Helpful ReplyHow many out there are REALLY disappointed with the new (no) support system?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: How many out there are REALLY disappointed with the new (no) support system? 2016/12/03 11:35:24 (permalink)
papacucku
Never used phone support.  Have you ever used phone support for cubase, protools, Logic?

I would wager very few have and of those very few were happy with it.  Phone support for software in general is a "premium" service.  The kind you get for most software comes in two forms. One is the crappy overseas microsoft / Dell kind.  The other is the super small one person in the entire company knows the code kind.  I don't know what your expectations are for phone support for software. I have worked in software and IT for 20 years and its my opinion that everyone make sure they are keeping expectations in touch with the market. The market as it IS and not the market as it should be. 

Software support for most OTS and online delivered software is usually not done by phone and when it is , it sucks.

to be fair, cakewalk did make a big deal of switching from answering the phone for support, to calling you back at a preferred time... unfortunately all of their operators have been booked/unavailable since june(?) at least, although apparently they've got new support staff who were being onboarded, literally as cakewalk posted their response stating as much, back in june(?)...

just a sec

dcmike
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: How many out there are REALLY disappointed with the new (no) support system? 2016/12/04 11:41:37 (permalink)
@papacuku - I'm with you on the phone support. Having 22 years on computers, I find a tech support staff nearly always knows less about computers than I do. As for questions about the software that employs them, they mostly rely on entering keywords from your issue and pulling up canned responses from a database.

I keep hearing this repetitive pep rally for Win 10. Any software supplier that ignores the dominant OS, which is Win 7 @ 48%, is asking for a nightmare support avalanche. I keep hearing that the power users use Win 10, Well yipee!!  I'm not migrating from an OS that is working, and has years left of Microsoft support, to a new OS with bugs and security issues. And the security issues aren't even from hackers, but from Microsoft's own spyware.

My install error clearly describes it is looking for missing Cakewalk file "cw90auto.dll" (error code 3 = not found). I'm no software engineer, but I can't see how Microsoft C++, or Windows update is responsible for putting this Cakewalk file object in this Cakewalk directory - Files(x86\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\.

In my one Visual Basic programming course, I learned most debugging centers around finding bad pathing and/or missing "objects".
--------------------------------------------------------------- 
CW90Auto.dll Product version:1.0
Copyright:Copyright (c) 2011 Cakewalk, Inc.

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: How many out there are REALLY disappointed with the new (no) support system? 2016/12/04 13:32:22 (permalink)
dcmike
I actually had Sonar running in Win 7. However, on a needed reinstall - it does not. All tech help tips have redundantly referred to updating Win 7 - which I did, or getting Win 10, which I won't do.

"Error 3 means "path not found". It's because the DLL or OCX is missing, or a dependency is missing. Most likely, the setup program was unable to write one of the files. This can be caused by having a file in use, or insufficient Windows permissions."

When Cakewalk install has finished loading files and gets to registering files, it is looking for c:\Program Files(x86\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\CW120Auto.dll - which isn't there. There is, however, a cw90auto.dll.

Getting a copy of CW120Auto.dll and dropping it in place, could theoretically fix the install

Check this thread out ... http://forum.cakewalk.com...3-SOLVED-m3401840.aspx

And this, with link to redist file http://forum.cakewalk.com/Solved-SONAR-201603-Install-Fail-m3393632.aspx#3393632

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
FettsVett
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: How many out there are REALLY disappointed with the new (no) support system? 2017/02/04 12:06:40 (permalink)
-1 (1)
Here's the problem with relying on the forum for support: not all the data is useful for the newest version of Sonar Platinum. Also, it's easier to relay information over the phone so another person can succinctly understand your problem. For example, there was a thread about adding Izotope StutterEdit as a Synth (and it still says in the manual to do this) to make it work. I wasted 3 days trying to take the initiative to fix it myself through the data on that thread until I got so frustrated, I made my own thread. Expecting your customers to wade through a forum comprised of just users is inexcusable. I wouldn't be this angry if it hadn't been since at least October 2016 that I personally could get no phone support. And I know some folks have had problems with support since September 2016.

I want to thank the forum hosts for putting up with frustrated newer users like myself. You are basically doing Cakewalk's job for them and not getting compensated like you should. Sometimes the frustration boils over and the poor forum hosts are the victim of a user's desire to vent. I've personally been guilty of this. I personally think Cakewalk needs a dedicated team at least in the forum to help address issues if they can't provide phone support. Or maybe a chat support option.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: How many out there are REALLY disappointed with the new (no) support system? 2017/02/09 04:32:08 (permalink)
My problem with the OP is blaming Cakewalk for what happens to a client when support is unavailable.

Crazy to be updating software in the middle of a project. If you're doing this for money/or not you really need to honour your obligation to your client and not be updating software and putting your system into an experimental mode.

As someone else mentioned, just roll back.

It's a good idea that as soon as you've installed the latest release that you do a test rollback to make sur edit works, but never in the middle of a project. I don't mean to sound really hard. I'm sure many of us (including me) have made beginner mistakes that can be very costly. Learn from it. USE THE FORUM.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1