How often do you shut down a DAW?

Author
mavafamusic
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
2010/09/18 20:55:22 (permalink)

How often do you shut down a DAW?

I only asking because my hdd is failing and on inspection I found it to be 7 years old.

It has been said that if a computer is left on indefinitely it could last 15 or more years. 

So what is the norm in the audio world regarding shutting down a computer?

Do people hibernate, sleep,standby or do nothing? I would like to know.

Cheers

Peter.

Win 7 Pro x64
3.0 GHz Intel E6850 Core Duo
8GB Ram
Intel DP35DP
Echo Mia Midi
Echo Gina 3G
M-Audio Axiom 49
Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

I thought that love was worth something, I just gave mine away for nothing.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/bbnbroken

15 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/18 22:47:53 (permalink)
    In the days when chips were plugged (no solder) into the boards, there was legitimate concern that repeated cycles of heating and cooling would loosen the connections. That is much less of a concern with soldered joints. The only devices that suffer on-of stress in a modern computer are fans and the hard drives, and the general wear of leaving them running continuously for many more hours than needed is probably as bad as spin-up. Do you leave your television on 24/7 so it will last longer?

http://www.deq.state.or.us/lq/pubs/factsheets/sw/ComputersMonitors.pdf

P.S. If you have any doubt about your hard drive clone it and replace it. You will save enough energy turning off your computer when not in use to buy a new hard drive in less than 7 years.

Also do you seriously plan to be using the same computer in 15 years?
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2010/09/18 22:50:42
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 04:08:39 (permalink)
    I rarely ever shut my PC down, maybe once or twice a month

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    mavafamusic
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 09:45:00 (permalink)
    I never leave the telly on if its not been watched. No I don't see myself using the same pc in 15 years.

I'm only concerned about the fact that powering up(spinning up) a hard drive very often could cause premature failing. 

Also I was just curious on what people do when it comes to shutting down a computer.

Cheers

Peter.

Win 7 Pro x64
    8GB Ram
    Intel DP35DP
    Echo Mia Midi
    Echo Gina 3G
    M-Audio Axiom 49
    Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

mavafamusic
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 09:51:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link. Very reassuring.

Cheers
    Peter.

Win 7 Pro x64
    8GB Ram
    Intel DP35DP
    Echo Mia Midi
    Echo Gina 3G
    M-Audio Axiom 49
    Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 13:56:45 (permalink)
    Generally for a DAW you disable all the unwanted background functions and power saving is usually one of them.
    Normally these setting will shut down your hard drive when not in use for more than ?? say 2 hours.
    My 2 computers that are not used for DAW have power saving set to
    Monitor off -15 min.
    stand by 30 min
    Hibernate 2 hours.
    I sut them down every couple of days because there are reasons you need to do this which I cannot recall this early in the morning on 1 cup of coffee.

My DAWs are treated like all my studio gear. There on when I'm working and off when not.
    I have a master AC plug that is pulled when storms are happening and I'm away for a longer time.
    I change my hard drives at least every 2 years.
    The old drives go in office computers as back up drives or in a USB case.
    New drives are always upgraded for the plain fact the new drives get bigger and faster etc. I've never paid more than $100.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 18:54:04 (permalink)
    I say turn off your computer. It is myth that hard drives are going to last much longer running all the time. They are designed to power up and down. The power consumption factor alone leaving them on permanently is a good enough reason. Also you are sucking a lot of dirt inside your machine and a computer that is left on all the time will be much dirtier inside. (and hotter too)

Windows likes being shut down and booted up regularly. I teach sound engineering and we use Macs a lot there. When a Mac has been left on for a long period and I come in and teach at night it often gives trouble. Shutting down and rebooting usually clears any issues. So the same would apply to a PC as well.

johnnyV has got the right idea. If you are worried about hard drive wear then replace them every two or three years and you wont have any problems. They are cheap enough.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 19:34:11 (permalink)
    The thing about turning off a computer from time to time is based on some sort of cashe that the machine uses ... I think it stores the data in the cashe in it's RAM...filling up as it does what it does. The seek times slow the machine down, so shutting it off clears the cashe.... I don't know how that plays now days with the faster computers and larger RAM......

Anyway... my take on this topic is... turn it on when you need it, and when you finish...shut it off.  Leaving it on uses electricity, and creates heat inside the box and wear on the components. Heat degrades the parts and IMHO there is no need to let it set there and run.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mavafamusic
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/19 19:38:04 (permalink)
    Guessing you guys are right on the money, I will take all the advice into hand and view my DAW differently. That is to say that it will not last more than two years and I may need to replace hdd's and reinstall windows etc....

johnnyV, my net book has power management and I know what you mean.
    Having any sort of power management in a DAW would surely be a disaster.

Thanks guys,

Peter.

Win 7 Pro x64
    8GB Ram
    Intel DP35DP
    Echo Mia Midi
    Echo Gina 3G
    M-Audio Axiom 49
    Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/20 14:47:58 (permalink)
    Computer do not power-off, even when powered down. This is so they can be remotely started via the net card. This means power is always supplied to the net interface, even when net booting is disabled in BIOS.

I have ALL the audio stuff connected to a Furman power conditioner. This has a master power switch. I use it.

Computers are more susceptible to power spikes when on. All mine are off every night. All are connected to power strips which are switched off after the computers power down.

The audio computer is set as follows:
    Screen blanker: never
    Monitors off: never
    Disks off: never
    Hibernate: never
    Special Power stuff: never

I power on and off the computer and all the audio equipment when used.

All of the other computers (5) are set as:
    Screen blanker: 20 minutes
    Monitors off:  40 minutes
    Disks off: 20 minutes
    Hibernate: 2 hours
    Special Power stuff: set in bios to auto

My main off office computer is set to not hibernate because it is used for all the public docs and pictures,... including all audio related documents, and reference materials, since I may want to learn something when the audio computer is not on.

But, your concern about the disk is valid. Even though the mean-time-between-failure for disks is over 1,000,000 hours, some are DOA. And some just quit. Last year we had our dedicated web server powered-down to replace the backup drive with a larger bit. The OS drive would not spin. Very sad 4 days.

Do this now, and regularly:
    Run a windows full disk scan. Then download an ISO for the disk from the manufacturer's website, run the full test. This will check disk integrity, SMART, surface problems. If needed get a utility like Spinrite and run it at level 5, which will recover data if need be, and mark bad sectors,...

All disks have surface faults. Most are marked as such by the factory low level format. Some can develop. I have had good luck with Spinrite fixing these disks and some have lasted for years afterward.

Even though NTFS is better than 98 at maintaining the file system, it can become corrupted. At least weekly I run a basic check-disk for ALL drives.

J

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/20 14:51:16 (permalink)
    My computer shuts down completely because.... I have a switch that shuts ALL the power off to the outlet it is on.

But yeah, I think you're right about that.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/21 11:24:08 (permalink)
    And don't forget that a switch only kills the hot and that power surges and lightning can still pass through to your equipment.
    PULL THE PLUG! or use a switch box that has all three wires disconnected like they have for industrial stuff. 
    Personally I don't see the point in scanning disks all the time.
    I've never lost one bit of data in 25 years. Spend your time making a backup.
    And hard drives are like all consumer products so you are well advised to do a little research before you purchase.
    I buy my parts from NCIX and they have a user forum where you can quickly find out whats good and what is not so good.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/22 10:38:04 (permalink)
    My DAWs are treated like all my studio gear. There on when I'm working and off when not.

Ditto

I have a master AC plug that is pulled when storms are happening and I'm away for a longer time

Ditto

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    jm24
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/22 10:55:34 (permalink)
    It is good to scan the file system regularly. Stuff happens.

And: an interesting bit:

Intending to add another fan for hardrives, (temps range from 32 to 38), I find this info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

A common misconception is that a colder hard drive will last longer than a hotter hard drive. The Google study seems to imply the reverse—"lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates". Hard drives with S.M.A.R.T.-reported average temperatures below 27 °C (80.6 °F) had higher failure rates than hard drives with the highest reported average temperature of 50 °C (122 °F), failure rates at least twice as high as the optimum S.M.A.R.T.-reported temperature range of 36 °C (96.8 °F) to 47 °C (116.6 °F).[53]

So, no need to add another fan.  Much rejoicing.  Rather, how do I increase the drive temps, to extend life?

J
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/22 12:41:23 (permalink)
    Rather, how do I increase the drive temps, to extend life?

jm24
    Re:How often do you shut down a DAW? 2010/09/22 12:47:13 (permalink)
    Thank you.
    Been wanting one of those.
    But couldn't find the link.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1