I use sometimes, according to the CD or whatever.

Lately I have been leaning more toward Loud off with bass settings the same but I have been bumping the mids to 3 and lowering the treble to 3 or even 2.

What do you do, I know it changes from CD to CD or song to song according to mastering or if it is from the early 70s or 2000+

Any thoughts on settings.... also not to derail but I am interested in a new in dash player that will accomodate all the new tech. Recommend?

Thanks, 

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

33 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 17:00:58 (permalink)

It depends how fast I'm driving.

But, most of the time I leave it disengaged so it's all zero'd out.

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 17:07:37 (permalink)
    I have got a rather nice stereo system that was installed in the Toyota Corolla that I own. It is definitely not a standard unit and sounds very good and it has quite advanced tone control.

I apply the same approach that I would use in tuning a PA into a room. Start with a reference CD. You must be familiar with how this sounds on good monitors in a nice acoustic environment. I use the last two CD's (All digital) from Steely Dan as a great ref CD. 

Just sit in the car and play it and fine tune the EQ settings to get as close as you can to how it should sound. Simple as that. It can be quite revealing actually as start with the EQ flat to see how the car emphasises certain parts of the spectrum and fine tune those. Then maybe adjust to taste eg a little more bass or highs etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 17:26:38 (permalink)
    I adore bass, but not in the car rumbling my windows and bothering whoever pulls up beside me.  I have a Bose audio system in my car and I heart it greatly.  Bass set one click below mid and treble two clicks up (I'm a Soprano, I like treble, too, what can I say?)

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    jbow
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 18:00:12 (permalink)
    I use the last two CD's (All digital) from Steely Dan as a great ref CD. 

I agree with your approach. AJA should work great for this. Back in the stone age I used Low Rider (the song) and the Bare Trees by Fleetwood Mac (maybe not the best choice but I was very familiar with is.. besides a friend recommended it and as I have said I am very easily influenced) again I digress...

Do you not find that though you have tweaked using well recorded and mastered material that other songs/albums require something entirely different because they just are not done as well? I still think that Low Rider is a great reference when trying out a stereo or speakers... and I will add AJA to that (I have AJA). 

What do you think about raising the mids a bit.I just never considered that because I just always thought it wasn't a good idea but, perhaps it is my aging ears, I think the vocals and guitars sound better. This all started when I chose the used the "natural" setting and noticed that it was almost all flat... I don't remember right now the actual settings. Anyway, thanks.

J

@Jules I like basstoo, not over powering or boomy bass. I like tight bass and I like the sub in my wifes car, but I like it set on 1. I don't want to be that guy who you hear with the bass thumping when I am 1/4 mile down the road... I'm sure you are the same. BTW, I don't know if I have ever told you this but I grew up being Jule. My family still calls me that. I found it too hard to explain when I moved away so I just use Julien.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 18:02:07 (permalink)
    (I'm a Soprano, I like treble, too, what can I say?)

Hey... in HS and college (voice major) I was a 1st tenor... sort of the same for a guy. I used to really love chamber chorus. Good times.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 18:25:56 (permalink)
    MY Honda Oddeyysseeyy (sp?) has a stock system. Bass and treble. Because of my high end hearing loss I boost the treble to 3-5 (on a top scale of 5) and the bass to 2.

Not sure I want a audiophile EQ unit in my car(s).

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 18:28:38 (permalink)

I have a old 2001 Odyssey. It seems to treat sound pretty well with the stock speakers and the cheapest SONY CD player I could find at Best Buy.

best,
    mike

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 18:55:11 (permalink)
    I just adjust mine 'til it just starts to roll with the hanbrake on.

Then turn it up to 11.

The Piezo's are good for extra thrust at the top end speeds.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 19:33:12 (permalink)
    jbow

I have a Pioneer Premier in dash CD player, 8 or 9 years old. I need to update to something I can hhook an i-pod to and that is XM/Sirrius ready... but that is another story.

What I wonder is how you set the bass/mid/treble. I have always run one of  two ways. Either Loudness on with the bass on 2 mid on 1 and treble on 4 or 5.. OR Loudness off with bass on 3 or 4 mid on 1 and treble on 4 or 5. It also has a frong speaker enhancement thing that I use sometimes, according to the CD or whatever.

Lately I have been leaning more toward Loud off with bass settings the same but I have been bumping the mids to 3 and lowering the treble to 3 or even 2.

What do you do, I know it changes from CD to CD or song to song according to mastering or if it is from the early 70s or 2000+

Any thoughts on settings.... also not to derail but I am interested in a new in dash player that will accomodate all the new tech. Recommend?

Thanks, 

Julien

I drive a 14 year old Volvo V70XC, it has a "Volvo System" I'm sure they didn't design themselves. Never touch the faders.

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 19:50:34 (permalink)
    I use presets.  they're the mcshizzle.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 20:28:30 (permalink)
    In my GMC Sierra, the bass is overwhelming. It's the stock GM radio, but if you look real close, it's the same speakers as the Bose system upgrade. You just don't get the logo, and the Bose amp's.

It has digital controls so imagine a slider ranger from 0 (Lowest Setting) to 100 (Highest Setting). I have the bass set to 25, midrange set to 48, and treble set to 54. It's how I determine how my personal CD's are done. If I can listen while driving through town at the same volume and EQ settings without being compelled to adjust anything, I call it done.

I've often wished I could rig something up somehow to master my CD's in the driver seat of my truck. I know it sounds crazy, but it's dead silent, it's a tight space with very little surrounding area influence, especially without the engine running, and in the garage there are no outside sounds.

I imagine if my radio had an external input (it's old and doesn't have any inputs), I could throw Sound Forge or Sonar on a laptop and do it that way in the truck.

I also have a Honda Fit. The proprietary factory stereo (meaning it's part of the dash and nothing else will fit there but the OEM stereo), is 200watts, and kicks freakin' ass! It plays MP3's, WMA's, CD's, and has an 1/8" input. The new Fit's have a USB input standard! Unfortunately, this thing will last me 30 years so I'll never get one. I set it flat and crank away.

Honda is so awesome. They thought ahead with the CD player. They put a little micro fiber brush where the CD slides in so it catches most of the dust. I lived on a gravel road for years. I had the truck and the Fit about the same amount of time. I destroyed two CD players because of dust in the truck, none in the Fit.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 21:17:05 (permalink)
    I run all my eq's on everything (car stereo's, entertainment center, boom boxes etc) completely flat as often as possible. No surround sound or bass boost type stuff ever. However, on some systems, I have taken a piece of music that I know very well and have eq'd the system so it sounds right and then I leave it alone. I try to never add bass to where things are pumping, never add excessive mids to warm anything up and never add highs to where it's crispy. I think a happy medium is the best bet without over-doing anything especially if you will be listening to your own stuff and judging your mixes.

In my Vette I don't touch a thing other than a notch of treble since that system seems to accentuate bass a bit more. My Lincoln has the system from hell in it, so I don't need to touch that. For some reason, everything sounds great in that without touching anything. My utility vehicles seem to favor mids, so I drop the mids down a notch or two.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    jbow
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 21:44:56 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone... 
    and Jon..
    if you drove that thing...
    and if you were my neighbor... 
    I would probably shoot you sooner or later, probably sooner. Well, at least I'd destroy your speakers.

I actually went out armed a couple of nights last year around 11:00 PM looking for whoever was pumping bass, it turned out to be some huge dump trucks working on a paving job on hwy 41. They have some sort of vibration thing that helps empty the truck but a half mile away it sounds like some big bass speakers... I was mad as he77. 
    I'm glad it was dump trucks... my family needs me, at least I think they do..

Again, thanks everyone. I think I will futz around with flat some more, maybe kick the treble up a little because of my old ears too.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/28 23:02:12 (permalink)
    Top up, bass and treble right in the middle.
    Top down, I hit the Bass Boost button once... maybe twice.
    It's a 12 year-old old Sony AM/FM with cassette deck with a 10-disk CD changer in the trunk.
    It still works okay. The display has faded to the point that I can't see it, but I didn't buy it to look at it.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 00:56:28 (permalink)
    Flat ....

If it was up to me I would make everyone only listen to flat monitors and ban ear buds and mp3 and make it illegal and a 2000 dollar fine if caught with a non flat monitor and an mp3 and ear buds 

Seriously though ...everything I eq flat in my car and it's some sorta Sony system with a USB to my WAVE only iPod 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 02:57:59 (permalink)
    Mooch,

What's the fine for calling stereo mono?

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 03:43:54 (permalink)
    How do I set the EQ?  With the little buttons.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 04:12:39 (permalink)

Totally flat apart from a bit of reduction in the low end, like this:

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 08:42:01 (permalink)
    bapu

Mooch,

What's the fine for calling stereo mono?

AT least a billion dollars and one swift kick in the ass with a steel toe flip flop 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 09:10:58 (permalink)
    My old (now gone) work van had a killer sound system from the factory..... the newer one I now drive not so much...... so I listen to alot of MP3 with buds....(ear buds... not to confuse with the other kind of buds) 

My personal PU has a decent factory stereo but nothing to brag about. 

On the EQ..... generally close to flat but that depends too on the source material.... talk or music...

Talk= lows cut, highs a slight boost.

Music= lows and highs boosted to taste

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/09/29 09:35:02 (permalink)

The system in my car is a stock unbranded built in 'Infotainment' (what a vile word ) unit that combines a CD player/radio and Sat Nav. It has eight speakers all in all built into the doors (1 driver, 1 tweeter in each) and sounds pretty good for a stock system.

I generally find that I leave the treble boosted to around 40 - 50% to cut through the road noise, and I adjust the bass from about +10% - + 80% according to the CD I'm listening to. It sounds pretty lifeless with the EQ set flat, but a little adjusting does improve the sound significantly. And it's quite loud too, and doesn't distort at higher volumes.

One really neat feature is that it 'remembers' different EQ settings for CD, FM radio and AM radio. For CD the settings are much as described about, with FM stations I have the treble pulled down and the bass generally a little higher, and for AM stations (mainly 5Live and Talksport, which are both 'talk' radio) I have a big treble boost and the bass set flat, or even slightly cut.

My Vectra's engine is a really quiet V6 Turbo so with all the windows up and travelling at urban speeds, it's quite a pleasant listening environment. The biggest distraction at higher speeds in defintely tyre/road noise, but to compensate for this, the player automatically starts increasing the volume of the music (by a user-determinable amount) as the car rises above a certain speed.

I seem to remember that an older version of RealPlayer allowed you to burn CDs and/or mp3 discs that were automatically EQ'd to sound better on car stereos. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I never tried it, either because it was a premium feature (i.e. they charged for it) or because I couldn't be arsed.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2012/09/29 09:40:54

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 13:43:02 (permalink)
    you guys have tone controls?

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 14:28:37 (permalink)
    Bose factory system with 8 speakers all run with fiber optics. It has a "Driver Optimization" setting that self adjusts faders and balance so it sounds best for me. It sounds so good and clear, that I am always picking up new sounds on older stuff that I never noticed before. I set it "flat" for the eq. It's just how I roll.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 15:51:21 (permalink)
    I had a CD player in my mini-van once.  Not anymore.  No vehicular music for me.  Now, when I'm driving, I'm hearing voices I haven't heard since the '70's.
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 17:27:56 (permalink)
    flat as a pancake.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Bub
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 17:38:55 (permalink)
    yorolpal

flat as a pancake.
    Good album.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 20:59:13 (permalink)
    It depends on the car and the unit.

Craig DuBuc
    Bub
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/03 21:16:48 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

Bose factory system with 8 speakers all run with fiber optics. It has a "Driver Optimization" setting that self adjusts faders and balance so it sounds best for me. It sounds so good and clear, that I am always picking up new sounds on older stuff that I never noticed before. I set it "flat" for the eq. It's just how I roll.

Randy
    Don't know if you're joking about the rest of it, but I have driven in cars with that 'Driver Optimization' feature.

When I was in KC looking at houses, my realestate agent noticed I was clinching on to the seat for dear life because of her driving, so she let me drive her brand new Cadillac-ac-ac-ac Escalade. I was shocked to be honest, but I wasn't going to turn her down. Honestly, I couldn't make it sound bad ... Even when I set the tone controls totally out of whack, with that 'Driver Optimization' thingy on, it sounded good no matter what I did.

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:How do you set the EQ on your car/truck stereo? 2012/10/04 08:04:38 (permalink)
    You know I was thinking about this last night and I think I got jipped!

I put the key in the iginition (at least the times I can remember) and the music (and voices) start automatically.........

I dont have to do a thing!...........but then I have no control over it either!

My choices are either continue onward with what I have or bike it!

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob