How good are roland KB sounds

Author
wyndham
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2007/12/25 13:13:52 (permalink)

How good are roland KB sounds

I 'm just learning about different SoftSynths and I have bought the Dim Pro upgrade, I also have a roland xv 88 keyboard. How do these hardware patches and preformance sounds compare in quality to Dim Pro or some other SoftSynth.
The control that Dim Pro or others might be greater but would like to know what others think. Merry Christmas Wyndham

10 Replies Related Threads

wyndham
    RE: How good are roland KB sounds 2007/12/27 12:11:04 (permalink)
    OK let me ask this another way, the Dim Pro or any other synth has a certain bit depth quality and keyboards have sounds, patches, samples written onto a hardware card of a certain quality. If I go midi out of the sequencer to the KB and analog back to a mixer, except for the synth controls is hardware same, better, other than soft synth output.
    If any here were to choose a soft synth piano over a kb piano, is it just personal pref or a nuts and bolts reason one over the other. Part of the reason I'm asking is how best to allocate system resources. If I can outsource some the instruments that maybe equal to the synth, I would think that cuts down on my CPU usage.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: How good are roland KB sounds 2007/12/27 21:26:12 (permalink)
    I would think that cuts down on my CPU usage.

Yes. It does ease your cpu load. I would use what I liked and had available hard or soft.

I do tend to use software over hardware It's just easier to do, nothing more.

Quality? what sounds good you use.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: How good are roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 11:08:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wyndham

OK let me ask this another way, the Dim Pro or any other synth has a certain bit depth quality and keyboards have sounds, patches, samples written onto a hardware card of a certain quality. If I go midi out of the sequencer to the KB and analog back to a mixer, except for the synth controls is hardware same, better, other than soft synth output.
    If any here were to choose a soft synth piano over a kb piano, is it just personal pref or a nuts and bolts reason one over the other. Part of the reason I'm asking is how best to allocate system resources. If I can outsource some the instruments that maybe equal to the synth, I would think that cuts down on my CPU usage.

Wyndham,

The latest softsynth pianos, products like Synthology Ivory, are superior to hardware synths, but do require a lot of computing power.

The latest hardware pianos, products like Roland's RD700SX, Yamaha's S90ES, Kawai's M8 are all excellent and have such realistic sounding pianos that most people cannot tell one of these digitals from an acoustic grand piano in a recording.

The pianos on the Roland XV are an older generation and inferior to anything we've discussed so far, including the piano in Dimension Pro. Given the choice between Grand XV and Dimension Pro, I'd choose the latter.

However, if you're keeping your XV, then you have an excellent alternative for around $200 that will unload your computer, the SRX-11 Complete Piano card. The piano sample on that card is the very same used in Roland's RD700SX, Superior Grand. I use it and it's an excellent product.

If you're interested in digital acoustic piano samples, this is not the best place for information. Why not check out Pianoworld.com forum? They discuss these kinds of topics all the time on their digital piano forum.

Also, check out purgatorycreek.com's digital shootout, which has mp3 recordings of dozens of piano samples. Granted mp3 is not always the best way to evaluate samples because of losses in the conversion process, but I think they are very good for comparing the sound of each piano.

--kwgm
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: How good are roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 12:14:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lawapa

I do tend to use software over hardware It's just easier to do, nothing more.

What hardware are you talking about?

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    lawapa
    RE: How good are Roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 14:34:26 (permalink)
    Well I quit buying hardware quite a ways back. Since the stuff I do have is old enough that most people wouldn't recognize the model I don't often list this stuff.
    Yamaha-SY99, 2 tx81z's, Roland- D110. I won't go so far as to say dinosaurs but they so far away from cutting edge it's not funny. But I use software for that. And like that much more that hardware. It's not like I don't appreciate new shiny boxes with fancy blinking lights It's a money thing.
    post edited by lawapa - 2007/12/28 14:49:45
    wyndham
    RE: How good are Roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 17:13:55 (permalink)
    KWGM, thanks, that is some great info. I used the piano as a way of opening this discussion. Our church has the Roland RD700SX and i love the sounds and the interface. I'm learning what works with what the better because the "Best" is sometimes a carrot chased with $$$$. This helps me know where to use the xv-88 and start developing my meager skills on the Dim Pro side for a bit.
    I found the Martin guitar in the Dim Pro, very nice. If any have a method for up strum for this , I'd love to hear about it. I'm thinking it might have to be done in the step Seq as I can't see a practical way to play it live with up and down strum. If it can be done, please point me in the general direction. I just installed the upgrade yesterday and still getting use to it and quite a learning curve for me at least.
    My goal in all of this is to create interesting backing tracks for the music my wife and I write. She may or may not wish to add something to a live performance but it can take the burden off and give more to the lyrics.
    Thanks for the help Wyndham
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: How good are Roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 18:36:21 (permalink)
    Wyndham,

That Martin sample is excellent. For a strum, check out the midi articulation sets from Keyfax. You'll find these over on the Motifator.com marketplace. I've never used them, but I hear they are good. They're MIDI, so they may be an adequate starting place at minimum.

I own an XV3080, and the Roland sounds are great, but you have to be careful about which ones you use. I also have a Fantom XR rack, but I prefer some of the XV sounds over the newer Fantom set. With both synths, and a couple of SRX cards, it's a pretty good set of synth sounds.

I almost bought the Roland RD700SX last year, but then Yamaha came out with the S90ES and it was a better keyboard all around, with a full blown Motif ES synth to boot. But I always did like the sound of its Superior Grand--I'm so glad that it's on SRX.

Good luck and enjoy.

--kwgm
    lawapa
    RE: How good are Roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 18:39:22 (permalink)
    Enter a guitar cord in Piano roll view E3 should correspond to the low e on the guitar. Then offset the notes by 10- 20 ticks/clicks for a fast strum or more for a slower strum. If you prefer using the staff view it should show in the Piano roll view after you enter the cords.
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: How good are Roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 19:10:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lawapa

Well I quit buying hardware quite a ways back. Since the stuff I do have is old enough that most people wouldn't recognize the model I don't often list this stuff.
    Yamaha-SY99, 2 tx81z's, Roland- D110. I won't go so far as to say dinosaurs but they so far away from cutting edge it's not funny. But I use software for that. And like that much more that hardware. It's not like I don't appreciate new shiny boxes with fancy blinking lights It's a money thing.

I see. I haven't used any of those synths, but they are all probably tough beasts to program. I know 1-unit rack FM synths and romplers are no fun at all.

When I started, I was a student who could only afford second hand synths, and low-end stuff, so I had experience with a couple Korg romplers (X5D and Wavestation), a Roland JV1010, an Emu ESI-2000 sampler (with a two-line LCD screen), stuff like that. It was all very uninspiring when it came to sound programming. One day I found a Juno-106 in the ads and I bought it. That thing opened my eyes to a new world of hands-on sound making. I also found a Moog Prodigy (for $150, can you believe that?), and saved my pennies for a Korg MS2000R. I decided I would never buy a menu-based hardware synth again. Now I have only 5 HW synths (at some points I had around 12) and all of them are packed with knobs. I also have tons of softsynths. I love them all and use them all together. And when I need rompler sounds, Dimension Pro and Wusikstation do the job.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    lawapa
    RE: How good are Roland KB sounds 2007/12/28 19:59:57 (permalink)
    tough beasts to program

I started with mini moog and a arp Omni Mk 2 (1977-81) neither one midi cappable. It was all sliders and knobs.
    post edited by lawapa - 2007/12/28 20:17:36
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1