How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/08/12 18:15:59 (permalink)

How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems

Hi guys am very new to home recording so please bear with me

first question would be how much head room should I leave on tracks for mixing  and my master track for mastering ?

Ive been working on a few tracks and useing superior drummer 2 and a few of the addons

Once i have my song ready for the mixing stage I always find I have my track sounding not to bad but would need it to be louder.

If I turn the drums up then they start to go in to the red and if I turn other things down then the track is just far to quiet and loses any feeling it had

Is this down to compression ive been playing with the presets in sd2 but its stil not what I am looking for.

Would a sterio drum compressor help over the sd2 out put ? I really dont have a clue what to do

Thanks for any advice.

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

42 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/12 19:40:43 (permalink)
    You should mix your track so that your master bus peaks between -6dB to -3dB. That will leave enough headroom for the mastering process.
    There is no headroom for mixing. You mix it until you achieve the proper levels for each track, buses and master bus. Its all relative, and each track will have different levels. But, to get it ready for mastering, your master bus should be between -6db to -3dB

You should also have no EQ, compressors and limiters on your master bus.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Norrie
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 02:02:31 (permalink)
    So if its -6 on the master bus would I acheve this buy leaveing the master buss set to 0 mixing and then pulling the fader down until it peeks at -6

Or would i mix everything so it sounds good to my ears but nothing clips above -6 on the master bus ?

Thanks again

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 05:01:18 (permalink)
    I like to try to keep all my busses - including the master bus - at 0 throughout the project, controlling the final level by using the individual track faders.

Sometimes this isn't always possible without having to go back and adjust 50+ faders, but this is an uncommon scenario for me.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 08:24:15 (permalink)
    Norrie

So if its -6 on the master bus would I acheve this buy leaveing the master buss set to 0 mixing and then pulling the fader down until it peeks at -6

Or would i mix everything so it sounds good to my ears but nothing clips above -6 on the master bus ?

Thanks again

Norrie

There are two other terms used to describe "mixing" that are helpful to keep in mind. "summing" and "balancing" are terms that describe the mixing process.

These terms may help you visualize your goal as you encounter different projects.

The point being, You'll mix a small ensemble totally differently than a big production.

As you sum and balance your tracks into a bus "mix" you'll see that you'll use different approaches with different content and thinking about "rules" or target values will become a non issue as you seek balance while summing the various signals.

I sort of agree with CJ that you should use the SONAR mix bus to arrive at -6dBFS peaks BEFORE any EQ, Compression or Limiting.

I routinely *Master* with EQ, Compression or Limiting on the master bus... the 64bit engine sounds great.

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 08:49:58 (permalink)
    I do try to keep my master and the other busses up to 0db in the whole process. I have been known to throw an envelope on a buss from time to time rather then adjust the individual tracks...especially if they are balanced but just a touch to low or high.

Since I am not sending my tracks out for mastering..... I do it all in  house... I set my levels as needed on my exports. Highest peaks to 0db. Everything else is below that level...and I really don't want a bunch of the peaks at that level...... from heavy compression.

It's very possible to have a sufficiently loud final mix and not compress the crap out of it.

The word is "Dynamic Range".... uhhhh that's two words, but you know what I mean.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 09:07:43 (permalink)
    I was in Chicago last week driving under the "el"... It was night time... we had just left Pizza Due. I decided to throw in one my my home made blues jam CDs.... a few moments later the El ran over our head... it was noisy... I thought to my self... "not enough compression on this track". :-)

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 11:30:37 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

I was in Chicago last week driving under the "el"... It was night time... we had just left Pizza Due. I decided to throw in one my my home made blues jam CDs.... a few moments later the El ran over our head... it was noisy... I thought to my self... "not enough compression on this track". :-)

But Mike...you obviously had plenty of head room because you didn't mention bumping your head on the "el" when you went under it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 13:43:57 (permalink)
    You may want to read Bob Katz literature regarding calibrated monitoring and the K system.
    I personally follow the stablished standards for the cinema industry: I mix around -20 dB RMS (K-20). This gives enough headroom.
    After the mix sounds fine, IF i want to maximize loudness, I add gain in output buses with compressors and limiters (usually 2 compressors and a limiter), while lowering the monitoring gain accordingly, looking for k-12 (and thus monitoring at 8 dB below calibration). When specific tracks cause large peaks i often handle that in the tracks individually to minimize undersired artifacts in the output compressors.
    If the mix is going to be sent for external mastering, I still do the same to ensure that peak/RMS ratios are not going to cause much hassle to the mastering engineer, but then I disable the output compression and send the uncompressed k-20 mix.
    Many engineers in the music industry mix at K-14 or even at K-12, but IMO it is pointless, working at K-20 you can always go higher for mastering simply adding output gain, while the extra headroom of k-20 is very valuable while mixing.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 14:04:40 (permalink)
    I do a lot of recording sources that are only good in most cases for one run through a reel to reel or one pass on under a transcribe record needle, etc....

So I HAVE to ensure I have enough headroom so that it doesn't distort as I have one shot at it... so in this case I usually sit around -18 db for nominal (Meaning that if someone is speaking the meter sits around -18 and can peak up to -4 as volume and intensity of the recording increase.

If you can ensure you have a few db headroom you can always use processing to lift the volume up.

If you can't get enough Drums out of your synth try bouncing the synth to an audio track and then you can process it with volume or compression and automate the track level, etc....

jasonthurley
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 14:28:44 (permalink)
    Sorry I had a task to do and had to leave this post half way through...

That way you can visually see the wave form of the drums instead of just looking at meters... sometimes it is just one kick drum or cymbal that is a lot louder than the rest of the track so when you playback the track it looks as if it comes up to, lets say, -3 but in reality it was this one sample that hit that level and the rest is sitting under that... if you can see the waveform you can see if it is all about the same level or nit right away.

I don't recommend using compressors for volume ... it can raise the volume but it also raises the noise floor (The hiss and room sound on your track).  I would recommend using a limiting type compressor to push the peaks down (this means no output gain on the compressor and setting your threshold to just push down the peaks-looking at it visually you can see the peaks and determine what db to set the threshold- then put the ratio at around 15:1 or higher... process that and then you can use volume or maximize to get the track up to it's loudest level.... you can always pull the volume down for mixing with other tracks. If you have too much noise on your track then I would either use a noise reduction filter or an expander to sweeten the quality of the track... then you are ready to "engineer" the track - regular compressor settings, eq, any other dynamic effects, etc...to mix with the rest of the tracks.

One thing to keep in mind when mixing drums... are you using headphones? Studio monitors? Speakers in a laptop? Depending on the system you are mixing with you might not be able to hear certain frequencies (such as the extreme low end of a kick drum if listening on a laptop or 1-way/2-way systems with no sub) so you want to hear the kick louder in the mix and it is peaking due to the low frequencies being louder than the mid's-high's you are mixing by.  This also goes for cymbals but since they are a much smaller waveform you usually won't have frequency dependent peaking... it is usually the lower end of the drums that can be misinterpreted.
    jasonthurley
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 14:37:58 (permalink)
    this means no output gain on the compressor and setting your threshold to just push down the peaks-looking at it visually you can see the peaks and determine what db to set the threshold- then put the ratio at around 15:1 or higher

I forgot to mention the attack time should be at 0 and release should be around 400ms to create a semi limiting compressor otherwise you will have higher peaks at the beginning of each sample that hits the threshold as it will wait a certain time before "acting" on the sound.
    Norrie
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 18:46:36 (permalink)
    First off i would like to say thanks for all the replys every one on this form has been so nice and great at helping.

I am finding it a lot to take in but i am going to take it nice and slow and work on all the things everyone has said.

I am useing a set of Tapco moitors for mixing and i am also useing a set of roland headphones

I would love to be able to buy a sub to add to it but at the momment I just cant afford even £180 for a cheep one to get me going ;( I hope in a few months i will be able to though :)

I think if I route the busses out from my superior drummer 2 in to sonar I may find things better for my self so i can see if for instance its just the kick cliping or maybe a over head or something
    Unfortunatly I am not sure how to get it to work and set it up propperly so ive put a post about it here
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2073122

I cant wait to try all the things everyone has said but that will have to wait untill i get that sorted :)

Thanks so much to everyone

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/13 20:44:14 (permalink)
    jcatena I don't agree with your K system views that K -14 and K-12 are useless and not necessary. There are very good reasons why these other K system levels have been chosen and used. I am someone who uses K system levels a lot and I use all three levels for different projects.

Let us say that a certain project needs to end up sounding loud. Say an average of K -6db and that is loud. (after mastering) If you begin a project like this at K -20 then you will end up with a final mix which is also at K -20. Now you have got some serious level increasing to do in fact a whole 14 db of it in fact to get your final level up to our K -6 level. And that is a lot and all the mastering processors will be working hard to do it.

But if I know a project has to end up loud I work at K -12 from the start. Then I have only got to get another 6 db up on my final K-12 mix to achive the desired loudeness. Now the mastering processors are not working nearly anywhere as hard and hence they will all sound much better.

That is the reason for the three K system levels.  I use K -14  for a lot of projcets too. It just seems to sit well and you end up with a pretty loud mix at the end of the day and the transients are still healthy at 14 db or so.

But I do agree that K -20 is a beautiful reference level to work at and the mixes just sound the best. I master this not so hard as well and maybe take it up 6 db max.

What sort of metering are you using with your K system operations? I use real VU meters and also the BlueCat meter works great. Remember you need a rms device to show you 0 db rms when you are working at the desired K level. Sonar does not do this by itself. You have to switch your level (meter) calibrations and monitor gain calibration everytime you alter your K level but I am sure you know that. Glad to see someone though who is into the K system thing. I wish more people would get onto it. It would just save so many issues with clipping etc. I never see one clip light at any of the three K levels on tracks or busses.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 09:32:55 (permalink)
    Every timeI see someone mention the K system I want to choke up my coffee.

I do not understand the preoccupation with using a system to avoid clipping.... I avoid clipping the same way I avoid other cars while driving on the highway. It just happens.

You do not need a system to make a well balanced recording. It may even prove to be a distraction.

It's helpful to maintain consistency in your playback and monitors.... people have been seeking consistency in their listening gear since the inception of the craft... well before doing so became a system.

best regards,
    mike

Jeff, I am still curious to learn if you have calibrated your VU meters with your system. Are the terminations set up properly? I would need a reference manual to do something like that, but I'll bet Jose knows how right off the top of his head.

I would think that if you place the VU meters on the outputs of the sound card that k-20 would leave the VU meters still and lifeless.

If you put the VU meters after the preamp in a monitor playback system it might be useful... But then the meter is on the preamp and not on the sound card.

Maybe the preamp is built into the sound card?

Some of my old Ampex gear has true VU meters. They don't move much. A lot of my gear has VU style meters with ballistics that are set for faster response... the manuals refer to them as *hybrid*. I refer to them as uncalibrated.  I am hoping to get a set of Durroughs for my rig someday soon. My buddies up the road have a set for their surround room and I'm envious.

Anyways, you keep mentioning your VU meters... and I keep wondering what they are actually metering.
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/08/14 09:34:22

Jeff Evans
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 12:02:21 (permalink)
    Mike I can understand your curiosity and I am happy to explain. Firstly I think digital recording needs a system. With analog we had VU's telling us levels going in and out of equipment and it was easier to get some sort of consistency. But we do know that 0db VU did represent different magnetic flux levels at times on tape but even with that there was still a sense of calibration going on. If you knew what flux level represented 0 db Vu then it was easy to set things up again to read 0 db VU going into and out of a mixer etc.

Many people who are recording digitally are using no system of reference of any kind. It is not about preventing clipping. We can all do that with care. But if we were to measure some sort of average level of a mix from 10 people here you would get 10 different levels.
    This where K system helps to reference things a bit. I abuse the word rms too but I am really referring to average level of the music or the average level of the main body of the music (without the transient peaks involved)

So when I say K -14 db I am referring to the peaks of a sine wave reaching -14 db. That is the standard that Bob Katz uses. The actual rms value of that wave is 3 db down from that and that is why the Sonar meter shows -17 db when I am looking at a K -14 db level. So we need to get clear about that.

OK now I use a digital mixer and this helps a lot. You could not do this easily with an analog desk because it is hard to get it exact all the time. My VU meters are 600 ohm (correctly terminated) and they are fed from a special VU meter amplifier and I can adjust the gain of that amplifer very accurately. The VU's are across the stereo output of the digital desk. My soundcard is an EMU 1212 and it is connected digitally to the digital mixer. If I send a K -14db signal from the soundcard it goes right through the digital mixer to the outputs and comes out at exactly the same level. (unity gain right through the mixer) Now I set the gain of the meter amplifer to show 0 db on the VU's. It is not important what the actual voltage is that is driving the meter movement but FYI it is 0.775 V. The whole purpose of the K system is you see 0 db VU when the K level is chosen. The mixer also sends very accurate callibrated levels from its own built in oscillator so the first thing I do is tell the mixer to send K -14 then adjust the VU's to read 0db. This corresponds to an rms voltage that is 17 db down from 0.775V (0.109v or 109mv)

If I generate a sinewave say in Adobe Audition at -14 db (and import that into Sonar) then the soundcard sends exactly the same level as the mixer does. When I measure it, (from its analog outs which I dont use BTW) it is also 0.109v so I know something is right. (I have a true rms digital meter) Now I turn off the alignment tone from the mixer and play the -14 db signal from Sonar into the mixer and 0.109v comes out from the soundcard and mixer and the VU's show 0 db.

If I decide to work at K -20 then the first thing I do is reset the alignment level from the mixer (down to -20) and it is now 6 db quieter and the meters show it of course. But because I have got a calibrated meter amp driving the meters I can switch them up 6db so they are now showing 0 db again. But what this means is that now everything I do in Sonar is 6 db down from before. Hence the extra headroom. Because the meters are more sensitive now, any input signal can be 6 db lower from before and the meters will show 0 db.

I use the BlueCat digital K system meters too and they all agree with the VU's. Both on tracks and busses. If I want to work at K -12 then I do everything as before except now everything in Sonar is working 2 db higher than K -14.

Bob Katz has got a reference level of K -20 (full bandwidth pink noise) on his website that you can download. If I setup my system for K -20 and plonk that on any track it shows exactly 0 db on the VU's so I know I am doing everything right.

As far as VU's go I just love the ballistics of them while the music plays. I know they are not showing true rms but some sort of average level, but it is the ballistics that I get the most information from. One can learn heaps from watching how VU's behave with very well mixed and mastered material. Then when you are mixing they show up all sorts of issues in your mix. (If you are wondering, the frequency response of the VU's is flat from 20Hz to over 20 Khz!, they dont even budge over the whole freuqency range so they are capable of showing a lot!)

When I am mastering I can reset the system now for higher levels. When I import a commercial CD onto a track and I have got the system setup for say K-14 the meters will pin over of course. But it is simply a matter of either lowering that track level or adjusting the VU meter amp to bring it back to 0 again and it is by how much I can tell how much louder a commercial CD is above K -14. (about 6 to 8 db on average) So when I am mastering I simply recalibrate the mixer and the meters to say K -8 and then my K -14 mix will fall short of course but I then know how much I have to extract out of say the EQ, the Multiband and the limiter in order to bring it back up again to 0db.

I find that when mastering the only way to get all the tracks to sound the same loudness is with the VU meters. When I get all the tracks of an album just hitting 0 db VU it is only then that they all sound at exactly the correct volume going from track to track. And what is interesting is when you look at the tracks in Adobe Audition they are not all necessarily at the same height either. It depends so much on the program material.

So once again if I set up my system to say K -14 and played 10 different mixes from anyone here I would get 10 different levels on my VU's. Not only that, even if one person here sent me 5 mixes they would probably all be at different levels as well. But by using a system of reference you can get all your mixes nice and consistent.

Of course I recalibrate the monitor level in the room everytime I change a K level so no matter what K level I am working at I am hearing the same level in the room. I do that with band limited pink noise. (500Hz to 2 KHz) Bob has also got a K -20 pink noise (full bandwidth) download and that also plays back at 0 db when I have my system setup at K -20 (actually it is about -0.5 db but I think that is just the nature of the noise)

I dont know how anyone can do anything without VU meters. The Sonar meters are good for peak of course and that is important but the rms levels are so far down they are meaningless. Every decent mastering suite in the world has VU meters in there and all the best engineers use them. The Durrough is a great meter too. It was just cheaper the way I did it. They can reveal even more information. VU's great for setting record levels too, you just keep adjusting the input signal to get 0 db on the meter and that is it! If you are working at say K -14 then you know you have got 14 db of headroom above and that is why you never get clipping when you use a K system approach.

I hope that helps. Sorry this was so long. I have been accused of writing a novel at times on these forums. I wish I could be as succinct as Bit! I do teach this stuff too and it is just the teacher in me wanting to get across the concept as best I can.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/08/14 12:04:28

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 14:26:52 (permalink)
    The K-System isn't about clipping. It's not really about the digital world at all. I think that that's what people misunderstand about it. It's a *calibrated monitoring level* system. It does of course insure plenty of headroom in the digital world by it's nature, but that's not really what it's about.

The point is that you set up your system so that you know a given level in the digital world corresponds to a given SPL level at the listening position. That's the key to the whole thing. So, whichever K level you are doing, you set up so that the K-System 0dBFS corresponds to a level in the room that is known.

Now, since you don't want to go over that arbitrary dBFS level, the only way you can make it louder in the room is by doing more compression and bringing it back up again with makeup gain. So you have a setup where you always are working a fixed SPL level in the room, and that is set so that too much compression sounds too loud and too little loses detail in the quiet parts. That drives you naturally to have a level of compression that is appropriate for a reasonable listening level (which the SPL should be set to generate for material with the appropriate amount of compression.)

That also means you will end up mixing to a consistent Fletcher/Munson response curve, so that your stuff will have a good low/high vs. mid-range balance at average listening levels.

So it's actually quite useful and it's helped me a lot. Obviously you don't have to literally use any given system. It's the concept that's important, that you have a known dBFS peak level in the digital world and that you always work so that your mixes are peaking at that level in the loudest parts of the song (maybe with the biggest swells going over somewhat), and that peak level corresponds to an appropriate (and reproduceable) SPL at the mixing position. So you draw a little mark on your monitor controller's volume knob to represent the correct SPL level in order to always accurately get back to that point. You can have your arbitrary dBFS peak level to be anything you want (as long as you leave sufficient headroom.)

It really is very useful and I would recommend it to everyone, and I'm someone who is very skeptical about any sort of 'system'. This one has a very valid purpose and it works. You don't have to guess how much compression to use, it really naturally pushes you to the right amount.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jeff Evans
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 17:50:52 (permalink)
    Sorry Dean but I get the impression you dont fully understand it. Firstly it is about the digital world because we know that hitting 0db FS is not good so it is about staying well under that. In the analog world we often had 10 to 20 db of headroom above 0db VU so we did not have to worry about transients but in digital we do.

But you have made an incorrect statement here:

The point is that you set up your system so that you know a given level in the digital world corresponds to a given SPL level at the listening position. That's the key to the whole thing. So, whichever K level you are doing, you set up so that the K-System 0dBFS corresponds to a level in the room that is known.

The correct statement here is that: So whichever K level you are doing you set up the K-system 0db (RMS) corresponds to a level in that room that is known.

And as I have stated above, when I use the term rms from now on I mean that rms signal is a continuous tone except that the K level represents the tops of the sinewave peaks so it is 3 db higher than true rms.

There are three K reference levels don't forget. K-12, K-14 and K -20. They all show 0 db VU (rms) and yes I fully agree that they all correspond to the same SPL level in the room. Except the they all have different amounts of headroom available being 12, 14 and 20 db respectively. Bob based his K system design on the movie audio standard which is 85 db and that the digital rms level to achieve it is at -20 on the film. Which allows for not only constant levels of dialgue etc in the cinemas but a huge 20 db of headroom above if needed.

The K testing signals are all continuous tones or noise, its not about peak signals anywhere but it is about about how much headroom above you have. Bob Katz suggests that 12 db is about the least amount of headroom we should have in order to preserve transients but 20 db is better of course.

But yes on your point about maintaining a constant monitoring SPL in your room, that is very true and useful. It is about that but it is also about the fact we can do it at three continuous rms digital levels that have different amounts of headroom above.

Everyone forgets there are two aspects to a signal, its rms value and peak value. Being older and coming from the analog days we were concerned about rms only. But now in the digital world all the VU's and rms indicators have gone and the younger generation is obsessed with peak levels and that is important too because of the 0 db FS ceiling. It is the reason so many have problems with recording and mix levels because they are only looking at one aspect (peak) instead of both.

I wonder how many here actually have the rms and peak engaged in their metering. Bob is just trying to bring back the rms aspect as well as the peak aspect. But even if you do have rms and peak engaged, it is not the same as seeing that rms signal on a standard VU meter at 0 db VU. We really need both now. But as the rms values are so far down they are hard to see on any standard metering (and if you are only looking at peak you are not seeing it at all!) and that was the thought behind making a K system meter that shows a full scale indicator of 0 db (rms) while the signal is actually sitting at the K level well below.

A normal VU meter wont show the transients because it is too slow but the Bluecat meter is excellent because it shows both at the same time.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/08/14 18:52:36

droddey
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 20:34:22 (permalink)
    Sure it defines specific digital levels, but they are completely arbitrary and could have been other things and it wouldn't have made any difference. There's zero difference between any digital levels as long as they aren't clipping. The actually important thing, as long as you understand digital clipping and why it might be an issue and the possibilities of clipping internally or between plugs and such, is the calibrated listening level. The digital levels could be anything.

And yes, sorry about saying peak when I should have said RMS using the tones. But it's not necessary to get extremely bent out of shape about particular values. The point is to understand the reasons for such a system and make use of them.

If someone doesn't want to go through the whole dance and buy an SPL meter, they could do something as simple as:

1. Import a song into the DAW they know is stupidly compressed
    2. Set the track fader so that the master bus is peaking at some reasonable level, such as -9dBFS or something like that. For such a track peak and RMS will not very far apart at all because it won't have any real dynamics.
    3. Adjust your monitor controller or speaker levels such that it is just very annoyingly loud.
    4. Makes sure you can get back to that monitor controller level or speaker level exactly by marking it

In effect, you've done about the same thing. It's not nearly as strict a means of calibration, but for most folks it would be a positive step forward. If your mixes are bouncing just up to or slighly over that dBFS level, then the only way you can get it too loud is to compress it too much.  As a sanity check you can also do another one that's known to be quite dyanmic, and find a happy medium monitor level between the two. As long as you consistenly keep your mix at that dBFS level'ish and keep the monitor levels consisten, you'll have a reasonably calibrated setup that will tend to drive you to use reasonable compression levels.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/08/14 20:37:19

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jeff Evans
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 22:13:36 (permalink)
    I agree about what the digital levels are for the rms part of the sound not being that important but I can see where they came from. The 85 db spl cinema audio thing with 20 db of headroom above that. The next major level shift upward though would be 6 db and that is where -14 came from. I have been working at -15 for a long time before I discovered K system.

The fact that the digital levels could be anything is not quite true because if you chose a level of say -40 db as a reference, then the digital noise floor which might be down at -90 db is now only 50 db away from our ref level. It may become audible. But -20 means we have still got a very hefty 70 db down before we are going to hear any digital noise. This is where 24 bit recording is a big plus too. Even if the CD ends up at 16 bit, that initial resolution there is well worth it.

You are so right about today the rms and the peak levels of the music today are too close and what Bob Katz is also saying is let us get that rms part back down to a sensible level and just turn up your monitors. If we drop the rms part back down from  -1 or -2 down to -14db then we can turn our monitors up another 12 db and we are right back to where we were. Except the music can sound transient. Imagaine how good a heavy metal mix would sound mastered at -20 but listening at 105 db spl. The drums would knock you over.

I dont think we will ever hear the full potential of digital recording and how truly nice it can sound until we get all mastering houses to conform to a standard and why not make it -20 and then crank up our monitor systems to make up for it. We have got great monitor technology and we can deliver high powered loud music without distortion. But we are using up that last 1 db of digital to make up for all the poor listening systems out there and environments.

I agree the K system is very helpful and it just keeps that constant monitor level in the room and yes I totally agree that it can effect how much compression you use on a final master. Less usually. I still find though the best way to keep tabs on your spl levels is through a mike in the room feeding a rack mounted spl meter. Marking your monitor control is great too, but you need a larger more accurate knob in this situation for it to work.

There is a wonderful CD by Ahmad Jamal that was all recorded at 24 bit 96 k without a compressor in sight right to the final CD. You have to turn it up but it is an experience. Ahmad often goes from a whisper to a roar in an instant and it knocks you off your feet every time it happens. This is rare digital experience though. They are doing it now to with people like Brad Mehldau. Sure they are using compressors but they are backing off a bit and the music is sounding just so much more transient.

jcatena
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 22:16:09 (permalink)
    To me the main advantage of the K system is the calibrated monitoring and metering.
    The management of the amount of headroom is something we always had to do regardless of the K system. K simply states 3 preset or recommended levels that are very adequate, but in fact except for the calibrated monitoring I always did that to some arbitrary levels, that happened to be -20 and -12 (funny, isn't it?).
    Another interesting thing is understanding metering. I use a calibrated meter that shows peaks, RMS, and perceived loudness (which is RMS after a fletcher-munson compensation eq). Well, the later is actually the level you hear, so you may not need it, but it is helpful to see the real loudness/peak ratio as you work. This is the reason I said i don't need to work at k-14 or k-12, i constantly see the peak/rms/loudness ratio, so if i'm aiming to a loud mix, i know i have to keep peaks relatively low, say at -6, in order to go for k-14. Instead of changing the cal to k-14 or k-12, i find better to have the 20 dB headroom and watch the peak levels instead to not exceed the desired margin, at least while mixing. For mastering I actually change the calibration according the the target level, but I'm usually already there or almost, I don't have to gain a lot loudness as jeff says, i'm already close because i knew the peak/rms/loudnes ratios while mixing and worked toward the desired margin.
    The recommended calibration is 85 dB SPL C weighted (per each speaker) for a -18dB rms pink noise signal (83 dB/-20 dB is exactly the same). You mark it as "0 dB", and then mark each 1dB step in the monitoring gain control, with larger marks at -6 and -8 (k-14 and k-12). I actually marked every 1 dB from -15 to +9 in the Big Knob.
    Michael was right in that i had it in my head, 85 dB SPL is a nice and easy to remember number ;)

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    droddey
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/14 23:17:09 (permalink)
    I'm in a small apartment, so there's no way I can use 85 dB SPL. But it doesn't matter, and the 85 dB is really assuming a mastering type room with far-field speakers. In a small room with near fields you are supposed to lower it to something more appropriate.

The actual level isn't important, it's just that it's set so that overly compressed material is uncomfortably loud and very highly dynamic material is probably a bit uncomfortably too low in the quieter parts and a bit too loud in the loudest parts. If so, then that's a good level in your particular room to mix on, since you'll naturally gravitate towards an appropriate level of compression.

My room is small enough that mid-70's SPL is quite loud. So I have my K-14 scheme set up a mid-70's SPL with the test tone. Anything slipping up over the 0dB K-14 range is getting quite loud in my small room at that SPL (particularly given that I have relatively large near fields as well, but with a heavily treated room of course else I'd be in big trouble.)

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    jcatena
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/15 01:00:24 (permalink)
    I'm in a small apartment, so there's no way I can use 85 dB SPL. But it doesn't matter, and the 85 dB is really assuming a mastering type room with far-field speakers. In a small room with near fields you are supposed to lower it to something more appropriate.

85 dB is not very loud, it is very appropiate and comfortable. Think that it is less than 1W of power for average speaker sensitivities (absolute max peak power will be about 10W). Unless sound isolation is overly bad in your flat you should not disturb your neighbors with such level.

The actual level isn't important, it's just that it's set so that overly compressed material is uncomfortably loud and very highly dynamic material is probably a bit uncomfortably too low in the quieter parts and a bit too loud in the loudest parts. If so, then that's a good level in your particular room to mix on, since you'll naturally gravitate towards an appropriate level of compression.

My room is small enough that mid-70's SPL is quite loud. So I have my K-14 scheme set up a mid-70's SPL with the test tone. Anything slipping up over the 0dB K-14 range is getting quite loud in my small room at that SPL (particularly given that I have relatively large near fields as well, but with a heavily treated room of course else I'd be in big trouble.)
    Droddey, 85 dB SPL is very appropiate and comfortable. Think that it is less than 1W of power for average speaker sensitivities (peak power will never reach 10W even at k-20). Unless sound isolation is overly bad in your flat you should not disturb your neighbors with such level. You may want to mix a bit lower or a bit higher than that, but not very much. 10 dB less and you may miss details, 10 dB more and it may be  fatiguing. And tonal balance less than ideal in either case. It is the level the vast majority of people finds more comfortable to hear music.
    It is not that "too much compression will be too loud", actually it does not work that way at all when using calibrated monitoring, since you lower the monitoring gain according to the increase in loudness. It is that if you get used to work at a constant and appropiate level you can judge better the levels and dynamics, even using only your ear, and even when hearing a soloed instrument. And because you adjust the monitoring gain to the actual target K, you are not fooled by hearing it louder. As you go for higher average loudness, monitoring is adjusted accordingly so at the end you always work with the same perceived level, so an excess of compression will be noticed as lack of dynamics, excess of distortion, or whatever, but not actually any louder.
    Indeed the main point of calibrated monitoring is to work at a constant and comfortable loudness and get used to it so that it is easier to judge levels and loudnes/peak ratios. The exact SPL used is not that critical, but the recommendation is for a reason, and levels softer or louder than that by more than 10 dB are far from ideal.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/15 08:40:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the detailed explanation about your VU meters Jeff!

best,
    mike

Jeff Evans
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/15 09:53:42 (permalink)
    Dean  I agree with Jose. 85 db is a good level but not too obtrusive. If the nearfields are closer it is just a matter of adjusting your monitor gain for 85 db where you are. I suppose it came from the OH&S laws which say you can listen to it for extended periods.

I also monitor in mono through an Auratone type device at lower levels eg 75 db spl and that is getting fairly quiet. You can hear the critical balance and that is the relationship of many instruments to each other. Many things stand out in this mode of monitoring. I have got into 65 db as well. It is a great way to balance vocals to the backing. 

But you need to come up to 85 and even higher for a while eg 90 or 95 db. Then all the reverbs will become abundantly clear. You will want to turn them down. Also you will hear the bass and kick very well too up loud. I also listen to my main monitors quiet, but only for a while just to establish a few things and get them sitting better in a mix.

When the little speaker sounds very well balanced, turning the whole thing up loud can sound really great. Then you have got your mix well covered over loud/soft.

Check you are in C weighting when you are taking measurments, the A weighting gives you a false level. (Too loud)

droddey
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/15 13:51:43 (permalink)
    85 dB SPL is incredibly loud in a small room with near fields. The THX standard for home theaters is 85dB and no one would set up their home theater in a small apartment for the full 85dB SPL level, not if they don't want to get kicked out. It would be way too loud. I know because I used to have a THX setup, very well calibrated.

I do turn it up louder occasionally to see what it sounds like. But 85 SPL, there's no way I would do that in this apartment regularly. The mid-70s level is plenty loud enough to hear the details in my small room.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/08/15 13:52:44

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Norrie
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/15 19:29:18 (permalink)
    Hi guys looks as if ive started a big debate here :P

I uploaded my first track tonight would love to know your thoughts if you can take the time. I am not a good singer btw just a word of warning to you all haha

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/NorrieChristie

Thanks to any one who will give me feed back on here or there :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/15 20:35:49 (permalink)
    Headroom/clipping -- subtract volume levels from each track while playing somewhat loudly.  IIRC, Bob Katz also suggests this.  This is artistic as well.

Superior Drummer 2 / Add-ons -- I stopped using their ridiculous tiny Fx's and compressors.  cw Sonitus and others are better.

Seasoned mixers prefer to start with 2 much headroom and work up.  But artists think positives and negatives, effects and counter-effects, level changes and compliments.

All of us love to share ideas on this and other production techniques.  God bless!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    sandyeric
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/16 00:48:17 (permalink)
    Jeff,

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. I have read this many years ago in a recording engineering book that I eventually lost.

A couple questions:

How does one incorporate your system in the following audio chain (streamlined from interface to computer by firewire)

Source to record>Instrument or Mic input of Interface (Presonus Firestudio A/D 26/26)>{FireWire Output to Computer}> Sonar 64 bit 8.5.3 ALSO individual and stereo Audio outputs of Presonus A/D > My 6 channel Peavey RQ200 mixer > Peavey Bx5a near-field powered speakers.

Were does one break the audio signal to transition to the VU meters (bridge)?

How is it that we have the assurance that the levels downloaded from a website such as Bob Katz's is at a specific level?

I have a CD purchased called " Recording Studio Test CD" with 1 Khz tones from 0, -10, -20, -30 etc DB Reference tones, Square waves, Pink Noise, and more calibrating signals By albert Tezera for TME (2002 Tejera Microsystems Engineering Riverview Florida USA.) There are over 79 different tones and signals available on this disk.
    I'm hoping this will provide me with the needed tones for your system.

I also need some idea of meters that I should be using with price being an issue but not an absolute.

Thanks again for your input, I shall look for Bob Katz site.

Sandy

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:How much head room should I leave on tracks ? Volume problems and cliping problems 2010/08/16 09:31:37 (permalink)
    sandyeric,

You can test your test tones in a wave editor. You can view test tones on an analyzer in SONAR. You can also create your own test tones using any tone generator you have in your software. The test tones at digi doo are accurately labeled... they are what they say they are.

Here's a link to a premade VU meter package:

http://www.crookwood.com/~crookwood/vu-meters.html

They seem to have some pertinent info about VU meters and digital systems.

best regards,
    mike

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1