Helpful ReplyHow to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise

Author
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
2017/02/19 18:23:03 (permalink)

How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise

I'm trying to get my computer whisper quiet, but still have one obstacle to overcome. I have a single Noctua NF-12 120mm fan and a Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler, all housed in a Fractal R4 silent case. This has helped cut down noise considerably, however I'm still hearing the fan motor noise pretty significantly as it's amplified by the chassis. It's at a specific frequency, so I'm worried that introducing that extra noise will cause me to artificially cut my mixes there. However, I have no idea how to eliminate it. The fan motor noise is definitely coming from the Noctua, as unplugging it makes the pc virtually silent. Also, it's brand new as I just got it to replace the stock Corsair fan that came with the cooler. I was also getting the motor noise with the Corsair fan. Finally, I've tried adding some rubber washers to the mounting screws but that didn't seem to help it at all. Is there anything else I can do? It's one of those deals that by itself, it isn't very loud, but just noticing it makes it extremely loud in my mind and drives me crazy!
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/19 19:33:23 (permalink)
My DAW is pretty quiet more or less. I'm at my my office computer right now and it's notably louder.  For my DAW build I shopped for recommended parts that were known to be quiet. And the case is the most important part of this. My case has dampening pads on the sides. The Fan on the processor is the only one you can hear if you listen or if you take the sides off. The Power supply is quiet and there's no other fans. I didn't have to use case fans because the case is way bigger than what is really needed. My RAM has these huge heat fins and all but one BU drive is SSD which are cool. So only the CPU fan and its on some speed control so never really ramps up with what I'm doing. 
I'd shop around for a quiet fan. Lot's of info on that on Computer forums. I use the NCIX forum for these type of questions.  http://forums.ncix.com/

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/19 19:58:04 (permalink)
It seems that your fan has been rated very quiet in the reviews at Newegg.  Don't know what's going on, maybe the RPM?
https://www.newegg.com/Pr...x?Item=N82E16835608004

Check this out... Installing An Ultra-Quiet Fan
http://www.tomshardware.c...rformance,3435-16.html

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/20 06:23:41 (permalink)
See this thread I posted about how I got rid of Corsair cooler noise.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...ad-Quiet-m3562802.aspx

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
metz
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/20 07:03:06 (permalink)
I put tons of effort into making the silent computer say 7 years ago. It all ended with me giving up. Sure I got the noise levels down. But you get to a point where you start noticing EVERYTHING. I want the best performance possible and no noise.... I don't think it's possible even with today's tech. One will have to go.

M
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/20 08:53:02 (permalink)
It is hard to fight against physics laws, but it is possible to use them.
Good way to make something inaudible is defining the line what is inaudible for you in your environment and select proper components for that level. Making existing system quite can be challenging. Also be aware about numbers...
For example you have already replaced 3.2 mm/H20 H60 fan with at most 2.6 mm/H20 NF-12. That does not mean something can be overheated, Liquid coolers are normally targeting "over-clocking enthusiasts". You just need sufficient parameters for CPU in question (which you also have not specified). So, many be you can use even lower noise fan, down to ULN:
http://noctua.at/en/products/fan
But ULN is 0.6 mm/H20...

One thing to check: does the noise really comes from the motor? The air flow going throw case mesh can be louder then the motor. And usually cut in metal halls like in R4 are far from optimal. Try to keep the fan in hands outside of the case, does it produce the same sound? If not, that is not the motor. Can be vibration (put it on the case surface to check) or the mesh (brutal making a big hall on its place can help, there are grills to put there in case you worry children put fingers there).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/20 12:10:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vilovilo 2017/02/20 13:12:50
Thanks for all the great tips! I'll try mounting the noctua externally and see if that improves anything, and also run some tests to try and isolate exactly what is causing the hum.
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/20 16:01:22 (permalink)
My solution was to put the system in the broom closet. My computer room is next to a broom closet out in the hall. So I drilled a hole and ran a pipe in between and the computer lives out there.
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/20 22:47:40 (permalink)
Don't use stock fans.  Go and get some quiet cooling fans for you computer and if you did not buy a PC case with insulation for dampening the sound, then get some PC insulation and take off both side panels and Velcro the padding inside.   You will need a fan regulator, but it should not get hot as you have the good quiet cooler fans.

I have two fans on the top, two fans on the bottom, two fans in the front of the case and two fans on the back.

Spend some money on your box as it has to work well for you.  The two at the top and in the front pull air. in  The two at the bottom and the back pull air out.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/21 02:58:29 (permalink)
I have an extremely quiet PC (see specs below).
I replaced my harddrives with digital drives to remove vibration.
I have a Fractal case that still cause fan vibration noise until I put a heavy book on the top of it. That worked!
You can't hear the PC at all.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/21 09:54:10 (permalink)
superdan54
I'm trying to get my computer whisper quiet, but still have one obstacle to overcome. I have a single Noctua NF-12 120mm fan and a Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler, all housed in a Fractal R4 silent case. This has helped cut down noise considerably, however I'm still hearing the fan motor noise pretty significantly as it's amplified by the chassis. It's at a specific frequency, so I'm worried that introducing that extra noise will cause me to artificially cut my mixes there. However, I have no idea how to eliminate it. The fan motor noise is definitely coming from the Noctua, as unplugging it makes the pc virtually silent. Also, it's brand new as I just got it to replace the stock Corsair fan that came with the cooler. I was also getting the motor noise with the Corsair fan. Finally, I've tried adding some rubber washers to the mounting screws but that didn't seem to help it at all. Is there anything else I can do? It's one of those deals that by itself, it isn't very loud, but just noticing it makes it extremely loud in my mind and drives me crazy!

If the Noctua fan is audible when the case is closed, I'd replace it.

Are you sure the resonance you're hearing isn't HD related?
Sometimes, HDs (even when mounted on rubber grommets) can cause significant case resonance... which results in case vibration noise.  Moving the HD/s to a different slot can help de-emphasize this resonance... and prevent the noise.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/21 12:38:32 (permalink)
Multiple fans running at lower speed typically make less noise than a single fan at high speed.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/21 18:41:28 (permalink)
Noctua fans are usually very quiet indeed, especially if run on reduced voltage. I've had several over the years and out of the many "quiet" fans I've tried they're about the quietest in the same way the big Noctua coolers seem to be the most efficient. I usually aim to run them at around 5V, using a controller if necessary to up the voltage at boot/wake if ghe fans won't start at 5V (some won't). I also pick the biggest fans possible. The PC in my sig has two fans and never overheats and is almost silent (about 24dB at 1 metre). One fan is on the cpu cooler but working "backwards" to the way Noctua's instructions say and the other is an extraction fan at the back of the case.

I don't use automated fan speed control at all, they just gently tick over all the time. But when I build a PC DAW I do quite a lot of experimenting with fan voltages/speeds and placement while temperature monitoring as part of the process until I find what seems to be the optimum for that particular build. Once I can hold the cpu at 100% for ten minutes without getting anywhere near the cpu's thermal rating or into cpu self-throttling I generally reckon it's getting enough air.

What can sometimes happen is that if there's two fans, e.g. cpu and a case fan, the two can set up beats (like two synth vco's slightly detuned) between each other that are louder than the combined noise when they're not beating. I've found that moving the case fan a little or making a small voltage adjustment to "tune" the motor speeds can make a huge difference to this.

Case resonance can also be a surprisingly loud noise source. The "sound proofing" kits sold for cases can help with that, though they won't prevent noise escaping despite what the manufacturers say because noise will get out of any hole. They can be very useful for damping vibrating panels though. An alternative that might be cheaper is the self-adhesive matting that's used for sticking to car floor-pans under the carpets to dampen panel resonances.

Playing around with the airflow in the case can also make a big difference to noise levels. My previous PC ended up with the case fan blowing air in at the bottom rear and exiting through the top 5.25" front drive bay. An odd setup but it ran much cooler than a "conventional" approach which meant I could reduce the fan voltages and hence noise.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
omasse
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: How to Eliminate Fan Motor Noise 2017/02/22 05:15:24 (permalink)
Since more 2 years now I use to put Be quiet.
A little bit less expensive than Noctua.

I own an Fractal define R5.

With this configuration I have very quiet PC.

GA Z77DS3H- I7 3770 - 16 Gb Ram - R9 270X - 2 SSD 2 HDD - Presonus FireStudio Mobile - Win 10 Pro x64
SONAR X3 - Platinium - Studio one 2 - Renoise
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1