Helpful ReplyHow to add metadata to a Broadcast wav file when exporting audio from Sonar Platinum?

Author
cglensmith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2017/06/08 18:42:41 (permalink)

How to add metadata to a Broadcast wav file when exporting audio from Sonar Platinum?

Hi All,

So, I found the notes browser and this has some fields for me to enter some text for song title, artist, album, and copyright information. Reading Sonar documentation, I am led to believe that this metadata from the notes browser is embedded when you export audio out as a broadcast wav file. However, none of this information actually shows up after the export, when I look at the file in the detail view of windows explorer on my PC. In contrast, I can go to Sound Forge, open the broadcast wav file that I created in Sonar, go to the metadata option, add metadata information and save the file out as a wav.... and it is embedded no problem. When I look at the file in explorer, the metadata is there displayed in the detail view, like Sonar should have done... as described in the user documentation. 

QUESTION:
I just want to know whether it's possible to save a broadcast wav file inside Sonar with the metadata included from the notes browser, like the documentation implies Sonar can do. Has anyone had success doing this and, if so, what's the secret!?

P.S. Please don't respond with helpful tips like, "If you want to store metadata with an audio file, just save it as an MP3, since that doesn't answer my actual question. ;)

DAW Specs & Software: Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard, i7 920, 12 GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar Platinum, Scarlett Focusrite 8i6
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: How to add metadata to a Broadcast wav file when exporting audio from Sonar Platinum? 2017/06/08 20:14:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jacksop 2017/06/09 01:53:17
The "standard" for tagging fields is Tag&Rename. http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
This tags in wav-files are shown in the windows explorer.
But the metadata set with Tag&Rename are not shown in SONAR - and set in SONAR they are not shown in Tag&Rename.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
cglensmith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: How to add metadata to a Broadcast wav file when exporting audio from Sonar Platinum? 2017/06/08 22:04:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jacksop 2017/06/09 01:53:11
Thanks for sharing THambrecht.

Well, I think I found the answer. Sonar help implies that only the notes browser artist field is taken and stored with the file, and nothing else from the notes browser. From the Export Audio help, and I quote "ORIGINATOR: The author of the Broadcast wave. This information is taken from the Artist field in the Notes Browser (see Using the Notes Browser)." Too bad, as it would be a neat feature to automatically add other relevant metadata from the notes browser to the file, like you can in other audio programs like Sound Forge. That said, when I actually do create a broadcast wave file, I  can not tell where it actually stores the "originator" or artist field. I can't see it in windows explorer, at least. Perhaps this is embedded inside the file and is not really metadata at all. Oh, well. Looks like other software, like Sound Forge or the tagging program suggested above are the only options. 

DAW Specs & Software: Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard, i7 920, 12 GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar Platinum, Scarlett Focusrite 8i6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1