How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ?

Author
danevaz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2017/03/11 22:23:43 (permalink)

How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ?

Hi All,

Longtime PT user making the switch to Sonar Pro.

Couple of questions:

Trying to import a stereo audio file from an old PT project.  PT stores it as two separate files - L & R.  How do I bring it in to Sonar as one stereo file?

Find myself doing a lot of mouse clicking - still trying to learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Is there an easy way to resize all the tracks (vertically) in the track view - e.g. make them all the same height with one keyboard shortcut?  I toyed with the "Set as Default Size" option - but I don't think it worked the way I expected.

Thanks,
Danny V.

9 Replies Related Threads

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/11 22:33:31 (permalink)
    danevaz
    Trying to import a stereo audio file from an old PT project.  PT stores it as two separate files - L & R.  How do I bring it in to Sonar as one stereo file?

After importing the clips to separate tracks, pan one fully left and the other fully right. Select them both, right-click and Bounce To Tracks.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/12 10:49:39 (permalink)
    danevaz
    Hi All,

Is there an easy way to resize all the tracks (vertically) in the track view - e.g. make them all the same height with one keyboard shortcut?  I toyed with the "Set as Default Size" option - but I don't think it worked the way I expected.

Thanks,
    Danny V.

Hi. The keystroke for that is "F". To revert to previous view size, "Alt+Z".
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/12 14:50:19 (permalink)
    danevaz
    Hi All,

Couple of questions:

The only way PT exports dual stereo files is if you exported it like that.
    There is no way to combine the 2 files within one track in sonar. your best bet is to import both files and pan them= 1 hard left / 1 hard right. then export that file to a stereo file (if you wish to have 1 stereo track).

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/12 16:06:44 (permalink)
    It cannot be done directly, but here's my method:

1.  Drag the two mono clips into the blank area under the last track in the Track Inspector (scroll to get space if required)
    - This is easier than using Import and always puts the clips at the beginning of the track.

2.  Set the outputs to the hardware outputs of your interface

3.  Select the two tracks (Track number must be blue, timeline must be highlighted over full clip lengths)

4.  Ensure no other tracks are selected!

5.  Pan the two tracks hard left and right

6.  Go to the track dropdown menu, open the Tracks > Bounce to Track(s) dialog

7.  Set:
    Destination: New Track
    Souce Category: Hardware Outputs
    Channel Format: Stereo
    Dithering: Triangular
    Mix Enables: Enable Track Automation and Fast Bounce

8. Hit [ OK ]

9. Delete the two mono tracks if you don't need them
    jpetersen
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/12 16:18:53 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot one step:
    8.5 - Listen to the stereo track to make sure left is left and right is right.
    If not, switch the panning and repeat.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/12 23:54:37 (permalink)
    Although the above will work for the stereo track issue, the best route to take (if available) for your sanity is to open all your applicable PT projects and export tracks as broadcast wav files (in proper format). SONAR can be set to import those to the proper timestamp (PT defaults to 1 hr down the timeline, I believe).

If you have more than a handful of track issues, consider another PT export of those projects.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    danevaz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/15 03:39:56 (permalink)
    Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I have a lot to learn moving from PT.

Re: the resizing of the tracks - your tips helped.  I also figured out if I select multiple tracks, I can then do a Shift+drag to resize one track and all the other selected tracks resize accordingly.  That was useful for me.

Re: the import of the two mono - files and then bouncing to stereo...  I tried the suggestions here - but I didn't have any luck.  The resulting "stereo file" played back as if it was mono - I lost the stereo spread.

I suspect it's user error on my part.

But thanks again for the responses.

Danny V.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/15 05:41:09 (permalink)
    danevaz
    Hi All,

Couple of questions:

Find myself doing a lot of mouse clicking - still trying to learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks,
    Danny V.

Sorry that's not the way PT stores stereo file. All stereo waves are stored as stereo ie 1 file with a left and right track.

You may have to go back to PT and check on your export settings. Or check that the file is a stereo file and not two mono files occupying adjacent tracks.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    jpetersen
    Re: How to Import L & R Audio Files as One Stero Track (Not 2 Mono) ? 2017/03/15 18:43:23 (permalink)
    danevaz
    Re: the import of the two mono - files and then bouncing to stereo...  I tried the suggestions here - but I didn't have any luck.  The resulting "stereo file" played back as if it was mono - I lost the stereo spread.

5.  Pan the two tracks hard left and right
    7.  Set:
    Mix Enables: Enable Track Automation

If Enable Track Automation is not selected, the pan is ignored.

It's as non-intuitive a dialog as you can get.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1