Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mrneil2
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2012/12/13 09:58:06 (permalink)

How long will Windows 7 be supported?

The Background

Running X1 Producer Expanded in Windows XP on a Vostro laptop (see signature). From reading the forum it makes no sense to upgrade to X2 since it doesn’t support XP and will not work when the next X2 patch is released.

The Question

I’m a noob and really just want to make music, primarily audio tracks and EZ drummer.  Maybe a softsyn or two.  Small projects.  Have never gone over 12 tracks.

Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I upgraded only to Windows 7  now?  I don’t want to spend time troubleshooting Windows 8 like all the recent posts. 

What’s your guess for how long Cakewalk will support Windows 7?  Would I be in the same boat in 2 years?  

Software:Platinum    

Computer: HP Envy  i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz , 8GB Ram, 64bit Operating System, Windows 10
Western Digital (1TB) External Hard Drive
Roland Octa-Capture    
M-Audio Keystation 88es

33 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 10:07:50 (permalink)
    Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I upgraded only to Windows 7  now?

No. Win 7 is stable & mature
    I don’t want to spend time troubleshooting Windows 8 like all the recent posts.

Neither do I. That's why I probably won't upgrade again until Windows 9
    What’s your guess for how long Cakewalk will support Windows 7?

Who knows - best guess? A LONG time

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 10:24:21 (permalink)
    No one has a crystal ball and it depends on all the software and hardware company's. 

You could email or call all the company's that you have software and hardware with and ask them and take the chance the answer you truthfully

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 11:41:40 (permalink)
    WinXP is 11 years old.
    Win7 (3 years old) isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
    You'll be fine installing/using Win7x64 for the next several years.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 12:09:53 (permalink)

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 13:51:14 (permalink)
    A rule of thumb would be seven years after product is removed from the market - so expect about 2020?
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 14:38:11 (permalink)
    arachnaut's answer is probably the most definitive one you will get about Microft's support of the OS

How long Cakewalk will continue to make programs that will run under various versions of Windows, or to provide bug fixes..err I mean updates.. that will be backward compatible is more of a mystery. If your current version of Sonar runs under Windows 7, it should continue to do so. That does not guarantee that a bug fix designed to make the program work better in Windows 8 might not break that compatibility. In that case, you might have to uninstall the update and forgo the bug fix.

In any case, you can still get Windows 8 upgrades for $40.00, so if you install Win 7 now, you can save a cheap upgrade for later when the bugs are tamed a bit.
    Counting Coup
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 486
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 14:41:16 (permalink)
    Can 8 be successfully installed over 7 or is a clean install necessary? Anyone done it?
    slartabartfast
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 14:58:08 (permalink)
    Can 8 be successfully installed over 7 or is a clean install necessary? Anyone done it?

Someone has:
    http://www.itproportal.co...rade-or-clean-install/

but I probably would not.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 16:59:42 (permalink)
    I actually bought a new laptop earlier than planned specifically to make sure I could get Windows 7 rather than be forced onto 8.

I may well make the move at some point but Windows 7 is really solid for me so I'm sticking with what I know for now.
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 17:00:00 (permalink)
    As I understand it, Windows 8 does not ship with a DVD player. I think you need VLC or the Media player package. If you run the upgrade assistant it should tell you what you have that won't work.

I usually wait for Service Pack 1 before I install a new version of Windows.

Somewhere I saw installation notes on setting up a dual boot system - it looked pretty straightforward.

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 17:34:29 (permalink)
    mrneil2

The Background

Running X1 Producer Expanded in Windows XP on a Vostro laptop (see signature). From reading the forum it makes no sense to upgrade to X2 since it doesn’t support XP and will not work when the next X2 patch is released.

The Question

I’m a noob and really just want to make music, primarily audio tracks and EZ drummer.  Maybe a softsyn or two.  Small projects.  Have never gone over 12 tracks.

Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I upgraded only to Windows 7  now?  I don’t want to spend time troubleshooting Windows 8 like all the recent posts. 

What’s your guess for how long Cakewalk will support Windows 7?  Would I be in the same boat in 2 years?  

What trouble shooting posts for Windows 8? If you can run Windows 7 you can also run Windows 8.

You could DL the upgrade assistant and see how you fair.  

Best
    John
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 17:35:14 (permalink)
    From where I'm watching, it's looking like W7 will have even more staying power than XP as far as business users are concerned.  The attempt to provide an interface that's good for everything from small to large displays is not sitting well with the business user community.  Either MS does a lot to W8 to make it more large-monitor friendly or it will be resoundingly ignored by a user base that's adverse to change in the first place (time is money and all that).

Like someone else said, none of us has a crystal ball, but if I was forced to make a wager, it would be that W7 way more staying power than MS currently is expecting.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/13 17:45:03 (permalink)
    "Either MS does a lot to W8 to make it more large-monitor friendly or it will be resoundingly ignored by a user base that's adverse to change in the first place (time is money and all that)."

How is it large screen unfriendly? 

Best
    John
    dmbaer
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 16:23:53 (permalink)
    John

"Either MS does a lot to W8 to make it more large-monitor friendly or it will be resoundingly ignored by a user base that's adverse to change in the first place (time is money and all that)."

How is it large screen unfriendly? 

The criticism I've read is that it doesn't do windows as we know them.  In other words, want to look at a web page and edit a document while doing so ... that's not supported according to several critique's I've read.  If that's so, it's unthinkable to use W8 over an OS that readily accomodates the normal multitasking workflow of a typical knowledge worker.

That said, I have not tried W8 yet nor even seen it in action.  But in general, I think it's safe to say that compromises would be necessary to have a one-size-fits-all solution ... everything from a mini phone screen to a widescreen desktop monitor.  I could be entirely wrong on this point, though.  Like I said, I'm only working with second-hand information at this point.  But my sources of information have been pretty credible technical web sites.
    Bill51
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 16:38:32 (permalink)
    Yes it DOES windows as we know them.  Only the Metro apps don't.

Bill Reed
    Finale 2012, Notion4, Sonar X2
    Win8 x64, 64GB RAM
    M-Audio ProFire 2626
    Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
    A closet full of cables, cords, adaptors, etc. Just let me know what you need
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 16:50:30 (permalink)
    I hear you Dmbaer and its silly. That is true only if one is using apps and not normal windows programs and not entirely because you can have two apps up at the same time on one monitor. Did you know that Win 8 comes with IE for the desktop and IE as an app? 

There are reasons to use the app version and there are reasons to use the classic version. However if someone is basing an opinion about Windows 8 by only using apps than they have missed 90 % of windows. 

One way to look at the start screen or what used to be called Metro or the Modern UI is as a very large start menu that scrolls left to right instead of up and down. You get both the name and an icon. But don't be misled by how it looks. It has power and usefulness. On the other hand the desktop we know and love is very much alive and well. Doing just fine and is more accessible than ever.  

True it takes a little time to get used to the new windows but its well worth the effort. And as said before a start menu is only a download away.

The thing that gets missed with this release is the underlying power Windows 8 has. It is not a dumbed down Windows at all. It is more powerful than its ever been and more customizable than ever and more use friendly than ever. 

Tons of little improvements are there to help the user do their job. 

Its fast and stable.  Its what a Windows user has been waiting for.  

If you look at my previous post on this and this together you should get a better idea about Windows 8. Iy should be seen as an OS for apps but one that givesus choice and the ability to do either. Using Windows 8 on a desktop and also on a laptop plus a tablet and a phone is so simple and as group very powerful. 

Nothing need be left behind now. Any device we use will work and run the same things in the same way. 

Its an entirely new world that is just at the beginning. 

Best
    John
    SuperG
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 18:22:27 (permalink)
    Bill51

Yes it DOES windows as we know them.  Only the Metro apps don't.

Hmmm.. Well..six of one, half dozen of another, here. 

I mean, Microsoft has been playing around with their product line-up for some time, and not always in ways beneficial to some of their users. I took a look at their Visual Studio 12 beta some time ago (it's out now..) and boy was that thing ugly. The user interface wasn't Metro, but rather an extension of its plain is better ethos. Yuck. The point I'm trying to make is that style and function are contextual. In a mobile situation you're interested in timely information that is useful in the context of being disconnected from the usual PC. Your need to interact is not quite as great, and the user interface reflects that. Pads and tablets are a step up; a little more interactivity, slightly better display, but you're still not going to type your college thesis on it. But on a PC, we expect the full symphony

As I mentioned in another thread - MS is afraid of Apple's scale, and is trying to emulate it. Win 8 Metro would be great for a tablet, but sucks for the desktop. I know MS now knows it - Steve Sinofsky got the boot after all, and that ain't the usual reward for a successful product launch.

Apples and oranges. I only wonder if Apple had already considered and discarded the notion of ios on the desktop. It should give them some pause. MS should be, and probably is, in a contemplative, rethink mode. Serious reflection instead of blind reaching. Like they did after Vista....MS's Achilles heel is they will make big bets if they think they can corner something, but they suffer from a lord-of-the-flies management style that thins critical thinking staff.

Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 18:30:36 (permalink)

Win 7 fine, but why do you want to upgrade twice and go through the pain twice? You will need to upgrade to Win 8 or Win9 one day. Win 8 is stable enough.

ps Much cheaper to upgrade to Windows 8 right now than Win7 if you buy upgrade online at Microsoft store.

These is a media pack free upgrade on the Microsoft store when you buy if it isn't included, http://www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx?id=30685

Windows Media Centre is also a free for a limited time...

http://www.techrepublic.c...-prepared-to-wait/6928

No brainer...

Win 7 - stay there until you want to slowly move into Win 8. Just remember the upgrade price won't last.
    Earlier Windows users should jump ship straight to Win 8.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    SuperG
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 18:41:42 (permalink)
    Win 7 - stay there until you want to slowly move into Win 8. Just remember the upgrade price won't last.

I'd bet against against that prognostification.  Most folks will get their Win 8 upgrades with the purchase of a new PC,  and of course, nobody has a jones for Metro...

There's just isn't enough difference between 7 and 8, sans Metro...
    Splat
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/14 18:48:01 (permalink)
    ... right now there isn't enough difference. I'm running dual boot Win 7 and Win 8, I have no real energy to use Win 8 until drivers/software/hardware move more towards this operating system. This will happen eventually (give it 12 to 18 months)

Yup I totally agree the best time to upgrade to a new OS is when you upgrade the hardware, in this case though X2 runs has to run on Win 7 or 8 hence the hand is forced for some users running earlier OS's

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    dmbaer
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/15 17:56:44 (permalink)
    John

I hear you Dmbaer and its silly. That is true only if one is using apps and not normal windows programs and not entirely because you can have two apps up at the same time on one monitor. Did you know that Win 8 comes with IE for the desktop and IE as an app? 

Here's one of the articles that prompted my earlier response.  I read this guy regularly (he's the editor of SD Times, one of the best software dev. trade papers out there) and I trust his judgement.  But as I said, all my opinion is based on what others have opined.

http://www.sdtimes.com/ZEICHICK_S_TAKE_WITH_WINDOWS_8_ONE_SIZE_MUST_FIT_ALL/By_Alan_Zeichick/About_MICROSOFT_and_WINDOWS8/37118

John
    Forum Host
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/15 18:22:01 (permalink)
    Dmbaer I read the article and I did so because I respect you.

I don't get the same conclusion that you did. What I read was a fellow that was hung up on the start screen apps. He was never talking about Windows 8 classical desktop where you and I will be working 90 % of the time. 

I'm not crazy about the use of an entire monitor for one app but this is a trivial matter. Nor did he seem able to understand the power Windows 8 has in running normal programs. But that is exactly what he was doing on his laptop in various windows. 

In fact I'm not totally sure that he actually had a point except he didn't like full screen apps. 

Further as I stated you don't need to even see the start screen if you install Classic Shell. Heck I have to purposely go to the start screen by hitting the windows button on my keyboard. I never had much use for it before Windows 8. 

What I saw in his article was a quick response that is a reaction and not a thoughtful review about a new OS. I think when he has time to put Windows 8 through its paces he will change his view.

Think about this I am and so are many others running Sonar X2 on Windows 8 without a Windows 8 issue. All the programs I want to run, run. Not only that they run better.

Best
    John
    slartabartfast
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 14:35:33 (permalink)
    Windows 8 probably has some technical advances over Windows 7, but clearly the design was not intended to make a better tool. It represents the next step in the next phase of personal computers.

The first stage of personal computer development was an attempt to make a functioning device, primarily for hobbyists and dreamers, who were happy to tinker with it endlessly to get it to do anything at all. The next phase was built on the hope that it could be a flexible tool to replace typewriters, calculators etc. The next step was to make a smart enough machine to replace the drudgery of filing, collating, writing orders, etc. and replace the mindless clerical chores that humans had been doing since writing was invented. It could and did replace many clerks and secretaries who were now freed to look for work in the janitorial sector.  

The future according to Microsoft, and Intel ("sponsors of tomorrow") is not to replace the office machines of the past. The goal is to replace the television, which has for the past half century been the predominant method of distracting the human mind and connecting it via a constant stream of more or less entertaining drivel, to the mind-control/marketing hype machine that is at the heart of modern "civilization."  Your digital television is already a "computing device," it is only a matter of time before your computer becomes primarily an entertainment appliance. The classic windows desktop is a transitional holdover, but there is no indication that it will not be replaced by an app player.

You will, at some point have to find your place in this sweep of human development, if for no other reason than that your computer-tool will stop working as the sponsors of the future will eventually make it incompatible with the present. You may have a few more years before that happens, but happen it will. So "upgrade" you must, unless you want to write a zillion lines of code, and fab your own chips. May as well do it for cheap.
    Splat
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 15:39:15 (permalink)
    Nope the goal right now is to copy Apple

dmbaer
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 16:07:06 (permalink)
    John

Further as I stated you don't need to even see the start screen if you install Classic Shell. Heck I have to purposely go to the start screen by hitting the windows button on my keyboard. I never had much use for it before Windows 8. 

You clearly have some hands-on experience with W8 that I do not, so I'll defer to that.

However, my other reason for stating business would not readily embrace W8 is practical experience.  I work for a Fortune 250 company.  Big companies need a really compelling reason to upgrade, as always.  Believe it or not, my office computer was an XP machine until about 3 months ago.  I'll be long retired before that company upgrades again (and it will probably be to the a successor of W8).  Plus we have history suggesting to us that every other release of Windows should be skipped.

So, in response to the OP's question, I still would assert W7 will be supported for a very long time.

John
    Forum Host
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 16:15:57 (permalink)
    I wonder what the millions of computers used by business and industry will do with a box that one can only watch TV and play games on.

The consumer market is a large one but its not so big that it controls in totality all of computing. Its extremely unlikely that computing as we know it will be displaced by some content only receiver. Its far more likely that content and production with be integrated and seamless. That consumers and industry will be able to use their computers in more creative ways. In ways we have yet to investigate.  

The idea behind Windows 8 is cross platform integration. We the uses don't need to concern ourselves with the underlying code just simply get the job done on any device we choose.

The notion that we will be limited is bogus in that its really just the opposite. We will have more choice in the future and be able to do our work anywhere and anytime.

We have always had glum and doom prognosticators. Those that will be the first to declare the world is coming to an in. We have lived past countless of these people and I wonder why they still capture our attention.

MS is not going to shoot itself in the foot and stop that which has made it a successful company.      

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 17:11:35 (permalink)
    dmbaer

John

You clearly have some hands-on experience with W8 that I do not, so I'll defer to that.

However, my other reason for stating business would not readily embrace W8 is practical experience.  I work for a Fortune 250 company.  Big companies need a really compelling reason to upgrade, as always.  Believe it or not, my office computer was an XP machine until about 3 months ago.  I'll be long retired before that company upgrades again (and it will probably be to the a successor of W8).  Plus we have history suggesting to us that every other release of Windows should be skipped.

So, in response to the OP's question, I still would assert W7 will be supported for a very long time.
    I am of the mindset that business will do what business will do for their own reasons. I don't disagree with you on that point. But because we are in control of our own machines we can choose to update or even change the OS entirely. I don't have to ask anyones permission to upgrade. This offers us tremendous freedom. What is best for us is our own decision.

As to the notion that we can skip an OS here and there is one I did with Windows 7. I also say that a lot of us that had and still have Vista are very pleased with it. Its easy to make a remark that sounds clever but has no basis in fact or truth. Keep in mind that Vista and all the the OSs from MS since are of a type based on the foundation of Vista. It was a good idea then and its still a good now. Those that have not had a good experience with it really have no clue how really good it is. I did not skip Win 7 because I thought it was a bad OS but because I was very happy with Vista.  

People tout the greatness of Windows 7 and bash Vista without realizing that they are much the same thing. I've even heard some mistakenly say that Vista is just a bloated version of XP. Its statements like that that show a basic lack of knowledge about OSs. Yet these are people that others listen to and agree with, nodding agreement in a sea of total ignorance. How many people truly know anything about Windows at all outside of what others have told them? Being able to use it is not the same as understanding it. After all its meant to be very easy to use. 

Do we really expect the majority to have any clue about the things for example we have dealt with for many years just in being able to record audio or MIDI. How many even know what MIDI is? 

We as a small group in a tiny special niche of the vast computing public have had to educate ourselves on all sorts of things relating to computers that the average person never contemplates. 

What people forget is that Windows 7 and now Windows 8 could not have come to us without Vista coming first, anymore than XP coming to us without Windows NT. NT was a foundation that we are still are getting benefits from.

Before comments are made about an OS it would behoove those commenting to research the subject and getting a good opportunity to use said OS. Regurgitation of what some say without critical investigation may lead to erroneous conclusions. 

The case is clear that Windows 8 is a fine OS. It also seems odd that people feel its OK to offer comment on an OS and never used it. Strange indeed.

Best
    John
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 18:09:25 (permalink)
    dmbaer

I would agree with this as it was a consumer led decision that made XP stay much longer than it's anticipated and advertised lifecycle end of life date.  People simply didn't like Vista so XP got a long stay of execution.

We can say what we like about the pros and cons of a particular OS and what benefits or otherwise it may or may not have but at the end of the day if people don't universally shift to the new paradigm there ain't nothin' MS can do about it, except by forcing people to become Apple users by prematurely removing support for 7.

Windows 7 users will likely resist a migration on the grounds that for desktop computing there's little to be gained from it.  Migrations cost businesses huge bucks.

So the MS actual dates can be viewed as minima rather than concrete end of support dates, I certainly don't forsee any of those dates being moved forward.

Since and likely because of Vista MS have provided downgrade licenses for professional versions and above of their OS software so it may be a good idea to check out your options when moving from XP as buying a W8 license may indeed qualify you to use 7 OR 8 anyway.  Check the options when you make the purchase.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/12/16 18:26:58

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:How long will Windows 7 be supported? 2012/12/16 18:37:20 (permalink)
    While PC shopping for the wife, I stopped in our local PC store.  The tech informed me they are getting a "ton of people" bringing in their W8 machines and asking to instal W7 instead.  Apparently, people don't like the learning curve of W8.  Hopefully this means W7 will be around for some time, because I don't have time for anymore learning curves on software.

Our entire police department is run on Win XP.  Every year I ask our techs if they are going to upgrade, they say "if it aint broke..."

As far as installing W8 overtop of W7, I did this from Vista to W7 without any problems.  Microsoft has a little compatibility scan you can do.  In my case, it worked out perfect.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1