Helpful ReplyHow have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CakeHead
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2010/03/28 13:24:15 (permalink)

How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit)

Hi,

I'm in the process of transferring my DAW to a new rig. This will also be the first time I use Sonar in x64 mode.

So far, installation has gone fine. The only question mark I have related to 32b vs 64b VST plugins.

For 10 years, I've been accustomed to having them located under c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins.

This folder under a x64 operating system is now known as c:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VSTplugins.

That's fine. I get that. And the VSTs I'm installing seem to recognize that folder just fine during installation. However, those that can do x64 and prompt me for a location for the x64 location do not default where I thought they would... ie, c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins -- instead, they propose to install the x64 VST plugin in the company's own file space... ie, c:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt\etc.

The first plugin to do this was the Superior Drummer 2.0 VST, and that one specifically requires that the x64 VST be located at a specific location that cannot be changed and doesn't play well with others. So I thought this would be a lone exception.

But now that I'm seeing this is going to be an issue going forward with 32/64 plugins, I thought I'd ask what everyone here does so I don't regret whatever I decide to go with.

Here are the options as I see them :
  1. c:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VSTplugins = All 32bit VST(i)s
    c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins = All 64bit VST(i)s
  2. c:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VSTplugins = 32bit Cakewalk-installed VST(i)s
    c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins = 64bit Cakewalk-installed VST(i)s
    c:\Program Files (x86)\VSTplugins = All other 32bit VST(i)s
    c:\Program Files\VSTplugins = All other 64bit VST(i)s
  3. c:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VSTplugins = 32bit Cakewalk-installed VST(i)s
    c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins = 64bit Cakewalk-installed VST(i)s
    c:\VSTplugins\32 = All other 32bit VST(i)s
    c:\VSTplugins\64 = All other 64bit VST(i)s
Which hierarchy seems the soundest to you guys (before I commit and install 200GB worth of stuff)?

thanks.
post edited by CakeHead - 2010/03/28 13:26:19

MB: P6T · CPU: i7 920 · RAM: 12GB (6x2) · HD1: WD Caviar 1TB · HD2: WD Caviar 1TB · VC: XFX GT240 · SC: Echo Gina3G · OS: Win7x64 · DAW: Sonar 8.5.3 
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/28 16:03:02 (permalink)
I personally use your option one. I don't see the point in having more VST folders than is needed. Of course it may be different for others using other audio programs.

I also bought and installed JBridge which may or may not be part of 8.5.3 but I'm led to believe integrates as seamlessly as bitbridge does. I am on 8.3.1 so I had a little set up work with jbridge.

The reason I mention it is that I have a jbridge folder within my (x86)VST folder which is where jbridge writes it's files and I don't scan my (x86)VST folder, only the jbridge folder. As I said though if you do use jbridge in 8.5 none of that should concern you as the integration is better. I find jbridge better than bitbridge, especially the gui for presets etc.
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/28 23:07:09 (permalink)
I wasn't even aware there was competition for BitBridge. Anyone else feel the same about JBridge?

I'd also like more opinions on the VST folders set-up, if possible.

Thanks!

MB: P6T · CPU: i7 920 · RAM: 12GB (6x2) · HD1: WD Caviar 1TB · HD2: WD Caviar 1TB · VC: XFX GT240 · SC: Echo Gina3G · OS: Win7x64 · DAW: Sonar 8.5.3 
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/28 23:17:23 (permalink)
When a plugin want to install to C:/Program Files/Plugin Name its because that's where it puts its stand alone version and other necessary files. The dll that forms the actual plugin will be installed to a VST Plugins folder.

Most installers ask for both sets of info ie. Where to place the program info and where to put the VST etc plugin.

that's certainly the case with Native Instrument's plugins as well as Toontrack , IKMultimedia etc

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/28 23:31:05 (permalink)
IMO, It makes sense to maintain the default Windows convention of installing 32Bit software under
C:\Program Files (x86)
And installing 64Bit software under
C:\Program Files

I use apps in addition to Sonar... which I don't want trying to access VST plugins that are specifically tied/limited to Sonar.  Thus, I use the following means to organize VST plugins

• Sonar's 32Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

• Sonar's 64Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

• Third-party 32Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins

• Third-party 64Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files\VstPlugins

This keeps installs clean/organized... and offers total flexibility.
Sonar x86 scans both 32Bit plugin folders.
Sonar x64 scans both 32Bit plugin folders and both 64Bit plugin folders.  If you want to limit Sonar x64 to only using 64Bit plugins, you simply remove the paths to the 32Bit plugin folders.
Other host DAW applications scan the Third-Party (non Cakewalk) plugin folders... thus avoiding error messages from VST plugins that only function in Sonar.
post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/03/28 23:32:12

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
papa2005
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3250
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 02:24:35 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry has the right idea...Then again, he knows just a little bit about DAW systems...*LOL*

Regards,
Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 02:40:36 (permalink)
Well, he just described Option #2 on my list (see OP) word for word, if I'm not mistaken. :)

papa2005
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3250
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 04:38:27 (permalink)
CakeHead

Well, he just described Option #2 on my list (see OP) word for word, if I'm not mistaken. :)

You are correct...I suppose at the time of reading your OP I was distracted by the different font styles...

Regards,
Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
Jim Roseberry
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 11:54:29 (permalink)

Yep... 
Just wanted to expain the how/why

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 13:08:53 (permalink)
But since most Sonar plugins DO work in other applications... for instance, you can use Sonitus FX in Adobe Audition if you'd like... doesn't it make more sense to have all the audio software scan all the folders? In which case, it would make separating them in 4 different folders unnecessary.

Or am I underestimating the problems that may arise from Adobe Audition scanning VST plugins meant for Sonar use?

Jim Roseberry
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 13:38:14 (permalink)
But since most Sonar plugins DO work in other applications... for instance, you can use Sonitus FX in Adobe Audition if you'd like... doesn't it make more sense to have all the audio software scan all the folders? In which case, it would make separating them in 4 different folders unnecessary. Or am I underestimating the problems that may arise from Adobe Audition scanning VST plugins meant for Sonar use?

As long as you keep things organized (keep 32Bit/64Bit plugin installs separate), there's no "wrong" means of structuring your VST plugin folders.

Using separate "3rd party" VST plugin folders allows more flexibility/control.
ie:  I use mostly 3rd party VST plugins... and I don't want my other Host DAW applications scanning thru all of Sonar's included VST plugins.  Of course, if you don't want/need that flexibility... it's totally unnecessary. 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 13:46:22 (permalink)
Does the physical location of the VSTs influence performance?

In other words, should an effort be made to keep them on a separate physical drive from the OS? By the looks of things, the answer seems to be no... but I just wanted to get that confirmed.

Thanks!

Jim Roseberry
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 13:50:14 (permalink)
In other words, should an effort be made to keep them on a separate physical drive from the OS? By the looks of things, the answer seems to be no... but I just wanted to get that confirmed.

Correct...
There would be no advantage to installing the VST plugins to a separate HD.

Now... if you're dealing with something like Kontakt, installing it's huge sample library to a dedicated "Samples" HD makes good sense (for maximum disk-streaming performance and to keep OS backups small/quick).  But the VST plugin dlls would still be on the boot HD...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 14:42:23 (permalink)
Once VST's are located in a folder... is it possible to move them to another (say I change my mind about the hierarchy at a later date) WITHOUT re-installing them, and simply by moving those .dll's?

e.Blue
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 693
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 14:57:17 (permalink)
CakeHead

Once VST's are located in a folder... is it possible to move them to another (say I change my mind about the hierarchy at a later date) WITHOUT re-installing them, and simply by moving those .dll's?

Most VSTs will still work if you move the the .DLL files to a different VST folder from the one that they were originally installed in. However, there are a few that will not work properly unless reinstalled. I say try it...and then just reinstall the ones that give you any problems.

-eB

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 
Mark D.
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 14:57:46 (permalink)
I may not be fully understanding. I recently installed a huge number of VST effects and soft-synths to a new laptop that run fine in my old XP machine. The laptop is Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I've installed everything, 32 and 64 bit, Sonar and non-Sonar, to the non-(x86) folder (ie. C:/program files/Cakewalk/Vstplugins). Is there a disadvantage to this, in combining 32bit and 64bit? Not meaning from an 'organized' standpoint, but performance. Also, do plug ins not work as well if they are in the 'wrong' folder? Meaning, if 32 bit are under 'program files (x86)/Cakewalk/Vstplugins' vs. the one above?  Any info on this would be appreciated.

www.westernmastering.com
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 16:34:18 (permalink)
I'm clearly no expert, but since x64 VSTs aren't identified as such in the dll's filename (Superior Drummer, for instance, uses the same filename for both dll's), I would be worried that installing a x64 VST in the same folder as the 32-bit version will squash the latter with the former.

Can anyone confirm this as a potential risk?

eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 20:20:29 (permalink)
Jim's right, you want the maximum flexibility possible, and his approach is one that can do that for you. The main thing is that you need to control what plugins get scanned by whatever DAW apps you have on your machine. I'm running Sonar 32-bit and 64-bit along side Cubase 32-bit and 64-bit along side Reaper 64-bit along side some other 32-bit apps that can use VST plugins. The more granular control I have per app, the better. Just group them into as many groups as you need to that make sense for the configuration of DAW apps that you have on the same machine. :)

I'll just add the following as an example:

If you are using jBridge with another DAW, such as Cubase, then you may want to use another directory. Sonar has BitBridge, of course, but it also can automatically wrap plugins in jBridge on-demand (per plugin) -- it's brilliant and seamless. However, Cubase, for example, does not. You have to wrap the plugins separately with a tool included with jBridge in order to use them with Cubase x64. Not a big deal, but those generated files need to go into a separate directory that Sonar will not see, since Sonar will either wrap a 32-bit plugin in jBridge automatically or run it inside BitBridge (the default). What you don't want is to have both the externally-wrapped jBridge plugins loaded with the BitBridged version of the same plugin, for example.

Thus, you'd create a new VST directory somewhere that contains "jBridged" plugins just for loading up in hosts that don't have native jBridge support (again, Cubase, but there are other uses for jBridge which is beyond the scope of this post that would be relevant as well).

Hope that makes sense. :)

If you don't also use Cubase or any other DAW app, then ignore what I just wrote. :)

Now, another quick note for the Reaper x64 folks who also use Sonar: it's also helpful to separate out the jBridged plugins since Reaper has its own Bridge, which is actually quite excellent by the way. So again, consider using an additional jBridged VST folder when using it along side Reaper x64's own bridge.

Bottom line, is that your particular configuration of DAW apps may be different than what I (or anyone else here) might use, so you have to think big picture and configure your directories to match the needs of those different apps. Again, the more control you have, the better. I'd honestly suggest you sit down with a piece of paper and draw a diagram of all the relevant DAW apps (and I'm including any app that can load VST plugins, including plugins that can load plugins) you will install on your machine, and break down and group all the plugins that come bundled with each app, all your third party plugins, wrapped plugins, bridged plugins, etc., so you can then organize them into the directories that make the most sense for your needs.

Good luck!
post edited by eratu - 2010/03/29 20:25:21
eratu
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 20:35:31 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Correct...
There would be no advantage to installing the VST plugins to a separate HD.

Now... if you're dealing with something like Kontakt, installing it's huge sample library to a dedicated "Samples" HD makes good sense (for maximum disk-streaming performance and to keep OS backups small/quick).  But the VST plugin dlls would still be on the boot HD...

There are exceptions to this. For example, if I recall properly, Camel Audio's Alchemy plugin (a really great plugin, BTW), installs its entire library on the same drive as the VST DLL. This is very annoying, since it's a large library. I prefer all samples to be stored on separate drives. I can't recall if you can manually move Alchemy's sample files later (I've left them in the default location for now), but that's one example, that for performance and space-savings sake, you might consider putting it on another hard drive. There are other similar plugins that are borderline in that their patch libraries also contain samples, and in some cases, a LOT of samples, and the developers have not yet added an installation-option, for example, to locate the samples on another drive.

Other than those few exceptions, I agree completely with Jim on this point that there would be no advantage to installing VST plugin DLLs on a separate hard drive. The vast majority of plugins that have sample libraries will ask you where to save those large sample files, and you should definitely be putting them on a different hard drive than your OS/boot/app drive.... but the VST DLLs themselves can stay on the OS/boot/app drive.
post edited by eratu - 2010/03/29 20:39:22
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/29 23:42:16 (permalink)
g:\VST-64\Manufacturer
z:\VST-32\Manufacturer

Sonar x64's plugin manager gets pointed to compatible manufacturer's folders within the VST-32 folder.

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/30 21:11:03 (permalink)

I find it annoying to have to explore/browse to a buried folder to get to shared content and ini files:
  E.G., C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR 4 Producer Edition\sample content\tutorials,....
     (Vista and 7 are even more annoying with burying folders/files)

I am very annoyed at ANY stuff put in the Documents folder. Only user stuff should be in the Docs folder. Demo Videos should not be copied to this location without triple confirmation.

In general  I try NOT to install music related programs into the Programs Files folder.

So, I have installed programs such as Sonar1,2,3,4 to folders in the C: folder: i.e.,  C:\Sonar2, C:\Sonar5, C:\Sonar8.5, etc.,...

Unfortunately, some programmers insist on creating folders in the Program Files folder, even though they are empty.  Truly annoying.

And I do NOT delete old versions of Sonar: I want access to the plug-ins and some of the utilities, i.e. studioware panel creation.
I have created a few other folders for audio stuff:
 NOTE:::  Create these folders before installing anything. And then POINT to this folder during the Sonar INSTALLATIONs. :::
 C:\AudioCommon   for installed small plugins, documents, and for some ORIGINAL shared content:
      sub-folders: (examples)
  \Dimenson
  \Pitchworks
  \Surfaces
  \Proteus
  \SharedDXI
  \Shared MIDI Plugins
  \Shared Plugins     (Sonar)
  \SharedVST          (Third party stuff)
(( This way each version of Sonar finds ALL of the plugs, cal,...))
Some plug-ins do not want to be in this folder: Kantos, Sony Noise Reduction. So Iput some of the files into the next folder.
  C:\AudioPrograms    for programs and big plugins with install routines:
        \MidiQuest
        \CDArchitect
        \Kantos
        \Sony Noise Reduction,...
  C:\Cakewalk Projects  folder is used for the picture cache.
  D:\Samples     for imported samples, and soundfonts,...
  E:\AudioProjects
       sub folders:
            \SonarProjects   for ALL project files and audio
                 \Audio   default Sonar DataDir set in the AUD.ini file
            \Presets   for presets I have used in projects, whether I created or found them
            \Templates
            \CDProjects  for CD files and for some exported wav files
            \CAL
            \MIDI Groove Clips
         And so on. 
All of this sorting provides for quicker access to configuration files, and for easier backup activities.
J      
--------------------------
How should we deal with Virus writers, identity thieves, and spammers?

My preference is life enslavement, as farm workers.
But I will settle for federal capital punishment, publically applied.

First offence for Spammers should be removal of the fingers to the first joint on their dominant hand, and both large toes (difficult to walk). Second offence takes the other hand's fingers. Third offence is 1 way to Somalia.

Branding the forehead should be standard procedure for all of them.

eratu
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/31 08:32:29 (permalink)
jm24

I am very annoyed at ANY stuff put in the Documents folder.

Unfortunately, some programmers insist on creating folders in the Program Files folder, even though they are empty.

I think it's Microsoft that is to "blame" if anyone is to blame for these types of things. They've set up expectations, usability guides, permission models, etc., of what a fully compliant application "should" do.

What I really appreciate are the developers who will do the "default" MS-inspired/compliant installation, but also provide total customization of where everything can go. And on top of that, I especially love it when updates/patches will remember exactly where to look to update all the components without asking you. :)
wwzeitler
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/31 08:39:28 (permalink)

I use apps in addition to Sonar... which I don't want trying to access VST plugins that are specifically tied/limited to Sonar.  Thus, I use the following means to organize VST plugins

• Sonar's 32Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

• Sonar's 64Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

• Third-party 32Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins

• Third-party 64Bit VST plugins get installed to
            C:\Program Files\VstPlugins

<snip>

BTW, Ableton Live (32bit only) only supports ONE VST folder! I had mine set up as above, but had to change it to accommodate Ableton. (Ugh!)
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/31 09:48:13 (permalink)
Thank you for your response:
" I think it's Microsoft that is to "blame" if anyone is to blame for these types of things. They've set up expectations, usability guides, permission models, etc., of what a fully compliant application "should" do. "

I agree. But I do have utilities and programs that keep ALL the related files in one folder. No DLLs put in the windows folder,... This is the way it was done in the beginning. And then MS allowed MS DLL files to be replaced. And now even more stupidity with hidden folders titled virtualstore.

All of sonar's files could be placed in one folder and sub folders with shortcuts pointing the way. I prefer audio programs to be in folder in the root directory for clarity.

And so on.

J
Phoenix
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1886
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/31 10:53:36 (permalink)
What works for me:
1) C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins--all plugins installed by Sonar x64.
2) C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins--all other 64-bit plugins.
3) C:\Program Files(x86)\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins--all plugins installed by Sonar 32--bit.
4) C:Program Files(x86)\VSTPlugins--all other 32-bit plugins except for those that have 64-bit counterparts; these go in:
5) C:\Program Files(x86)\VSTs too. This prevents unnecessary duplication in Sonar 64-bit; so far the NI plugins I have that have 64-bit versions have worked OK so no need for the 32-bit duplicates to show.
YMMV.
CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/03/31 18:20:19 (permalink)
What happens when there's a x86 and x64 version of the same plugin in separate folders, but Sonar x64 scans BOTH folders... does the plugin show up twice (once wrapped in BitBridge, and once not)?

CakeHead
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/04/01 10:28:03 (permalink)
*bump*
What happens when there's a x86 and x64 version of the same plugin in separate folders, but Sonar x64 scans BOTH folders... does the plugin show up twice (once wrapped in BitBridge, and once not)?
post edited by CakeHead - 2010/04/01 11:03:52

Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/04/02 03:18:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dlesaux 2013/12/26 11:30:47
CakeHead

Sonar is supposed to unload the x86 version and use the x64 version. So you will only see the x64 version, not a bridged one.

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Mark D.
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/04/05 13:23:46 (permalink)
I assume there's no problem if it sees both. I've seen 32 and 64 bit versions appear after a scan in the list of VST effects. One can just highlight the 32 bit version and exclude it from being visible in the future. I think having both appear is good, should you ever need to chose the other one.

My question again, if anyone knows this: Is the Program Files (x86), that can include a Cakewalk file, and a Vst folder, there for organizational convenience? Or is putting ALL VSTs into the Program Files/Cakewalk/VST folder, vs. diving them up into that and the x86 VST folder a problem?

Other than the perhaps inconvenience of having 32 and 64 bit versions appear after scanning, which can be hidden, or the user can just pick the 64 bit. I don't believe the inclusion or scanning of 32 bit versions pre-empts allowing the 64 bit version to appear or be used. Any thoughts on this?
RogueM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:How have you structured your VST folders? (32bit vs 64bit) 2010/04/09 13:12:36 (permalink)
The first plugin to do this was the Superior Drummer 2.0 VST, and that one specifically requires that the x64 VST be located at a specific location that cannot be changed and doesn't play well with others. So I thought this would be a lone exception.

Hi - I'm Rogue Marechal, configuration manager for Toontrack.

I wanted to clarify the above. We have currently released public betas of our software as 64 bit, and in that context, yes we do enforce a fixed path. Our official releases will of course let you specify your own custom path.

The reason we enforced a fixed path in the public beta has been touched upon herein, 32 and 64 dll have the same name, which is a requirement to seamlessly migrate users projects created with the 32 bit to the 64 bit (with all the flexibility in term of memory addressing that comes with it).

We therefore judged appropriate to give users a bit more time to understand how to manage 32 and 64 bit plugins, take away a bit of potentially dangerous decision making, and avoid at all cost anyone overwriting their 32 bit version in a middle of a project with set and tight deadline.

In addition, I fully agree with Jim's input herein and we have opted, including when it will come to official releases (a new Toontrack product, 32+64 bit out of the box, is in fact imminent) to suggest using C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\ for our 64 bit plugins and C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\ for the 32 bit versions. So in our upcoming releases (new products and current line updates) that is what you should expect to be the 'default' path for the plug-ins if you do not manually choose a different one.

As to why it "doesn't play well with others", I'm not sure what you meant by this, but you should be aware that, unlike the situation on 32 bit systems, there is no strong standard for installing 64 bit plug-ins, let alone document the main host/user's preference in the registry for us to use.

So, yes, in most cases, you should not expect our installers to magically guess what will work for your host or you. That said they are designed to 'know' where you wanted to install your other 64 bit Toontrack plug-ins the first time you installed one (or in case of uninstallation/reinstallation). This is not a new feature however and we were already providing this convenience in our 32 bit installers from the start many years back.

Anyway I wanted to explain why certain things are the way they are, and in our opinion, the closest to users expectations - or at least what their expectations should be in the context of loose guidelines to install 64 bit VST plug-ins.

I wish you all the best with your musical endeavour, whether they involve Toontrack products or not!

post edited by RogueM - 2010/04/13 06:42:20

Rogue Marechal
Toontrack Music
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1