Helpful ReplyHow many layers of compression?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jsykes
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
2011/03/08 16:39:17 (permalink)

How many layers of compression?

Hi folks. Simple noob mixing questions, but how many layers of compression is right for a good mix?

Meaning, if I compress individual tracks and busses, do I then also put compression on the main out and then the final export?

My method now is like this:

If I have one drum track, a bass track, a gtr track and a vocal track I put a compression VST on each one in the effects bin.

Then I normally have a compressor on the main out.

If I export that down to one .wav file and then pull into a mastering file, I would use compression on that as well.

Just wondering how much is too much and if I am missing something obvious.

Appreciate any feedback.

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
Advice from forum members
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/08 17:24:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Sounds reasonable to me.

On tracks where needed/wanted, a bus compressor and a final limiter on the master doesn't sound excessive.

Of course you could be smashing your signal at each stage and it would be excessive, but I've heard your stuff before and I wouldn't suspect that's what you're doing.

But the chain certainly sounds similar to mine.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/08 17:47:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Its not a bad idea to use gentle compression on your main stereo out even before mastering. Especially if its a louder end result (after mastering) you are after.

A good setting there is about 1.3 to I ratio and threshold that gives only about - 3db gain reduction. Slow down the attack a bit to let transients through. A nice relaxed multiband there works well. Dont expect mastering results here, its only to prep it a bit before mastering.

Compressor ratios multiply so if you are intending to use a certain ratio on your tracks, divide that by 1.3 and alter it to suit.

Gentle compression over the stereo buss helps to glue things together slightly.

3 layers of compression is better than one big one. Its like 3 light coats of paint being better than one think coat.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/08 17:47:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
only use compression when you need it for some reason.

just simply applying compression, for the sake of having it, is not required.

doing 'layers' of compression, gives a completely different end result, than hitting one track hard with a compressor on the insert...

me, i like to use compressors for 'color'.

i use a compressor in line, usually immediately after my mic pre, as an outboard unit, for color and effect.

later, on mixdown, if i want that track to sit in the mix in such a way that simple eq or panning or levels don't take care of, i'll apply a compressor.

sometimes, it's a limiter.

but i try to keep DYNAMICS alive in my tunes, and too much compression can kill that pretty quick.

of course, there's the other extreme, where you are going for total compression of all dynamics on every track.
then, you mix accordingly....

but i'm more a fan of the more subtle approach, tho sometimes i DO like to get it pumping for effect.

it's infinitely variable,  jsykes, it's just one of those judgement calls along the way, that separates the good engineers from the hobbyists with good ears.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jsykes
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/08 18:28:03 (permalink)
Thanks, BB. I think maybe I need to experiment more with not using compression in certain areas. Good perspective. I think on a recent project I may have squashed too much and that's what had me thinking about the question.

Jeff: Thanks for the great insights. I like your analogy about the thin coats of paint.

Jon: Appreciate the nod of confidence and thanks for the listens.

I was overall just wondering if I was violating some type of basic principle but it seems like batsbrew said it is just "infinitely variable"

I'm definitely a hobbyist, but always looking for a deeper set of knowledge.

Thanks again.

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/08 19:54:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
on my latest song I used some compression on the guitars (electric) I used no compression on the other tracks. In the master buss, I used a gentle compression on the entire mix. The master compression is very light.

In the end you still want to have dynamics in the music. if you compress it to a brick you loose all the dynamics. Here is the wave of the last tune I did.... compressed guitars and gentle compression on the mix. Notice that the levels are very gentle and nothing is clipped even with the compressor running. Only about 20 peaks are touching the max point.

as opposed to this song where I had the compressors running a bit to high....in this example, all the dynamics are gone.... it is really loud... from start to finish....

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/03/08 19:59:35

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
jsykes
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/09 10:41:04 (permalink)
Herb: Thanks for those examples. I generally stay close to your first example. A lot of my tracks are not maxed on volume, but I have been working at getting them closer to the top while leaving some headroom.

Thanks again for the input. I enjoyed your recent song on the songs forum.

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
SeveredVesper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 04:46:10 (permalink)
"3 layers of compression is better than one big one. Its like 3 light coats of paint being better than one think coat."

This also applies to distortion in electric instruments. 3 layers of light distortion to create nice saturation is better than one big chunk of gain.

Compression also differs to the type of music you are making. What type of music are you doing?

For example, Djent requires high compression on all instruments, and has minimal dynamics, while post-rock needs very very little compression, both mixing and mastering, to preserve it essence.

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 04:58:29 (permalink)
That's an interesting take on layering distortion.

The idea never, ever occured to me.

So, would you apply all layers at track level, or put a layer on the track, another on the bus etc?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
SeveredVesper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 05:20:33 (permalink)
@Bristol

On different tracks of the same instruments, as i am pertaining most to layering electric guitar or bass.

3 takes of the same riffs split into individual tracks, then per track, there can be one amp that differs from the amp of the other 2.

Or Those 3 tracks can have 3 different distortions each, so there a 9 for the instrument overall.

For example, i have one distortion with a set tone, then use another of a different tone, then another one. So i have 3 distortions of light gain, with a set of tones to really shape the tone i want.

And so for the physical amp itself, i hate having for example, a high gain pedal distortion hooked to my amp. Instead i use three OD's with light gain, or 2 OD's along with my Amp OD.

SeveredVesper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 05:27:39 (permalink)
After all, distortion has a relation to compression. Distortion is clipping the signal then compressing it, so the higher the distortion, the higher the compression.

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 07:24:05 (permalink)
Yes, a highly distorted track will look very much a compressed house brick type of wav.

One reason I rarely compress distorted guitars, or if i do, it's with a light touch.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 08:05:12 (permalink)
jsykes

Herb: Thanks for those examples. I generally stay close to your first example. A lot of my tracks are not maxed on volume, but I have been working at getting them closer to the top while leaving some headroom.

Thanks again for the input. I enjoyed your recent song on the songs forum.

my latest song Sad Goodbye is the top wave example. The singing distortion on the guitars and the compression to get it that way in no way maxed the wave... the guitar parts are the "bumps" in the wave's first part and they barely get 50% on the wave as a whole. So it's possible to have highly distorted/singing guitars and not "brick the wave".

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 12:20:37 (permalink)

Good advice. More than once I've bypassed a compressor on a track to discover that it sounded better without it. Same with EQs. You always have to test and question your own habits.

OTOH, I often use as many as 3 compressors on vocals: one on each backing track, two on the lead and one on the vocal bus. Of course, when you do that the amount of compression on each instance is less than if you were using a single compressor, such that the end result is the same amount of compression overall. The advantage is that each one covers a smaller range of amplitudes, making the compressor work less and resulting in a less-muddy sound.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 14:05:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
bitflipper

OTOH, I often use as many as 3 compressors on vocals: one on each backing track, two on the lead and one on the vocal bus.
Hi bit,

Can you share with me why you'd put 2 compressors on one lead vocal please? I'm just curious as to how and why you'd do this as well as what the benefits would be?

When I HAVE had to do this, my method was to compress the vocals with a comp first in line, run some effects in the bin, and then a very subtle comp in the end of the chain just so the effects didn't allow anything to lash out. Is this how you use it too? Thanks....always look forward to your posts and interesting techniques man. :)

To the OP: I'm one that likes to run a little compression on everthing in my mix accept for cymbals due to how dynamic they have to be at times as well as how improper compression on them can make them sound strange. Though all the advice you've been given here so far is spot on in my opinion, a very light amount of compression to keep transients under control is never a bad thing. When you hear a compressor (unless you're doing it for effect purposes or really trying to control transients) you're using too much.

When I use it in an instrument that may not be an instrument that needs much compression or any compression at all, that comp is there just to be a "transient policeman". You don't even have to make the comp apparent...you just want things to stay sane and under a certain threshold. It only keeps your mix tighter as long as you don't go over-board. The best compression is the compression you don't hear because it is just making a small difference keeping things in check.

As far as busses go, I don't use compression as an insert unless I'm parallel compressing. Now for instrument bussing, that's a different animal. Sometimes I'll send a bunch of backing vocals to an instrument bus and compress them as an entity. Or, I'll put a compressor on a drum instrument bus lightly to keep the drums in control....or I'll send a few rhythm guitars to an instrument bus and compress them as an entity as well. Those guitar often times have compression on them individually and I may also compress the bus they are sent to. It depends on what I'm going for though.

As for compression on my master bus, I never do that because I feel that anything like that should be done in the mastering stage. If you're not careful with compression on the master bus when you are mixing, it is way too easy to miss the obvious because you have so much going on. I like to have a clear mind when I master and like to be in mastering mode. I think this is easier to handle when you are done with a mix and can just concentrate on the mastering/polishing part of your project. There's nothing wrong with running a comp on your master bus within the project, as several people do this with good results. It's just not something I'm in favor of because way too often, people go over-board with this and wreck their material because they are way too close to it. That's just my take though...best of luck!

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
jsykes
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 14:58:28 (permalink)
Thanks everybody for the lively discussion.

Danny: Good points about the master bus within the project. That was sort of my main concern within my work flow.

I normally have a compressor on that track. I will experiment leaving it off and seeing what I can produce.

Your points are well taken about "not hearing the compressor" That is what I shoot for, just to control dynamics and transients and to make things as clear as possible.

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Danny Danzi
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 16:41:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
J: one other thing I'd like to mention that you may or may not know about. This too is a bit of a grey area for me, but it's definitely worth mentioning.

Some guys like to add what we call "2-bus glue" within their mixes. I'm sure you've heard of this before, right? The object of this is to start with the compressor in place before you mix your project because it will force you to make decisions you wouldn't normally make without it. The problem with this, you will NOT get the same effects ITB as you would OTB with a compressor that adds "color".

Analog gear is going to add a coloration that I haven't heard with plugins. So to me, having "2-bus glue" in an ITB mix...is pretty senseless. Some guys hybrid and may send a mix into an outboard comp...this works good for 2-bus glue and makes way more sense. To do this ITB, I can't think of any digital compressors that really would add the coloration an analog compressor would bring to the table...so for me, I stay away from that technique.

However, the recent release of the UAD Studer 800 tape machine plug...brings things to a new level for me. If you were to add a plug like that to your master bus followed by a good compressor like a NEVE or a Fairchild etc, you are simulating that analog saturation with the Studer, and compressing "to glue" with the NEVE or Fairchild. That's the cool thing about analog gear...the natural saturation and coloration. We don't get this from strictly digital compressors without doctoring them up and it's really not the same.

Another thing to think about is, in the event you want to have something mastered by a pro, you want to be extra careful as to how much master bus compression you use. It is my opinion being a mastering engineer (or at least I like to consider myself one since I do so much of it) that it's best to let guys like me use our judgment as to how the compression on a final mix should be handled. Mastering is really an artform. It's not a dark art like some lead you to believe, but it is an artform that should be handled by someone knowledgable in that field to make the right call. He's also your extra set of ears. Like I've mentioned in quite a few posts on here and in other places I haunt, when you hit that export button in Sonar, in your mind you are done. You have pushed the mix to the highest level you are capable of or you would have never pressed that button.

You have also listened to this mix how many times? 300-500 times? Maybe more? So when you feel an export is the right thing to do, in your mind this mix is done. How do you evaluate what the proper compression for the final mix should be or what the additional eq curve should be when you'll be using the same monitors that you tracked on and mixed on? It's really difficult to do quite honestly because we get so close to our material, it's way too easy to miss the obvious. I'm not saying "don't attempt to put a compressor on your master bus and don't try to master it." You SHOULD experiment with this stuff...especially if you're just doing things for your head, ya know? But if it's a serious project that's going to be sold etc, you definitely want to have that extra set of ears on board that will make the proper compression call that will be applied to the entire song. The more you compress and etch things in stone, the more difficult it can become for the mastering engineer to do his thing. The more control the ME has, the more he can make your material shine IF he's skilled enough in his craft and isn't just in it to take your money.

Anyway, I know I'm a bit off topic from what you were really looking for here....but I just wanted to give you some additional food for thought. :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/11 16:43:18

My Site
Jeff Evans
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 17:17:58 (permalink)
Using mastering 2 Buss glue compression can be helpful especially if it a loud mix you are after at the end of the day. But this compressor does not have to be working that hard. It can be subtle you know. (1.3 to 1 ratio, high threshold for -3 db gain reduction max and slowish attacks to let transients through)  What is good about it is the mix can change slightly when compression is applied so it allows you to hear this a bit more in advance.

But if in doubt leave it out.

You can master your own material and on your own monitors. You just need to leave plenty of time between the mix and the mastering. eg a week, not the next day. In fact it is a great idea to listen to your mix for a week before mastering. You will pick up all sorts of things you did not hear at first.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
bitflipper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 18:54:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Can you share with me why you'd put 2 compressors on one lead vocal please? I'm just curious as to how and why you'd do this as well as what the benefits would be?

Same reason you'd do it on the 2-bus: first compressor catches the peaks, the second one fattens it up. First one has faster attack and release times so it's just hitting the peaks, and at a higher ratio. Second one doesn't worry about the peaks and uses a slower attack to let them through, and has a longer release and lower compression ratio. I'm also fond of using a multiband compressor as the first stage, especially if the vocal is sibilant or has boomy resonances.

My Stuff
Jeff Evans
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 19:14:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
What can work on a vocal track is two compressors but the first one should be set for limiting as Dave points out.  High threshold around the average level of the vocal phrases. This will catch any peaks and pull them back to normality. High ratio, high threshold and fast attack so it does not waste any time jumping on silly out of context level changes.

Then the second vocal compressor down the track with 2 or 3 to 1 ratio, lower threshold so its working a bit more often and slower attack setting.

Remember compression ratios multiply when in series. (But in the above case of a limiter only working occasionaly I would class that is not being there)

Also limiting before compression is something you can try in mastering too. Many think the only was is the other way around. It can work well in this situation too. Same as the vocal track, limiter is set to catch out of context peaks. The limiter in this situation is not being used to produce loudness. When you start using a limiter for other reasons it can open up its possibilities.

Danny Danzi
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 20:13:10 (permalink)
Thaks for the explanation, bit. Thank you too for your insight, Jeff. Some of that stuff I knew about, but the double comps on vocals is not something I've felt the need to use much. I'll give that stuff a try...thanks again.

My Site
jsykes
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/11 23:40:56 (permalink)
Thanks for the discussion guys. A lot of good stuff in response to my question. Very much appreciated.

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
mikespitzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/12 22:09:56 (permalink)
Personally I find too many songs OVERCOMPRESSED these days.

It seems people are adding layers of compression at every step of the recording, then on their master busses, then brickwalling at the Mastering stage and we end up with loud, but dead and lifeless music.

For me, my most common compression when tracking guitars, bass, etc...    is often 3:1 ratio and -3 to -4 db gain reduction at most using  Overeasy style compression.

If the drummer is a hard hitter, I will often not compress drums at all while tracking.
I like the "thwack and boom" of real sounding drums.

I find too many songs today, even what is supposed to be heavy/hard rock have dull lifeless drums that sound like a rubber pencil eraser hitting a cardboard box.
People have compressed, EQ and processed the tone and dynamics out of them.

Then at the Mastering stage, my most "standard" compression would be 1.5 -1.9 : 1 ratio   with a Loudness Maximzer set to -0.1  and the Average RMS hovering around - 14 db with the maximum RMS peaks hitting around -10 to -9

This will not create the LOUDEST CD, but it will give a good strong CD that still has real jagged WAV files and not just a big square rectangle of clipped constant 0.00

This gives a good live sounding dynamic product and not an overcrompressed loud boom and hiissshhhhhh disaster.

STOP THE LOUDNESS WARS !!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

SeveredVesper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/16 06:39:31 (permalink)
Ironically, i have never seen or opened any song with a flat wave at 0 peak or anything that looks like a wall or close to it. Everything i opened, even if loud, had dynamics. Maybe because i don't listen to pop and mainstream music, i am assuming ofcourse that that's where you find those type of waves.

bitflipper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/16 14:43:43 (permalink)
You mean like this?

(That's from the infamous Death Magnetic album)

My Stuff
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/16 15:43:41 (permalink)
Just be very careful with multiple layers of compression.  Compression is multiplacative.  So if your bass has a compressor with 4:1 and then the master bus 2:1 you are potentially compressing the bass at 8:1 depending on the threshold.  Depending on the genre of music the less the better.  Try to smooth out dynamics during the performance while tracking if you can.
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/16 19:17:20 (permalink)
IOWs, oftentimes, (IMO, IMHO, JMO, etc.)

1) Many lows get a lot of thick compression: Kick and bass.

2) Many highs get fast-attack limiting (depending on their shriekiness, siblance, erratic dynamics, etc.  IIRC, de-essing follows a similar algorhythm in Izotope Alloy

3) De-essing is a special type of parallel compression or multicomp ... worthy of another topic

4) Vocals as per Bat, Bit and others:

-- Once at the source with, say, an Avalon Pre. 
-- Limiting ... or with clip-gain envelopes (pre-fader of course!)
-- Compressing once with an fx-bin compressor (Sonitus, Voxformer, Nectar, etc.) (also pre-fader)

-- There is sometimes a compression "sweet spot", IMHO, where the compressor works to keep things a buffered level volume while allowing micro-dynamics.  This doesn't seem to work for me with Voxformer (an excellent compressor, btw) nor other multicomps especially with autogain-MU settings. 

-- Autogain vox compressors are another topic.

-- Methinks, If I've done correctly, vocals need minimal volume automation nor post-fader help, except where strategically part of the song structure.  I may be wrong.

5) 600Hz, 1.2 kHz, and/or 3.5kHz honks and shrieks, seem, to me, obnoxious animals, that require EQ notching or multi-comp compression without MU gain.  The higher they are, the faster the attack necessary.

6) If it requires limiting: gain envelopes may suffice instead

7) Thick guitars and vocs are oft better done with delays, saturation, chorus, Haas delays, etc.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
aaronkdr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/19 02:44:23 (permalink)
There are mainly 3 layer of comprassion, The other type is Sonar Homestudio XL,Dell laptop,Echo Layla ,Takamine EAN-15C ,
Ibanez Artcor. There is sometimes a compression "sweet spot", IMHO, where the compressor works to keep things a buffered level volume while allowing micro-dynamics
SeveredVesper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/19 09:44:10 (permalink)
bitflipper

You mean like this?

(That's from the infamous Death Magnetic album)

Image missing

I only heard the single on YouTube, and my head hurt after. I then found out that DM is infamous for it's production.

bitflipper
Re:How many layers of compression? 2011/03/19 16:09:33 (permalink)
I see the image I'd linked to is now gone. Maybe Metallica's lawyers have been busy...they are notoriously proactive.

Here are a couple links they haven't gotten to:

RecordingHacks

Mastering Media Blog

My Stuff
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1