How to Record SI-String and similar stuff?

Author
Vision Maker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/03/03 04:38:18 (permalink)

How to Record SI-String and similar stuff?

Hello !

I'm completly new to this program, just bought on steam, not an expert in music just wanna have some fun being creative... I wanna make a song with the SI-String but I can't record it, it keeps recording only my microphone (I don't want to record my mic at all tho), just the SI-String !

Please any help would be appreciated !

5 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: How to Record SI-String and similar stuff? 2014/03/03 05:03:01 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!

Before you can be creative you simply need to read the manual and do the tutorials.
    It's not very practical that we start copy pasting the manual here, is it? :o)
    When you have done the homework and have specific questions, you'll find help here for sure.

And whenever you ask, it's good to list your gear and software specs. Put them in your signature/footer. Then spend a moment formulating your question.
    Now, for example, we don't know what software  version you are using, nor what's the mic you mention (laptops own mic, external mic connected to external soundcard???). Neither do we know how you've set your track inputs etc., i.e. how have you tried to solve the problem.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Vision Maker
    Re: How to Record SI-String and similar stuff? 2014/03/03 05:41:31 (permalink)
    I tried to look everywhere for this particular question, I can see lots and lots of tutorials, 30min videos, but I really just wanted to know how to NOT record my microphone at all, just the sound we can create on the SI-Strings...

I'm using Music Creator 6 Touch.

I have a Siberia V2 with external soundcard... My track just records my microphone or nothing at all...

Music Creator 6 Touch

Intel I7 3600K - 16GB 2133Mhz Ripjawz - Geforce GTX680 - Corsair TX850M
    Vision Maker
    Re: How to Record SI-String and similar stuff? 2014/03/03 05:41:39 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention I don't wanna use any external instruments either, no MIDI 
    post edited by Vision Maker - 2014/03/03 06:10:13

Music Creator 6 Touch

Intel I7 3600K - 16GB 2133Mhz Ripjawz - Geforce GTX680 - Corsair TX850M
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: How to Record SI-String and similar stuff? 2014/03/03 06:49:08 (permalink)
    Vision Maker
    I forgot to mention I don't wanna use any external instruments either, no MIDI 

Ok. Then you can forget about using SI Strings, which is a VST soft synth controlled by MIDI.
    You record the MIDI (preferably played by a MIDI controller keyboard), and that MIDI plays the strings. That's how soft synths work. MIDI is like digital sheet music.
    You can also write the MIDI in the Piano Roll or Staff View, if you don't use a controller.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: How to Record SI-String and similar stuff? 2014/03/03 09:35:10 (permalink)
    Yeah.... kind of...

Music Creator  records only 2 things. Audio and midi.  Audio is from the mic which you said you don't want to use, so that leaves midi. Midi is totally digital and can use SI-Strings as well as dozens of other synths.

Midi can be recorded a number of ways. The most common is to have a dedicated sound card or interface which accepts midi input or a midi keyboard which has a USB connection to the computer. Either works fine. You select the midi source from the midi inputs drop down and select it.

If playing a keyboard is not your thing, there is one other way... maybe 2, but similar. 

One is to import midi loops and string them together and edit them as needed.

The second way, albeit the hardest way to work with midi is to use either the PRV or the staff view and manually click the notes in one at a time. You have to place each note, determine the pitch, the duration, the velocity, and any controllers for that note.... all of which takes time...lots of time.

I have heard several songs composed through the years on this forum where the poster said this was exactly how they did the composition. So it's not impossible to do.

If you don't play a musical instrument, I would suggest looking at the loops and possibly even Song Smith from microsoft >>>> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/   this allows you to make music without having instruments. Some genre's are more easily made than others. Then import the tracks into MC and mix them as you need.

That would be my suggestion to you.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1